Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

At 10 p.m., CBS assumed the lead with a "CSI" repeat, 7.0/12. (A Bullet Runs Through It Part 2), up from 6.1/11 for A Bullet Runs Through It Part 1 from last week on Tuesday at 10.

I watched it last night, and remembered how good of an episode it was. I rank it right behind Grave Danger as the two best ever.

Hmm... this is interesting: Thursday's ratings have been delayed on Zap2it. While it may be a computer glitch, I know that when companies aren't pleased with their ratings, they tend to take a little longer to put them forth.

Now they could've gotten amazing ratings last night for GA, and again, could be a server error, but it's just a little unusual.

Good ratings or bad ratings, Grey's continued its awful streak yesterday night. I watched about 5 minutes, but I couldn't stop laughing - and I really wasn't meant to laugh. One thing I'm always grateful of: CSI may have had some boring episodes last year, but it never got hideously cheesy. Between hideously, and possibly show-damagingly cheesy, and boring, I'll take boring.

It doesn't much matter because the show wasn't up against CSI last night, or even a CSI repeat, which usually gets about 15 million. Between fan dissatisfaction, and the fact that there wasn't really a cliffhanger last night, if they're showing a new one next week (which they might - they didn't announce last night's as a new one until about 3 days before) then I think CSI has a good shot of overtaking them.

But then, I always think that. lol.

In the end, I'm just happy that CSI has far more quality of episodes than it did last year, and Grey's is awful. I'm fairly confident that GA won't be seeing the same barrage of awards it got for Season 2. And if the MCSK case wraps up nicely, I wouldn't be surprised to see CSI on the bill. They definitely would deserve it.

Before anyone jumps on me, all of this was my opinion and thoughts about the last season, this season, and GA. Other people have said this season is bad, and I get it - my opinion isn't shared by everyone. I've just noticed more critics from newspapers or TV guide choosing to focus on CSI's cases or episodes more than the ratings or the firings, like last year or the year before.

I've never seen Grey's, but I know my mother and sister watch the show back home, but I'll don't hear nearly as much about it as I used too. I remember Nip/Tuck went through a Grey's type streak last year too where it was huge but just drove itself into the ground, I see Grey's doing the same thing. Even when CSI was the #1 overall program back in season 3 and 4, you still never heard as much about it as you hear about Grey's, Heroes, etc. today.

Empty Eyes looks really good, and CBS is now advertising the Mini Killer for episodes down the road. I like the direction they are going in right now for the final stretch of the season.

And TV Guide has a Grey's repeat scheduled for next week. I wanted to see a new Grey's vs. CSI matchup because we haven't seen one in over a month, and will probably have to wait another couple weeks to see it again.

And TV Guide has a Grey's repeat scheduled for next week. I wanted to see a new Grey's vs. CSI matchup because we haven't seen one in over a month, and will probably have to wait another couple weeks to see it again.

Well... normally I would agree, but I think it's good that people are sort of tuning into Grey's and seeing how awful it's become, and then given an opportunity to see CSI on first-run (if the ratings turn out well), so that by the time we get our next match-up, both shows will have had an opportunity, and we'll be able to better see which fan base is happier.

It's a shame though, because the end of last season wasn't popular with fans (which is when ratings began to decrease), and IMO the start of this season wasn't very exciting, but once the Mini Killer and Keppler stuff kicked off it has been very exciting. Maybe it is because of the different people Nielsen has sampled this year, but if the CSI fans of old saw this great season, the ratings would be higher. I just think some people gave up and now feel like they have missed too much to come back.

The ratings slide for CSI happened around the halfway mark of Season 6, and I think it was more due to the lackluster cases than anything else.

The season opener, you're right, was pretty tame - especially when it had to contend with the major opener Grey's served up.

I think that it's the trouble with TiVo. I've said it too many times to count, but CSI is really more of a record-and-watch kind of show if something else is on.

Anyway - the last time CSI went solo, they got 26 million viewers, which was above the average for the second half of Season 6. It says that those are likely the number of people TiVo'ing or watching on Intertube when they have the chance, so hopefully they will start to come back.

As a sidenote, Grey's ratings finally came in. Though marginally, they are indeed down from last week - which, by the way, was the continuation of a major cliffhanger.

I'll type out what I said at YTDAW:

Grey's is down from last week's 14.6/23 very, very minimally with this week's 14.3/22
From Zap2it:
"Grey's Anatomy" ruled the 9 p.m. hour with a 14.3/22.

As a sidenote, Grey's ratings finally came in. Though marginally, they are indeed down from last week - which, by the way, was the continuation of a major cliffhanger.
Grey's was supposed to air a re-run last Thursday, but ABC changed their minds the last minute and aired an original epi instead (the continuation of their "cliffhanger"). Could be the reason why their ratings were affected

Grey's was supposed to air a re-run last Thursday, but ABC changed their minds the last minute and aired an original epi instead. Could be the reason why their ratings were affected

If they were a lot lower than last week, I would agree with you, but the drop here is minimal enough to suggest that the same people who watched last week tuned in, some decided not to, and with nothing else on TV appealing to women during that hour (their main demo) most people would probably tune in just to check anyway.

I've seen a lot of dissatisfaction at even the most dedicated Grey's boards.

They also, if I recall correctly, changed their minds about four days ago - plenty of time to still air promos and advertise it on their websites.

I'm not saying it can't be a factor, I'm just saying that it doesn't really seem low enough to say that people who watched last week didn't know it would be on this week, and it's not as though it's been getting stellar reviews lately.

Having said that, I remember that Loco Motives had the same problem, and we saw how much higher their ratings were for Leaving Las Vegas (both were shown without GA).

So I honestly don't know - either way, the number seems consistent enough with last week.
ETA

According to Marc Berman, Grey's got 21.89 million in fast nationals last night. That's down 3.4% from last week's final numbers and 2.2% from last week's fast nationals.

I don't really watch much TV other than CSI or House, so I don't know - but for anyone who's been watching CBS shows, are they advertising Empty Eyes at all? I know one of the reasons people thought CSI gained ratings in episodes like Happenstance or Leaving Las Vegas was because it was promoted really hard by TPTB.

TV Guide posted the change in sked about two days before GA aired.
Having said that, I remember that Loco Motives had the same problem, and we saw how much higher their ratings were for Leaving Las Vegas (both were shown without GA).
I checked CBS Press and the archives in there, they never changed the schedule for Loco Motives. It was December 7 from the start. The only time they changed sched for December 2006-present was for December 28 and the epis they switched were both re-runs (from Fannysmackin' to Unusual Suspect). So the spike in the ratings for Loco Motives and Leaving LV couldn't be because of the change in schedules.

sarahvma said:
I don't really watch much TV other than CSI or House, so I don't know - but for anyone who's been watching CBS shows, are they advertising Empty Eyes at all? I know one of the reasons people thought CSI gained ratings in episodes like Happenstance or Leaving Las Vegas was because it was promoted really hard by TPTB.

I've been following March Madness closely and I saw two CSI promos last night watching the game, neither of which were advertising Empty Eyes, but the miniture killer, and how CSI will be resuming this Thursday. Hope that answers your question.

From TV Guide online:

9 pm
Grey's (21.9 million) was down a half mil, and Supernatural (3.52 mil) maintained last week's admirable numbers. Scrubs (6.53 mil, -160K) and Andy Barker (5.4 mil, -450K) each slipped.

I checked CBS Press and the archives in there, they never changed the schedule for Loco Motives.

TV Guide listed it as a repeat.

I've been following March Madness closely and I saw two CSI promos last night watching the game, neither of which were advertising Empty Eyes, but the miniture killer, and how CSI will be resuming this Thursday. Hope that answers your question.

Thanks. I do wish they were attacking this harder, seeing as how Grey's is slipping due to declining quality (or nosediving quality), but perhaps people will simply tune in out of good taste. lol.

From TV Guide online:

9 pm
Grey's (21.9 million) was down a half mil, and Supernatural (3.52 mil) maintained last week's admirable numbers. Scrubs (6.53 mil, -160K) and Andy Barker (5.4 mil, -450K) each slipped.

Thanks for posting that - I wasn't sure how legit the Marc Berman source was.

I think the rating slide happened for the same reason I lost a lot of interest in vegas, and new york became my new favorite show. Grissom started to disappear. A lot of the second half, he was missing, and those episodes were terrible. The episodes he was in for more than a second, I thought were pretty good, like Spellbound.

This season isn't as good though, the whole sara and grissom thing is just making a mess, and i am not surprised the ratings are the way that they are. I am hoping there will be at least one more episode where sara and grissom are not looking/touching or near each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back