Say NO to Homophobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
sandleissocute i'm sorry people are mean to your brother, but why not try correcting them infront of people and make them feel stupid, dont bring yourself down to their level!

lol, jayne your story made me smile! it reminded me of my friend maddie, she's jewish, and all our firends are mostly asian (ie not jewish) so she puts up with alot of jewish-jokes. when that happens, i say "in case anybody doesn't know- maddie's jewish!" it usually creates a laugh!

Ever noticed how only adults (as in 40 and above) are homophobic? It probbably came off as such a shock for them. I was in my sister's Nursing Capping blah blah, and some of her batchmates are gay and it came off obvious. So, when they were walking down and coming up the stage, most of the parents around me were commenting "oh, he's gay! OMG!" and blah blah. For me, I was grinning coz I appreciate their guts and confidence for being able to come out the closet.

They're probbbaly not used to it because people were afraid of coming out the closet during their time. For me, I'm not homophobic. Hell, I even had friends who are trans-vest. I have a friend who acts like a boy and everything and I accept these people for who and what they are... ;-)

Actually, not just adults are homophobic. I have many friends who are, but... well, it's the way we've been raised. I basicly am not, but no... I don't want to hear about their relationships and stuff (i hate to listen to stuff anyways, not just gaycouples) If you'd grown up in a place where I have, you'd understand. I'd even like to leave the church but I can't because allt he gossip and talks would go around. Anyways... The reason what has turned me into homophobic in some situations is my friend. She has told me she loves me and always harassing me when we drink and she goddamn knows that I'm liking only men.

I dunno... it doesn't really bother me at first... I guess I'm just surrounded by them that I came to accept homosexuals' existence...

Just wanted to say that the topic of being gay is now a form of joke where I'm schooling. During lecture on my last period today. It was aweful and my ears burnt from hearing all the.....'jokes' they made. I mean, ever considered the fact that some students in the auditorium might be gay? Sheesh. I was especially angry towards the lecturer because he didn't do anything to stop the joking around. He even participated in it all.

At the moment I'm rather thinking about what to tell my pupils.. I hopefully get a teaching job at a school with many foreign guys (and I'm not being discriminative here, I'm one myself, so I can say it :p) and their culture is different than the Dutch ones. But every year they always ask "do you have a boyfriend?" and when I say "no" they ask "do you have a girlfriend?" and when I say no they ask "are you gay?" and normally I tell them the truth, because it's been accepted throughout the whole of the country (more or less, it's a very common thing nowadays).. but now I'm not sure what I will say. Any ideas, guys? I'm talking about 12-17 year olds, those players-kind of guys. I might discuss it first with some colleagues though.. small school.. only 200 pupils and 24 teachers :D

a question: do you wanna talk to them about homosexuality in general or telling them you are bisexual? either way it can be good for them and maybe some of them who might be gay can reaveal it without being judge by their friends..who knows. ;) anyway im thinking about something, if you plan to talk to them about YOUR sexuality, aren't you afraid about their parents reaction? everyone here knows how parents can be puritain about some stuff, especially that

Was thinking about telling them about my bi (if it isn't homo) sexuality. Till now pupils have always responded in such cool ways, but for some odd reason I don't feel comfy telling these kids though.. so I might just not do it.. and yes, thank you for pointing out the parents-aspect.. I hadn't even thought of that!! :eek: Especially because I'm dealing with Marocans and Turkish people, and it's still more or less a taboo in their culture. Yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Cuz I'm not ashamed of who I am, it's either you accept me or you don't.. but I think in this case I should make a different choice and it will be the best for both parties I guess.

Really it's whatever you feel comfortable with, it doesn't change you as a person, or your ability to each and its not something that will harm the children so you don't have to tell them!

If you feel more uncomfortable with them not knowing then tell them but if you, as you said, have a gut feeling, go with that first and see how it develops!

Especially because I'm dealing with Marocans and Turkish people, and it's still more or less a taboo in their culture

Welcome !!! lol my parents are Marocans you know ;) and you are right it still A HUGE taboo on that country , trust me . Just be careful with them, especially boys :s they are usually less tolerant than girls...

Cuz I'm not ashamed of who I am, it's either you accept me or you don't.. but I think in this case I should make a different choice and it will be the best for both parties I guess.

you are right: you don't have to be ashmamed of what you are, there is no reason ;) i just want you to be careful, cause even if it starts from a good feeling, it can't be good for you then.

Thanks guys for the comments. Since I indeed have a gut feeling about it, I'm not going to tell them.. hey, them not knowing won't do them harm :p so what's the point!

aw. jayney! *hugs*

okay today was crap. I sat in the front of the bus cause the grade 9 girls found out that I was bi, and Im sure that at least one of them told the principal. So basically I dont have anymore friends on the bus. Im on the verge of getting expelled right now. Basically because im part gay. Even tho it is illegal, they're still gonna do it cause its a private christian school and they think that they can do anything!

OMG obsession. That is Outrageous. It may be a strict christian school, but unless there is a rule saying "you have to be straight in order to attend this school" there is no way they can expel you. They may not agree with it, but shouldn't be able to punish you for the way that you feel.

Grrrr.... :mad: It's times like this i lose faith in humanity. What is the world coming to.

obsession_360 said:
aw. jayney! *hugs*

okay today was crap. I sat in the front of the bus cause the grade 9 girls found out that I was bi, and Im sure that at least one of them told the principal. So basically I dont have anymore friends on the bus. Im on the verge of getting expelled right now. Basically because im part gay. Even tho it is illegal, they're still gonna do it cause its a private christian school and they think that they can do anything!

you know why hunny? you don't care !!!!! if they let you down, it means there were'nt good friends, they were crap and they still crap...as long as you are in osmosis with your feelings ans who you are , everything will be okay!!! really!!! anyway just know that here, we support you ;)

aw...thank you so much! now the whole problem im gonna have to deal with is telling mom and dad. mom's in denial about the whole effing thing. She said that im basically not allowed to be gay! dad's just boycotts stuff that supports gay people. I actually know who i am. And Im actually proud...but i gotta hide it for a bit until im ready to say anything. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back