Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

Destiny said:
*walks in* hmm Want to know what I see?

I see alot more of the discussion being that of shipping which last I looked that forum was a couple doors down. hmm occasional mention of it one thing, where this is going another.

Shouldn't have thought "Gee I wonder what she see's?" :lol: *Walks out*

*thought Destiny was eating her Easter dinner. :p*
*is embrassed*

*walks out*
:lol:

Ya . . . about those ratings. Look on the bright side, the only thing that beat CSI last week was American Idol. And Dancing with the Stars ratings are down a lot as well.

Ya . . . about those ratings. Look on the bright side, the only thing that beat CSI last week was American Idol. And Dancing with the Stars ratings are down a lot as well.

Agreed. And, as I said, the last episode that aired around Easter dinner was the worst rated of the year... and it certainly didn't have GA in its timeslot... or anything else, for that matter.

There isn't one reason for the ratings drop, but every tv show like this with the whole relationship thing, when they finally put the two characters together, almost always suffers a ratings drop. Especially when there are quite a few fans who are passionately against it. Read the messages on jump the shark, woah! I did point out that CSI's ratings in the Toronto area has also dropped about 20% from last season, so I don't believe Greys has that big of impact.

And as I pointed out several posts, the amount of actual GSR scenes isn't why people feel its taking over the show. Look at all the discussions on the different message boards...this storyline has taken over the season, and it is one of the main storyline of season.

I consider anytime Sara and Grissom spend together as a GSR scene. Their constant 'flirting' at crime scenes (which I find annoying and unprofessional, in my opinion), plus they worked together almost every case, which is insane. They have cut out almost all interaction between Grissom and Catherine....there are just many reasons why it feels like the GSR is taking over the show, and these reasons could have something to do with the ratings drop, not necessarily the relationship itself, but the effects of it on the show.

But I think Grissom being missing more and more, and that his character seems to be fading away, like he isn't interested in anything, is the biggest reason for the ratings drop.

naaaah, i don't think people care about GSR that much. i mean, nobody's really that passionate about the show as we are and maybe if some people don't really like it, they still watch cuz this year's episodes were totally awesome. GSR in not really that big of a deal as some people try to make it.

ratings drop? i'd say Grey's, and besides it's the overall tendency of every single show on TV right now. and mind you, not every show has Grissom and Sara in it. in fact, it's only CSI.

and i think what sarah said is very significant. point out ONE, just one series where there wasn't a kiss or a hug between two characters that are implied to be in a long term relationship for almost 2 years now.

i can think of one: Cow and Chicken. know anything else?

Maybe Sanford & Son.

Anyways, the ratings aren't even that bad, CSI is still and will forever be one of the most successful television shows of all time. And I'm a guy who hates chick flicks and cheesy movies, and I don't have a problem with the minimal GSR stuff, it doesn't bother me at all and never effects the case. We've never had GSR centric episode, and the rest of the team doesn't even know, because if they did even more time would be spent on it. The ratings drop is prolly due to the different people they sample each year, because if they were the same the ratings drop would probably be smaller.

well, Greys only accounts for the drop in the US ratings...but as I pointed out before, the ratings listed for CSI in the Toronto star, the ratings has dropped about 20% from last season...Greys isn't shown at the same time in canada, in fact its on the same channel shown before vegas. This is why I don't believe greys isn't that big of an issue for the ratings. The ratings for all shows seem to be going down lately, I think that innertube online, and tivo might be causing this...cause I know that they only count the ratings on tivo if the person watches it the same day. But how many times does that happen?

I don't think its that people are against the actual relationship, but tv shows with the long term teasing relationships between 2 characters, usually suffer when they get them together. I have never seen it work...

And keep it mind that the ratings is only 5,200 houses, therefore you take away a couple families then it looks like u got a drop off.

Read the messages on jump the shark, woah!

I've visited Jump the Shark lately. A week ago, Grissom and Sara were eighth on the list. Then their numbers "magically" rose over 400 points.

I no longer trust any system that relies on a voting mechanism which allows multi-voting by people who can clear their cookies.

Bottom line is that you cannot know why people chose to tune out. Even if you interviewed a handful, that won't tell you the majority.

Nielsen says that they survey roughly less than 1% of the actual viewing public. This means that, if you want to raise it to just a plain percent, that in truth, if 22 million people "watched" CSI, 22,000 people actually watched it to give them that figure. Which means that, in reality, they can only prove that 8,000 or so people have tuned out. Not 8 million.

I'm not here to debate the methods of Nielsen, but their methods have been under fire from a lot of professionals lately in the business and it's been suggested that they make large changes to their program.

We can never, ever know if 8 million have actually tuned out, or if 8,000 tuned out, and that percentage was radically different from the reality.

Ratings are flawed. They're fun, but they're still flawed. And trying to analyze every speck gets kind of pointless.

I have fun with my charts, I like printing them up, but I'm aware that for all I know, CSI could have 22,000 viewers or 220 million.

I think that at the end of the day, if you're enjoying the show, it shouldn't matter how many other people are watching it.

A show likes Bones averages maybe - what? 8 million viewers, according to Nielsens? WAY below CSI, and yet I doubt that they bemoan their place in the ratings (never in the top 20).

Ultimately, if the show is still enjoyable, then who cares if the advertisers are paying an extra million to keep it going? 22 million or 32, it still has a huge audience today. Again, according to a flawed system.

All ratings are meant to do is to help a company sell viewers to advertisers. They can be a fun talking point, but they shouldn't be the only thing about the show that matters.

ETA

I didn't know the numbers were as low as 5200. I mean, at that point, if 500 people don't tune in, you've "lost" 10% of your audience. In the case of CSI, that would mean a drop from 22 million to 19.8 million.

well, Greys only accounts for the drop in the US ratings...but as I pointed out before, the ratings listed for CSI in the Toronto star, the ratings has dropped about 20% from last season...Greys isn't shown at the same time in canada, in fact its on the same channel shown before vegas. This is why I don't believe greys isn't that big of an issue for the ratings. The ratings for all shows seem to be going down lately, I think that innertube online, and tivo might be causing this...cause I know that they only count the ratings on tivo if the person watches it the same day. But how many times does that happen?

I don't think its that people are against the actual relationship, but tv shows with the long term teasing relationships between 2 characters, usually suffer when they get them together. I have never seen it work...

CSI is still number one most nights in Canada. It beat American Idol and the Superbowl consistently. Grey's rarely makes the top 5.

Well it is 5,200 houses, and they usually sample houses with as many people as possible, so it comes out around 30,000. But obviously, people that don't want to to bothered and don't watch television often denie Nielsen's offer, and big tv fans who want to be part of them except the offer. Keeping the People Meter is also a pain in the ass from what I hear, and there is a list full of flaws in the people meter system. And sporting events usually get the short end of the stick from people with them, and seriously, they used to sample no college kids at all (ballpark 18-24 year olds), which was pretty dumb, and now recently took it up. I relate that to some of the drop.

Yes, I did point out that they are still #1 in canada, but the number of viewers is down by about 20%...they are losing ground, but AI and Greys isn't as popular, so they are still at the top :D Canada loves CSI, once I counted 16 episodes on one day (including miami and ny)

Yes, I did point out that they are still #1 in canada, but the number of viewers is down by about 20%...they are losing ground, but AI and Greys isn't as popular, so they are still at the top Canada loves CSI, once I counted 16 episodes on one day (including miami and ny)

I think that if they're down 20%, but are still the number one show, then honestly it doesn't matter. It likely says that Canada just isn't watching as much TV.

I don't know what the sampling numbers are up here, but I do recall the system being somewhat different.

ETA

Okay, most surreal thing ever yesterday? I was at work and this girl was telling her brother about how CSI had lost an eighth of its viewership. I was like, "Wait - wait. People other than us internet weirdos pay attention?" lol. And now watch how I unwittingly encountered xfcanadian... *cues eerie music* lol.

How many people get sampled in Canada??

I am not sure, I have too much school work, I don't feel like looking at more statistics...

sarahvma said:
Yes, I did point out that they are still #1 in canada, but the number of viewers is down by about 20%...they are losing ground, but AI and Greys isn't as popular, so they are still at the top Canada loves CSI, once I counted 16 episodes on one day (including miami and ny)

I think that if they're down 20%, but are still the number one show, then honestly it doesn't matter. It likely says that Canada just isn't watching as much TV.

I don't know what the sampling numbers are up here, but I do recall the system being somewhat different.

ETA

Okay, most surreal thing ever yesterday? I was at work and this girl was telling her brother about how CSI had lost an eighth of its viewership. I was like, "Wait - wait. People other than us internet weirdos pay attention?" lol. And now watch how I unwittingly encountered xfcanadian... *cues eerie music* lol.

:lol: :lol: I'm commin' to get ya ;) Actually someone on this board is in one of my university classes this semester, and that poster mentioned it on the board. What are the chances!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back