Learning German

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi Brinchen. :) Let me say I was NY-fan, until Aiden died. Now I tend switching to miami or LV. But never forget my dream-team. ;)

I´d love to teach LIZ german. Guess I´m a really patient teacher. :cool:

That's good. As you can see, we taught here a lot: grammar, vocabularies, etc. It's very funny!

Yes, it's sad with Aiden. Hope you don't hate me for being a Lindsay-fan as some Aiden-fans are doing! :D
I always hate it when main charakters die!

Edit: Hey, where is everyone??????

The English equivalent to "Huhu" would be something along the lines of "Hiya". It's very informal and solely used among friends. Although I actually never say it, I usualy just say "hi" or "hey" :p

sorry, i couldnt get on earlier. BUSY day. but i have been reading my German book so i wasnt totally not German today :D but thank you guys for the tips on the die, der, das it makes it a little more clearr. alot more clear than before, that is ;)

welcome to our thread Detective_Burn and your help would be amazing!!:D

lizanator112890 said:
sorry, i couldnt get on earlier. BUSY day. but i have been reading my German book so i wasnt totally not German today :D but thank you guys for the tips on the die, der, das it makes it a little more clearr. alot more clear than before, that is ;)

welcome to our thread Detective_Burn and your help would be amazing!!:D

I think the whole der, die, das thing is very difficult. In French you have two, la and le, and they are different from our der, die, das. I never got the rule for it, so I just learnt them.

Hi :D Cool thread. I'm doing German at school, and I really like it. I'm not very good though, because the teacher is rubbish and we have three people who mess around and completely disrupt the class. :(

I did the German exchange last year, which was fun. My exchange partner Kati said (as a joke) my brother was a "Nerfenzeger" (I think that needs some accents) and it took my mum and I ages to work out it meant something to do with irratating. :p

I find genders really hard, so I generally tend to learn only a few and use the same words over and over again! It also took me like two years of Latin to work out what each case meant :p.

Actually it's a "Nervensäge" :D, which literally means "nerve saw" :lol:, and you're right, it means someone is extremly annoying/gets on your nerves.

Other helpful words:

When:
"When will you be home"--Wann wirst du zu Hause sein.
"Will you call me when you get home?"--Wirst du mich anrufen wenn du nach Hause kommst?

If:
If I see her I will tell her--Falls ich sie sehe....

What:
What have you done?--Was hast du getan?

How:
How should I know?--Wie/Woher soll ich das wissen?
How can I get in contact...?--Wie kann ich dich erreichen?

Thanks for the translation Jorja_rain. It really does sum up my brother, lol.

I my favourite phrase is:

Ich habe keine Ahnung or just keine Anhung which means I have no idea / no idea :).

I've never watched CSI in German, I have watched CSI:Miami in French when I went to France. I had the subtitles on and managed to understand it OK, I don't know if I would be able to understand German though, because I've been learning it for half as long!

The DVDs that I have are only English though, but I can watch "Scrubs" in German. :D

I am so having bad memories with German grammar :lol:

My 6 years of studies didn't get me too far :lol:

And guys, like wibble said, this isn't interactive thing so don't be mad if someone doesn't reply right away ;)

never_again said:I've never watched CSI in German, I have watched CSI:Miami in French when I went to France. I had the subtitles on and managed to understand it OK, I don't know if I would be able to understand German though, because I've been learning it for half as long!

Yes, it's difficult to understand. And often the German voices aren't as good as the original voices.

DaWacko said:I am so having bad memories with German grammar

Oh yes, the German grammar isn't easy. There are some rules I learnt when I was at school, but for example the thing with Dativ, Genitiv, and so on I never really understood. Don't know why. :lol:

Okay, because nobody is writing anymore, here is something to learn:

Making sentences:

It's not very difficult. (I had Japanese for half a year, it's sooooo different)

For example:

I read a book.
S V O

And in German:

Ich lese ein Buch.
S V O

You see- it's the same. I used the Simple Present. The only difference is the word- ending. You only have to take the infinitive of the verb (read = lesen). As you know from our lesson before, lesen = ich lese.

If you want, you can try it on your own and ask me if there are questions.

My sentences for you.

I eat pizza. (I = ich, eat = essen, pizza = Pizza).

I write a letter. (write = schreiben, letter = Brief).

I don't use the continuous form, because as far as I know there isn't a continuous form in German. Or if there is one I don't know the rule for it, so I use the Simple Present if it's okay! :lol: Have fun with my sentences! And if there is something wrong, please tell me, I don't want to teach you something wrong! :D

The only thing coming close to the progressive/continous in German would be something like "Ich bin am Lesen" (I am reading)or "Ich bin dabei zu Lesen" (I'm in the process of reading).

alright so i am finally able to get back on the computer regularly :D

I eat pizza
Ich esse pizza

I write a letter
Ich schreibe ein brief

correct??

Yes, almost :D It's: "Ich schreibe einen Brief"

--> "letter" in this case is masculine and accusative, therefore it has to be einen.

It's just like on the chart Mia made, only she made it for the definite article, and here it is the indefinite article.

You could also say "Ich schreibe den Brief", difference being between "I write a letter" and "I write the letter".

Jorja_Rain said:The only thing coming close to the progressive/continous in German would be something like "Ich bin am Lesen" (I am reading)or "Ich bin dabei zu Lesen" (I'm in the process of reading).

Yeah. Do you know the book "Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod"? There they say you have to say Ich bin beim Lesen (I am reading). I don't know what's really correct, so I will not teach it here. :lol: Perhaps you can do it?

@my Lizzy :D Hey, that was good! You're learning very fast!

Brinchen said:
Ich bin beim Lesen (I am reading).

I was looking for that word, because I thought "am Lesen" sounded too colloquial, so thanks for clearing that up. Hey, why don't we just say "Ich bin dabei zu Lesen"? :p

And yes, she does learn very fast. It must be horribly difficult for an English native to learn German, or any other kind of roman language, seeing as we have all these different articles and stuff that English has conveniently lost over the centuries :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back