Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Since these days it's the hit movie, I did go to the theatre to see Watchmen. I didn't have any idea about it, didn't read any previews beforedhand, or seen the trailer, or even reading the comic, so it was all new to me.

I enjoyed it to the maximum. I gave it a 10 out of 10. Unconventional, written in the matter that even people like me, who didn't read the comic could understand what happened. My favourite character by far was Night Owl II. Probably the most convetional character. The stereotype(in lack of a better word) of superhero, torned by the fact that he had to put away his suit.

This one is a love it or hate it. There is nothing in between. I'm guessing that this movie can be the biggest box office hit of 2009. It was a smart idea to make a worldwide premiere, so that no one waits around for it (over here we usually get movies a month after they had a premiere in LA)

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I saw Watchmen over the weekend as well and while I am unfamiliar with the graphic novel, I still sort of had certain expectations about a movie about superheroes... And man, this movie was not at all what I expected.

For one, I would say this was more of a drama than an an action/comic fantasy film. Quite truthfully, there wasn't that much action. What action there was was pretty cool, but there just wasn't a lot of it.

The storyline was cool and interesting, but there were times when it was clear that the Director was keeping certain scenes in just to please the "fanboys" since there was a lot of stuff that I didn't think was really necessary and probably would have left on the cutting room floor had it been my choice.

The performances were totally sound, with possibly the exception being Malin Akerman, or The Silk Spectre (I think that was her name) who was the weakest link. She wasn't terrible, but I think the film needed a stronger female presence and she just didn't have the chops. Jeffrey Dean Morgan was surprisingly good at being surprisingly bad, and Haley was amazing as Rorschach. I did enjoy the Owl, and Billy Crudup was interesting as Dr. Manhattan, but I really felt like the standout performance was by the guy who played Ozymandias. The character was just so... eerie. I don't know how to describe it, but he totally captured my attention whenever he was on screen. It was an impressive performance and I'm going to be keeping my eye out for other stuff this guy (British actor Matthew Goode) does in future, that's for sure.

The filming was really captivating, and the stylized look of everything was really well done- Kudos to Zack Snyder.

Ultimately, while there were (what I thought to be) too many unneeded, or even unneccesarily long scenes (one thing Zack Snyder needs to work on is sex scenes- he's yet to do a good one), this was a really interesting and somewhat dark drama, and I'd recommend it for people who are just looking for something different. I wouldn't recommend it for people looking for an X-Men type superhero film though, that's for sure.

3. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

In the last couple of days I have seen over 5 movies. I know, too much spare time. I won't write about all of them, only the ones that in my opinion are worth recommended.

Little Children
    It was beyond exceptional. It was the kind of movie that doesn't have a fast pace, and you still find yourself lost in the story, and in one way or another you can relate to the characters. The kind of movie about the reality as it is, and to be fair I really wanted to see something closer to the reality. It shows how an affair can show the true colours of two people, and in the end seeing that actually their home is the best place to be. One thing I found extremely funny is that Patrick Wilson and Jackie Earle Haley worked together in 2006, and then again in 2009 (in Watchmen). I gave this one 11 out of 10.

La Vie En Rose
    The story of Edith Piaf. La Mome Piaf as she was first named by her first agent. Marion Cotillard (She played Sophie Kowalsky in Jeux D'Enfants or the English title, Love Me If You Dare) portrayed Piaf in a beautiful way. What I loved about it is the fact that it was presented in a random order, not chronological, from her troubled childhood, then the succesful adolescence, and then her death at 44 years old. The scenes alternated and in my view it was the best choice. If you like European movies, you'll love this one.

Lakeview Terrace
    Samuel L. Jackson is a racist LAPD cop. He shines in this movie and he is really disturbing, and although at times you feel like you want to reach through the screen and slap him, you also see his point of view. A guy who deals with all kind of scums can't really see the life coloured in pink, and he feels that certain things should be done the old conservative way, like educating his children, or his view that black-white marriage is not a good idea. Again, if you watch it, you will have mixed feelings throughout the whole movie, love then hate, love again, hate and in the end sympathizing with him and his troubles. Nobody in this movie is perfect. Recommended wholeheartedly.

4. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Last House on the Left - Please, Please don't see this movie. I am urging anyone who wants to see this movie to NOT see it.
    Unless a long rape scene tickles your fancy, DON'T see it. I know the movie was going to be violent. But this was just too much. They literally show THREE and a half minutes of the main character being raped, viciously. It was truly disturbing. Not to mention the way people die in this movie is totally uncalled for.

It was exciting to see Sara Paxton (Yes, Bill Paxton's daughter) blossom into quite the little actress, but the violence and goriness of the movie completely tops it. I love thriller movies, horror movies, action movies; you name it, I'm there. But I did not know I was signing on for THIS type of movie. There were parts that literally turned my stomach and made me sick. I know that when I read reviews like this, it tends to make me want to see the movie more, you know, to prove the reviewer wrong. But I am strongly hoping that this gets through to people. It is an extremely gory, nasty, disgusting movie, that I would not recommend to even the sickest of people. As much as I like shoot 'em up movies and revenge movies and "take that for hurting my family" type of movies, this just took it extremely too far. I had such high hopes for this movie, and it sincerely and severely let me down. For the parents who take their underage kids to see rated "R" movies (mine did, and they regret it), think twice, otherwise you will have ALOT of explaining to do on the way home. Trust me. 2 out of 10 for acting only.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. Missing

Missing Pathologist

Yeah KimboO8 I have not seen it but had read the plot from other sources and figured it to be just as you put in the post above. I too am for some of these movies but this one probably goes to far and unfortantuly this could be a truth for some people who have had the unfortune to be victimized and could give some people more ideas --some sick people out there. Besides they say truth is stanger than fiction.

Quanantine --Not a bad movie but I was laughing in parts as I don't know why people do the things they do when they should know better. It has that same style filming like Cloverfield with someone who has a camera filming everything he sees, so if you don't like that then this is not for you but it is a good movie.
    But seriously if you saw someone who is foaming at the mouth and groaning would you try to help even after you saw a similar person lunge at another and try to eat or kill them. So in that I was laughing. The best scene is when the camera guy kills one with his camera that was hilarious. :guffaw:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

Let em retract something from my previous post. Bill Paxton is not Sara's father. Just thought I'd let everyone know. My bad. When someone tells you something, you believe them, and then spread it like wildfire! Back on topic....:)

7. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, just saw "Monsters Vs Aliens", and while it wasn't the best animated feature I've seen in terms of comedy or whatever (but it was still cute!), man! This was my first foray into the new 3D scene and holy crap, was it ever amazing! 3D is not like I remember it, I guess as last seen in the 80's! This was no Jaws 3 in 3D!

Seriously, it was a fun movie, and it still had a lot of laughs (as you'd expect with something featuring Seth Rogan, Will Arnette and Stephen Colbert), but the 3D was what really knocked my socks off! Amazing! :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  8. LyzabethSay

LyzabethSay Prime Suspect

Last one I must have watched was - The Duchess a couple nights ago now.

Good movie. Strange - but good. If I were to explain what happenes throughout the story you'd think it was really long winded and boring but it's not... It's not SHORT but it doesnt FEEL long [if you get my drift] Loving how the characters were acted though.

Georgiana - Very convincing... Well at least at most parts - I think there was a part at the very end and one slightly in the middle that were a little less but over all brilliant performance from Keira. Reminded me a lot of Princess Diana... Though she WAS her ancestor so makes sense.

The Duke - A character you just HATE from the start but I can just say, ACE performance from Ralph, except for the fact that I wanted to slap him most of the times he was really good... Very few lines but the sheer determination in his face was wow-ish

Charles Grey - Probably my most favourite character cuz you kindda feel sad for him cuz you KNOW he's not going to end up with Georgiana but you WANT him to. And plus, who DOESNT think Dominic Cooper is HOT! He's a very mysterious character hidden behind his politics - I think that's what makes him intresting.

I think one very intresting subject touched on throughout the movie is the lack of women's rights and ablity have their say in things. I mean, I know Georgiana does a whole speech to crowds of people but she's treated more as a celebrity that a person in though situations. The constrast between that and her inablity to express views to her husband is a very touching aspect of 1800s society that I think was well expressed.

Definatley a movie I would watch again and recommend people to watch =D

9. bumble_bee89

bumble_bee89 Rookie

Quarantine
    Okay, weird as hell really.
    I can’t really explain this film without giving too much away so…I’ll make it short and sweet.

Basically, there is a news reporter and her camera man. They are doing a night at a local fire station when the fire department get called out on a job. There is no fire, just an old woman and an apartment block full of all sorts of people. The first 15 minutes I thought were pretty dull…like watching bloopers from an actual news show; but after that it finds its pace – and it is clear to the audience what the film is going to be about.

Although it is quite gripping, it’s filmed by the camera guy…the whole thing; which gives you a sense that you are actually there…all in all I’d give it a solid 7/10.

Twilight
    One of the coolest and best films that I’ve seen in a while, although it’s got a large cult/teen following I know a lot of people that are middle aged that really loved this. I read all 4 books earlier on in the year last year and then when the film came out I went to go see it.

But watched it again this morning now it’s out on DVD and I have to say it’s genius. Although it does differ a lot from the book it earned it’s right to be on the screen. It’s a classic epic love film with twists really, Vampires and humans living together in every day life.

I know there is a lot of people out there who cannot stand it but they should really give it another chance, the film grips you and holds you right until the last second, you almost feel apart of it. You cry, laugh, swoon along with it for the whole 2 hours.

I think the best thing about it is that the Vampires are not your average vampires, they don’t go around in caves, hiding away from the sun, they don’t burn in the sun, they don’t eat humans, they don’t have fangs…they are so different from every vampire story that it’s a breath of fresh air.

And Dr. Carlisle Cullen is THE best looking 360 year old man to walk the earth lol.
    :thumbsup:

10. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

Hi everyone

Watched Fast and Furious 4 , of course it was no oscar winning film but Dom and Brian were all I needed ,
    they are back and Dom didn't kill Brian ;) *is a happy fangirl*
    I liked the little scenes that gave the feeling of a connection to the other movies and it was nice to see some characters again.
    About the action what can I say - Action movies are not for the emotional deeper meaning or always logical conclusion *g* -> nice cars ,cool races and of course explosions (boys wanna play ,girls too).
    For my taste there could have been more Dom/Brian scenes - they have great chemistry, and I love Doms gravity/familysense vs Brian homeless streetdog (that hooked me since the first movie) - but overall I can live with the writers way of handling their meeting.

@sandersidle: sorry forgot about spoiler ^^°

@bumble_bee89
    still have to read the books ,but I agree this kind of vampire is refreshing.
    And dad Cullen, I had the urge to headdesk the whole time because I couldn't remeber the actor ^^: dear calm daddy Cullen is hyper activ ,flirty,always talking Van Ray from "Fastlane" (Tv series) :guffaw:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  11. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Welcome to talkcsi, xeri! While posting in this thread, please remember not to give away any major details about the movie such as deaths, etc. Some people don't want to know what happens before they see it. Thank you. :)

12. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

So I watched Twlight ... and I just don't get why everyone is having a heart attack about the movie. To me it could have been a lot better. I kind of got tired with all the staring going on between Bella and Edward :shifty: In my opinion the book was excellent and by far a lot better than the movie. Maybe I'm just too old to find the movie better than it was.

I also saw 12 Rounds :shifty: by far the worst action movie I have ever seen. Everything was so predictable and at times I thought I was watching Die Hard and Speed, they took stuff right out of those movies and it didn't have any originality to it at all.

13. Missing

Missing Pathologist

You took the words right out of my mouth on this one. 3D today is pretty cool not your 80's comic book crap which gives you a headache.

14. MyMutantRomance

MyMutantRomance Witness

I went to see the new Friday the 13 for one reason... Jared P. I'm not going to say it was the worst movie i've ever seen but it was just like every scary movie that came before it.
    And I love the Twilight books but was more than a little disappointed by the movie.

15. Kimbo08

Kimbo08 CSI Level One

The Haunting in Connecticut - Not too bad to tell you the truth. I was forced to see this movie and was sure I was going to hate it. But it was actually somewhat good. not like other horror movies! It actually caused the viewer to think and figure out what was going on. Not severly scary, but enough to make you a jump a few times. Overall good movie. I would give it an 8 out of 10.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.