Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

well, well, well. i think i won the bet. MWAHA

did i?

You did indeed, my dear.

The ratings are based on 30,000 people within the states.

You know, I know that Nielsen is supposed to be very accurate, but that still seems like way too few.

You know, I know that Nielsen is supposed to be very accurate, but that still seems like way too few.

Ya I think it is pretty dumb, and it also doesn't include college kids.

ive said before that i dont consider ratings accurate, 30 000 people out of 300 million? please. with that low of a sample size its more likely what they watch isnt representative of what everyone watches. i mean its entirely possible that all 30 000 of those people watch the same show.

i really think 20 million is a sad number for last week. the episode was great and there are more csi fans out there than that. its too bad theyre tuning out for whatever reason. oh well, im still watching and its still a great show. thats all that really matters to me.

really think 20 million is a sad number for last week. the episode was great and there are more csi fans out there than that. its too bad theyre tuning out for whatever reason. oh well, im still watching and its still a great show. thats all that really matters to me.

Well, I think it's probably important to keep in mind that they only count TiVo'ing if it's same-day. What I don't know is if it's same-day TiVo'ing and the numbers that make up the fast nationals, and then the rest of the Vo'ing that makes the finals, but i doubt it.

Either way - according to psychology principles, that's a pretty standard sample size. It should be representative, but obviously there will always be holes.

CSI has been on for more than 6 years, and it is being narrowly beat by a new, hot show that just won two big awards. I think that the margin of Grey's win (less than 1%) shows that while CSI is being beat, it's more embarassing that the "hot" show isn't getting better numbers.

Ya I really think they should come up with a better way to do the ratings. And like I said, every person on every college campus in Florida could watch a single show, which could accumulate for Millions, and Nielsen would have no record for it. I'd say with HDTV and Digital signals being mandatory come 2009, Nielsen eventually will have a way to record what everyone is watching. But I wouldn't necessarily get down CSI fans, it just means that people in the 5,000 houses that get recorded aren't watching the show. We'll see if Grey's Anatomy and American Idol are doing this good come their seventh season.

well actually 30 000 people to poll is quite a lot. normal polls are usually based on 1000 - 5000 people and they are pretty accurate (with a possible +/- 3% error). for example a governmental unemployment research is based on 60 000 people, but it has to be DAMN accurate. so for a TV ratings poll 30 000 is a lot. and costly.

sarahvma said:
CSI has been on for more than 6 years, and it is being narrowly beat by a new, hot show that just won two big awards. I think that the margin of Grey's win (less than 1%) shows that while CSI is being beat, it's more embarassing that the "hot" show isn't getting better numbers.

Amen to that. Why isn't Grey's getting higher numbers? If they're so great, then...yeah.

I know that the first episode of CSI to reach Number One was "Ellie", but out of curiosity, does anybody know what its ratings were?

Adzix said:
well actually 30 000 people to poll is quite a lot. normal polls are usually based on 1000 - 5000 people and they are pretty accurate (with a possible +/- 3% error). for example a governmental unemployment research is based on 60 000 people, but it has to be DAMN accurate. so for a TV ratings poll 30 000 is a lot. and costly.

Ya but come on, 30,000 people of of 272 million in the US.

^^ when the sample is already so big, there is really no point to make it bigger. it looks like it's not much comparing to the actual number of people living in the US, but from a mathematical standpoint a larger sample is completely unnecessary. you only end up getting the fractions corrected and extended, and a rating this exact isn't needed.

I wonder if this fiasco with the Grey's actor calling the other actor on the show a XXXXXX will have an effect on the ratings.

You know other then the stupid firings, CSI hasn't really had any bad publicity. Touch Wood.

Personally I think the whole thig was a publicity stunt, all worked out to the last detail. Otherwise I believe Issah would have been fired. IMHO

GA seems like they feel the need to saturate themselves in the media to stay ahead in the ratings, keep the show at the forfront of people's minds.

CSI has never had to do this.

Personally I think the whole thig was a publicity stunt, all worked out to the last detail. Otherwise I believe Issah would have been fired. IMHO

No way - no publicity stunt in the world would have an actor being tarnished by a slur that disgusting. No publicity stunt would force another actor to "come out".

I think that there are a variety of things that Grey's has done to win viewers, but right now they're in recovery mode from this.

If Isaiah were ever to move on, he would always be painted by this incident, so I don't think anyone would agree to it.

CSI has never had to do this.

I definitely agree with that - CSI never really waved its ratings around the way that Grey's was doing. They sort of quietly let other people notice them, and then painted themselves the #1 show... after they had been so for a while. The second Grey's got the top spot, the whole #1 thing was everywhere.

I don't watch Grey's so will somebody fill me in on what happened with this Isaah guy cause I've been hearing it everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back