"Sweet Jane" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

The episode was okay. i finally had a chance to form my own theories, and that's what i like to do the most when i watch a crime show.

the only thing that bothered me was actually Keppler. i find him OTT, he just tries too hard to be a unique personality and IMO it doesn't work and looks unreal. he annoyes me greatly. instead of giving some screen time to the old cast which they, due to Grissom's hiatus, should have more, the episode focused on this new guy. i think they tried to hard to categorize him, and show how "cool" he is. that was one thing i didn't like. i truly hope Keppler won't be in further episodes after Grissom's return.

2. MissDee

MissDee Lab Technician

I liked it. I really liked it.

I appreciated that the show gave me a sense of "the hunt" for a killer, from botched investigations from long ago to last-ditch modern efforts to catch him - an idea perhaps reinforced by Keppler's cat-and-mouse-game metaphor. I felt really invested in this particular investigation. And Ned "Dr. Dave" Beatty made for one very cagey rat that did his best to thwart Our Heroes - an idea perhaps reinforced by the mice-in-the-box scene. NB was incredibly good - he gave me the willies. I wasn't even sure that he could be the killer at first; he seemed so grandfatherly and genial. The fact that I could still feel that persona even as he was refusing to identify the Jane Does - in a gentlemanlike manner, no less - made shivers go up and down my spine. I'd ordinarily be pissed that they didn't give us the scoop on why this guy had a need to kill the girls, and why only every decade or so... but in this case, it's all part of Dr. Dave, Creepy yet Grandfatherly Dentist. His affable refusal to give the CSIs satisfaction makes him memorable, in my book.

One thing I'm really appreciating about CSI lately is that the guest stars are so memorable. Here we had the sloppy cop whose wife had a difficult birth, the thorough cop-turned-PI who envied the current generation of CSIs with the vast arsenal of scientific weaponry at their disposal, the heartbroken parents insisting that the little girl on TV couldn't be their daughter, the bored guy in the storeroom, the office assistant at the dental office.... Someone is taking a great deal of trouble to make those people come alive, and I for one am grateful for the life it brings to the show. Las Vegas is starting to feel like a real city... more than just hookers and gamblers.

Liev Schreiber? Is one TALL friggin' SOB. He might be taller than Gary Dourdan, even. I like that he seems an enigma, but in a completely different way from Grissom. Grissom has seemed dark at times over the series, but more in terms of his curiousity and willingness to explore the darker, seamier side of human life. Keppler is dark, but in a way that suggests to me that such darkness has been thrust upon him, so to speak - either through circumstances that emerged, or through some kink in his own nature that he did not choose. While I think Grissom ultimately has a handle on his darkness, Keppler... well, I'm not so sure. But he intrigued me enough to want to find out, and I am very excited about that.

I liked Catherine very much here - can we have her be this professional all the time? And the conversation between Brass, Catherine, and Keppler after the credits felt very real and natural. Someone did a damn good job of dialogue in this episode.

I caught that look of "Aw, shit," on Sofia's face when she mentioned the word "autopsy" in front of the distraught parents - immediately you knew she wanted to take it back. Great acting on LL's part. So I think Sofia was short with Doc Robbins because she herself had just screwed up with the parents... which is not an admirable reaction, of course, but a human one nonetheless. Kind of like how Doc Robbins sometimes gets short with SuperDave or the CSIs when he's pissed off, come to think of it.

AAK! PROMOS!!! *gasps in anticipation*

3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Coroner

Okay, I only flicked to the episode once or twice (was watching 'Supernatural), but one thing I did catch-- for those who also watch NY, was it just me or did they reuse the Quality Cafe set from "Outside Man"?

4. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I really liked it. An episode that focuses on the evidence or in this case, the lack there of...

I like Keppler but yes... I'm sure there is more to him than we know

The phone calls from Frank for one but I'm sure we'll figure this all out

the rest of the team seems to get along with him, they don't doubt him or question him
    and Catherine doesn't either

yes, this lacked the action of lets say Built to Kill but this is what the show is all about.. finding evidence, solving crimes etc...

I did like how they sort-of slammed the police for lack of evidence and shoddy police work in the previous cases

and the dentist was creepy, really really creepy

and (as I keep rambling) I really like how Catherine took control, she questioned Keppler when he said "whats the difference between a profiler and a CSI" and she said "evidence" she didn't immediatly jump onto his conclusions

So I really liked this episode

5. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Well, for me to begin with this new guy Liev/Keppler/ I actually felt sorry for him.. his look's please, could his nose be any bigger? hard to get past that, and small skinny lips, and a tiny chin..he resembles a anteater... so to me not attractive, and his acting.. and personailty.. none.. no charm, no charisma, no magnetism, nothing blah and boring. I don't know what Carol M. was thinking when she lured to to be on this great show :( all our regular cast members are all so rivetng and fantasic, & wonderful & good looking.. he just doesn't fit in and what's missing oh, I know GRISSOM.. the story was Ok, and the Doc whistling, and Sofia telling him to stop :D and I didn't get why the dentist killed these girls. very murky and left me with WHAT :eek: lets move on, and hope this will improve.. :(

6. NickyCat

NickyCat Dead on Arrival

I liked this episode and I liked Keppler.

I also liked the scene in the diner when he said the dentist reminded him of his uncle.
    Catherine said something like" Without the serial killer tendencies I hope" and Kepplers like "It's been a while".

I liked Hodges worrying about contracting the Hanta virus from the rat droppings." If I start bleeding out of the eyes I'm blaming you."

After they found the bite mark and discovered the front teeth had a gap between them I said "oh my God Sara's the killer." :lol:

Ned Beatty as the serial killer was terrific. Just an average guy who happens to kill teenage girls every ten years or so. He didn't feel remorse and was like well you caught me I'm going to jail but I still have my memories. Creepy.

7. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

Haha. Pretty fun. I liked all that too. I'm really eager to see what they have in story for Redrum. Hmm...guess I have to go read spoilers now! :lol:

8. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

609-910-3200

phone this number, this was the number keppy got all those messages from...

9. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

Why? What happens?

10. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

Plays a voice mail message, and its from the frank guy

11. lexxy_willows

lexxy_willows Police Officer

Oh my gosh! I said exactly the same thing. Actually, I just started laughing hysterically & when my mom asked what was wrong I go "Sara killed them!!" :lol:

12. quoth_the_raven

quoth_the_raven Corpse

I'm so terrible, but I was thinking the exact same thing!! :lol: :p That little gap is just so adorable though :p

I really did like in this episode how Cath put on such a hard-ass attitude. I personally didn't like Keppler because I found him to be a bit of a shady character... there's something fishy with him :p

13. 4ENSIX

4ENSIX Pathologist

Sweet, but I can't rack up the phone bill... :lol:

14. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

yeah, i don't want to know how much long distance to the US is on my cell plan...and i phoned the number several times...oops!

15. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

I liked it. It was NOT the best episode ever, but it was definately watchable, and enjoyable.

Kep freaks me out. Even without connection to spoilers, there is vibe about him. something dark.My friend said that she heard him mumbling that that Frank guy is his uncle. Hmm. Wonder wat'll happen.

The rat scene, when Nick opened the box had me laughing hysterically, and of course David's attitude about the Hanta Virus :p