Who's More Damaged--Danny or Lindsay? Thread #2

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by CSI Cupcake, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Welcome back! :)

That's a fair point. I can see Flack leaving Danny's personal life for him to sort through. Flack seemed to make what happened in that episode about him and Danny and not anything external, which fair enough--Flack was the one who chased Danny all over town and risked his neck for Danny. Who Danny is sleeping with or doing whatever with is Danny's business, and Flack would respect that.

I think she intended to, but I think Lindsay may have been putting it off. If she'd been hellbent on talking to Danny then, she wouldn't have stopped to talk to Mac. And as much as I think what they said to each other was honest, I think Lindsay kind of felt let off the hook a little bit. Mac isn't good at dealing with Danny either (he's better than he thinks he is, actually, and certainly better at it than Lindsay is), so Lindsay kind of found a kindred spirit on the issue in that moment.

Yeah, I could see that if she did go and say that to him, he'd take it as a form of rejection or her saying, "I don't want to deal with you now. Take it to someone who can." Which isn't what she meant, but how insecure Danny would take it.

I can see that. She was giving him what she would have needed, not what he needed. But if she really knew him, she would know he needed the support and to talk about it--in which case she took the coward's way.

Agreed... for Lindsay it was much more, a sign of how their relationship was devolving. Danny took it literally--she was mad he forgot her birthday. Good point about the lunch being the final rejection, though again, I can't help but come back to her needing to reach out to him in an apparent way--"I want to be there for you"--rather than going about it the way she did, in ways that could be misinterpreted.

I do think Lindsay's inability to be there for him pushed him away, and I think it just highlights why they're not good for each other. Ultimately, their problems add up to bad communication, which they've never bridged, even now that they're married and have a child.

I would very much like to see that as well!

Maybe, though I don't think Danny was ever unfriendly to her (except for when he confronted her in RND)--reserved maybe, but Danny is a pretty warm guy.

Possibly, but she might have done it in a way that seemed confrontational, which would have led him to try to brush it off or diffuse the situation in one way or another. Unless she sat him down and said, "I need to know what's going on with you," which I think we can safely say she didn't, it seems to me that it's likely whatever conversation happened between them wasn't very meaningful or deep. They communicate very badly.

He did give her more credit back in seasons two and three, but I can see why that kind of eroded during season four. Here he is in his time of need, and his girlfriend--who he was so supportive of and good to in season three before they were even dating--can't be bothered to return the favor. Danny probably did think less of her seeing her not reaching out to him. I think that's why part of the reason he did want to get back together with her, or at least be on good terms again--he realized she actually cared about him.

I didn't notice that--just intensity coming off of Flack. I might have to go back and re-watch that scene! I think he was also surprised to find her there.

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I honestly don't know whether D/L could've worked out had they re-arranged the presentation of their emotional issues...I don't know, I always thought it kind of made sense the way things were now. I mean, it's interesting how you rearranged Playing with Matches and DOA for a Day - Danny being fine bantering around with Lindsay, but forgetting her birthday in the very next episode - purely in terms of logic, it doesn't make sense, but in terms of their relationship as it appeared to be throughout S4, it seemed very consistent. He's always been fine bantering around with her, it's almost like he views that aspect of their relationship completely separate from the fact that they're in a (presumably) boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. Getting into this...

See, I still see Danny forgetting Lindsay's birthday as being very consistent with what their relationship seemed to be like in the beginning of S4, the little we saw of it. I'm willing to place bets that he forgot her birthday this year, in S5, too (although of course, we probably won't ever find out). Maybe he just shut down from the emotional aspect of his and Lindsay's relationship from the very beginning of season 4, maybe it was because he was shying from that emotional tie, but either way it just never once seemed like he was interested in that emotional aspect of their relationship. At least, not past "Snow Day", not until Lindsay started shutting him out in Personal Foul. Remembering a birthday

I'm not sure about Danny's earlier brush-offs being related to work. I can definitely see it in the condom spray thing (although what struck me a lot in that episode was how Danny rolled his eyes before shutting the laptop on Lindsay in the beginning - it just really seemed like he was impatient with her), but Lindsay's way of telling him she was worried in The Deep was (I thought) fairly appropriate for work. How hard would it have been to say even "Don't worry about it" when she was going on about watching and not being able to do anything? He managed that much for Hawkes, when Hawkes was saying thanks. And who, except for that museum guy, was watching in Commuted Sentences?

Yeah, I can see Flack deciding to just not get involved, although I think he would've had to tell her something. Just because I don't see Lindsay being worried, then suddenly okay with Danny and then Flack seemingly dropping off the face of the earth until she saw them on their next shift...so maybe if Flack didn't say anything, she would've gone directly to the source of her worry?

Hmmm...was he involved with Rikki that early? I guess that's possible too, though I really don't see him being able to hide it that long. The reason I'm pretty convinced Lindsay knew about the Rikki-affair is because she read it in his face when he was walking off the elevator (and then couldn't meet her eyes) in RND.

That's why looking at them in a relationship is just weird for me! Because Danny seems to have all the consideration in the world for Lindsay when he's just treating her as a friend, then seems to shut down entirely (to her) whenever something emotional/personal comes up in S4 - that's just not...I don't see how you just turn feelings on and off like that.

I think I definitely agree about Danny seeing Rikki and Lindsay as existing in different worlds. But I have to say, that's pretty much why I don't see his interactions with Lindsay being particularly affected by what he may or may not have been doing with Rikki. Because he was able to compartmentalize them, it wasn't like one of them got shafted for the other.

3. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

Thanks! :)

He definitely would respect that. I've always had the vibe from Flack and Danny that they keep their friendship away from each other's romantic lives. Flack obviously didn't share the fact he had a girlfriend in S4 with Danny and Danny didn't seem to talk to Flack about Lindsay.

I think she stopped to talk to Mac partly because of her own inadequacies but partly because Danny brushed her concern off. He clearly couldn't talk at that moment and I suspect she took that literally rather than assuming the place was the wrong setting and following him out. I do think Lindsay would have fared better if she'd had the 'conversation' with someone like Stella.

And I think that's the crux of their s4 issues. Lindsay didn't really know him, I think she got carried away by his support of her and then couldn't really deal with his issues when they reared themselves. While I believe that she did genuinely fall in love with him, I'm not sure that she really knew him for that love to be necessarily sustainable. That's probably the main reason why I don't like that tptb brushed it all under the carpet and had them get married off the bat. There's a chance they can address their issues while being married but it would've felt much more genuine if they had been given the chance to do that first.

4. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Oh wow, I feel like I'm so behind! :p

I think that Mac might be better at dealing with Danny because Danny actually talks to Mac when he has a problem. I don't know if Mac was the one who found Danny in the morgue during Child's Play, but remembering things like Run Silent, Happily Never After, and Green Piece, sometimes it really seems like Mac just has to be there, and Danny trusts him. Which definitely plays into the whole father-figure bit, though I do agree that Mac is better at being there for Danny than Lindsay is.

Oh, I don't think Danny was unfriendly-in-a-mean-way to her, either, but maybe reserved is the right word. PWM was, I think, the only time in S4 he seemed to try in a way reminiscent to the way he tried in season 2/3 - trying to make her laugh, being happy when she at least smiled, it was probably the most reciprocative he'd been to Lindsay's interest all season. So, it's weird it only happened after she did him a favour.

Lol, yeah, I can't see it having been a meaningful conversation - I think that was at least part of the reason Lindsay was so initially sullen in PWM. I think she might've asked, and he (perceiving confrontation - maybe Lindsay gave off the confrontation vibe) fobbed her off. They really do communicate horribly, yeah.

Even Lindsay, socially crippled as she is, was able to tell Danny what she needed from him in Season 3 - space. He didn't listen, and that was probably to her benefit, but she was still able to communicate what she needed. I'm really not buying that if Danny had just done the same, told her what he needed, Lindsay wouldn't have done it. He didn't say a word. I think I agree that, on some level, he blamed her for not reaching out to him, after all he'd done for her. I just don't think he has much of a high ground to make that judgement, given that he ran from/ignored/didn't bother to notice the times she did try for him. They really don't seem to know each other, not in any way that would matter for a relationship.

Yeah, Flack was intense in that scene, and I'm sure surprise had at least a little to do with his sharpness. But Danny was surprised - and acted like it. Flack just seemed a little stand-offish, though Flack and Danny are really different, so maybe that doesn't say much!

ETA: Um, feel a little embarrassed, could someone show me how to do the double-quote thing properly? I keep messing them up...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  5. Top41

I just don't see Danny being thoughtless in that way, but it is possible that he's a typical guy in that, since that's what he seemed to brush it off as.

Good points... I guess I fall back on him maybe just not liking her as much anymore. And fair enough--sometimes you get into a relationship with someone you think you really like and then discover that you don't like that person so much after you really get to know them in a relationship setting. That would kind of track, too, with the relationship totally cooling by the time Ruben died--maybe Danny was hoping she'd step up to the plate and really be there for him, and then when she didn't, he shut her out completely (aside from the friendly colleague stuff).

And that would track with him going back to her after she told him she loved him--Danny's so insecure that he thinks he'll never find that. So the fact that Lindsay does love him would make him cling to her, and maybe view her in a more positive light. She must be awesome if she can love a mess like him, right?

Yeah, I guess she'd have to know something. Maybe Flack did fill her in afterwards, and once again she waited for Danny to come to her rather than going to him.

See, that's a big leap to me. How would she make the leap from him being evasive with her, and possibly being weird because he knew she was mad about the lunch, to knowing he's been sleeping with another woman? I've never bought Danny's assumption that she knew about Rikki, though, and that's what's always made it harder for me to sympathize with her throughout the whole thing. I think if she knew about Rikki, she would have said something about that... and been more pissed at him than herself.

Exactly, and that's just kind of an off way of thinking to me. Another sign of Danny's damage in my book.

They don't seem to double-date, that's for sure. I don't think they avoid the topic altogether, though--Danny joked about Flack's girlfriend in that season four episode, and Flack made the crack about Danny needing to piss Lindsay off more often.

I do come back to Danny being on his way out...yeah, he didn't stop when she came in and called his name, but one look at him would have told her he was going off to break down. It probably wasn't the right time, but I don't think she ever went out of her way to find another right time. Not out of not caring, but out of not being able to put herself out in that way.

Yeah, exactly. I've never been a fan of them as a couple, but if we'd seen their issues addressed and seen Lindsay make some advancements to be good for Danny in the way he did for her, I'd have been more on board with it. Instead, we've only seen Danny making changes and compromises. That speech he gave her at the courthouse wasn't romantic at all--it was just sad. He was saying he could be what she wanted him to be, which came from a place of insecurity and need.

Mac is there a lot of the time, but he also makes the effort, even though he isn't very good at it. I remember how he came to the hospital at the end of RSRD to check on Danny, and how he held Danny while he cried. Probably not an easy thing for Mac to do, but he made the effort. And Lindsay can't? She needs to.

I guess I didn't pick up on that all that much in that episode (another one I need to see again!). What I did notice was that it was just business as usual between them in a colleagues sense--just totally weirdly back to normal after what happened in the previous episode. I chalked it up to bad continuity more than anything else.

Yeah, that's their biggest problem as a couple. They just don't talk to each other--we saw that even in season five, after Danny chased the suspect and lied to Lindsay about everything being fine, and even in the hospital when they both confided their fears in other people. They just don't talk to each other, and I can't see how they can have a relationship when they don't do that. The only time I can recall them having an honest-to-goodness conversation about their relationship was in "The Triangle."

Lindsay told Danny what she needed because he asked her. He went to her, over and over, to see what she needed and finally after being goaded, she told him. Had Lindsay gone to Danny, he might have told her what he needed. Danny is a talker--I find it hard to believe if she'd reached out to him and pressed him a little, that he wouldn't have opened up to her. I think he's not capable of not doing that, really--Danny's like an open wound. She just didn't make the effort to do that. I can see how he wouldn't go to her, sit her down and say, "This is what I need." That's not his responsibility, any more than it would have been for her to preemptively walk up to him in season three and say she was dealing with something and needed space. Once she showed him she cared, then yeah, it would have been on him to open up. But not before.

I kind of chalked it up to him being worried for her. It was less intense than when he found Danny in danger in "All in the Family"--I thought he was going to blow a gasket then!--but kind of along the same lines. Stella is his friend, he cares about her, and isn't thrilled to see her at the apartment of a guy they're going to question about a murder.

Don't be embarrassed--it can be tricky! It's all about making sure the quote boxes are all there. Example below (with spaces in between the brackets and the word quote, so the system doesn't actually do the coding):

[ quote ]Top41 says:
    [ quote ]Jellybelly says:
    [ quote ]Maya316 says:
    Danny is one messed up mo-fo![ /quote ]

I'll say! [ /quote ]

He really is! [ /quote ]

So just make sure all the quote tags are there around the individual comments. You have to add them in yourself, which is kind of a pain.

Without the spaces, here's what it looks like...

6. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yeah...that's kind of been my default-fallback to explaining the season-4 edition of D/L too. It's just one of my many irritations with this pairing, though. They never seem to be on an even footing, even with regards to how much they like (or don't like) each other - it's always she's suddenly more interested than he, then he's suddenly more interested than her, then she's suddenly interested while he's not so much, then when she gets less interested he's suddenly all interested, and then when she gets back interested... I just want to scream "shut up, call off the whole thing already and stop wasting so much screentime!" :shifty:

Given Danny's insecurities, I guess I can see how Lindsay's being in love with him would suddenly make her more appealing to him...which is sad, but yeah, I can see this. I'm not sure how much his renewed efforts after RND came from this, though, and not from the fact that she was just suddenly out of his reach. I mean, as of mid-RND he knew she was in love with him. But the efforts to get back together only came in PF, after she'd blown him off a couple of times. (Sorry, I'm kind of discounting LWFM because that episode just makes more sense if he was only interested in being a friend with the movie-renting thing.)

Hmm, yeah I can also see things having played out that way. Especially about the Lindsay waiting for Danny to come to her.

It is a big-leap-conclusion, yeah. I guess the reason I've always made it is because - with the extremely limited information we usually get about the characters' personal lives on CSI shows - I can't really see the writers throwing around misleading, if vague hints about said personal information. It's kind of why I draw my conclusion of Danny being a somewhat-lax boyfriend in general because of the Jamalot phone-call, the flippancy-about-the-bar-mitzvah thing, and the new-hook-up in Risk - these things are ambiguous enough to not really say anything, but we get so little information about Danny's personal life as it is, why mislead us? With the Lindsay-Danny-Rikki deal, there was Lindsay's "jealousy" comment during her spiel, and Danny's seeming-conviction that she knew about the affair; I've always taken it as a given that Lindsay knew something about the drama in All in the Family (which necessitates her knowing about Rikki's involvement), and let's face it, Danny wasn't exactly smooth-talking when he was blowing her off for lunch. It's all pretty ambiguous - Lindsay may actually not know squat, and never will until/unless the affair comes up. But I just don't see the point of the writers using what little they gave us to hint that Lindsay knows, when she actually doesn't. I know they do it in shows like Grey's Anatomy, but I'm so unsure on how procedural shows handle this kind of drama.

So true, because it always baffles me how Danny was able to separate the two events/people so completely. So I can definitely see it as damage. Strangely, it seems to come from the same thing that allows Danny to separate Lindsay-girlfriend from Lindsay-friend-and-coworker (something else that baffles me).

Thank you! Yes, I definitely agree with this (and I hated that speech too, btw)! Easily the best D/L scene ever, imo, was the break-up in Right Next Door, because the writers at least were addressing their issues, even if the characters weren't so much. I could totally get behind seeing Lindsay make some kind of change, though I think change could be made on both sides - I don't know how much Danny's changes and compromises have to do with Lindsay as much as Lucy. I think they have way more to do with the baby. I'm still crossing my fingers for some sort of break-up in Season 6, having to do with these issues. But if they could address and work through said issues without breaking up...I'm iffy, but I think I could get behind seeing that, too. If it were done really, really well.

True...I really would like to see Lindsay make that effort, because Mac seems to - and while I don't think he's as damaged as her (since he at least has a healthy relationship with Stella), it can't be that much easier for him.

Hmm...they came close in the Triangle, yeah, but I don't know how much of that was addressing issues, as opposed to Lindsay soothing his fears that he had to marry her to stop her running off with his baby (which he then chose to ignore, apparently, in Green Piece). But they definitely need to talk more. Lindsay, definitely, has to stop waiting for Danny to take the lead, because...well, he won't. (That thing with the shootout in Point of No Return is partly why I find it easy to believe Lindsay asked about why he skipped work in All in the Family, and Danny just didn't tell her.).

Sorry, my computer's about to log-off, so I'll be back to add to/edit this in like, 50 seconds :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  7. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Hey want to post on this thread a bit more but my computer is being annoying:scream: will try to come back later

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  8. Top41

The back and forth is definitely annoying! They're never on the same page, yet another reason they don't work as a couple. They're married now, but there still totally seems to be a distance between them. They never seem natural as a couple.

I guess it could be that--he had the same pattern with Mac back in season one. The more Mac got upset with him, the harder he tried to please Mac. Again, I think it's a sign of some abuse in Danny's past, or some mentality that's not healthy--the more people push him away or disapprove of him, the more desperate he is to win that approval. It's just kind of sad.

I guess those things told me something different--that Danny is used to being pursued in a relationship, that he's often in a relationship and perhaps afraid of being alone. Specifically... the bar mitzvah thing thing tells me he's not much of a party guy, and he's grumbling about it, but he's still going to go because he likes the girl. I admit I dismiss the ringtone thing as an advertisement--there was promotion about Coldplay's new single being released on the show. The train girl thing tells me he's shy and responds to women's interest in him--similarly to how he responded to Lindsay's interest in him. In fact, it was just after that episode that Lindsay's interest really started to show through, in "Stuck on You" and "Cool Hunter."

I guess I took the jealousy comment more vaguely...that she might have been jealous that he was confiding in other people or that she was just jealous in general because he was blowing her off and not spending time with her (and perhaps choosing others over her). It's vague, though, so I can definitely see the other interpretation--that she did suspect about Rikki. I just wish it had been a lot less vague. And I keep coming back to if she did know about Rikki, why wasn't she more mad?

I wonder if it's some sort of dissociation associated with abuse. If Danny was abused by someone he trusted, it's possible in his mind he separated the personality he trusted/loved from the one that abused him. Presumably that person did treat him well sometimes, at the very least in public. So, with his dad as an example...maybe he just separated the dad who was affectionate from the dad who beat him, until in his mind it was almost like his dad was two different people. Or if it was an uncle molesting him--it he separated the uncle who was friendly and warm at family gatherings with the guy who went into his room at night.

I would have liked it more if it hadn't been so one-sided. Lindsay got to have her say, but Danny never got to have his. That's always bothered me, but it's in character. When someone lays into Danny, he just shuts down rather than fighting back.

I think they have to do with the baby, but Lindsay was the one he said he'd change for. Even if he's just trying to placate her so they can have the happy family he's always wanted, he's trying to be what she wants him to be.

Only if it's not more back and forth. I don't want a season of Lindsay leaving him and Danny having to grovel to get her back. It might be nice to see the other way around for once--to see Lindsay really fight for Danny.

9. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Exactly! I feel like my brain implodes every time I try to understand how they could not have figured this out for themselves after four years of this. They're never on the same page with anything, not even with how much they like each other. And the really irritating thing is, I don't think I'd be as irritated with the back-and-forth-ing if it didn't completely cripple a) their ability to act like normal people with each other and with other people in general, and b) their ability to choose common sense over self-destruction.
    I mean, I was fine with the Rachel/Ross back-and-forthing on Friends, mostly because Rachel and Ross didn't seem as determined to step all over themselves and each other when they were on the outs, or even when they weren't.

It is sad....and I agree it has to come from some sort of abuse in his past. Mental, maybe physical - though I'm less sure of the physical aspect, since he doesn't seem to have any flinching-problems [like Adam], or problems with touching or being touched. I guess I just wish that, whatever it is, he'd find out about it fast and get it fixed. Because I think it's far more troubling in a D/L context. I mean, pleasing Mac - he takes it to an unhealthy, I-will-do-this-no-matter-what-it-takes-or-die-trying extent. I think part of the reason he chased Little Stevie without a vest in Point of No Return was because he didn't want to let Mac down, or seem irresponsible/useless (because he forgot his vest), even though Mac specifically told him to stay in the car. But no one's getting hurt there, because it's just pleasing your boss - not Mac, not even Danny really. But he takes the whole pleasing thing to the same unhealthy extent with Lindsay, and I think it's fairly obvious that everyone involved, including Lucy now, is getting hurt there. And it's not by choice, for at least one of them, maybe two (I totally think Lindsay would be the one to let go, if she wasn't weak herself when it came to him.)

I don't know, I think it might also be a tendency I have to just take things in a general, wider context. Like, with the (comparatively) little bit we've been given on Danny and Louie's relationship, I'd assume that Danny is the one who has to look out for Louie on slightly-superficial things (money) and was irritated about it, but that he really looked up to him as kids anyway, and knew perfectly well that Louie was the protective one when it came to the big issues. Not once did he seem surprised when it turned out Louie bailed him out of trouble in Run Silent - he just seemed sad.

On the response to interest, though...I don't know, I'd half-assume that Lindsay's interest had to have been showing long before Stuck on You and Cool Hunter, if he was responding to it. He seemed fairly interested in City of the Dolls (asked her to go to lunch) and again in Risk.

It's true - I wish that, since the writers are giving us next to nothing about these characters' personal lives, they'd at least make what they give us explicit, rather than just hint at it. But with the "so over" waves Danny was radiating, I always figured that Lindsay just didn't bring up Rikki directly because that would've been even more embarrassing than the love slip - even when she (maybe) brought Rikki up vaguely, she was doing it to tell Danny not to mistake her anger for just jealousy. He clearly didn't think she had any claim on him at that point, or if he did, that it was a very superficial one. There was not much way to bring Rikki up without looking like the clingy girlfriend.

I could see that, given that the few times he's reminiscing about his past (the pier diving with Louie in The Deep, the memory of the gypsy-cab in Dove Commission), his memories seem for the most part fond, or at least indignant on his family's behalf. Yet it's so obvious that something happened there, and he just never seems to think about it, but it shows.

But applying this to the way he seems to dissociate Lindsay is a little confusing. The Lindsay-friend-and-coworker is presumably the Lindsay he trusts, since he gets along great with her all the time. That would mean the Lindsay-girlfriend is the one who he saw as able to abuse him (since that's the one he pulls away from)...but he only ever pulls away from that one when she's showing him she cares. I could see how he'd think shemight later abuse him, only the times when she is actually doing something that could (in some ways) be seen as abuse - blowing him off, pushing him away - are the times he seems most drawn to her. :wtf: Gah.

Maybe, the times when she's seemingly-abusing him are the times he's most determined to fix things, but then when things are actually fixed he's scared that she'll abuse him again, so he pulls away? Huh, but that kind of leaves Lindsay in a catch-22.

True, it would've been loads better if Danny had said something back. I sort-of thought he had his say later in the episode, when he said "I'm sorry" (I was taking it to mean "I'm sorry I can't feel the same way about you" - which he really didn't, still doesn't.). Of course, this was shortly re-routed by later episodes, so ....

But honestly, I don't think Lindsay wants him to be anything other than in love with her. (Which, yeah, is basically what he was promising in that speech, but he was so not telling the truth, so I can't really see it as a compromise or a change.)

I mean, good and responsible father, less prone to reckless action - maybe she might just want these out of common sense, but she's never really indicated that; and additionally I think a large part of what attracts Lindsay seems to be Danny's recklessness.

Oh yeah, definitely not with the back-and-forth. I'd be okay with Lindsay leaving him, but not with Danny grovelling, or trying to get her back. This is what's been compounding the problem for the past three years, and I'm just ready to drop-kick them both at this point. My ideal wish would be for Danny to sort out his issues at least enough to decide that he doesn't want/need Lindsay back - because he really doesn't: he barely seems to like her when they're together as a couple, and it's all but wrecking their friendship. And then (if they absolutely must stick with D/L), for Lindsay to fight for him, give him a reason to even want her back. I guess I'd be interested to see if Danny would still be attracted without his issues. And if he's not, they both move on.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  10. Top41

I didn't mind Ross and Rachel either, in part because I felt they had actual chemistry and in part because what happened with them more or less seemed natural. The issues they faced were organic, rather than coming out of left field. Danny and Lindsay just don't seem to connect, ever.

I noticed him recoil/flinch when Mac got really angry at him in "Crime & Misdemeanor." It was just a little thing, though, but telling in my book. Danny isn't quite the type to flinch, though. For me it was telling in "Snow Day" that even after Adam had made it to safety (and Danny could see that he had--he was facing Adam), Danny continued to taunt their captors, knowing they'd kick his ass. Why? That always made me wonder. On some fundamental level, Danny really invites abuse.

I don't know if I agree with that. Danny seems to seek some sort of deep affirmation and approval from Mac, so when he doesn't get that, he really seems hurt. And going to the lengths of chasing a suspect without a vest just to please his boss could get him killed.

Maybe, though again, Lindsay is perfectly content to take from him so long as he gives her what she wants. And Danny will just keep going out of his way to please her until she stops him and tells him she cares about what he wants, too. Because no one ever really says that to Danny, and I don't think Danny thinks about or even really knows what he wants for himself. Lucy is probably the first thing he's really wanted for himself on his own, without outside prompting.

Sure, though I don't think Danny had to look out for Louie until they were both adults. I think Louie protected Danny in the way older brothers protect younger ones.

I think the "City of the Dolls" thing was the first instance of him really thawing to her and seeing her not just as Aiden's replacement. I also think he was responding to her interest there--he took her hand to show her something and she kind of held on/looked into his eyes. They both pulled away and he just fell back on a default response for when he picks up on someone's interest. As for "Risk," given that he approached the girl on the train after telling Lindsay she looked nice, I didn't take that bit too seriously, though it does show he's attracted to her as well.

Hmmmm... I never really thought of it that way. Though that would put them as a lot less committed than I assumed they were in season four. It was so ill-defined... I think that's a lot of the problem here.

Yeah, and who knows who did it to him? It could be a relative we haven't heard about yet, or someone else Danny trusted.

Yes and no. The abuse is what Danny's used to--it might be cruel and terrible, but it's familiar and he knows what to expect. But when she's nice to him and treats him well, that's going to be when he's most ill at ease, because he doesn't know when that's going to change and she's going to turn on him. It's that change that would be the scariest to him and perhaps why he seemed so ill at ease with her being nice and warm to him. Why get used to it and enjoy it when she's just going to turn on him? Of course, he becomes his own self-fulfilling prophecy by not opening himself up to the good aspects of their relationship, but that's the tragedy of Danny Messer.

To be fair, I think Danny went in to trying to connect with her with only the best of intentions. It's when she started to mistreat him in season three that it fell into a pattern he was familiar with.

She needs to show him she's not going to turn on him the minute things get a little rocky, and then get him into therapy. And get herself into therapy, too. :lol:

Wasn't her monologue close to the end of the episode? Again, I haven't seen it since last year, but I remember it being in Act 3 or 4, and there not really being another scene between them afterwards.

I think she wants him to fit into the good, devoted boyfriend/husband role she slotted him for.

She's attracted to his "otherness"--the fact that he's so different from her. I think that's what attracts a lot of people to Danny--Mac, Flack, even Stella to some extent. He's passionate and vulnerable, whereas they're much more in control.

Yeah, it would be cool to see that. I really doubt they'll split at this point unless one of them leaves the show, but it would be nice to see Lindsay really figure out how to be there for Danny. I feel like we've seen the reverse, and it's time for her to grow as a character in that way.

11. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Huh, I really have to watch C&M again...but yeah, I remember that about Snow Day. It was weird...I think I thought at the time that he a) wanted to make it a convincing show, or b) give Adam time to hide what he'd taken from the kit. But there was no real reason to practically ask them to kick his ass...he invites abuse, but why? Wouldn't he want to avoid it as much as possible (which seems to be the standard response for abuse victims, flinching, recoiling from touch)?

True about the chasing a suspect without a vest... but Danny seems to do things that could get him killed a lot of the time, and often those things have nothing to do with pleasing Mac (jumping off a building to catch a suspect? Jumping onto a suspect on a moving motorcycle? I think he did both of these during S3.). As for the approval from Mac...I agree that he seeks it a lot, more than anyone seeks approval from just their boss. But at the same time, Mac usually has very little trouble giving him said approval, because I think it's easier to gain without involving pain. I don't think Danny can have missed the fact that Mac is one of his biggest fans, and he rarely (if ever) has to play on that fact to gain the approval he seeks from Mac.

I don't know, she seemed pretty angry when he wasn't giving her something of himself she wanted (for him to share his pain with her). And I don't think she's getting what she wants from Danny now, or else the walls wouldn't still be up - but she's still with him. But yeah, she definitely has to actually tell him she cares about what he wants ... and wow, I so agree about Lucy. It never even occurred to me before, but I could so see Lucy being that for Danny.

I agree about Louie's protectiveness, but I'm a little less sure about how early Danny was looking out for Louie. It was interesting how, in the Run Silent flashback, Danny seemed to be the one owning/driving the car and all bored with Sonny's antics (before he started slapping the kid around). It just seems like he knew Tanglewood was bad news from the start and disliked them for it, even then, which begs the question, why go with them that night, unless it was to look out for Louie? Danny kind of made it sound (when he was talking to Mac) like he went because he wanted to have fun and fit in, but this doesn't mesh with what he told Mac in S1 about Tanglewood - that they asked him to join, and he said no. Of course, I have no idea how old Danny/Louie were in that flashback; I thought they were supposed to be 19-ish, which I guess is kind of adult.

I think she didn't have such a slot until late season 3/early season 4, and thus it was based entirely around Danny being the far-more-caring-though-essentially-the-same guy he was back then. And, well, it seems reasonable enough to me to expect your boyfriend/husband to care about you. She seemed to find it easy enough to be there for Danny, show that she cared for him, when he was that guy, probably because he wasn't shutting down/pulling away every time she did (although she did seem fairly stung when he brushed off her concern in The Deep).

Of course, she was probably expecting him to be that caring guy all the time, thus showing she never really understood his issues.

I don't know, I picked up on Lindsay's interest in Bad Blood (the episode with the Walrus documentary?), although it wasn't definitive enough to be sure. I remember her holding his gaze in City of the Dolls, so I guess she showed interest there too (although why she then turned him down for lunch is a mystery)...and yeah, I didn't take the thing in Risk seriously either, though I don't think showing interest necessarily means he'd have to be committed to that interest.

Yeah, it definitely is tragic. I'm unsure with just how much Danny went in trying to connect with her - I still really think he only got interested once she started turning him down (I guess, he started inviting the abuse). I guess he might've cared to some degree in late season 2, but it really seemed then like he'd be up for just a casual fling, like Lindsay was.

Oh yes! I just want to lock these two in a room with a shrink and throw away the key - or at least, not let them out for a couple of weeks.

There was a brief scene even closer to the end, after the monologue, when Lindsay was tracking down greenhouses to locate the kidnapped kids. Stella left for a second, and then Danny said "I'm sorry...we should talk" (or something like that), and she kind of gave him this look but then got a hit on the kids' location.

Well yeah, there's also that. But I do think Lindsay's at least partly intrigued by his recklessness, because I honestly can't remember a time when she tried to change this (or anything else about him). Or maybe it's just his spontaneity. There was his spontaneous fly to Montana, then the thing with the pool table (why not just make it to the bed?) - then she seemed completely blown away by the fact that he took her shift without asking her, plus all the times she's seemed to be most impressed by him are times when he's risking his life to save someone else's (The Deep) or asking him to marry her by dragging her to the courthouse first...

12. Top41

Danny is nothing if not unique. :lol: It does seem odd, but then it's not really that much different than him seeking out Lindsay when he knows she's just going to kick him or treat him badly. It really seems like Danny thinks he deserves abuse on some fundamental level.

I think Danny has absolutely missed that Mac is one of his biggest fans. He just sees the negative--like in "On the Job," when Mac told him that Mac was told not to hire Danny, what Danny focused on was not how much Mac obviously did want to hire him, but that people had spoken negatively about him. Even though Mac was promising him in that episode that he'd work things out, Danny never seemed to trust him to do so. Danny seems to expect he'll fail Mac. When Mac is pleased with him or saying something nice to him, Danny never seems to know what to say or how to handle it.

Did she really want him to share his pain with her, or did she just think she did, or that she should want that? Again, I come back to her not reaching out to him, and letting others deal with his emotional breakdowns (Flack).

I think she has known all along that he wants to marry her because of the baby. That's not likely to make her very confident.

Danny wanted that baby from the moment he found out, very much. His excitement this entire season has not been about Lindsay, but the child. From the name to worrying about her dating to fussing over lab workers being near her...Danny is all about that kid. I think he was so antsy about Lindsay going to Montana without them being married because she was taking with her the one thing he really truly wants--their child.

I think Danny probably wanted to be near his older brother. What traumatized Danny in RSRD was that he thought his brother rejected him--I felt like the antagonism towards Louie before that (about being irresponsible, etc.) all stemmed from that rejection. As a teen, he probably still looked up to Louie, even if the Tanglewood boys didn't impress him that much.

It is, but she got upset with Danny once he stepped out of the box she'd put him in. It might come back to her control issues--she'd figured out how they were supposed to be together, and then here was unpredictable Danny, falling apart on her and not doing what she assumed he'd do (come to her, get over it more easily, whatever).

I remember that--she teased him about the video being footage from his 30th b'day party. The crush was definitely evident then. Danny either missed or ignored it, at least in that episode.

I don't know if he thought that far ahead. I think like he does with everyone in his life, he'd come to care about her. He showed concern for her in "Stealing Home" and "All Access." Danny's just pretty caring overall.

Right, I remember that now. Obviously it wasn't the time, but presumably she never did let him have his say... a big part of the problem I have with her. You can't dump on someone and not let them say their piece.

Is it his spontaneity or just how sweet he is, how much he cares for others, and how far he's willing to go for those he cares about? For someone like Lindsay, who's so reserved and never extends herself for others, Danny must be a complete and total enigma. I think she's drawn to someone who's so warm, so caring, so giving... totally the opposite of who she is. Opposites do attract, I guess. I've never really seen what he's seen in her though, other than another person who will mistreat him.

13. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yes, he is unique...though I think there's a significant difference between actively seeking out a brutal pummeling and leaving yourself open to possible rejection because someone needs their space. At the very least, he seems to have something else on his mind than absorbing life-threatening abuse whenever he hunts Lindsay down for whatever reason - he doesn't really seem to expect abuse in a lot of those cases, even if he gets it. Whereas I really can't explain what he was doing in Snow Day. He knew that a beat-down was going to hurt, yet he was asking for it anyway.

He was on shaky footing with Mac during the first season, yeah (and maybe most of the second), but in later seasons he's seemed more secure of his place in Mac's affections, even as he's often desperate to keep pleasing him. The one thing I liked about Green Piece was the Mac/Danny talk - you could totally still see Danny searching for approval there, but it just showcased how far they'd come from "Tanglewood", where Danny seemed hesitant to talk about any feelings that might portray him in a bad light to Mac.

Then why yell about it when he didn't? I mean, I think it would eventually have shown if she hadn't wanted to deal with him at all, because she then probably wouldn't have a problem with the fact that he was turning to other people and not her. If anything, she'd probably have wanted him to do whatever it took to get over Ruben's death fast, so things could return to normal.

Exactly. I also don't think she's really getting what she wants by being with someone who's only interest in her (personally) is the baby she was carrying. But she wants him, so she's still with him.

Yes! I saw that exact same thing. It's not about Lindsay at all, it's about Lucy. Which makes me excited to see the Danny-->Lucy relationship in Season 6, but, well...how satisfying is that in a marriage, really?

I definitely agree about the antagonism, I think it came from that night. But I just get the feeling that Louie was irresponsible long before that night, only Danny didn't mind half as much.

Yeah...I could see this. Danny's unpredictability probably had a huge effect on her control issues, which probably caused the upset. But Danny has long since been out of the box she put him in. And, well, I haven't really seen him do anything (since Season 3, really) that would put him back in that box, but Lindsay seemed willing enough to overlook this in Green Piece.

Oh I agree, he's definitely caring...and I did notice that in Season 2. But it just really didn't seem like, even then, he expected her to care back, if that makes sense. It's just too bad that when other people do care back, he seems to shut down or ignore it.

I also wish Danny had gotten to say more. But isn't "I'm sorry, we need to talk" kind of the signature break-up phrase? That's how I took it first time I saw RND. And given the bomb she'd already dropped at that point, I could see why Lindsay might've taken it the same way.

Well, I think there's usually more than one thing that attracts someone to someone else, so while I agree about Danny's being an enigma to Lindsay, and about his sweetness, I really think she's at least party intrigued by his utter spontaneity. Of course, this all just ties into Danny being the one big enigma that he is (with different parts that make up that mystery).

On Lindsay, she's not exactly warm or great with giving...I don't know if I'd call her uncaring, though (that scene at the end of Rush to Judgement, where she gave the vic's wife a bouquet of white lilies - because she remembered said wife mentioning that that was the same present her husband would always buy her the day after their anniversary? I thought that was pretty caring).

On what's attracting Danny...well, given that he barely seems attracted most of the time, I'm not sure. But presumably something other than the chance of abuse does, because Lindsay seems to be the only person who abuses him in his life that he refuses to let go of. [Whoever Danny's been abused by in his past, he seems to have cut them entirely out of his fonder memories of his family, and they obviously don't come by his house that much anymore. Even Louie, who'd abused him that night in Run Silent's flashback, was for the most part cut out of his life.]

14. Top41

Ack! I just lost a whole reply to this. Grrrr! So this will be somewhat shorter than I originally intended...

And when he gets it, he takes it. Any normal guy would have been pissed off at her "I know you" or her tirade in "Right Next Door." Danny just sat there and accepted it. Given the number of times he's gone to her and she's been mean to him, I think there is a pattern there.

They're definitely on more solid ground now, which has been a nice evolution. I'm still not sure how much Mac gets Danny, though, and his many insecurities, given the advice he gave him in "Green Piece."

Because he wasn't her flirty, happy boyfriend anymore and that annoyed her. I know, that's a very negative light to view her in, but the way she treat him--kicking him when he was already very, very down--never has sat right with me. I think it showed a massive insensitivity on her part at best. Again, if she'd reached out to him and been shot down, that would have been a different story, but she didn't.

I think in season five he did everything he could to put himself back into that box of being that great, caring boyfriend she seemed to want. He seemed to try to put his issues on the shelf for her.

It's a self-fulfilling prophecy--he expects people not to care about him and misses it when they do or shuts down in the face of it (thinking he's undeserving of their care) and then when they get angry or fed up it just proves to him that he was right all along. Mac and Flack don't give up on him, but Lindsay basically did just that in season four, which is why I think he took it so badly. Someone who says she loves him and yet is also walking away from him? That was probably hard for him.

Maybe, but it could have also been an "I'm sorry I hurt you," which is how I took it. She never let him have his say, effectively guaranteeing they broke up.

Heh, all I remember from that scene was Belknap's stone face. But that was a nice gesture, though I did find it out-of-character since she'd never exhibited that kind of care for anyone before.

He invited Hawkes home for some of his mom's cooking one time, and has mentioned his mom before, so I think he's still close to his family.

As for Lindsay--I really can't see what attracted him at all! The foundation of their relationship is antagonism, and they don't seem to have a lot in common. I've never seen the draw for him.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

He was pissed off at her "I know you" - I remember he sounded at least as irritated as she did in that scene, and then he's the one who walked away first.

Not as sure about Right Next Door - I still saw him basically breaking up with her shortly after that scene, so...

I'd say the number of times she's been mean to him when he goes to her, kind of evenly match up with the number of times she's been willing to talk/be nice when he goes to her (3 and 3 each), which leads me to believe he doesn't really know what to expect...but it still doesn't seem like he goes in always expecting her blow-offs.

True, but then I don't think there's anyone on the show that actually, completely gets Danny. We do know that Mac's very fond of him, though, and I think Danny has at least been able to tell lately.

That would kind of match up with what I mentioned before - if all she wanted was her flirty, happy boyfriend back, she wouldn't care as much how he came back, just as long as he did. She probably wouldn't care who he went to talk to to get over Ruben's death, so long as he got over it.

She certainly could've handled the situation in that office better. But I'm not nearly as sympathetic to Danny in this case. Even if he was able to ignore/not notice Lindsay's attempts to support him (because that's literally what he would've had to be doing to not see them - ignoring or just not noticing her), I as a viewer saw them, so to me it's like she did reach out and was shot down. Flack, Mac, all kinds of people make allowances for Danny's emotional damage, but it's like it honestly doesn't occur to him that he should ever have to do the same. Because of course, they don't really care about him or what he thinks, according to him. I love him, so I can understand how his insecurities would make him think this kind of behaviour makes sense. But I can totally see how it also makes him act rather insensitive himself.

He did it for Lucy, not for her. It's not the same, and I think Lindsay was able to tell that. Only it didn't seem to matter for her.

It's probably at least as hard for the people whose care he shuts down in the face of. Only for Danny, it just seemed to get easier once she started walking away, because rather than proving him right, that seemed to be the only time he started to hardcore believe that she actually cared.

I do think Flack and Mac have done their work in letting him know that they won't give up on him, but on the other hand, they have more going for them. Danny tends to let them know that he's troubled, even to tell them what he needs (he outright told Mac in RSRD that he needed a friend, not a boss, even though he was still on shaky footing with him; he spilled to Flack about both Aiden and Rikki stealing his gun). Danny may not always believe they care, but he pays attention when they seem to want to help. Furthermore, Danny never seems to actually hurt them when he brushes off their care (Flack was peeved in All in the Family, but I doubt he was actually hurt).

True, I guess it could have been. In light of later episodes, that probably makes more sense (though it didn't seem like it at the time), but it's just irritating that it has to get to the point of hurting people before he decides to believe they care.

I don't remember Belknap's facial expression, I just remembered the gesture ;) But maybe she's just learning in baby steps to be more caring? In Boo, she brought that Rose (?) girl a teddy bear when they went to the hospital.

Immediate family, yeah I think he's still close with them. As for Lindsay...maybe he finds her funny, or likes that she laughs at his lamer jokes. I don't know, I can reel off a whole list of things I like about Lindsay, but I'd say Danny hasn't noticed any of them. Which basically confirms my belief that he barely likes her (as a girlfriend), he's just with her because he thinks she's the best he can get right now.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009