Jesse/Eddie #1 - 'Today's My Last Day...'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Guys, we need to dial back on some of the comments about those on other messageboards. This isn't the place for that and I don't want to see any board wars starting here. Like was said above, it's best to ignore it than to bring it here. Thanks for your cooperation. :)

----------------------------------

Agreed. I like the way he's been introduced so far and how they're having the character interact with other members of the team. I think with any new character, a balance is hard especially in a show this many years on the air. If they're presented too much, some feel the other characters are being neglected but if they're not presented enough, some might wonder why they even brought him/her on in the first place. I remember some people having issues with Tara because she was so quickly added to the main credits yet she didn't get any development until her character got the axe. :lol:

There's definitely the possibility they may go too far with Jesse but so far, I'm encouraged. It also helps that the character seems rather subdued (in my eyes at least). He's had his super hero moments but I don't think they were over-the-top considering his line of work. Now if he starts defusing bombs left and right with zero experience and jumping off buildings to save people or something every week, I might get a bit annoyed. :p

For some reason, I find myself way more accepting of Jesse, Walter and Tom than I ever was with Ryan. Maybe it's because Delko was never one of my favourites to begin with and I felt his character had sort of run its course so I was looking for something new and fresh, whereas with Ryan, I was frustrated with losing my favourite character who erm, didn't get the greatest sendoff. But even though I can say now that I enjoy the character of Ryan, I wish I had been a bit more open to him in the beginning, lol. I've kind of been on both sides of the penny so I definitely get the concerns on either side.

Either way, Jesse's sort of kick-started my interest in the show again so I'm going to remain optimistic about him.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Of course you're right. My apologies. A recent visit was probably too fresh. I promise to be more careful in the future. :)

----------------------------------

Subdued is a good word. Sensitive, humble, self-assured but not arrogant or cocky.

Exactly! Looking forward to where they go with him. :)

3. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Sorry, it just ticked me off a bit what some people have said about Eddie when it's not even his fault.

I'll try to contain myself in the future.

lol jumping off buildings left and right? That reminds me of Colby Granger from Numb3rs! I swear all Colby did throughout Season 4 of Numb3rs was jumping off buildings, jumping into the bay, going down an elevator shaft, climbing a bridge, climbing the side of a house, or getting swept away by a raging water dam! We call him Super-Colby! LOL! Of course, we the Numb3rs audience certainly didn't mind him doing all the grunt work! We all enjoyed the moments of Whump!:guffaw:

Guess it's probably not the same with Jesse here.....I much prefer Jesse as the cute sweet decent humble guy who is kind to everyone! Hopefully he's not gonna don the tights and capes soon.....that one still belongs to Horatio Caine!

I think all new characters get the harsh treatment from the fans when they first come aboard. I liked Ryan from the beginning, he just seem so small and with that puppy-dog face, I couldn't really be angry or mad, 'cause then I feel like I just kicked a puppy!:shifty: And I hate kicking puppies....

I have to say, Tim Speedle was the reason why I ever got into CSI:Miami, but then with his death I turned my sights on mocking this show that has become a caricature of what I used to love. I didn't really care much for Ryan either way, but I wasn't angry about it, I was more angry that Speed had to die.

With Jesse though, I feel like I found a new reason to watch this show, he reminds of Speed in a way, maybe a bit softer around the edges than Speed but still similar, and not to mention the guy's actually NORMAL! I've been missing the sense of normalcy in Miami so Jesse and Walter and the new ME Tom, they all bring that sense of freshness.

Believe me, I totally understand people's frustrations that their faves are being slighted for the new guy, I really do, I've been on that side of the line before, I know that feeling.

And like I said, I will gladly support the angry fans if Jesse's screentime gets out of control. I love Jesse, but I don't want him appearing so much that it is destroying the sense of others' characters. I want balance on my show, not a one-man show.

I just really don't like the fact that there are people that will resort to bad-mouthing and name-calling the actors behind the characters. Poor Eddie's been targeted way too many times than I can count, and it's just hard for me to stand it.

Hating the character is one thing, but making judgements about the actor is for me, crossing the line.

I'm just glad that on the soap opera show boards that I'm with, they at least have rules against insulting the actors.

I think some people needs to have reality check, maybe take a look in the mirror and see what kind of a person they've become.;)

I do try to ignore them, but sometimes, enough is enough for me.:)

I used to be a fan when Speed was alive, loved the guy, it totally killed me when he died, it's still a rather sensitive issue for me seeing him being gunned down like that. Since that moment, I didn't really care much for Miami because it had just become so cartoon-ish, a caricature of what I had come to love about the show, it just felt really weird, so I stopped watching and started mocking (of course never about Speed). But then Season 8 came along and Eddie/Jesse was introduced, I was able to find another character who had that sense of charisma that Speed had, Jesse was just normal, and it just gave me some hope that this show would come back to grounded reality. Of course, having Jesse and Speed being old friends was something I liked too!;)

I love Eddie, he's such a soft-spoken guy, remember him from the soap opera days! I love the fact that he's just playing a normal guy with such sweetness!

And as for his personal life, well no one's a saint in this world, I'm not gonna go judge people for their private business.....I mean, unless it's murder or something that's a illegal crime, but I'm not gonna get all judgemental about someone's personal love life, that's their business.

4. edukshun

edukshun Victim

Glad that Eddie is on this show,though Adam is leaving. I think has done well with his character. It wont replace Delko.

5. CSIKitty

CSIKitty Dead on Arrival

I don't know, I don't think I would mind see Eddie don tights and a cape. ;) Perhaps, there will be a Halloween episode in Miami's future one day.

BauerAlmeida, you and I have the same thought process on Miami. I was a huge fan of Speed and when he died, I continued to watch but slowly lost interest as the series grew more and more ridiculous. When I saw Jesse, I thought that the show gained something back that it had been missing for a long time. I love that he's just normal and trying to do his job and if he sees someone in need, he tries to help them. Though some people feel the writers are pimping Jesse out and neglecting others (and again I understand that completely. because as I write this I'm watching another TV show, wondering where my faves are) he isn't coming off, at least to me, in an obnoxious light. He's not over-the-top. I know he isn't flawless, that's going to come to light eventually. But right now he's very likeable. He's someone that I haven't seen on a TV show in a while and is the type of character that I do enjoy watching.

6. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I would not expect Jesse to replace Eric, and I don't think anyone on the show is expecting Jesse to be able to surpass Eric or be Eric. Jesse is his own character and that's good enough.;)

lol only Colby Granger on Numb3rs is allowed the whole tights and capes routine....lol only because the fans are so used to Super-Colby jumping off anything higher than 3 stories!:lol:

You are certainly correct in your statement that you and I think alike! I find Jesse to be incredibly sweet and kind, AND he's normal. He seems like a person you would meet on the street...not to mention he reminds me of my neighbor!:lol:

I have never found Jesse to be over-the-top or obnoxious, he's just inherently nice, an all around nice guy who likes to help people, there is no arrogance in what he does. He is very humble and low-key, and not a man to want to wallow in the spotlight, very much a team-player.

I SO wanna meet this "girl" that Jesse and Calleigh were talking about, and I really think from the look on Jesse's face when the "girl" was mentioned, it has to be a daughter or at least something close to a daughter, maybe a goddaughter or niece or something...because Jesse's got that whole proud-parent look!!!

I wanna know Jesse's history! Why he left Miami Dade and why he came back! I wanna know his friendship with Speed, and where was he during Speed's funeral.....

I even got the perfect idea/storyline for Jesse about the whole Speed Funeral thing....now I don't want them to use some digital photoshop stuff to add Eddie into the Speed funeral scenes or do some reshoot because I think that is a desecration to those original heartbreaking Miami moments that should not be touched! BUT what I had in mind is to say maybe Jesse was on a case in LA and was injured and in the hospital when Speed died and his funeral was happening, but maybe Jesse was critically wounded and unconscious so he never made it to the funeral and didn't learn about Speed's death until after he woke up......I think this would be a nice way to add Jesse into the original timeline without touching the sacredness of Speed's funeral scenes....in that way, Jesse can be added into the old Miami moments without incurring the wrath of long-time fans who will be angry to have any changes to the original Speed's funeral scenes....

And just a thought since I was watching Bang Bang Your Debt from season 6 where Eric was hallucinating Speed.....wouldn't it be nice and touching if we see Jesse visit Speed's grave?

7. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I hope before always they get around to revealing why Jesse came back to Miami. They kind of hinted at it in the last episode "In Plane Sight". I hope by no earlier than episode 8 and no later than episode 14 of season 8 they reveal it. My curiousity about it is killing me.
    I swear if CSI: Miami pulls a CSI-Vegas Riley Adams trick with Jesse, I'm gonna cry:(...or scream:scream:. "What trick is that?" you ask. Let me tell you. They didn't write a Riley saying good bye to everyone scene, they didn't have a Riley leaving CSI and Vegas scene, they didn't do a killing Riley off scene. It was just she's there in season 9 and POOF she's gone in season 10. I hope, I really hope CSI: Miami doesn't do that with Jesse.

8. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Ohh yeah the glorious Riley debacle :brickwall:....ok shutting up now, wrong thread :shifty:

*petting Super-Colby to get my blood pressure back to normal*:p

I agree with the overall positive opinions about Jesse.
    Miami was never my fav CSI 'cause I just tuned in for very few charas (Speed, Eric, Ryan, Frank). But after the cruel years of Ryan misuse where I personally couldn't stand more than a few single epis (no offence please just MHO ;) ), it's really a big difference for me to look forward to a new epi :lol:

They're still on the ok side of the fine line of Jesse OD and really like the chemistry between Jess, Ryan and Walter ...and at least the new ME is interesting :guffaw:

Would be nice if every new chara/show first got really a chance to present themselfs befor they get lynched ...but yep in some situations I need to remind my self to keep calm too *blinks innocently*

9. CSIKitty

CSIKitty Dead on Arrival

ahh yes, the always prevalent departure to Mandyville, as West Wing fans call it. A character plays an important role, then all of a sudden is never seen again. Very aggravating. Hopefully this does not happen to Jesse. I can't see them getting rid of Jesse too soon, if at all.

I really want to know who his "girl" is. The suspense is killing me. And why did he come back? He said partially personal. What was the other part? And what happened to make him leave? I need answers! As much as I love Jesse, he's too mysterious!

10. greatfan

greatfan Captain

That would be nice ,and it's a lot easier than trying to present themselves or be presented in a different light after they have been lynched and Ryan is the perfect example.
    Jesse comes off as a really sweet and caring guy.He is off to a great start.

11. CSIKitty

CSIKitty Dead on Arrival

so there was a new episode last night. What did everyone think of Jesse?

I thoroughly enjoyed his end scene on the beach. I was hoping since we saw him outside of work, we'd see his girl, whoever she may be. I can see I won't be satisified until I get the answers. lol.

12. Jess713

Jess713 Victim

i thought he was great in the new episode. love the trio(Jesse/Ryan/Walter),that went better than i expected. i did like his scene at the end. and right away i thought " omg wheres this girl!? is she there with him??!" but she wasnt..dam hahaha. all the wikis are saying its his daughter but we all know how reliable wiki is:/

13. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

LOVED LOVED LOVED Jesse in the new episode!

Him, Walter, and Ryan are fast becoming quite the golden trio! SO CUTE!!

Looks like Die-Hard, Nightshift, and Shorty are gonna take over the crime fighting field work!!!! LOL!:guffaw:

I did think it was rather unfair to pit Jesse's tiny little handgun against that farmer's big rifle! You can't possibly expect a good outcome out of that face-off!:lol:

And that ending scene, what a nice piece of character development showing what Jesse likes to do after work. I bet he picked up the surfing habit from working in both Miami and LA, where both are big on beach and surfing! That was a cute scene!

I too was hoping to see this girl, oh well, maybe next time....maybe there's gonna some big episode about the girl...

Did anyone see what Jesse was wearing around his neck? That necklace thing intrigued me.....kinda looked like military dogtags or something...had that silvery look.....

I really hope it is a daughter, especially since Jesse had that whole proud-papa smile on his face when Calleigh asked....a little girl would just be too cute!;)

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:lol: I wish either Jesse or Walter would start calling Ryan Wolfeman instead of shorty. It goes better with Die hard and nightshift. :lol: I seriously need to make them all superheroes on that superhero generator site. I can't think of the name of it right now. Sorry. :lol:

15. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I call them "The CSI: Miami 3 Stooges".

From last night's episode:
    :rommie::guffaw::lol::guffaw::rommie:

I LOVE :luvlove::adore:JESSE:adore::luvlove:!!!