Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

i think we all know exaclty why greys is kicking csi's ass, and its rather amusing

Yeah...CSI is far from getting their ass kicked. In fact, I'd say that being as it's their 7th season and they're barely being beaten by the hottest, most talked about, and most publicized show in America, they really have nothing to be ashamed of.

heartagram69 said:
i think we all know exaclty why greys is kicking csi's ass, and its rather amusing

Yeah, I know. It has taken TPTB way too long to start showing all the GSR sex scenes. :D They went to Gray's out of desperation.

For all the hype, it's amazing that GA hasn't managed to actually open up a can of whoop-hiney on CSI. Our team has managed to hold its own.

Wait did they clinch the season already or is that overall victory just to date??

That's to date. What I did was that I added all of Grey's percentage wins, subtracted CSI's percentage wins and then divided by 13. Considering that Nielsen is a sampling of 1% of the population, the 120,000 difference between CSI and Grey's is a difference of 1200 actual people watching one or the other.

ABC went after CSI thinking they could really knock CSI out. It hasn't happened, I think in part because the audiences aren't exactly the same. Further, ABC has limited their potential audience, I really think that Grey;s would pull amazingly well in another time slot (say 9PM Wednesday, or 10PM Thursday) in a less competitive slot. Having two heavy weight top ranked shows running at exactly the same time is just horrible planning for both sides, and I am confident that CBS isn't going to move CSI around.

Being in Canada and having time shifting network feeds, I have two shots at CSI and 3 or 4 shots at Greys (CSI only runs east time and west time, greys runs at 9PM in each time zone), it is pretty easy up here to do both. In my case, Grey's loses out, because I prefer the first 48 on A&E.

sarahvma said:
Wait did they clinch the season already or is that overall victory just to date??

That's to date. What I did was that I added all of Grey's percentage wins, subtracted CSI's percentage wins and then divided by 13. Considering that Nielsen is a sampling of 1% of the population, the 120,000 difference between CSI and Grey's is a difference of 1200 actual people watching one or the other.

Ya I understand what you did, you just made it sound like they clinched the entire season. Sorry.

Oh and I feel dumb for asking this but what does TPTB stand for, cause I've seen it be used a lot.

mrb105 said:
what does TPTB stand for, cause I've seen it be used a lot.
TPTB = The Powers That Be
That could refer to any higher-ups, bosses, decision makers, producers, network executives, etc.

whew, house is going to kick everyones butt this week, 27.5 million! :eek: so much for clawing our way to the top :lol: no need to worry about greys anymore. so are we still guessing for tonights numbers?

Dang. House did well. I'm surprised anyone knew it was on, as much as Fox likes to preempt it for everything else under the sun. I guess it helps to have AI as a lead in. I like the show (and Hugh Laurie), but it's still not as good as CSI. Ratings be damned.

Dang. House did well. I'm surprised anyone knew it was on, as much as Fox likes to preempt it for everything else under the sun. I guess it helps to have AI as a lead in. I like the show (and Hugh Laurie), but it's still not as good as CSI. Ratings be damned.

Yeah - no question, House is going to beat Grey's and CSI this week. Ironically enough, that concept of a lead-in works better than I think most people thought it would. House usually gets about 18 million viewers.

I think the "battle royale" is still between Grey's and CSI, though, because everyone knows that neither can beat American Idol, and this whole move to a different timeslot for Grey's, as well as the first real competition that CSI has had in years, is a more interesting story than who is on top of the overall ratings.

I'd be interested as to whether the inclusion of a shot of Grissom in this week's promos would draw in viewers, or would drive them away since the ones where he left were so manipulative (with people thinking he'd be gone for good).

Grey's put out a very poor episode last week (my opinion), so one would assume that between Redrum generating so much talk, and Grey's still under a mound of controvercy, that CSI would be the logical choice for tonight's win, but... *shrug*

It's anyones' game in the end. Does controversy bring in more viewers, or drive them away? Will WP's picture in a promo bring people in, or annoy those who felt "tricked" last time?

I think both shows are dealing with tricks that may have worked in the short-term but could have long-term problems.

(by that, for Grey's, I mean calling an episode "To Be Continued" when there was nothing out of the ordinary to continue)

ETA

For anyone interested, most seasons are about 23 episodes long. That means, if CSI and Grey's are both only doing 23 episodes, that in order to win in terms of "number of wins" against Grey's Anatomy, Grey's cannot win more than two more times.

In order to simply win in overall episode numbers (audience), it's basically anyones' game.

was it this week's house that got those ratings, because that was the worst episode I have seen of that show. It was terrible...i am guessing american idol helped their ratings.

Ya CSI needs a win tonight, cause I have no doubt that it will win next week because of the Super Bowl on CBS this weekend. They need to get some momentum going into the rest of the season. And I am so suprised to hear House did so well Tuesday, I don't know one person that watches that show

im not so surprised about house and its ratings... if u really watch it its a pretty gud show (of course its nothing compared to csi) plus that jackass doctor cracks me up lol he treats all his patients like dirt... u would think that its another er show with ppl filling at home a a hospital but with house u wanna get cured and leave
its an ok show but csi still kiks ass even though i think its goin through a pretty rough patch this season

Ya and when you look at Season 6's numbers, CSI would have beat this seasons Grey's every single week, and not just beat but demolish them. The ratings drop could also be due to different people having the nielsen people meters in their homes, compared to years past. CSI is still very very successful, one of the most successful TV series' ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back