Was Danny abused as a child?

He's much more focused on pleasing Mac, the father figure.

Yeah. That's why I think that his dad didn't take his mother's death very well. Maybe Danny was quite young when it happened and saw his father just shutdown and he was always seeking his approval. Doesn't he say something about finishing the academy first in his class? He could still be trying to impress his father.

hmm mite show wot he mighta dun if he hadnt bcum a CSI... den he wudda ended up on da other side of da court romm maybe?????

He might have stayed with the Tanglewood Boys and gotten in deeper with them?

Yeah. That's why I think that his dad didn't take his mother's death very well. Maybe Danny was quite young when it happened and saw his father just shutdown and he was always seeking his approval. Doesn't he say something about finishing the academy first in his class? He could still be trying to impress his father.

I guess I think there's a little more to it than that because while he obviously wants to please Mac, he also has no trouble disobeying him, making for an interesting dichotomy. He wants Mac to be proud of him, but he clearly doesn't trust Mac anymore than he trusts anyone else, which is pretty much not at all. I keep coming back to that physical reaction at the end of "Crime and Misdemeanor," but to me that was very telling. Danny's body language suggested that on a subconscious level he was worried about being struck. That's an instinctual reaction at a very basic level.

He also doesn't seem good at taking the advice of his peers--in "Outside Man" Aiden has a better lead than he does but he follows his first. In "On the Job" he ignores Flack's advice. He's much more focused on pleasing Mac, the father figure.

That could also be interpreted as he came from a large family and was trying to compete with lots of siblings for his father's attention.

Body language reveals a lot. I haven't seen any of the latest episodes when Danny starts playing up so I'm kinda missing all that stuff. What episode was it that he started acting differently?

Body language reveals a lot. I haven't seen any of the latest episodes when Danny starts playing up so I'm kinda missing all that stuff. What episode was it that he started acting differently?

I think "Dove Commission" is where he starts to lose it. Then "Crime & Misdemeanor." I guess it could be argued that it starts in "Tanglewood" when he sees Sonny hint to Mac that Danny was pretty involved with the Tanglewood Boys.

csifeline--good point, though it could be that he's never had to "share" and isn't used to it. When he and Aiden partner, he often seems to follow his gut and ignore her imput. Like in "Outside Man" or in "C&M" when he pursues the case against Mac's orders. Or in "DC" when he refuses to cool off.

though it could be that he's never had to "share" and isn't used to it.

Every channel on UK terrestial TV has a program about kids behaving badly at the moment and whilst not sharing is one of the many problems on display none of the families only have one child. It's also interesting to note that in every single case in all the programs the 'problem' with the child is traced back to the parent(s).

An alternative to abuse might be a somewhat crippling fear of abandonment. His response to Aiden after she confronted him about continuing on the case after Mac's dismissal was something like "If I say we're good, we're good." He's basically saying "what, you don't trust me?" This would also account for his apparent family-obsession: if you can count on anyone not to abandon you, it would be your family.

My pet theory is that someone close to Danny was involved in Tanglewood, like a brother, cousin, or good friend. He then would have become a fringe member, not exactly a member but to betray the gang would be to betray his friend. His mother's death is another form of abandonment.

Thus he would take criticism as a lack of support, and goes off on his own, trying to prove that he was right and gain respect after the fact. It also accounts for trust issues- it's hard to form trusting relationships when you expect the other person to abandon you as soon as trouble starts.

An alternative to abuse might be a somewhat crippling fear of abandonment. His response to Aiden after she confronted him about continuing on the case after Mac's dismissal was something like "If I say we're good, we're good." He's basically saying "what, you don't trust me?" This would also account for his apparent family-obsession: if you can count on anyone not to abandon you, it would be your family.

Yeah, that is a definite possibility. He could easily have abandonment issues from his mother's death. "On the Job" would suggest abandonment issues, given that he seems so certain that no one is looking out for him. He clearly thinks he's going to be hung out to dry.

Thus he would take criticism as a lack of support, and goes off on his own, trying to prove that he was right and gain respect after the fact. It also accounts for trust issues- it's hard to form trusting relationships when you expect the other person to abandon you as soon as trouble starts.

Again, it totally explains his behavior in "On the Job." I'm not sure that it covers the defiance--people with abandonment issues can try to please to the point of irritation to the very people they're trying to get not to abandon them.

That's why Danny's so interesting IMO--he's a mystifying combination of insecurity and defiance.

i would comment but some of the eps you talk about i haven't seen yet

Well that didn't stop me! How about the episodes we have seen, like 'Hush'.When he was talking to the husband about killing his wife (the husbands, not Danny's!)he mentioned that the man was leaving two little kids at home with no mother and now no father. Was that an obvious subject to bring up or was Danny pulling on some personal experience?

Good point! i never thought about it like that!

and if someone has pointed this out then sorry but what about in the ep Outside Man(I think) when he said to the guy don't you want to stick around to find out who killed the mother of your children?

that could be about his past too i guess

and if someone has pointed this out then sorry but what about in the ep Outside Man(I think) when he said to the guy don't you want to stick around to find out who killed the mother of your children?

that could be about his past too i guess

Man, you guys are good! :D I think we're on to something here. Clearly, the kid thing has come up at least four times. Danny has a lot of concern for children and how murder and crime affects him. It seems likely that at some point crime affected his childhood (it doesn't have to be murder--it could have been his father's involvement in criminal activity) and he feels like he has to speak up for children who've been affected by crime.

We know at least one instance when crime affected Danny's childhood: when the gypsy cab driver beat him and his father up when he was ten. His Tanglewood involvement would be another, but he was probably older then, in his teens.

In the character profile on the CBS website it says that danny was brought up in a family who were constantly under surveillance so that could have affected him as well as all the other stuff you guys have mentioned.

Perhaps his parents were invovled in some criminal activites or it could be because of the tanglewood connection that his family was put under surveillance. I'm not sure.

In the character profile on the CBS website it says that danny was brought up in a family who were constantly under surveillance so that could have affected him as well as all the other stuff you guys have mentioned.

Perhaps his parents were invovled in some criminal activites or it could be because of the tanglewood connection that his family was put under surveillance. I'm not sure.

yeah i forgot about that, i remember thinking that was a interesting point on his bio it would make sense if it linked in with the tanglewood thing.

i mean i don't really know whether i agree with the whole abuse thing i think it might be too specific, i personally believe that he's had a number of things happen that have made him have thing inability to trust people and this constant need to do what he thinks is right.

:D

I imagine the surveillance has something to do with the mob connections. Danny ran with a rough crowd, but it sounds like his family really was a "rough crowd." I wonder if his mother's death was at all mob related.

Top, you brought up a very good point about Danny's mother's death. With his family not exactly being The Cleavers, (Leave it to Beaver, to refresh some memories), his mother's death could have been mob related, retaliation perhaps? accident? that is doubtful, but who knows.

Back