May sorrow everlast - an Aiden-corner

I'm rather fascinated by this discussion...

Everyone appears to think it would be horrible if Aiden became one of Pratt's victims. (OK, I'd rather not have her come back that way either). But everyone seems to think her killing Pratt would be good.

Correct me if my perception is wrong here, but...

You would rather Aiden kill a man in cold blood than be a rape victim? Why? Do you that would be better for Aiden's character? Or do you just think it's better drama?

Detective_Burn said:

Hi, did you already sign our Aiden petition?

Nope.I've tried looking for it but I couldn't find it.Can you be kind enough to give me the link?

I would prefer if Aiden kill that Pratt guy than getting rape.After all,he is one of the reason Aiden was fired.

cfar said: I'm rather fascinated by this discussion...
(...)
Do you that would be better for Aiden's character? Or do you just think it's better drama?

Forgive me, but please don´t make fun of us!!

I really can´t see what´s so interesting? Honestly, Aiden is so strong. She´s a fighter. Don´t tell me she would be easy prey!! NEVER EVER!
Apart from this: I´m against cold-blooded murder, too. That might rather harm Aidens character even more.

That´s why I´m back at hostage-Aiden. My idea is Aiden guns Pratt down in "Notwehr". Sorry don´t know the English word.

Finally, the petition-link again.
= Bring Aiden back
-> The link leads to Bring Back Burn thread.
-> Scroll down there to awesomepossums last post.
Pleas do sign all 3 lists!

cfar said:

Everyone appears to think it would be horrible if Aiden became one of Pratt's victims. (OK, I'd rather not have her come back that way either). But everyone seems to think her killing Pratt would be good.

You would rather Aiden kill a man in cold blood than be a rape victim? Why? Do you that would be better for Aiden's character? Or do you just think it's better drama?

Well, generally it's probably better to kill a rapist than end up being one of his victims. At least, I'd think so.

Better drama? Do I think it's more interesting for us to see yet another woman victimized (because we've never seen that before ) or do I think it's more interesting to see someone get so obsessed with a case that she becomes a vigilante of sorts? I think the latter would make for better drama--it's more original and would give us as an audience a hell of a lot more to debate.

TO CSINY FANS IN THE STATES

THE DNA SHIPPER OF THIS WEBSITE POSTED THAT ON MAY 10 AIDEN IS COMMING BACK!!!! (THE DESCRIPTION SAYS GUEST APPERANCE BUT TO ME IT'S NONSENSE TO ADRESS HER LIKE THAT)

THANK YOU AGAIN, ELLA J FOR POSTING THE SPOILER TODAY!!!!

THE COUNTDOWN IS ON!!!!!!!

MAY 10 AND TELL EVERYONE TO WATCH

Top41 said:
cfar said:

Well, generally it's probably better to kill a rapist than end up being one of his victims. At least, I'd think so.

Better drama? Do I think it's more interesting for us to see yet another woman victimized (because we've never seen that before ) or do I think it's more interesting to see someone get so obsessed with a case that she becomes a vigilante of sorts? I think the latter would make for better drama--it's more original and would give us as an audience a hell of a lot more to debate.

My fear is that the writers will take the easy option. It'd be easy, (from a creative point of view) to write her in as a rape victim and have the CSI team save her or catch Pratt or whatever and have Aiden all grateful and get on marvellously with Lindsey etc etc. Sparkles and magic.

What I want is for Aiden to come back with the same power as when she left. No, she's not a CSI, but I know whatever she is doing, she's doing it well. I don't want to see her be a victim. I'd rather they bring her in as an expert, because she knows Pratt so well. I don't want to see her kill him - fantastic drama, crap storyline. It'd be far better to have her smile at him as they dragged him off to "sing sing" and he wasn't coming back out.
I'd like Aiden to kick up some dust, cause a little discomfort in the lab. I'd love to see her go at it with Lindsey. I'd like to see her rag on Danny, or work with Flack. Not because I'm being evil and want to cause trouble, it just seems more realistic to me.

^Thank you! Same here. Turning her into a victim is the cop out...like you say, it's the easy option, and it's the lazy one. It just ups the stakes on getting Pratt, and the stakes are already pretty high since Aiden was fired over the case involving him.

I'd love to see her smiling as he gets arrested, too. It would be great closure for the character.

Personally, I would like to see her help catch him and send him to prison.

Top41 said:

See, this is what I find so interesting, especially since the situation presented wasn't killing him to protect herself or whatever but shooting an unarmed man in cold blood.

It seems, and again correct me if I'm wrong, that people think that having her be a rape victim would be portraying her as weak, but having her be a murderer would show that she is strong. Rape doesn't say anything about the character or strength of the victim; it says something about the rapist. Being raped wouldn't mean that Aiden was weak; being a murderer would.

cfar said:
See, this is what I find so interesting, especially since the situation presented wasn't killing him to protect herself or whatever but shooting an unarmed man in cold blood.

Well, an unarmed man who is a multiple rapist and oh yes, a murderer. Some might say she's doing society a favor. ;) Certainly the next person he'd be targeting otherwise would probably say so.

It seems, and again correct me if I'm wrong, that people think that having her be a rape victim would be portraying her as weak, but having her be a murderer would show that she is strong. Rape doesn't say anything about the character or strength of the victim; it says something about the rapist. Being raped wouldn't mean that Aiden was weak; being a murderer would.

No, being a rape victim doesn't make her weak. My objection is with the storyline, the victimization of yet another woman. Rape gets used as a device against women in television--it's an easy thing writers fall back on to make their women characters suffer. I'd rather not see it happen to Aiden because I think it's lazy storytelling, especially on the heels of what's going to happen to Stella in the next episode.

cfar said:

I don't think it is a matter of simple good or bad, better or worse, we are after all talking about rape and murder, albeit the murder of a serial rapists who will only be stopped when he dies. Pratt is evil and his death benefits society, having him erased from the face of the earth is no loss and I would in fact declare it a victory no matter how it happened. We are talking about a man that systematically seeks out to destroy women, he puts a blight on their souls, and the damage done is almost equal to murder. Turning Aiden into a vigilante on the other hand is a brilliant dramatic turn, you don't often see women in that role. "Supermen" showed us a vigilante (Clark), although one that did not resort to murder, but the criminals he pursued were not serial rapists, did we condemn his actions, or does degree matter?

Victimizing Aiden, which is different that portraying the character as a victim, is simply too easy and a common device on television, there is nothing new there, nothing to mine and hardly holds shock value. Rape is too often used against women on television as a way to inject immediate fear and reduce powerful women to tears, it is a way to subjugate women on the small screen a way to tame the empowerd woman.

You seem rather keen on Aiden being the victim of a rape, is that why you are so taken aback by the idea of everyone championing her as a vigilante? What point would it serve to have Aiden raped, to have an act so violent and heinous committed against her, an act that in your mind is better than her killing one of the dregs of humanity. Do we need to see another woman wounded on television, another woman healing from suffering a power trip of a sexual nature? I say no, but I would love to see someone of Aiden's strength and coniviction deal with the aftermath of her actions, deal with the escalation of her desperate need to find justice for a woman victimized not once but twice by the same man. Aiden letting herself become a vigilante follows the pattern of seeing that which she believed in most, science, fail when its success mattered most, but perhaps justice is not out of reach.

Ali

Maybe it´s little off-topic. But please just accept rapist
-victims are indeed weak, insecure characters. That´s just what rapists are looking for.
It´s a fact rapists don´t attack strong women, because they don´t spread the fear they´re chasing for actually.

That is a very dangerous assumption. Strong women have just as much risk of being raped as weak women. And what are you basing your jugdement of strong and weak on? Physical strength, emotional strength, or both? There is nothing to accept. Any woman can become a victim. It is not because she was "weak" as you put it.

While I will aggree that it is possible that a woman can appear more vunerable in a situation and this might make her a slightly more appealing target this does not mean a rapist will choose her over someone else who might appear less vunerable. Nor does her being physically, emotionally, and mentally strong mean that she is impervious to attack.

Imzadi83 said:That is a very dangerous assumption. Strong women have just as much risk of being raped as weak women. And what are you basing your jugdement of strong and weak on? Physical strength, emotional strength, or both? There is nothing to accept. Any woman can become a victim. It is not because she was "weak" as you put it.

I mean both. Of course self-conscious acting doesn´t mean 100% protection. Yet esperiments show self-conscious behaviour can reduce probability of rape.

Anyway, I don´t say Pratt should not attack Aiden. I just say she would defend herself to last drop of blood.

Yes you are right that being observant and cautious can reduce one's chances of becoming a victim. But regardless it is never right to blame the victim if they are unable to defend themselves. By doing that you would in a sense be giving the attacker grounds one which to say his actions were acceptable.

Yes I believe Aiden would fight back as well. Personally I would rather continue to fight and risk the attacker killing me then not fight back. But that is an individual decision that the victim has to make in that moment. I would never fault someone either way.

Detective_Burn said:
cfar said: I'm rather fascinated by this discussion...
(...)
Do you that would be better for Aiden's character? Or do you just think it's better drama?

Forgive me, but please don´t make fun of us!!

I'm sorry, I missed this when it was first posted. I honestly am not trying to make fun of anyone. I'm very sorry if it came across that way. I was just interested in the reasons why people were so OK with her becoming a killer. Why that was portrayed as an acceptable story line and Pratt attacking her was universally condemned. I just wanted to know if people were talking about what they thought would be a good storyline based on drama or on they thought would be better for the character.

For the record, I'd rather she not come back as a rape victim. I agree that it would be a cheap way of bringing her in. Also, it wouldn't really follow what we know of Pratt so far, so it would seem contrived.

I'd like to hear that Aiden has gotten a new start somewhere and has moved on. I would hate for her to be portrayed as obsessing over this case for the last however many months. I'd like her return to provide some closure for her character and the audience, not make me feel sorry for her or lose respect for her.

Back