The Eh? Team: Canadian Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh the movie mambo italiano is amazing! its about a guy whos parents came to montreal from italy. and he realizes his gay. since his parents are traditional italians this is quite the shock to them. and hilarity ensues :D

Hahaha. It sounds like a good movie :D
I don't know. The only Canadian film I guess I've ever seen is "The Corporation". And it was because I had to watch it as an assignment for Pop. Other than that, I don't think I've ever seen a real Canadian film.

I've seen lots of films where Americans have FILMED in Canada. Like Titanic (Nova Scotia) and Joise and the Pussycats (Vancouver). But none real true blood "Canadian made this film!" I know the director of Crash is Canadian, but I wouldn't consider that a Canadian film, really...

Awesome Canadian film: Beowulf and Grendel. Very, very cool movie. It's got Gerard Butler and Sarah Polley, and it's a fantastic movie. So good that now the Americans have gone and are making into a huge blockbuster for next summer. *rolls eyes* Anyway, Beowulf and Grendel was featured in the TO and Van film fests, and is one of the best Canadian films ever made, imho. :)

It's Dean's birthday today. *snuggles Dean*

...Dean? *backs away slowly*

Yeah, totally out of the loop. Hurr. And I hate comtemplating. It's nice and windy out so I don't know if I want to go for a walk. It's tempting. But... My AD DVDs are begging to be watched again so I can be in a better mood... dangit! Stupid choices!

We have to many dvd's in are house (In the middle of the street) we have nearly 400 i think it's crazy and we only watch them like once. My favorite movie ever is the breakfest club! it's a teen scream movie but i dont care i love it because if you mess with the bull you get the horns :D

:3 I only have 150. But that's pretty good for a chick who has no job and who's 3 other family members refuse to help the cause...

Ah, the Breakfast Club. I don't know how many times I've seen that in school. But yeah. Isn't there a site out there somewhere with a list of all the Canadian films ever made? Like, actual true-blood Canadian films? Because I wonder if I have seen one before. Like... elusively..

I found a list of the top ten Canadian films:

1) Videodrome
David Cronenberg had to lead this list, and no movie before or since epitomizes his surreal, subversive work as the twisted horror of "Videodrome," starring James Woods and Deborah Harry. All of his other films are worth checking out, however, especially "Crash," "Dead Ringers," and "Naked Lunch."

2) The Sweet Hereafter
Sarah Polley plays the lone survivor of a school bus tragedy that takes the children of a town. Based on the book by Russell Banks, Atom Egoyan made a heart-wrenching film. Other films by Egoyan you shouldn't miss include "Exotica" and "The Adjuster."

3) Last Night
Cronenberg and Polley make an appearance in Don McKellar's surprisingly touching End-of-the-World drama "Last Night," which successfully combines millennial hysteria and intimate portraits of people who know the end is coming. Not to be missed.

4) I've Heard the Mermaids Singing
Patricia Rozema's ("Mansfield Park," "When Night is Falling") 1987 film tells the quirky story of a day dreaming photographer who travels the streets of Toronto on her bicycle with her camera, snapping pictures as goes. When Polly is taken hired by a lesbian art gallery curator, the plot takes surprising turns.

5) Tales from the Gimli Hospital
Guy Maddin's unique vision colors this surreal tale inspired by German expressionism.

6) Mon Oncle Antoine
Claude Jutra's bittersweet 1971 masterpiece tells the story of a young boy's Christmas in a small French-Canadian town.

7) Roadkill
Bruce McDonald's low-budget rock'n roll road movie, co-written by Don McKellar, has become a cult classic.

:cool: The Five Senses
Molly Parker, Mary-Louise Parker, and Gabrielle Rose are among the characters who smell, see, hear, taste and touch each other in Jeremy Podeswa's quietly affecting interconnected tales.

9) Kissed
Molly Parker plays a necrophiliac in Lynne Stopkewich's surprising first movie.

10) The Decline of the American Empire
Denys Arcand won an Oscar for the sequel "The Babarian Invasions," but the talky original still stands as his best work. Also worth a look: his 1989 "Jesus of Montreal."

I must admit that I never heard of or seen any of the films listed above but that could change...

Source

I believe it is. It looks like Sarah Polley is in a lot of the films that I metioned. I'm not sure if I have seen any of her films but she appears to be a big star here in Canada. Intersting.

*pause* .... *looks up* ... Titanic was filmed in Nova Scotia?

*sits back a bit* Well, I feel smart. It's one of my favorite movies too.

BTW! Palm, I love your avatar! *glomp*

*glompback* Squee! 8D
Yeah, it was on the commentary when I was listening to it. Because they did that whole 'Dive to the Titanic', they needed a place to stay so they stayed in Nova Scotia. And apparently the Locals were like "Try our fish! :3!"

*leans back* Good ol' Nova Scotia. I mean, I never been, but I assume. Assumptions are great sometimes!

jorja_fan86 said:
I believe it is. It looks like Sarah Polley is in a lot of the films that I metioned. I'm not sure if I have seen any of her films but she appears to be a big star here in Canada. Intersting.
Sarah Polley starred 2 films of Spanish director Isabel Coixet:"My life without me" and "The secret life of words".
I remember her from "Road to Avonlea" too.lol.

*Steps out of the Canadian thread*

...Dean? *backs away slowly*
Dean Cain, yo. He was my very first crush. I would still marry him, cause he's still sexy. And his birthday is right after mine, so obviously it's fate.

I love Sarah Polley so... it's funny, Sarah (sarahvma) and I were just talking about 'The Sweet Hereafter' yesterday. I've never seen it, but she says it's really really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back