On Love Triangles (chock full of *MAJOR SPOILERS*)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jan 8, 2007.

1. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

TOP41 It seems they are following the age old TV formula here, and your right, if they want to prolong this it cant come from Lindsay's side if she couldn't get involved with Danny she cant come back involved with someone else, it wouldn't make sense at all. Its pretty obvious they don't want to tank the storyline so they have to make it from Danny's side, its the only way it could make sense.

I just don't like how the show seem to be keeping Danny in the dark about this whole secret and trial thing. I would have thought if he knew where Lindsay was, he would have made some reference to the trial in in that phone message he leaves. I cant help but think this whole secret thing is going to come into play somewhere down the track later this season maybe or early next. And I think its going to effect any possible D/A relationship and not in a good way.

I just think this whole thing is way to rushed.(unexpected and surprising) I mean we know Danny knows her on a professional level but does he really know her on a personal level. Are they going to use this later on down the track. That he rushed into it too quickly, like he didn't spend the time getting to know her, just acted on his attraction. They could have shown that Danny had moved on while Lindsay was still around, why wait until she is out of town. Had some sort of build up to D/A shown some sort of attraction before Lindsay left town. And that phone message, why does it have to be after Danny's moment with Angell why not before. It cant be guilt unless something happened between D/L before Lindsay left and I cant see the show doing that, that would mean Lindsay's trust issues would be justified, plus I cant see the show making Danny a cheater. I also dont think Lindsay would ask Danny to wait for her in that letter that wouldn't make any sense at all. So what are they trying to show us. The only thing I can think of is it's their way of showing us that Lindsay not returning his calls or rejecting him may cause him to act on his attraction to Angell. What ever way you look at it, that cant be a good thing.

Also does anyone think its mere coincedence they casted someone that looked so much like Aiden. If they tie that factor into it, you will be hearing the sound of breaking glass , that would be me throwing something through my tv set. lol

2. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Doesn't Hawkes know as well? Since this thread says "major spoilers", I am delving into other episodes.

In episode 14, when Lindsay leaves the letter for Danny, Hawkes is there. He knows she's leaving but I have a feeling Danny doesn't know anything (although I'd think they would all know since she's going to testify at a trial but she's probably keeping all of that from Danny).

Lindsay's made it very clear she only wants to work with him right now. Maybe he's just letting her be. Hawkes doesn't agree with the way she leaves. I don't see how Mac couldn't know and Stella probably knows too (Lindsay did confide in Stella in Silent Night and we don't know what all she told her that we didn't see.) Mac confides in Stella (she was the first person he told about Aiden tampering with evidence).

No matter what their feelings are, Danny and Lindsay are co-workers. They have worked together for over a year. Why should that phone call be so surprising? If she left without telling him, he's probably called her more than once and he did tell her he'd be there for her if she wanted to talk. That usually means leaving her alone and letting her initiate the conversation.

Who knows if they'll keep those scenes in the episode. Who knows what they will change, add, or delete. Also, who knows if they will switch the two around. Maybe Danny calls Lindsay before the scene with Angell.

I too don't want to see Angell used as the sole purpose of driving a wedge between Danny and Lindsay. From my spoiler sources, it looks to me like they are building up this Danny/Angell thing. They work together in episode 13 (which we should have seen tomorrow night :mad:) and they have at least one cute scene that I know of (if it stays in there).

It's fun to speculate but it sure can drive a person crazy.

ETA: I just noticed the end of your post PaigeS. I never even thought about Angell looking like Aiden until I saw it mentioned on here and I still don't think that's the case (or see the connection). They may both have long, dark hair but Angell is nothing like Aiden. Danny and Aiden worked great together and I never thought of them as anything more than good friends and co-workers. In Heroes he mentioned she was going to cook dinner for him so it was obvious they remained friends after she left.

3. CynRyn

CynRyn Witness

Well I don't believe that he called out of guilt. Judging from my personal experience, his "moment" with Angell might have reminded him of how he felt about Lindsay. I'm sure many of u have had an experience where an attraction for someone reminded you of another you cared about because you unwillingly started comparing them. Perhaps his flirtation with Angell didn't feel the same to him as it did with Lindsay and he wants a "Lindsay" reaction and not an "Angell" reaction? I agree with everyone though that there really isn't any reason to feel guilty as nothing has ever actually happened between Lindsay and Danny other than a little flirtation and an admittal of interest. That a relationship does not make. *Yoda moment* :rolleyes:

4. Speedslady

Speedslady Police Officer

Not sure what to think of all of this. I really like the whole Lindsey and Danny relationship (and I'm not big on shipping with the exception of Horatio and Yelina on CSIM).

But getting back to the point, maybe it's not what it sounds like, Danny is really into Lindsey so I think he'll give her the opportunity to tell him about her past.

Perhaps Angell and him are only close friends but the writers making it appear to be more.

I guess we wil just have to wait and see.

5. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I don't think Danny has any reason to feel guilty, but that doesn't mean he won't. Logic and emotions rarely go hand in hand. From what we've seen of Danny, he tends to be overly emotional anyway, so it doesn't surprise me that he'd feel a little guilty (Lindsay did tell him she liked him) and that his growing attraction to Angell might freak him out a bit and make him try to cling to Lindsay.

But, the fact is, Lindsay's treated him pretty poorly this season. She stood him up in LRC. Then she snaps at him in "Oedipus Hex" and gets him to take on an unpleasant task (with no thanks). And then she's not going to even have the courtesy or the maturity to say goodbye to him or tell him what's going on (at least the basics if nothing else). And now she's ignoring his phone call. All of this adds up to major set up: the writers are making it very, very clear that Danny owes Lindsay nothing.

Danny has a history of clinging to people who don't treat him especially well--his brother, Mac and now Lindsay. Angell could be a change of pace in that, and I think that would be positive for Danny's character. As for Lindsay, she'll either come back and be upset that she lost her chance (in which case, this is just drawing out the D/L storyline) or she'll come back and not really care, in which case, the D/L stuff will be a thing of the past.

I have to agree with CynRyn on the friendships--I'd love to see more of those and a little less romance. Though I do think Danny and Flack's friendship is well-established, and we've seen some nice moments between Danny and Hawkes--"Raising Shane" but also the scene in the locker room in "Mrs. Azrael" when Danny asks Hawkes what's wrong and Hawkes confides in him. We've also seen some great banter and comfort between Stella and Flack in the past. I do agree that Mac and Stella's friendship has fallen by the wayside a bit, as has the great mentor relationship Mac and Danny had in earlier seasons.

6. Speedslady

I saw that ep tonight "Oedipus Hex" and I know what you mean about the ending. But he looked back he wants to be with Lindsey but she keeps pushing him away. I feel for the guy he's really into her and wants a chance with her, but she keeps pushing him away. I really hope the phone call between them is a really good one and that it makes Lindsey think about A) her feelings for him. B) about letting someone who loves you in.

I really hope that she takes that chance. I like the chemisty between these two.

7. paigeS

paigeS Dead on Arrival

Thanks 1CSIMfan I never saw season 1 so I wasn't quite sure of Danny and Aiden's relationship. I just assumed there was more to it, judging by his reaction in HERO'S

I too have seen the spoilers for the episode that Lindsay goes away in, is it possible that Hawkes doesn't know where Lindsay is going either. Mabye he just thinks she is taking a leave of absence. Maybe only Mac knows. And could it be possible she asked Mac not to mention it to the rest of the team.

I don't mind the idea of Danny/Angell, but I just can't forget how relationships on these types of shows have been handled before. History tells me that it wont last. I see this the working the same way as the Mac/Peyton storyline, to me that storyline is more about Mac, his troubles with having a relationship with someone you work with, his stuggles with trying to get over the death of his wife, its like Peyton is only there to add dramatic effect. She is a prop per se. And I see the same thing happening here with Danny/Angell. Tv shows never put any two people in a relationship without a reason, especially these types of shows. And nine times out of ten it never ends well.

Because even though Danny/Angell may have lots of cute moments, from what I have seen it's not until ep 16 that they realise they are attracted to one another. It does say an unexpected moment, to me that translates to they have never looked at each other in that way before this moment. Also Lindsay was shutting Danny out way before that phone call, if the angle the show were going for was that Danny didn't owe her anything why not have him move on before now.(ie take up Nixon Suicide on her offer or have this unexpected moment happen with Angell while Lindsay was still around) Why wait until she's out of town. Are they trying to tell us he was waiting around for Lindsay. And if that is what they are trying to show us, that to me translates that he does have feelings for her, ones that are not just going to go away because he starts something with Angell. Even though her not returning his phone calls might cause him to give up on her, he cant just turn his feelings off and on like a light switch. Also I dont think that phone call was meant to come of as a co-worker thing either. Maybe it was a last ditched effort on Danny's part for some kind of sign from her, maybe he is hoping she calls him back. As I said it seems like the show are trying to establish this D/A thing quickly, before Lindsay returns, and i have to ask myself why. I cant help but think this whole triangle thing plays a big part in a major storyline later in the season.

As I said these are only my opinions, I could be completely wrong. Its sure fun to speculate.

8. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

Do we actually 'know' she's not gonna return his call. Maybe she will get back to him in #17. So far I've only heard spoilers about him calling her and when she's not answering he leaves a message. And just in Lindsay's defence the reason that she does not answer her phone can be a lot of things. She goes back to Montana to testify so perhaps she was in the court room at the time he called or in another emotional situation. And if that's true there's a good chance she calls him back after she hears his message.

Whether she does or does not call him back can perhaps tell us something about where the writers are heading with this.

If she calls him back we'll at least know that she's not completely ignoring his feelings (and her own) and Danny will be assured that she's still worth waiting for.

But if she doesn't call him back, added to the fact that she left him only with a card, can convince him that he's probably waisting his time and needs to move on. In which case the whole love triangle can start once Lindsay returns and regretfully realises she has hurt his feelings to many times.

But that too is just speculation on my part.

9. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

All we know is that he calls her and leaves a message. I have a feeling that she doesn't return his call or (if he makes anymore) any others. I don't think she'll talk to him until her business in Montana is finished and I wonder if she'll even listen to his message. :confused:

I'm not a DL fan but even if I were, I'd be pissed at Lindsay right now. She's really not been treating Danny very nice. Standing him up, not explaining, brushing him off for lunch, telling him she can't be with him, leaving without saying goodbye, etc.

The poor guy doesn't deserve to be treated that way. If he can be happy with someone else, then he should go for it. Danny and Lindsay have never declared their love for each other. The most we got was "I like you a lot" and that was Lindsay, not Danny.

The fact that she didn't tell him bye and only left him a card makes me think that TPTB either don't know what direction to take DL or they're just gonna drag out this DL stuff for as long as they can or maybe they're moving away from DL.

As for Danny/Angell, (as I mentioned earlier) they do work together in episode 13 and they have a cute scene so who knows what other scenes they have. Also, I'm not sure yet if Angell is in ep 14 or 15. I haven't seen anything that says she is but I know that Flack is working with Stella and Hawkes and Danny is working with Mac in ep 14. Maybe they'll be working with Angell. I know she's recurring but with Lindsay gone, they may want another female on the show.

10. dutch_treat

dutch_treat CSI Level Two

^ Well, I am a huge D/L fan and I'm not pissed at Lindsay yet (it depends on what's on the card -if we ever find out-); I think she has a lot of issues she needs to deal with first, but I do agree that she has not been treating him the way he deserves and that's why I said that if she's not going to react to his message I can understand that he's going to look for other 'options'.

I do hope for Emannuelle/Angell's sake that she's not just there to add a female role to the show or be a way to drag out a 'love' story.

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I hope so too, but at the same time Angell is just a recurring character at this point, so if they increase her scenes while Anna is gone, that wouldn't be bad in and of itself. Just being used for a romantic storyline, however, would suck.

This isn't the first time this has been mentioned, but I thought I'd bring it up. ;)

The thing about these shows is that they have a tendency to ignore things until they want to use them (Louie, anyone?). So I'm not surprised that they wouldn't bring up the D/A thing before, if that's indeed what they're going for with these spoilers. In season 1, there was a bit of a moment between Mac and Jane in "Officer Blue," but according to the commentary for that episode on the DVDs, they decided against that storyline. So maybe they've been toying with the idea of D/A but didn't want to use it until they were sure. Or maybe they didn't bother putting it in before these upcoming episodes because it wouldn't be significant until then. *shrug*

The D/L thing just proves what I mean about them leaving stuff out of the show until it's relevant. After episode 3, when Lindsay said that they should just 'do their jobs,' there hasn't been anything to indicate deeper feelings between them that I have seen. The writers stuck it on a back shelf rather than doing anything with it in the meantime. If a viewer started watching the show with "Hung Out to Dry," and didn't know about the storylines before that episode, then they probably wouldn't have a clue what's going on when Lindsay leaves Danny a note and Sheldon tells her that she should talk to him, etc.

The stuff last season, the sudden backing off this season, her leaving him a note, who-knows what happens when she gets back--it all just reeks of being badly planned as far as I'm concerned. Anna's pregnancy might have changed some of what they'd intended for this season, but it shouldn't have put such a major wrench in the gears. Limited screentime doesn't mean the character can't have a presence--Hammerback and Adam are proof of that. So ignoring the fact that Anna had limited scenes for that reason, the whole situation is still really awkward from what I see.

In the end, I'm not surprised that they've waited until now to do anything with Angell and Danny, even if they intended that from the beginning. Of course, it's possible that they only decided to do something with them more recently, after seeing the chemistry between the characters in the few episodes they've done together. I have to say, after the way they pushed D/L without letting things develop on the show first, I'd be glad to know that they didn't rush into anything with D/A.

(I'm not sure whether any of that even made sense. :lol:)

Hmm, you make a good point. That scene in episode 13 might be flirty when we watch the episode. It's all down to how the characters deliver the lines. ;) If that's the case, then maybe the writers aren't waiting until Lindsay leaves, or at least not totally. :p

12. Speedslady

As I learned from Monday's episode of CSIM title (Internal Affairs) mean nothing so I'm going to set back and just see how it all unfolds.

13. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

^^Are you saying that the NY episode titles don't have some sort of meaning about the episode? :confused:

ep 2 - Not What it Looks Like had the "hug" scene at the end which got some fans excited about a possible DL relationship but we found out in episode three that it indeed was "Not What it Looks Like".
    ep 3 - Love Run Cold - Lindsay stood Danny up and didn't want a relationship
    ep 4 - Hung Out to Dry - Lindsay moved on just doing her job

IMO, the episode titles not only stand for the cases but sometimes for the characters themselves.

As for Internal Affairs, Valera was dating Nick (Natalia's ex) and then we found out that Natalia was still sleeping with Nick. When Nick was found murdered, Valera and Natalia were both detained and questioned about it. Horatio's team wasn't allowed to work the case, the nightshift worked it. Even though Delko hovered over their every move. That sounds like "Internal Affairs" to me.

ETA: As for ep 16 - Heart of Glass - it could have lots of meanings.

~Danny's heart getting broken, Lindsay's heart getting broken, and/or Angell's heart getting broken.
    ~Angell being embarrassed by Danny and he's concerned about her.
    ~Danny having a change of heart about Lindsay
    ~Danny being upset that Lindsay left without telling him and she's avoiding his phone calls.

I'm betting on the first option but I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :p

14. Speedslady

Actually no I'm just saying that it's a possibility.

I totally agree with every point, I'm a think out of the box sort of chickie! :D

15. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

The chorus to Heart of Glass by Blondie:

In between
    What I find is pleasing and I'm feeling fine
    Love is so confusing there's no peace of mind
    If I fear I'm losing you it's just no good
    You teasing like you do

Sounds apropos, doesn't it?

Anyways, back on topic - I am also one of those who, although I love Angell's character for being quietly smart and sassy, I hope she's not just there for kicks. If Danny leads her on then drops her as soon as Lindsay comes back, then that makes him no better than Lindsay and perhaps they deserve each other.

But, also, what is he to do? A good-looking, available, employed man pining away for a woman who is spurning him? Doesn't fit. I hope when Lindsay comes back she finds that he is long moved on and has to deal with her unreciprocated feelings. If I toyed with a guy that way, it would make me at best a tease.