Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I think the rating slide happened for the same reason I lost a lot of interest in vegas, and new york became my new favorite show. Grissom started to disappear. A lot of the second half, he was missing, and those episodes were terrible. The episodes he was in for more than a second, I thought were pretty good, like Spellbound.

I agree. It felt like they suddenly flatlined in the second half of the season. With the exception of Kiss-Kiss Bye-Bye and Roshomama, it basically sucked.

This season isn't as good though, the whole sara and grissom thing is just making a mess, and i am not surprised the ratings are the way that they are. I am hoping there will be at least one more episode where sara and grissom are not looking/touching or near each other.

There I disagree, but not because of GSR. Everyone's entitled to their opinion on that and it is very subjective. I think the cases have been awesome and the storylines far more interesting than the bulk of last year.

Also, when GA hasn't been in the same timeslot, their numbers have stayed pretty constant with what they were getting for the second half of last year, which says to me that those people are probably downloading or TiVo'ing it instead.

Ya I notice looking back that Grissom had less then a 5 minute role in most of the episodes in the second half of season six. I do disagree as well when I say the GSR stuff really hasn't played that big of a deal this season. The storylines since December have been great and each episode gets better and better.

Note: Tonight I am watching March Madness again and I've only seen one CSI promo, again not for Empty Eyes but a 10 second spot about the Mini Killer. I would like to add I have seen 6 of the same promo's for the show "Jericho." I think CBS is happy coming in second to Grey's and just takes for granted the same CSI audience, in that case not advertising at all. They had the Super Bowl and the NCAA tournment in the last 3 months and they have done a very crappy job promoting the show. I am interested however what it will be like when May comes and how the advertise the season finale, because we all know how it was last season with "Way to Go."

Well, I think CSI is happy to come second to Grey's because... they're not.

According to the full season-long ratings, CSI is the number-one scripted show on TV. Because, of course, advertisers are also interested in repeats (only shown during the same timeslot, of course) and CSI gets about 15 million, about 10 million more than Grey's, every time it airs a re-run on a Thursday night.

Still, though - they NEED to advertise CSI more if they really want to boost their ratings higher.

I'm referring to the new episodes, which I think you knew. As a fan, I don't really care that the repeats are rated higher then Grey's, I want to see the new episodes beat them out.

So do I. I would much rather see Empty Eyes beat the pants off of the pathetically-rated last two episodes of Grey's (pathetic only in the sense that it had SO many viewers for the ferry arc, and when they've gone up against a CSI repeat in the past, they've had much higher numbers, so this really is a drop for them), and I'd like to see Season 8 for CSI being no contest.

Whether or not people agree that CSI is better this year than last, it seems that the majority of Grey's fans are pissed off. And if your most loyal fanbase - those who will spend time talking about it online - isn't pleased, that doesn't say much for the casual viewer.

I have believed for a while now that GA will just hit the floor, like most other shows that were really popular for their first few seasons.

I blame TiVO for the drop in ratings. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the storylines. I hope CSIs ratings just go sky-high this upcomming Thursday.

I know it is a bad mindset, but I'm kind of excepted losing to GA (New episodes that is :D), because I used to have my hopes up real high when they would go one on one, but the reality is that CSI is in its 7th year and gets no media attention at all, where Grey's is the most talked about show on tv. I do think that by the end of the season, CSI will shock the world (haha) and beat Grey's . . . at least for one week going head to head.

lol. I know what you mean. I'm trying to say, "GA's ratings will fall fall fall!" and sort of keeping CSI's out of it.

I think that it's been a stellar season on many counts, but viewership won't necessarily reflect quality.

CSI has never really gotten much attention for its plots or its episodes. When it was at its peak of attention, it was always because it was a new, innovative program or the firing incident.

Grey's being super-talked-about can backfire, as well. Just like it did with DesperateHousewives.

Ok well I have a question for everyone. Do you think the spinoffs have helped ratings or hurt them? I think a case can be made both ways, but I'd lean towards hurting them. Like what you said, it was popular cause it was new and innovative, but CBS tried monopolizing on the idea and I think that hurt CSI:LV because it took a lot from it. I mean think of the tremendous types of storylines that it could have had without the spinoffs, every episode would be great (not like it already isn't).

Oh I definitely think the spinoffs have hurt CSIs ratings! If there were none, I'd bet we'd have way more viewers than we do now.

sarahvma I never compared GA to Desperate Housewives, but DH used to be really popular didn't it? It still is, but not as much as it did. OC used to be huge as well, and now look at it.

ETA: But like it was said by Jorja (I believe in the interview on CSIfiles, but i'm not positive) other people were going to eventually pick up spinoffs, so why not CBS?

I think that the spinoffs have potentially hurt CSI's creativity, but ratings-wise I don't believe it took away viewers from one show to the other.

I've noticed a lot of people saying "Ann Donahue should come back", but look at the mess Miami is in right now in terms of direction and writing and quality.

I think that it's a really hard one to call, because we'll never know. But what it did do was force CSI, for better or worse, to have its own, unique, firm identity. That's when they brought in the blue "night shift" wash, and I think made it the quirkiest of the three shows. Miami became the most soapish, and New York the most Police-heavy.

Either way, I definitely don't think it helped.

Ya Sarah I was just thinking about that the other day, Miami definitely is soapish, I compare it to an unrealistic action movie, like Crank or something of that matter. Horatio's acting IMO is just brutal, sometimes my friends and I will watch Miami just to laugh at DC's acting and predict whether or not he will or won't take his glasses off before saying something ridiculous. He also always has his head tilted to the side and never looks at people when he talks.

New York, like you said, is very police heavy. Reminds me way too much of NYPD Blue & Law and Order. I liked the first season, when it was darker and reminded you of Forensic Files, then they went all pop culture with the show, which probably helped the ratings but turned me off a little bit. Vegas has the best acting and characters IMO. Another thing I realized is that NY has some of the most bizarre cases.

sarahvma said:
The ratings slide for CSI happened around the halfway mark of Season 6, and I think it was more due to the lackluster cases than anything else.

A lot of new viewers were pulled in with Grave Danger. The promise from TPTB was that the entire team would suffer from repersuccions in S6. Nothing happened, and by mid-season the new viewers just gave in.

I more or less gave in by the end of S6 - and watched sporadically. The Kepplers episodes really did breathe new life into CSI. Sadly it was brief and now we seem to be back at the bad writing again.

Bad writing? I call it good writing. 7 seasons in and the writers come up with a storyline as good as the Mini Killer has been. There hasn't been a season where I wasn't able to wait till the next episode as the second half of this season has been. The cases have been as intriguing as ever.

gsrLOVE said:
Oh I definitely think the spinoffs have hurt CSIs ratings! If there were none, I'd bet we'd have way more viewers than we do now.

sarahvma I never compared GA to Desperate Housewives, but DH used to be really popular didn't it? It still is, but not as much as it did. OC used to be huge as well, and now look at it.

ETA: But like it was said by Jorja (I believe in the interview on CSIfiles, but i'm not positive) other people were going to eventually pick up spinoffs, so why not CBS?

I doubt if anyone would stop watching vegas because of the other shows. They would just not watch the other 2 if they are sick of too much CSI. I would argue they actually help vegas's ratings. On the new york board, the question was asked about how people started to watch the show. More than half said they were fans of Gary Sinise, and a lot of them started to watch the other CSI's because of this. Also, the three shows are different, so you have a choice of styles. I know several people who only watch Miami, and think vegas is boring. This way you have a broad viewership for the entire franchise. Also there are three killer timeslots per week. The other networks probably hate CBS for this.

The miami fans on this board are different from me, they seem to take the show really seriously. Its like they are expecting it to be like vegas. I watch it for the pure entertainment. Its cheesy, ridiculous, fake, soap operaish, and explosive...entertainment!! I think the younger audience might go for this one...its the pimped out csi. Also, DC acting has been exagerated these past couple of seasons, they play up the cheesiness...its funny! I don't know why people keep complaining about the quality...I am lovin' miami the past two seasons. It is also the reason I watch Vegas. Never gave CSI a chance. My dad watched some Miami eppys, and I decided to watch vegas from that. So they gained one viewer from that spinoff...

New York - The past year this one is my favorite out of the three. Better storylines, amazing acting (gary sinise rocks...), great characters. The first season was ok, but I love the make over they did with the show. Its exciting, more action, they do a lot with their characters. More copish, because the CSI's are all cops themselves.

Overall, still say the spinoffs are a good thing, especially for the ratings. Love all three, for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back