Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

BTW, for anyone who's interested, I counted 4 promos on CBS last night between 9:00 & 11:00 EST for "Lab Rats". Is this par for the course for CSI? Because I counted a couple last Friday too when Numb3rs was on, and it struck me that CBS was promoting "Lab Rats" far more than "Big Shots."

BTW, for anyone who's interested, I counted 4 promos on CBS last night between 9:00 & 11:00 EST for "Lab Rats". Is this par for the course for CSI? Because I counted a couple last Friday too when Numb3rs was on, and it struck me that CBS was promoting "Lab Rats" far more than "Big Shots."

It could be reactionary, but I do wonder if perhaps it's simply easier to promote certain episodes. Meaning that Lab Rats looks funny and quirky. While I enjoyed Big Shots, in order to have anything that looked remotely sensational, you had to blow the twist in the storyline that comes 40 minutes into the episode (the James family involvement).

Though it got them good ratings, I always felt like they shot themselves with what they did on Leaving Las Vegas. The worst thing you can do, long-term, is to essentially mislead your audience with advertisements.

I've seen some Grey's ads committing that same sin. It's always like, "Tonight on Grey's - something you WON'T BELIEVE!" and then just Izzie and Mer and Cristina gasping or something.

And it turns out to be that there's a patient with a bad foot rash or something.

You get my point.

They can advertise Lab Rats without giving anything away. The rats are going to try to solve the MCSK case. Hilarity may or may not ensue. Please watch!

As for the frequency of the ads... that is most likely just a reaction to lower ratings. That said, if ads were all you needed to boost ratings, Grey's should be number one constantly in Canada (you can't pass a single bus or billboard without seeing Meredith's heavily airbrushed face), and I have yet to see one CSI:Las Vegas ad downtown, and CSI tends to be number one every time - beating AI, Survivor, GA, Dancing With the Stars... you name it.

It's a hard one to call.

Thanks for the info, Dee.

I think that no longer being #1, and the fact that it's been a really good season (opinion) suggests that CSI might be able to get back in line for awards nominations next year.

Especially with the craptasticness of Grey's, the slight quality slide of House (IMO) and no real fantastic new dramas that have come out lately.

That said, they'll probably give it to Studio 60, because they love giving awards to shows that have been cancelled. lol.

Anyway - here are AI's results from last night:

Zap2it: "American Idol" drew a 15.2/24 at 8 p.m., losing about 600,000 viewers from last week but still dominating the hour.

Down again. If CSI's ratings stay the same as last week, House might be competition, as it drew a 12.9/20.
Audience results from Marc Berman show:

House with 21.55 million
American Idol with 26.00 million

I have no doubt CSI will come back strong again this week and pull off 22 million.

Here's something I found interesting. This is what Grey's got for ratings for a repeat last year on a Sunday: (households: 9.0/15, #T3; adults 18-49: 5.9, #2).

Here's what they had just last week for a repeat:

(households: 5.8/10, #5; adults 18-49: 3.0, #T6)

ETA

For anyone looking forward to CSI and Grey's going head-to-head again, you'll have to wait until the 19th.

CSI will have new episodes on April 12, April 26, May 3, May 10 and May 17.

Grey's will have new episodes on

Grey's will have new episodes on April 19, April 26, May 3, May 10 and May 17.

The May 3 episode will be two hours long, so I don't know what that'll mean for CSI.

Either way - this week CSI goes without GA, then GA goes without CSI, and then it's head-to-head from here on out.

It sucks that the finale will be head to head, I would have liked to seen which would have done better un-contested.

It sucks that the finale will be head to head, I would have liked to seen which would have done better un-contested.

As would I, but there it is.

If I recall correctly, the two hour one is going to be the potential spinoff episode. That in mind, it might wind up either being something that boosts Grey's popularity, or really drives it into the hole.

CSI doesn't have a lot of whiz-bang episodes coming up until 23 and 24. So I guess we'll just have to hope that quality reigns supreme over gimmicks.

I really think a Grey's spinoff is not just going to drive the spinoff into the ground, but the franchise as a whole. Any word on what night the spinoff will air on next season, and if Grey's is gonna stay in its timeslot?

I really think a Grey's spinoff is not just going to drive the spinoff into the ground, but the franchise as a whole. Any word on what night the spinoff will air on next season, and if Grey's is gonna stay in its timeslot?

From the sound of it, the popularity and reaction of the two-part episode (or whichever one is the official spinoff episode) is going to determine whether they're really going to pick it up entirely. So I don't think scheduling has been decided yet.

They're still referring to it as the "potential spinoff". I think they know what a precarious move this is.

So American Idol went up (27.91 million), due to their hour-long show (apparently their numbers went up hugely in the second hour.

But Lost looks like it'll be no competition with just over 11 million viewers.

One note about the Grey's clip show - they're making it sound like a new episode. Denny (Izzie's dead fiance) is narrarating it, and a lot of TV-guide type publications are making a big deal of it. So it mind wind up having an impact simply because its importance is misleading. We'll see...

Haha only Grey's Anatomy would bring people back from the dead. CSI is going big tonight, I can feel it.

I don't watch AI, but wasn't Jennifer Lopez on last nights episode? That would possibly be a reason for their spike in ratings last night..

Okay, so here's the deal: Grey's was very much acting as though tonight was a new episode when I was watching the ads during the Ugly Betty recap (I've missed a few). While a lot of GA fans sound pissed off (because it was a clip show, which they knew, but I think ABC made it sound like it was going to be a 'special episode' somehow), I do think that the fact that they advertised this so hard under slightly false pretenses is going to put a big ole' dent in CSI's ratings.

I didn't see one ad for Grey's, but then again I never seem too. Any word on how they did last night yet, I'm starting to get that feeling that the futon critic's fast ratings get slower and slower each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back