On Love Triangles (chock full of *MAJOR SPOILERS*)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

*WARNING* Major spoilers through episode 16, and beyond if this thread lives that long. ;)

Last chance, because we've got SPOILERS here folks... ;)

OK. :) Given all the discussion in the spoiler thread about the possibility of an Angell/Danny/Lindsay love triangle, I figured it might be good to take discussion to a separate thread, lest all future spoilers get buried beneath a heated debate. So let's have that debate here (but please keep it friendly :) ).

The spoilers from episode 16, "Heart of Glass" have sparked a big debate on love triangles (which, admittedly, we don't know if this will end up being). I have to say, at first I rolled my eyes, but I'm kind of coming around to the idea. And I don't think it's a misstep on the writers' part--let's face it, love triangles get people talking. Remember how everyone's jaw dropped when in Friends Rachel was waiting at the airport to tell Ross how she felt about him and he got off the plane...with his new girlfriend, Julie? Or how everyone cheered when Jim and Pam kissed in The Office...only to have the next season open with Pam finally single...and Jim dating Karen? Love triangles get people talking.

CSI: NY isn't a sitcom, and I doubt the love triangle (again, if there is one) will be nearly as dominant as that. But will it get people talking? You bet (check out the spoiler thread ;) ). Will it get the attention of the media (like TV Guide, etc.)? Probably. And given that NY is about to face its toughest competition yet in Lost, that's not a bad thing at all.

There's also the matter of the show being sexed up this season. I've seen many adjectives applied to the Danny and Lindsay pairing, but sexy isn't one of them. Given that the moment between Danny and Angell in episode 16 is supposed to be sexually charged, that will be in direct opposition to Danny and Lindsay, whom I usually see referred to as cute.

I'm hoping Angell is a serious contender for Danny and not merely being used as a temporary roadblock for the Danny and Lindsay pairing, but aside from that, I say bring it on. Because I admit--I'm curious. :eek:

2. aftertherain

aftertherain Victim

Hmm. Angell/Messer/Monroe?

That should be pretty interesting. I can see where people are coming from when they ship Angell/Danny, and obviously Danny/Lindsay. I prefer D/L, but if Angell/Danny turns out to be the case, well, let's just hope it didn't begin from a "moment of weakness and the rest is history" kind-of thing.

AND it should not take away what the show's about. Soooooo yeah.

But I still say I can sorta see Hawkes/Angell.

I'll stop now.

3. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I would love Hawkes/Angell. The man deserves some loving after so long of being in the backburner.

Thanks to a reliable source, I'm afraid to say I'm more convinced than ever that Angell's being used as a crutch to push up the drama in the Danny/Lindsay situation. Based on the dialogue I've been handed, they seem to be turning Angell's character in a rather ... wussy / prissy one. She seems to be out-of-character for this sexually charged scene, but nobody will really know until the episode airs.

And Danny's phonecall to Lindsay after that sexually charged scene? Let's just say ... he says something that'll make one side very gleeful, and the other slap their foreheads in unison. Yeah. That's why I'm convinced there most likely won't be a Danny/Angell ship going canon.

I want Danny/Flack, damnit! :p Their chemistry makes television screens go up in flames. And the writers want high ratings, right? It's been there in their faces all the time. :devil:

4. Top41

Flack should just take out all of Danny's potential love interests so he's the last one standing. :lol:

I know Danny calls Lindsay after the sexually charged scene, but I would think even if they are moving towards a relationship between Danny and Angell that there would still be some closure on the Danny/Lindsay flirtation so that Danny doesn't look like the type to give it up for anyone. Maybe the phone call is meant to indicate that things with Lindsay aren't going anywhere and it's time for him to move on. Because it really is time for him to move on. :lol:

EDIT: As for the stuff with Angell, well, we haven't seen much of her to be able to judge her character on, and it seems like what happens between them catches them both off-guard. I'm hoping she doesn't end up as prissy or wussy or whatever--there's too much potential for the character to be cool. It would suck if she turned into Lindsay v. 2. I don't see that happening though.

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, I didn't read wussy/prissy in the dialogue, I read embarrassed/unsure. But like you say, we'll have to wait and see. In either case, I don't know that it's safe to call it out of character when we've seen so little of her and we don't know how the lines will be delivered.

The thing about the phone call also has a lot to do with delivery, and with the other scenes in the episode. To say it's good or bad depends on a lot of factors, none of which can be accurately gauged by reading once tiny scene from one episode when there are still so many to go before the end of the season.

Ultimately, I can see the network appeal of a love triangle, but at this point I'm sticking to my guns that we have no indication of one being there. And as for the Hawkes vs. Danny argument for Angell, I think that's a pretty strange one to make. They were both in the first episode with her, but that's not to say that she should be with either one of them. People also say that Flack needs a woman, where are the Flack/Angell supporters? :p Or Adam/Angell, he's a lab geek in need of a little bit of loving. ;)

In the end, these are just spoilers, and I don't want to be part of this same argument over and over again. I hadn't planned on posting in here at all, since I've said my opinion more than once in the spoiler thread already, but I had to come in to defend Angell in that scene. ;)

6. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

This actually pains me to say it, but should the episode air with Danny saying the exact words I was told was in the dialogue of the call ... nope, there's no way in hell the Danny/Lindsay thing is going out anytime soon.

7. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I didn't read wussy/prissy either. It was an unexpected thing that happened and Angell seemed a little embarrassed/surprised/unsure. I agree that we don't know if she's out of character or not. She wasn't too hesitant to tell Danny "Are you here to bust my balls or work Messer?" in People With Money so I'm wondering if she's developed a little crush on Danny somewhere in between ep 1 and ep 16. Of course, they work together in ep 13 too and there's a cute little scene with them too. Maybe it starts there.

Top, I believe you mentioned in the spoiler thread that this episode airs on February 14th? Is that a coincidence or was it planned?

I stand by my theory that Danny tries to call Lindsay in ep 15 too. I get the feeling that is not the first call he's made to her. Maybe he calls her more than once in ep 15 and 16. He has this "thing" with Angell and then later he tries to call her again. I think he will either try her again or move on with (possibly) Angell. Maybe the call (or calls) is the turning point for him. Maybe he asks Angell out at the end of this episode..maybe the next..or maybe we go into ep 17 and they've already went out and he's already stopped calling Lindsay.

Then when Lindsay gets back, she'll either be upset with it all or she will have already decided that she and Danny wouldn't be a good idea because they work so close together. Maybe she comes back and has an old boyfriend with her. Maybe she comes back and is ready to date Danny and he doesn't want her. Maybe they're both ready. I just hope if they pursue this thing with Danny/Angell, they don't use her to pose problems for Danny/Lindsay.

Yes Fay, right now all they are is spoilers. Things can change but they can also stay the same. We'll just have to wait and see.

ETA: Kimmy, you posted while I was typing. :p I don't read too much into that dialogue. Maybe they'll cut the last part of it out. Maybe they'll cut the whole scene. Maybe they'll leave it as is.

8. Top41

I do think you're probably right--which is why I think we're headed for a love triangle. Were this any other show, I'd think that Angell was definitely just going to be an obstacle to Danny and Lindsay eventually pairing off.

But...the CSI shows are weird. I keep thinking back to Warrick and Catherine--I was dead sure something was going to happen there, but then he got married and everything between the two was dropped. I was kind of like, WTF? :confused:

And the Delko/Natalia/Ryan love triangle seems to have disspated as well. That got played up big time last season in Miami, but seems to have fallen totally to the wayside now.

So I'm really not sure what's going to happen. Aside from Grissom and Sara, CSI shows are notoriously fickle with their pairings. It's actually more like real life than TV if you think about it--people move on in real life, whereas on TV, they end up in these long drawn out back-and-forths that would never actually happen in real life.

9. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^^Maybe they'll do the Danny/Angell/Lindsay thing different. After all, we do already have a canon couple on NY (Mac & Peyton). Having Emmanuelle being a recurring cast member could be a better choice because they wouldn't be together all the time.

I too was disappointed they dropped the Cath/Warrick stuff. Down the Drain was sizzling hot and then they just blew it off. I'm hoping NY will be different. They keep saying they want to focus more on character development. We'll see how that goes.

If a love triangle keeps DL apart, I say go for it. How long could they keep a love triangle up?

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Top, I was typing when you posted, so some of this might seem a bit redundant. :lol:

I've seen exactly what you've seen, Kimmy, and it's obviously open to interpretation at this point. ;) You see the scenes one way, and I don't see them exactly the same way. :p

Words are words until they come out of someone's mouth, and until I see that episode, with that scene, and that dialogue, and the rest of the scenes and dialogue from that episode, as well as the episodes before and after it, I'm not going to assume anything. All I assume is that Danny retains some feelings for Lindsay which, considering that he is supposed to have had feelings for her in the past, makes a lot more sense than for him to not feel anything at all. That doesn't say a whole lot to me, though, because I recall him asking her out and giving that whole 'chemistry' speech in episode 3, and here we are about to have episode 13 with no hint of their burgeoning love in between. Besides which, liking someone doesn't mean you're going to marry them and have all of their babies. And if we take the CSI series itself as precedent, it doesn't have to mean anything at all in the end.

Ultimately, I'm hoping we will see the end of the Danny/Lindsay mess, because I've watched what the writers have put out there and it hasn't put a tingle in my underpants yet. I support the characters having relationships, obviously, but that particular pairing does nothing for me. And all I see it do to the characters is make them overly-dramatic and, in Danny's case, often wildly out-of-character.

Edit: Posting at the same time, 1CSIMfan. :p I agree about the canon couple thing, as well as Angell being a recurring character versus a lead.

And I watched that episode of Vegas and liked the idea of Cath and Warrick and then nothing happened, so I wondered why they'd bothered. I guess they just change their minds sometimes, not unlike their original plan to have something between Mac and Jane on NY, which they changed after filming "Officer Blue."

11. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^^Also, don't forget the little conversation at the end of Oedipus Hex (which was ep 5) with Nixon Suicide. You could clearly see on Danny's face and by his reactions that he was seriously thinking about taking her up on her offer. Then when they all walked away, you can see him put his head in his hands. Clearly, he regretted not going out with her.

Like Fay said, we've seen nothing between Danny and Lindsay since Love Run Cold. He almost goes out in episode 5 and now he's thinking about moving on. Why did they push Danny and Lindsay so hard at the beginning of the season and then all of the sudden stop it?

12. Top41

^Part of the push then drop was probably Anna's pregnancy. She's hardly been in the show at all since that point in the season. But I do agree that not giving Danny and Lindsay any scenes/tension is telling. And it's possible they are moving away from the pairing, seeing how it's not exactly super hot by any means.

But, I also think there's a good chance my first post on this matter is correct, too:

So I'm still worried about Angell bringing out the baseball bat at some point down the road. :p I guess only time will tell.

I am curious as to how it will all play out. At the very least, it should be entertaining, and that's what TV is supposed to be, isn't it?

13. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

If Danny is phoning Lindsey right after he maybe tries it on with Angell, then both of them should be going for him with a baseball bat!

But have either of them shared a scene with Angell? I know that shippers can see chemistry where none appears to exist, but it usually helps to at least have the characters on the same screen together <g>

If TPTB do set up a love triangle, that thumping noise you hear from across the atlantic will be me banging my head against the wall. I hate hate hate it when a drama decides to go there. Let the soap operas stick to love triangles and more, CSI NY is better than that.

14. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

:lol: Me too. I see that too...

I don't mind Angell/Danny though since to me, it's kind of an obstacle made for D/L. Even though I think it's a waste of a beautiful girl like Emmanuelle.

But then again, we're not sure if there's actually going to be a love triangle now, do we?

15. Muzzy_Olorea

Muzzy_Olorea Lab Technician

Love triangles are never good. And I hope that if TPTB are determined to take it down that route that it's only a temporary one-off thing.

Having said that even though CSI:NY is a crime drama and not a soap it doesn't mean that love triangles won't raise their ugly head - Without A Trace is a crime show with the focus on the case rather than the Agents' lives but there was quite a prominent Love Triangle in that.

Oh well, as long as it doesn't ruin the excellent storylines they've had so far case-wise.