Was Danny abused as a child?

I don't think that Danny was abused. The way he talked about his dad in the episode with the gypsy cab driver, it seems that he was fond of his father, but I think something traumatic happened in his life to make him get invloved in Tanglewood or possibly something worse than that.

Well he could have been abused, just not by his father. I thought Top41 made some very valid observations in the very first post on this thread and as of yet no one else has really come up with any other plausible explanations for Danny's behaviour. I suppose you could just say he was born messed up but I don't think that is so.

I think that if Danny was abused, my guess is that there was probably a mixture of physical and emotional. I just watched rewatched the end of crime and misdemenor and I agree with Top41 seems to me Danny has a defense posture when Mac is getting after him for not dropping the case. Plus to I noticed that after Mac said something to him and he came back with something like so it doesnt count all it takes is a look for Mac and Danny immediately backs of from defending his actions and says that he was out of line and he just looked defeated, like hes about to be hit, Also notice that when he is walking away, with head and shoulders down he looks back at Mac over his shouler almost like he is afraid Mac is going to come after him.

Yeah, I noticed the defeated/resigned look as well, and he totally did slink off. His posture is very defensive/ashamed--also not a normal adult way to react to things. Most adults, even if they were in the wrong, will be confrontational and bold--their posture will be rigid. Later they might come back to apologize, but again, the posture would most likely be stiff and awkward. Danny looks like he's bracing himself, and then slipping away.

Well he could have been abused, just not by his father. I thought Top41 made some very valid observations in the very first post on this thread and as of yet no one else has really come up with any other plausible explanations for Danny's behaviour. I suppose you could just say he was born messed up but I don't think that is so.

It definitely doesn't have to have been his father. Especially if it was sexual abuse, I kind of doubt it was. I mean, it totally could have been, but it also could have been another relative. As you say, I don't really think he was just born like this and this is just the way he is. I mean, people can be cagey and standoffish for no reason, but with Danny it clearly goes beyond that.

The gang points that have been brought up are good too--abuse at home might have drawn Danny to an alternate family that he believed would protect and look out for him.

you know i just came here for a quick look and you learn something new every day!

i would comment but some of the eps you talk about i haven't seen yet

i would comment but some of the eps you talk about i haven't seen yet

Well that didn't stop me! How about the episodes we have seen, like 'Hush'.When he was talking to the husband about killing his wife (the husbands, not Danny's!)he mentioned that the man was leaving two little kids at home with no mother and now no father. Was that an obvious subject to bring up or was Danny pulling on some personal experience?

Well that didn't stop me! How about the episodes we have seen, like 'Hush'.When he was talking to the husband about killing his wife (the husbands, not Danny's!)he mentioned that the man was leaving two little kids at home with no mother and now no father. Was that an obvious subject to bring up or was Danny pulling on some personal experience?

Oooh, good observation! Danny does seem really focused on family. At the end of "The Dove Commission" he also makes a point of telling that kid his father was a good man and giving him the picture from the cab. Now a large part of that was obviously apology, but why did Danny take the picture? And when he's confronting the killer, doesn't he mention something about the victim being a family man?

It all seems to come back to family for Danny, doesn't it? It's obvious that's at the forefront of his mind--that the destruction/dissolution of a family is one of the worst things that can happen in Danny's opinion. Perhaps because he saw his own fall apart and his own life was greatly affected by it?

And when he's confronting the killer, doesn't he mention something about the victim being a family man?

Yes, if I remember correctly, he said "He's got a kid at home, and you go taking an innocent life."

I haven't had any thoughts to contribute to this thread, but I've been following it and I'm convinced now that he did undergo some kind of childhood trauma... so sad! :( I hope the other members of the team find out and decide to support him.

^Yeah, that was the line. Danny seems very fixated on murder as how it affects families, specifically children. It seems like it's come up in at least two episodes--any others anyone can think of? It's an interesting pattern.

I'm thinkin' that the loss of his mother has something to do with Danny's issues. After all he does seem very family oriented in the way he reacts to things. Does that make sense? Like he always gets angry when a family is affected. I don't know I've not seen many of the episodes you guys talk about 'cause they haven't been aired in the UK yet. Maybe his dad didn't take his mother's death very well and just kind of shut down, that can have a pretty damaging affect on a family. I don't think I'm making much sense :eek:

^Yeah, that was the line. Danny seems very fixated on murder as how it affects families, specifically children. It seems like it's come up in at least two episodes--any others anyone can think of? It's an interesting pattern.

Well it wasn't to do with children but in 'A Man A Mile' he made several comments about family. I think the CSI programs tendeed to ignore the impact of the investigators families in the past. That seems to be changing now, what with Sara on the original and Ray in Miami, so maybe we will get to see Danny's family (or what's left of it) and see what made him like he is today.

^^Yeah. It would be great to see Danny's family and find out some more about his background other than all the Tanglewood business

^That does make sense and it's definitely possible. It could be that Danny's home life went south after his mother died. He may have lost all sense of security when his mom died, and if his dad was negligent/abusive then that really could have made him think that the breaking up of families ruins childrens' lives.

Well it wasn't to do with children but in 'A Man A Mile' he made several comments about family. I think the CSI programs tendeed to ignore the impact of the investigators families in the past. That seems to be changing now, what with Sara on the original and Ray in Miami, so maybe we will get to see Danny's family (or what's left of it) and see what made him like he is today.

Yeah, and Danny seemed to put a lot of faith in the bond between the brothers--he never suspected that the brother was the one responsible. Hmmm. Wonder if Danny has any siblings. For some reason, I could see him being an only child.

^^ I think it's because Danny seems like he can be quite selfish and is used to things going his way that makes it seem like he's an only child. Not that I'm saying that every only child is like that.

hmm mite show wot he mighta dun if he hadnt bcum a CSI... den he wudda ended up on da other side of da court romm maybe?????

^^ I think it's because Danny seems like he can be quite selfish and is used to things going his way that makes it seem like he's an only child. Not that I'm saying that every only child is like that.

He also doesn't seem good at taking the advice of his peers--in "Outside Man" Aiden has a better lead than he does but he follows his first. In "On the Job" he ignores Flack's advice. He's much more focused on pleasing Mac, the father figure.

Back