"Sweet Jane" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Jan 14, 2007.

1. xforce11

xforce11 Police Officer

I think Keppler adds an interesting twist to things. It will be interesting to see the interaction with the rest of the team.

2. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

I thought the episode was flat...no real drama to it. Here they bring this new guy in and he has no personality, no charm, no magnetism...he just kinda appeared and...IS.

And what level CSI is he? I got the impression he was ordering Nick and Sara around, and Cath for that matter.

...and we had only about 5 seconds of Warrick again...what is up with that? We need Warrick back!

Loved the rats in the box part with Nick...I've had that happen before in a cold case room in NYC. Very gross and I wanted to take a shower with Brillo pads afterward!

3. Tonehenge

Tonehenge Civilian

That fellow who played "Dr. Dave" is Ned Beatty, a near legendary character actor, who has appeared in dozens and dozens of films, most notably "Deliverance" with Jon Voight and Burt Reynolds. Drama or comedy, he's been a force in Hollywood. It's nice to see hip shows like CSI using these sturdy players. He was appropriately creepy...

4. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

What a coincidence this is. Keppler is supposedly from Baltimore and Ned Beatty played a Baltimore detective on "Homicide: Life on the Street."

5. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Lets see I check all the cast men and women and this is what it comes out to. Just for those who wanted to know.

Liev 6'3
    Gary 6'2
    Eric 6'0
    George 5'11
    William 5'10
    Paul 5'9
    Jorja 5'9
    Robert 5'7 1/2
    Louise 5'7
    Marg 5'6

Loved the ep, thought keppler was just mysterious enough to leave you wondering and he has that darkness around him but yet in the beginning of the ep you can tell his heart comes out, it would seem he is conflicted to a point.

I love the denist telling catherine who ever did her teeth did a nice job lol. oh trying to remember it all the next day tough for me, I think I will re-watch my tape and refresh my mind.

6. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

I enjoyed it. I like Liev's previous work, especially Clark in Clear and Present Danger.

The best line:

Keppler: Kind of reminds me of my Uncle Ralph.
    Catherine: Except for the serial killer part I hope
    Keppler: Haven't seen him in a while, who knows?

:D :D :D

Ned Beatty was also Otis in the original Superman films. Perhaps that's why he didn't want to give their names away, because he knew Lex would be waiting for him in jail

:)

7. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

Overall this was a great episode, and Keppler is actually QUITE COOL! A couple of observations:

1. The episode reminded me A LOT of the old TV show Twin Peaks, and Mike Keppler reminded me a bit of Agent Dale Cooper between the black suit and tie with the White shirt, the dry sense of humor, the HAIR, and the empathetic yet cerebral style.

2. His method of profiling was a lot like not only Dale Cooper, but also like Fox Mulder from The X-Files. This case could have easily been a serial killer case for Mulder and Scully, and the way he and Catherine played off of eachother with Keppler's speculation and Catherine's dry skepticism and leaning on the evidence evoked the old Mulder and Scully relationship.

3. The case in and of itself was really cool. We had an on and off serial killer, sporadic evidence, some investigators that were thorough and some that were slap-dash. Finding out about the history of the crime lab, seeing a former CSI working as a private eye, finding out about a sloppy old M.E., and seeing a former LVMPD detective who had one of the killings come up during very unfortunate timing shows us how that crime lab evolved into the well-run outfit it is today. Dr. Dave, the serial killer in and of himself was downright creepy. You meet the guy and he comes across as this avuncular old dentist, only to find out he's freaking cold-blooded, unremorseful and a total whack job.

Overall, I give the episode high marks. The only way it could have been better is if Grissom were around, but even without Grissom, we had some funny Hodges moments, some good interaction with the new guy and the Night shift, and a really solid case. Great episode all the way around!!!

8. McStokes

McStokes Pathologist

Called it...that's cool! It's like 'Lost' with all the mysterious web sites, phone numbers, etc.

Wonder who Frank is?

9. jwelch7

jwelch7 Civilian

According to Keppler's profile on CBS.com, Frank is his ex-fiance's father. His fiance died before they could get married and Frank helped Keppler regain his life after his ex-fiance committed suicide.

Don't have a clue why Frank consistanly tries to contact Keppler, but CBS.com leads us to believe that Frank & Keppler had a falling out. Keppler keeps transferring to different cities to escape his past, but it keeps catching up to him.

Anyways, his bio explains it better than me.
    Click Here

10. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

weird and very random thought. now, im sure that it has nothing to do with anything, just an observation. in scuba doobie doo, didnt gris mention that his uncle herb wasa plumber? and kepplers father herb was a plummer. im sure that it was a slip on the part of the writers and they arent related, just sorta cool

11. labgeekluvr

labgeekluvr Lab Technician

Yeah, all we needed was a piece of pie and a mighty fine cup of coffee--oh, and a tape recorder so he could leave himself memos.

12. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I really enjoyed this episode and I thought Liev did a great job, as expected (by me, at least). I agree with all the positive comments mentioned previously, and the Mulder/Scully comparison is pretty cool too. I can totally see that.

One small thing I'd like to add is that, it's nice to see someone actually laugh at a joke someone else says on the show for a change. At some point, someone said something funny to Keppler and he actually laughed! It was refreshing. :) Nobody ever laughs at all the funny things that are said on the show and it drives me nuts. It's the one area where I think the show (and many others) miss that one aspect of realism: People laugh when someone says something funny. That's normal. ;)

Anybody esle think Doc Robbins has been a little weird by times this season? It's like he's having mood swings. One episode he's unusally cranky, and now this episode he's whistling a little too enthusiastically over the corpse of a 17 year old girl. I'm probably reading something into nothing, but still. Seems odd to me.

13. Hankster

Hankster Coroner

Gotta have "Diane" the tape recorder! Hee hee hee!

Oh, and the music--that weird haunting singing sounded A LOT like Julee Cruise, who did a number of the vocal songs on Twin Peaks--they were playing that music during the reburial of the Janes Doe and in some other spots as well.

14. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Thank you for the Twin Peaks (filmed in North Bend Washington, btw :) ) analogy
    it was driving me nuts on to how similar this case was to an Twin Peaks case.
    And also similar to the X-files as well.

Keppler is sort of like a mixture of Fox Mulder and Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks
    kinda cryptic and cerebral and a good match for Catherine in terms of solving the case (and in Grissom's absence I have to say, he is a lot like Grissom in his delivery of lines, and his 'one liners')

I can't wait to see how his story line unfolds...

15. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

If Kepler had not replaced Grissom, and didn't have such a big part, I might have liked him. But he was in every scene, and since I don't care that much about the cases, I was bored out of my mind. Plus the fact that he pretty much had the same expression on his face the entire eppy...wow he is boring. I am not at all interested in this character. Its like he is trying to be Mac Taylor, but wasn't very successful.