'Just a bunch of hosers, eh!' ~ Canadian Thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course! Keep in mind, I don't make the rules here- I'm just trying to make suggestions so the Mods don't come in again. Just tryin' to be helpful! :)

Hmm, maybe I have something...

So, how do you guys feel about the fact that Canada will be hosting so many major sporting event for the next few years. Vancouver will be hosting the 2010 winter olympics along with the U19 FIBA world championship next year and we will be co-hosting the U17(??) Fifa soccer/football world championship with other Canadian provinces in 2007. I'm sure there are more events that I'm missing but do you guys feel this is a positive or negative thing for us Canadians? Tourist wise it's wonderful and maybe even economy wise too. I say bring 'em on!

i think it's a great idea because canada has always been the back seat of the usa, every thing takes place in the us and the only time the movie industry comes to canada is for toronto, it's never places like edmonton or bc and we have alot of good places in edmonton, we have the biggest mall in the world so that would be a good place for like matt dammon to be chases in :D and we have the big boot just down the road of my house, i bet one of the waynes brothers would make a movie like they are escaped criminals so they need to hide out in the boot (i dont like the waynes brothers), so things like sporting evets would put canada on the map.

I'm super excited that we got the Olympics in 2010. I really hope that I can go see some events, but I'm sure it'll be difficult, and who knows what I'll be doing by then, as far as life goes.

That's cool that we got the U17 FIFA championships, too, I didn't know that. I'm curious, how is Canada as far as being competitive in their skills for the U17s? I mean, on the world scale for the professional ranks, we kind of aren't really on the radar compared to some of the other biggies.

As far as the movie industry in Canada goes, don't forget that Vancouver is rather big for it (sort of). I hear they call it "Hollywood North* :D.

Hmm, what are some shows that have been filmed in Canada (that aren't necessarily Canadian productions)? Let's see, the first ones that come to mind are X-Men, Brokeback Mountain, Smallville, Supernatural (I think)... I know there's many many many more that I can't think of at the moment. What else can we name?

Don't forget DaVinci's Inquest and DaVinci's City Hall! :D

I can't wait for the Olympics. Hopefully I can go over into Vancouver one day or something for a look around. Yay Curling! :lol:

i want there to be a movie filmed in west side of canada, more movies over here means more hot celebs, the jesse james story had some parts filmed in e town but that was the first time in a couple of years, i bet fort edmonton now has signs that say "brad pitt used this urinal" or "brad pitt used a tissure from this tissue box" and then they have modles of the tissue in the gift shop ;)

quickbeam_cw said:
That's cool that we got the U17 FIFA championships, too, I didn't know that. I'm curious, how is Canada as far as being competitive in their skills for the U17s? I mean, on the world scale for the professional ranks, we kind of aren't really on the radar compared to some of the other biggies.

I believe our junior squad is much better then our current senior squad. The thing is that two of the best football/soccer players that we produced went on to play for other countries. Owen Hargraves plays on the England NT and Johathan De Guzman plays for Holland. Those guys see that the Canadian government doesn't care much for our football program(look at they funds they give us!!) so they figure they can go to another country for better opportunities football wise and other up & coming players will see that too which 'causes them to play for another NT. I think one of the reasons why football isn't big here is because our squad is a joke. You don't see Canadian hockey players leaving Canada to go play for Sweden like you see with football players. It's quite sad really :(...

^ :lol: I remember that episode.

quickbeam_cw said:
Hmm, what are some shows that have been filmed in Canada (that aren't necessarily Canadian productions)? Let's see, the first ones that come to mind are X-Men, Brokeback Mountain, Smallville, Supernatural (I think)... I know there's many many many more that I can't think of at the moment. What else can we name?

They film those Stargate shows five minutes at my place and I reside close to the 4400 or w/e it's called motel where an episode of Supernatural was filmed. They filmed John Tucker Must Die & She's The Man here. When Tru Calling was still around they was shot here. Dead Like Me was or is shot at the same studio where they film those Stargate shows. Happy Gilmore was filmed in Central Park. Ooh, and don't forget that Goldie Hawn used to live here when her son played hockey here. And, Seal proposed to Heidi Klum on a glacier in Whistler. The second Underworld was filmed in Squamish which is 1.5 hours from Vancouver. The Best in Show was shot here and so was Godiva's & the current CTV show, Whistler.

Yep, Vancouver is definitely Hollywood north :D.

yeah it is, and sometime like that mary kate and ashley movie that was supost to be filmed in new york was really filmed in toronto and vancover, and it's not like we over in the west dont have anything to offer, we have big buildings and such and nope the mall and the boot is the only thing we have :D

Ooh, ooh, I just rememberd another one. "Just Friends" with Ryan Reynolds was filmed in Saskatchewan! Yay!

Mmm... Ryan Reynolds.... *drool*

Come to think of it.. An episode of "Boston Legal" was filmed in Canada. Shatner said he had a blast filming it back in B.C. :D

..Let's not forget the 'Glory Days' work Eddie Cahill did in Vancouver and what he said. ^_^ *goes and gets the articles*

Part One Part Two

I prefer the west coast over the east coast. Even though it takes longer to travel places I like it that I'm really close to sunny, warm places like Hawaii & LA. Plus, we never have to worry about a snowstorm in late March :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back