Learning German

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lizn8rFoxy, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lizn8rFoxy

Lizn8rFoxy Lab Technician

Alright so i really wanted to learn German, and there are so many European's (Germans) here at TalkCSI so i figured if anyone else was interested in learning German, they can feel free to and if there is anyone who speaks German if you could help us who are a little *special* :p out with questions and thinks of that nature.

Thanks a bunch :D

Liz

2. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Yey, very good Liz!!!!!!! Well, I have to leave now but I'll be back in a few hours (2 or 3 hours, I think). See you. And ask me!!!! :lol:

3. Lizn8rFoxy

haha looking forward to continuing our lessons Brinchen ! ;)

well to get some words we have gone over already. some basics...

Welcome = Willkommen.
    Hello. = Hallo.
    What's your name? = Wie heißt du?
    My name is ... . = Ich heiße ... .

How are you? = Wie geht es dir?
    I'm fine. = Mir geht es gut.
    Best friend = well, if it's a girl: beste Freundin, if it's a boy: bester Freund
    Mom = mother: Mutter, or say Mama
    Dad = father = Vater or Papa
    Sister = Schwester
    Brother = Bruder

and for people who do not know this little symbol > ß is sounded like an S

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

I found this on another website which might come in handy at certain times:

Good morning = Guten Morgen
    Good evening = Guten Abend
    Good night = Gute Nacht
    Happy birthday = Alles Gute zum Geburtstag!
    Merry Christmas = Fröhliche Weihnachten
    A happy new year = Ein glückliches Neues Jahr!

5. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

ach so! wie getzt? :lol:
    meine Deutch ist nicht so schon. Ich habe es in der schule gehabt aber ich weiss nicht alles mehr. Reden geht gut. Ich redet es whan ich nach der Sweiz/s/ch gehe.

This thread is nice. I had German in High School but it isn't what it used to be anymore. I can talk it a bit more though.

6. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

I'd like to teach you 'Schweinekram' (dirty words that are colloquial but not quite vulgar ;)) I'm not sure the board rules allow stuff like that though :p

Still, those are the funniest words to learn in a new language, at least to me. I remember they were the first things I learned on my student exchange to Italy (and probably the only ones I remember ;))

Anyways, if you need help in any way, tell me. I've wanted to be a teacher ever since I was little, I even have the dream of living in America one day and teach little kids German at schools :)

7. Jorja_Rain

Jorja_Rain Lab Technician

Also very important:

Jorja Fox rocks = Jorja Fox rockt :D

Jorja is pretty= Jorja ist hübsch/schön

I love Jorja= Ich liebe Jorja

I'm so stupid and do not have a life= Ich bin so dumm und habe kein eigenes Leben :lol:

8. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

When I lived in the dorm in college, and was raised Jewish, I once had an Arab roommate. I got to learn a few words that were not meant for mixed company. Also, a freind was a foreign language education major and taught me a few words in French and Spanish. It has been about 30 years and still remember a few.

9. MiaCharlize

MiaCharlize Coroner

@ Rainy

Du bist soooo witzick* = You are soooo funny

* proper spelling: witzig, but 'ck' is funnier :p

10. Lizn8rFoxy

haha what sentence do i NOT use those words in i ask? :p thank you. and Jorja Fox rockt!!

i am all up for that ;) but if the rules say no, then i guess that is why they invented the PM! :D

11. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

WOW! That was very good! Welcome to our thread!

That's right, that's what PMs are for. :lol: We can teach her this words via PM I think!

12. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

haha I also remember a sentence we like to say when Germany loses in a soccer competition :p

Schade Deutschland alles ist forbei!

schwein = pig
    hund = dog

put them after each other and you have a dirty word :lol:

that much I know :p

13. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Okay. Well perhaps we can make a list of the most important words and sentences. And of course we must learn some grammar (to understand why you say what you say). And of course Schweinekram! :lol:

14. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

Haha that's great. "Schade Deutschland alles ist vorbei", you know what we sang in 2004? "Ohne Holland fahr'n wir zur WM!" = "We go to the World Cup without Holland (which is, The Netherlands)!"
    Well, if anyone has any questions, just ask them. German is a nice language (although I prefer English - and I am German, haha), but it's got its difficulties, especially in grammar.

I always love it when I see German words in English books, words that have been "adopted", especially in Harry Potter the words "poltergeist" and "doppelgänger"! :D

What about some CSI vocab?
    "Season" = Staffel
    "episode" = Episode/ Folge
    "crime scene" = Tatort
    "investigation" = Untersuchung/ Ermittlung
    "corpse" = Leiche
    "dead" = tot

I can't think of more words right now, its funny suddenly thinking the other way round, normally I search for the English words. Well, not anymore, really, I've become so used to talking in English here, and now that I've read the last two Harry Potter books and watched the film in English, I sometimes even start thinking in English *lol* Didn't happen so often when I was still in school, although I was very good in English.

15. cathwillows

cathwillows CSI Level Three

this is a great thread! i am from germany and have been teaching someone from this forum german...it went pretty good :lol:
    but i always love it when someone who's first language isn't german counts cause that's tricky. in english you say for example thirty one and in german it is the other way round, one thirty...one and thirty to be exact.

yes that would be great! i'm going to be an assistant for foreign languages and i wanna live in the USA as well :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.