On Love Triangles (chock full of *MAJOR SPOILERS*)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Heh, not so intense. The websites I found did all of the work. Google is nice. ;)

It's very interesting to learn where the word comes from, though, since we use it so often in fandom. :)

2. aftertherain

aftertherain Victim

I propose that instead of finding Danny a girl (which seems like he has no problem with) we find Hawkes a girlie.

Or a boy.

Whatever floats your boat.

Okay. I admit, it's off topic so moving back on topic ...

I didn't know that was what "canon" meant. Thanks =)

3. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

It is interesting that the triangle is being built around Danny (again, if that's what's being done). There does seem to be a determination to find him a love interest, which given his status as the undisputed sex symbol of the show, isn't terribly surprising.

But the fact that they're trying out another woman with Danny after dropping the Danny/Lindsay interactions makes me wonder if the writers or the network did see something lacking between Danny and Lindsay. Pairing Danny up should be a good thing, and the pairing needs to have heat given that so much of Danny's appeal is in his sexuality. Some may find Danny and Lindsay cute, but they don't have any heat to them. There's nothing sexually charged about the two together. With Danny and Angell, there does seem to be the potential for that.

4. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

Good points TOP41 and FAYLINN about this being a recent decision or the part of TPTB, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Danny/Angell worked together in ep 1 and ep11(which a lot of was pretaped in NY back at in early July.)

Which in that case would mean that they knew right from the start of the season of the actors chemistry, so why feel the need to pair them up so often now. I am sure its not their way of checking the actors still have chemistry or to gauge audience reation to them, because when we saw ep 13 ep 16 was already filmed and by the time we see ep 16 I am sure they would probably be up to filming at least ep 19, so any decision would have already been made in regards to a possible D/A relationship if they are trying to set this up before Lindsay returns.

Angell was also supposed to appear in ep 12 if my memory serves me correctly ,( working with Danny.) They would have had least had to have had an idea before ep 14 as to write Lindsay leaving the way she does, and to pair them up in as many episodes as they did. Because IMO Lindsay leaving and shutting Danny out plays a big part in this whole possible Danny/Angell pairing, if it didn't they wouldn't have stuck that phonecall in there, right after this moment with Angell, it could have been placed anywhere else in the episode if they just wanted to show us Danny was concerned or worried or just checking up on her.

IMO it would have looked a heck of a lot better for any possible Danny/Angell pairing if TPTB had of had Lindsay go to Danny and be upfront with him. Tell him to his face whats going on with her, why she shut him out, where she is going and what she is doing. To me the show are keeping Danny in the dark in regards to whats going on with her, and they must have a reason for doing that. And if we are to believe Hawkes words in ep 14. What is Danny's emotional state. As we know he is an EMO character. Someone who he is apparantly close to leaves town without telling him to his face, shuts him out and has been keeping him at a distance since ep 3 that has got to effect him on an emotional level, hence the phone call telling Lindsay he misses her, because to me at least it looks as though Danny is questioning himself as to why that moment with Angell occured. It will also be interesting to see how he reacts when he gets that card in ep 14.

A lot of people on here, complained about how this whole D/L thing was handled last season. How is this D/A thing any different, four eps straight and an unexpected moment. That moment has been written so the veiwers know they were going to kiss, how could people mistake that for anything else. It doesnt make any difference IMO if the communication is verbal or non verbal, its been done in a way so we know the intent of that scene and could come off in a way looking to veiwers just like D/L did rushed and forced. This is a television show not real life, it did not have to be written that way and to me it seems they haven't learned anything from how they handled the whole D/L thing. Why didn't they have this moment occur after Lindsay returns and everything was resolved between D/L at least then in viewers eyes and mind there wouldn't be the question of why he is suddenly attracted to Angell when no clues have apparently been dropped before this moment and if he acts on his attraction there is no apparent questions as to why he acts on it. I don't count flirting as a sign either Danny flirts with everyone. IMO if the shows sole intent was to show us Danny has moved on, why not give him a love interest that doesn't appear on or in the least doesn't have a purpose on the show, and by that I mean someone he doesn't work with.

And thats why i wonder about the timing of this whole thing with Lindsay being out of town and what this whole scenario plays in future story lines. People behind TV shows don't work off sudden impulses, when it comes to character development and in essence thats what romances on TV are added for, its more about the characters involved in the romance than the romance itself, especially in this type of show. Its not like they woke up one day recently and said "Lets put Danny in a relationship with Angell because they look good together and have great chemistry" Its always done with a purpose or a reason. Changing something like the characters relationships to each other from platonic to romantic isn't something they can do overnight. It changes the characters whole dynamics and not just the D/A dynamic but the D/L dynamic and the A/L dynamic also. That takes time and planning because it would obviously change the outcome of their original plan in regards to those 3 characters and their story lines for the rest of the season. In essence I suppose what I am saying is IMO everything we have seen this season in regards to D/L and D/A was always their plan.

Another thing that sticks in my mind is when Flack was explaining to Stella about the Flash bang grenade thing Angell was supposed to be there, if they kept that scene as it was maybe Angell would have seen Danny reacting like we did. Why did they remove her from that scene altogether. Also Angell was supposed to appear in ep 10 also working with Lindsay why did they scrap that idea.? Why haven't we seen Danny/Lindsay/Angell work a case together.? Its like Angell is as clueless about Danny and Lindsay as Danny is about Lindsays past. I wonder why that is?

Also we are forgetting about Lindsay's feelings in this whole thing. TPTB made the decision for Lindsay to say that in ep 3 , I am sure they have not forgotten what they wrote. How are they going to handle that. I dont think Lindsay is going to come back and her feelings for Danny have changed or we are going to see her going "oh well I missed my chance" Where would be the drama in that. She may very well come back ready to tell him about her past, but when she finds out he has moved on she will keep quiet, because reagardless of how some people here feel about Lindsay, I cant see her interfering if she thinks Danny is happy especially when its her own fault he moved on because she couldn't trust him or be upfront with him. So yeah she may keep quiet but her feelings for him wont change and I wonder how they are going to play that out onscreen.

Also I don't think she is going to come back like nothings happened either in regards to her past. Think about it, Anna/Lindsay is supposed to return on screen possibly around sweeps time don't you think Zuiker has something big planned in regards to Lindsay's secret. He would be mad to reveal it in a non sweeps period especially when he has made such a big deal out of it. Building it slowly all season to suddenly have it revealed to us in depth in this weeks ep with Anna's limited amount of screen time wouldn't do the storyline justice or make any sense. Why incorporate the trial angle if we never knew what happened there, that trial IMO plays a big part in how this secret is revealed. And I think thats why no mention of her secret was shown in this weeks promo for NY its obvious her exit is going to be low key. I think in this weeks episode we will see Lindsay go to Mac and ask for a leave of absence for personal reasons, and Mac will say he already knows why she needs the time off. In Zuikers interview with KH all he said was that we would find out why Lindsay pulled herself of a case in ep 12, well she did say why to Stella, she said it had something to do with surviving a crime that her friends didn't. He never actually said he would reveal her secret in depth in ep 12.

Maybe something that happens after she returns is going to be made a big deal of. I wonder if he has a plan to reveal or incorporate Lindsay's secret into the crime aspect of the show.

Also what impact could Lindsay's secret being revealed have on any possible D/A relationship, especially if he acts on his attraction because of Lindsay's apparent rejection or because he thinks she can't trust him enough to tell him whats going on with her. We all know Lindsay is going to have a damn good reason for doing what she did and treating him the way she has its not like she is shutting him out to hurt him on purpose. You only had to look at her face in that scene where she told him she couldn't be with him, she was conflicted she didn't want to tell him what she told him, but for some reason unknown to us she had to. We don't know what happened in Lindsay's past apart from she survived a horrible crime we don't know who was responsible and what relationship that person had to Lindsay. IMO I think its a bit harsh to judge her behaviour when none of us know the real reason as to why she is behaving the way she is.

Also this chemistry argument I keep seeing being brought up here. Just because some of you don't see the chemistry between D/L doesn't mean it doesn't exist and the same applies to those who say it about D/A. Chemistry is subjective if you don't want to see it you wont. I personally don't see any romantic or sexual chemistry between any characters on the show because I myself would prefer no couples on the show.

5. Top41

paigeS, great post--very extensive, and I'll try to reply to some of it.

I definitely wouldn't rule out Danny/Angell having been in the works from day one, but if that's the case, maybe "Love Run Cold" was meant to shut the door on Danny/Lindsay permanently, or at least be the beginnings of that. Add that in with the card she leaves him (she can't face him) and the phone call she doesn't answer (same thing again), maybe all of that is the end of D/L and that stuff is in there so that it doesn't look rushed or abrupt. Danny would look pretty fickle if he just dropped Lindsay for Angell, so maybe showing that he did everything he could to reach out to her and got nothing but a lousy card in return is their way of signalling it's just not going to happen.

As for Angell and Danny realizing they have feelings for each other while Lindsay's away--I agree, it's probably setting up for drama when she returns. But whether it will be a roadblock or one of those "yeah, we're done" convos no one knows. I never thought Tina would actually end the Warrick and Catherine flirtation, but that was tabled pretty thoroughly after their one conversation early in season 6.

Angell being removed from scenes could have to do with the actress's availability. Since she's not a regular on the show, Emmanuelle might have other projects that conflict with NY. She might not, but it's a possible reason for her being written out of scenes. Though what you've suggested is certainly plausible too.

Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, that's true. But it's hard to argue that Danny and Lindsay have sexual heat when they clearly don't. Lindsay simply isn't a sexy character, and the scenes she has with Danny don't simmer. Some may see chemistry there, but I've never heard it described as anything but cute. "Cute" doesn't sell in Hollywood. ;) Couples need to be steamy and sweet to really make an impression.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Yeah, that's a long post, and a lot to take in. Just a few points.

Even if they planned this thing with Danny and Angell from the beginning of the season, that's not to say they ever intended to do anything before these episodes. They could have set out knowing perfectly well that the first 'moment' between them wasn't going to happen until midseason. *shrug* A long term plan or a recent decision, nothing has happened until this point except that we've seen Danny and Angell work together in three episodes. The reasons for cutting out other scenes for Angell could be any number of things--mainly the fact that from script to screen, a lot of changes take place. Emmanuelle's availability could be one reason, time constraints could be another, a desire to use Flack in more scenes, etc. We'll probably never know.

Chemistry is certainly in the eye of the beholder, but if I don't see it, I just don't see it. Early in season 2, I wasn't against D/L because I didn't see the things the writers were putting in as flirty or whatever. As for Danny and Angell--what I see there is potential. I've said it too much, probably, but that's the truth. I haven't seen anything romantic between them, just the possibility that it could develop. Danny and Lindsay just don't have any romantic chemistry that I can see, and I'm afraid any potential might have been ruined for me because of the way things were handled toward the end of season 2. There are certainly people who see enough D/L "chemistry" to make Mrs. Long in 12th grade beam, but it's apparently not on a wavelength I'm channeling.

Ultimately, I'm getting tired of the whole debate. I'm arguing like I'm on a crusade for Danny/Angell. The fact is that I'd prefer it to Danny/Lindsay because I see the potential as being something much less distasteful. But more than anything I'd prefer individual character development, friendships, backstories, good cases and believable forensics. If the romance has to be there, if Danny has to have a girlfriend for the writers to be happy, I don't see Danny/Lindsay being any more appealing at the end of the season than it is now. *shrug*

7. HillHarperHOT

HillHarperHOT Prime Suspect

I have a question for Top41, if in season 2 you thought Danny/Lindsey had chemistry what changed this season because just like Danny/Angell they have only worked like 3 cases together?

8. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

I live in england and CSI NY 3 starts next week but im already hooked on the D/L story can any body tell me what they know about the story????plz

9. Top41

Let me qualify this: I found them cute midway through season two. Back when Lindsay wasn't a screaming banshee and when Danny seemed confused and flattered by her attention to him. It seemed she was pursuing him back then (inviting him out to the bar to see Mac play, getting him to help her with an experiment in her case, eating the bugs he bought, etc.), and he was responding. It was cute, it was fun, I bought it.

Then Lindsay started her screaming in every episode and suddenly it was Danny, not Lindsay with the crush and I was confused. I didn't buy any initial attraction between them because they were mean to each other (seriously, adults are past that--those are 4th grade tactics) and then later on she was so unpleasant that I couldn't believe anyone could stand her, let alone like her. That's been true of her this season, too.

This season things have only gotten worse--suddenly Danny, who used to be passionate and fiery, is putting up with getting stood up with nary a complaint? She didn't even give him the courtesy of an explanation until he chased her down. Then we've got the cliched "city boy and country girl/opposites attract" thing this whole pairing is based on.

It's not so much that I ever thought they had chemisty--I've never really seen a spark there. But the pairing intrigued me at one point and I wondered if the spark could develop if things progressed gradually. But that was before it became complete cliched, soap opera nonsense.

Much as I would prefer they drop the Danny/Lindsay pairing for a more mature Danny/Angell pairing--Angell at least doesn't seem like a sullen, surly schoolgirl much of the time like Lindsay does--I doubt that's what's going to happen. At best we'll have a love triangle, and well, if we do, at least it will spare us some awkward, forced Danny/Lindsay scenes.

10. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

What's so wrong with him liking a "cute" girl who's sure, a bit childish, but it's more of a charm to me. She's clearly smart and caring. Why does Danny have to go for the obvious sexy women who's confidant and ...and... you know... strong and maybe a bit intimidating? I dont know...I'm just saying...

11. Top41

Well, Lindsay and Danny aren't really in the same league lookswise...Lindsay might be called cute on her best day, but she's pretty plain, while Danny is sexual and striking...maybe not as good looking as say Flack, but definitely attractive.

But if Lindsay had a winning personality, I'd be able to discount her average looks. But she doesn't--she's not pleasant, she's not nice, she's rude, she's selfish, she's arrogant and I've seen very little evidence that she's "caring." The only sign I've seen that she cares for Danny was in RSRD--otherwise, she pretty much treats him like crap. You don't stand up someone you care about and then make them chase you down for an explanation. You don't stand by while they're getting slapped by an irate mother and just do nothing. You don't constantly try to show up someone you care about.

Lindsay is smart, I'll grant her that. But her negative traits so far outweight that single positive one that I can't fathom what could draw Danny to her. And really, if the relationship isn't believable in the first place, it's never going to feel real.

12. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

SOOOO, what does it matter if they are in the same league lookwise? What does that have to do with anything? Please dont tell me that that is how you see people in relationships.... I know, I know this is just two fictional chraracters and this entire "debate" in really pointless, but seriously.

And, yeah sure Lindsay did stand Danny up and whatever, but it was explained with her "dark past" and she was in a weird place. But, yeah, sure I suppose if you do care, you should be there for them when they need it, not when it's convienent for you. I get that.
    ANYWHO...

13. vexus

vexus Pathologist

I sent you a PM, Jessica :)

*What will happen on the show, will happen, and nobody can change that fact****

14. Top41

Well, in real life people generally go for other people who are of a similar level of attractiveness, unless there's some mitigating factor--like a winning personality.

And I think that's part of my problem with Lindsay--she's so self-centered. When she's working a case, it's all about her theory being right. She doesn't think about the victims or the people she's implicating with her theories, correctly or incorrectly (Super Men, People with Money).

And with Danny, she treats him pretty poorly all around. The standing him up was bad, and I think if she cared she would have been the one to seek him out and offer an explanation. That's bad enough--but then to walk away while he's trying to tell her he's there for her...that's just low. Danny's loyal to a fault and I think he puts up with too much from her. If he had any self-respect (and I think it's been well established that he doesn't), he'd have dropped her long ago.

15. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

I dunno about that whole going for someone with the same attractiveness level as you thing... There are tons of couples, not that I can think of any now, that are clearly not on the same page, so to speak. AND, that too, is a matter of opinion. Maybe Danny doenst find Angell attractive? Huh? Maybe Danny isn't as attractive as you see him? Again, I DONT KNOW. I was just saying.

And, this really is just a moot point, no? What'll be is what'll be.

Oh wait- Leah Remini and Kevin James, anyone? Not that kevin is "ugly", but I think you get my point...