On Love Triangles (chock full of *MAJOR SPOILERS*)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I have to admit I kind of wondered why Danny would be attracted to Lindsay in the first place. She's never been that nice to him, she's pretty plain compared to the other women around, and she's either a sourpuss or insanely competitive much of the time.

It didn't make any sense at all until I thought about how Danny seems to crave the attention/approval of people who treat him poorly. Mac was mean to him or very hard on him throughout the first season, and Danny alternated between seeking his approval and defying him (to get attention?). Danny and Louie obviously had a complex relationship--Danny clearly looked up to his older brother, and carried around the hurt of Louie pushing him away for years.

When I thought about all of that , it made sense that Danny would be drawn to Lindsay. She's treated him pretty shitty for the most part (the notable exception being when she went to him with the DNA results in RSRD). First she seemed to chase him to get his attention and then when she had it, she pushed him away. Rather than telling him she's not interested/ready for a relationship, she stands him up, then gives him a lame excuse as to why, then makes him bring up their "chemistry" and ask her what's going on. Then, when he takes it remarkably well when she tells him about her issues, she walks away and doesn't look back when he tells her he's there for her. Nice, really nice. And then of course we have the note and the ignored phone call.

Lindsay's treated Danny downright horribly, and because he seems to expect that kind of behavior from the people he cares about, he's taken it. But I think Angell could be a breath of fresh air for him--someone who treats him well and (hopefully) isn't afraid to admit that she has feelings for him. I think ultimately this could be really, really good for Danny.

And, if it is a triangle, maybe Lindsay will realize she has to treat Danny better. If somewhere down the line she admits she treated him like shit, I might have a little more respect for her.

2. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

1CSIMfan Angell does appear in ep 14 and 15 from what I have seen. She works with Hawkes and Danny in ep 14 and Mac and Danny in ep 15.

I have a thought, this something happens in the middle of the season thing that some producer mentioned, could it be the moment between Danny/Angell that they are talking about. Because to them ep 16 would be in the middle somewhere

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^^That could be very interesting concering if/where they're going with Danny and Angell. Where did you find this out? I've looked everywhere. :confused:

4. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

^ ^ ^ ^
    The something happens mid season thing was mentioned in the
    TV guide back in September.

: Will Danny (Carmine Giovinazzo) and Lindsay (Anna Belknap) finally act on all that sexual tension? "It's always fun to play with that 'we know they like each other' thing," says executive producer Pam Veasey. "We're not going to satisfy that urge for people going 'Just kiss her!' yet, but something happens in the middle of the season.

When you think about it, it could refer to D/A she never actually said something happened between D/L, just that it had to do with them.

And if you are talking about the eps. I remember Angell being at the scene in the one she works with Hawkes and Danny. And in ep 15 I remember Danny mentioned Angell doing something with some evidence when he was talking to Mac.

And also good call on the ep titles, sometimes they do have double meanings.

HEART OF GLASS.

Once I had a love and it was a gas
    Soon turned out had a heart of glass
    Seemed like the real thing, only to find
    Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind
    Once I had a love and it was divine
    Soon found out I was losing my mind
    It seemed like the real thing but I was so blind
    Mucho mistrust, love's gone behind

So basically this could apply to D/L.

And 1CSIMfan your right both of the D/L centric episodes have sort have applied to their relationship so far, so maybe this applies to them as well. Maybe Danny cant take anymore of her not trusting him enough to tell him whats going on with her, its like she didn't trust him enough to face him before she left, and she cant even call him back. So maybe he is saying enough is enough. And he makes a decision to move on with Angell.

Also what is a heart of glass exactlly, I am clueless.lol

5. Top41

I assume a heart of glass would be one that breaks easily or is fragile. I assume it will relate to one of the cases in some way (they usually do), but if it relates to the characters, maybe something about Danny moving on from Lindsay? Being in a fragile place? Danny is kind of an interesting mix of strength and vulnerability--on one hand, he's been through a lot and is probably stronger because of it, but emotionally he's probably the most fragile character on the show. Danny is easily hurt or affected by the cases, his job, those around him, etc. Even with Angell--when he senses she's embarrassed, he immediately apologizes. So it could have to do with him, but I guess we won't know until we see the ep.

6. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

You know, I never thought about that. Danny/Angell could very well be the "mid season" thing that happens especially with her being in episodes 13-16.

From what I've seen, The flirting between Danny and Angell seems to start in episode 13. If things go as planned, we will get that "sexually intense" (or whatever I first called it) scene between Danny and Angell in episode 16. Then who knows what will happen from there.

I can only speculate that maybe when Lindsay returns, he'll be in a relationship with Angell or be torn as to what to do. It just seems too early in this show's career to pair two main cast members together. Too many things could go wrong.

A song by Blondie. :p That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the episode name. Seriously though, I agree with Top41 that it's a heart that is fragile or breaks easily.

7. Top41

It really does sound like they're going to start building things with Angell and Danny. I don't think four eps is too fast--it doesn't take that long to figure out you're attracted to someone. What's irritating is when it's episode after episode of so-called tension...and then nothing happens. When people have feelings for each other in real life, they act on them. It makes sense in shows with high school/college aged characters, but adults tend to act on attraction. Unless one of the characters is married or in another serious relationship, it doesn't make sense for two single people who are attracted to each other not to go along with the attraction and see where it takes them. I'm excited to see how things will progress with Danny and Angell.

8. detdonflackjr

detdonflackjr Rookie

Ugh..if they are going to have Danny/Angell as propping for D/L then great..if not then..im not happy about this. I miss season 2.

9. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

Thanks for the explanation guys.

CSIMfan You're right it is to early, to pair two main characters. Look at Sara/Grissom they waited six years for that one. I just don't like the way they seem to be doing this. I mean they must have a plan, why are they having Lindsay shutting him out. ie leaving him a letter, and presumably not taking his phone calls. Is this so Danny thinks she cant trust him so he moves on. Another thing I have been thinking about is why did Zuiker tie in the trial angle. This whole thing with Angell could have went down, with Lindsay out of town for what ever other reason, and she still could have shut him out and left a letter. I think there is something significant about this trial. Could it or something to do with it play a major part in another storyline further down the road. Also remembering back to ep 3, and Danny was supposed to be angry. I remember in my spoiler sources, that there was no dinner date, Lindsay/Danny did the questioning of that guy not Flack/Danny, and Lindsay didn't react to that guy that killed his girl friend at all. Also Lindsay was the one that asked Danny what was up, not the other way round as it aired in the episode. In other words what actually aired was very very different from what I first saw.

Is it possible that some of that episode was re shot maybe Zuiker decided to add different aspects to her secret after most of the D/L stuff was shot. I remember watching that episode and thinking it seemed choppy. It's like they had taken bits out and added bits. Remember that street scene where Danny was pleading for her to go to lunch with him, that really didn't fit the tone of the episode, it was like it was one of the original scenes that they left in but the reshot most of the other D/L stuff. Because in that street scene Anna didn't look pregnant, but in the basement scenes with Danny near the start of the ep, she looked very pregnant.(I know some of that ep was shot in early July on location, but i wouldn't have thought she would get that big in that little amount of time, because I think they shot ep 3 in late July) Also that ep did'nt air until October so they had plenty of time to re shoot. Also Pam Veasey gave that tv guide interview in September, so she knew that D/L didnt hook up in ep 3 I think Lindsay was always supposed to turn Danny down, maybe just the reason changed.

Also remembering back to how she reacted to the Stella/Frankie situation in All Access, could it have been the fact that Frankie acted so out of character and apparantly changed personalites overnight, that made Lindsay react the way she did. Could something similar have happened in her past, that could explain her reactions to that guy in Love Run Cold when he said he didn't mean to kill his girlfriend he was just so angry. Could there be a relationship gone bad issue tied to her secret some how, because that would in part explain her reluctance to get involved with Danny and her apparent trust issues especially with Danny.

Also I dont know about you guys, but I always thought this thing with Lindsay's secret was resolved. i.e the person responsible was in jail. But as we now know he wasn't, unless he is just appealing his sentence. So maybe she got phone call the night she was supposed to meet Danny saying the guy who killed her friends had been caught, or was appealing his sentence, that would sort of in a way put into context her behaviour towards Danny that night and her behaviour towards him since. (especially if there is a relationship gone bad issue tied to her secret) It could have been the trigger to her apparent PTSD and would also make sense in part her comment to him of " It was something I thought I put behind me"

And thats why I don't like the way the show are doing this, the whole trial thing and her standoffish behaviour towards Danny. IMO it would have looked better for D/A if Lindsay had of faced him before she left and kept in contact with him. I would hate to think the show are going to have him act on his attraction to Angell in part because Lindsay wont trust him and is shutting him out. And we all know Lindsay is going to come back with a valid excuse as to why she did that. Which could in turn change things between D/A. Also this trial thing gives her a very valid reason for not calling him back. Seeing as she is the only witness to the crime, could she be in like witness protection while the trial is on. As I said in the start of my post they could have had Danny move on with Angell no matter where Lindsay went when she was out of town. You have to start and wonder what this whole trial thing means to this storyline because she still could have shut him out and ignored him wherever she went. i.e vacation, therapy, or just a leave of absence because she needed to get away, in each instance she would be out of town. And this moment with Angell is only two episodes after the one Lindsay leaves surely they were thinking about pairing up D/A before they wrote ep 14 because they work together in 13 and if my memory serves my correctly they were meant to work with eachother in ep 12 also but for some reason she didn't end up appearing. IMO the trial is significant to this whole thing. It certainly gives us something to think about.

10. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

I hope they wouldn't do that either, that would be totally wrong by the writers.

And if they do keep her and Danny starts a relationship with her before Lindsey comes back. Lindsey better not give him any grief, she would have no one to blame but herself.

I love Danny/Lindsey their chemistry, but Danny can only take so much before he's going to have to let go of Lindsey. And I'm going to totally hate that. :(

11. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

^ ^
    I don't think TPTB would write Lindsay as trying to cause trouble for D/A. I think once Lindsay knows D/A are an item she will keep her mouth shut. As much as some people don't like Lindsay, I personally don't think she is the type of character that would do that. Also I think that would be too soapy for CSI.

So in turn what I am saying is I don't think Lindsay will go to Danny when she returns saying she is ready to move on and ready to tell him about her past if she knows he is with Angell. Actually I think she would probably keep as far away from him as possible. I think Danny will find out some other way, or the show put them in a situation where she has to tell him, in other words she will be forced to tell him.

12. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I'm sure lots of things change from the original draft to the actual shooting of the episodes. Looks like there's major changes. I think you're right paigeS, TPTB must have changed their minds after the season began. I was a little shocked to see Danny going after Lindsay because all through season 2, it looked like she had the crush on him.

I'm sure they went crazy trying to figure out what to do with Lindsay's past. I'd bet that Danny must resemble (not looks but personality) someone that had something to do with those murders and like you said, must have changed overnight. It says she has trust issues, so it seems it was someone close (a boyfriend perhaps).

I was surprised that the reason she's going back to Montana is to testify. You'd think that it had already been resolved. I guess it could be a death sentence appeal or maybe they just found the person who did the murders. I'm anxious to see who did it and how she survived.

I guess Lindsay shut Danny out because she didn't want him worrying about her or trying to be there for her when she clearly wants to be alone. He told her he'd be there for her in LRC and she just kept walking away like she didn't hear him.

I think all of this is a lead in to introduce something with Danny/Angell. Maybe something is said between Danny and Lindsay at the beginning of episode 13 and things start to change and when she only leaves him a note, that's not making things better. She already shut him down and now she's just making it worse. If they leave the phone call in (maybe there's more) and she's not talking to him, he'll eventually tire of it and give up.

I don't think Lindsay would do that. She might be upset about it but she'll realize that she pushed him away and she didn't give him an ounce of hope they'd be together. All she did was tell him that she liked him a lot. This might be mean but since she stood him up and didn't tell him why, I'd love it if he didn't give her a reason for dating Angell (if that's the way it goes). He really doesn't owe her an explanation.

I think she would to a point. If they are assigned a case together, I think she would be professional about it and do her job. Even after she shut him down in LRC, they still got along on the job. I just wonder how many cases they will work together after she gets back.

13. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

^ ^
    I wonder if she says in that note, she cant tell him where she is going and not to contact her. Because in ep 14 she says to Hawkes when he tells her she should tell him or at least call him "its better this way". Maybe she thinks Danny would ask to many questions and she isn't ready to tell him yet. I also have to wonder how good a witness Lindsay would be at that trial. It seems to me at least she doesn't really remember much about what happened. Honestly I don't think we will see Danny and Lindsay interact until Lindsay returns from Montana and if they do, I think we would only see her push him away further. As TOP41 mentioned in the spoiler thread a while back, it is certainly more realistic for Danny to not sit around pining for her, when she has basically shut him out. And if you are attracted to someone that obviously is attracted to you I say go for it. But I hope the show have him act on his attraction for the right reasons, not because Lindsay is shutting him out and rejecting him. Hence my quote in my previous message to me it would have been better IMO for the whole D/A thing if the show had, had her at least tell him to his face where she was going and why instead of shutting him out and ignoring him. Also I think I worked out the shows reasons for having that phone call in the next lot of scenes Danny appears in after his moment with Angell. To me it comes of looking like something about his moment with Angell made him think of Lindsay, and thats why I think that scene will stay where it is. Its meant to cause a reaction of some type. Maybe this is the final straw for Danny because she doesn't answer the phone or she doesn't call him back, and he asks Angell out at the end of the episode.

I still question them adding the trial aspect because there was never any hint this thing hadn't been resolved, I always thought the guy was in jail or had shot himself. I mean it could be a way of giving the character closure, but then to me that seems to easy. Would they really have Lindsay come back as if nothing has happened. I know they acted as if nothing had happened to Flack after the bombing apart from a mention of him having been in rehab. But Zuiker wrote this storyline himself and we all know how he loves to drag things out i.e Tanglewood. Also I think I remember reading on this board somewhere that her secret would be brought up again before the end of the season. So I wonder how they are going to do that. Also I wonder if any of the other characters know where she is gone.(well except for Mac, because it pretty much a certainty he will know.) And if the do, do they know Lindsay's connection to the trial. By that I mean do they know she was personally involved or whether they know the specifics of it. Because I am sure if they know, we would know also. And honestly I dont think we will get the specifics until Anna returns from maternity leave. And that leads me back to Danny. It possible I suppose that he does know where Lindsay is, though that phone message he leaves didn't suggest that to me. He explains his reason for calling. He doesn't make mention of the trial, its like he doesn't know what to say to her because he doesn't know whats going on. And thats what I mean when I say, I hope the show have him act on his attraction to Angell for the right reasons. Not just because he gives up because he thinks she doesnt trust him. Because that to me means he still has feelings for her, feelings that are still going to be there no matter how hard he tries to forget. And what happens when he finds out why she couldn't trust him. How could that effect D/A

Also I still cant help but feel they are rushing this whole Danny/Angell thing. I mean I know in real life you act on an attraction. But the whole thing could come off looking contrived to viewers. I mean having them work together 4 episodes in a row, its pretty obvious what they are trying to set up. Also I hope they dont have him act on his attraction in the very same episode he calls Lindsay, because that could come off looking like it's a sexual thing specially given the conversation they were having before this unexpected moment occurs and could definatly come off looking like it's Lindsay's rejection of him that makes him act on his attraction. I personally dont think it was something the show just decided on. Reading Pam Veaseys comment, it certainly looks like it was something they always planned, it has to be the something they were talking about, it makes sense. Its like she is saying no they aren't going to hook up yet, but something does happen that effects them in the middle of the season. And ep 16 to her would be in the Middle somewhere. And if you read my theory below it's possible this moment between D/A may have originally been meant to occur a couple of episodes before 16.

Also does anyone else think maybe Lindsay was originally meant to leave in ep 12 or 13. Because I remember reading a recent interview with Anna where she mentions they had been really busy because of the lack of repeats. Do you think she may have been able to stay an extra ep or 2 because of this. That could explain in part why Angell didn't end up appearing in ep 12,and why she didn't end up going to Mac in ep 12.

14. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

I have to agree with you both on this. Lindsay has so far been the only one who has had choices in this matter :rolleyes: She agreed to go on that date and later decided not to show up, she decided not to give Danny a reason why she stood him up, she decided to put their 'relationship' on hold and finally she decided to not tell him (assuming it's not on the card) where she went and why.

So if he finally decides to move on, she really has no right to ask for any explanation (and I don't think she will). But I do hope she'll do all she can to win him back, regain his trust and give them a second chance. :p ;)

The phone call will most likely stay in, because it's a good way to keep Lindsay 'around' while Anna's on maternity leave.

That could've very well been that mid season 'thing' between D/L. When they realised Anna was going to be there for a few extra episodes they probably changed a few things.

15. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

You have a point there, dutch. She didn't give him much choice to reply or do something more than beg her to at least let him know if she needed something. That's a lot more than anyone in real life would do.

I have to agree with that either. Each character will probably ask about her or mention her so people won't forget. :)