Grissom&Sara#21 - Cuz Dating Secretly is SO Much Cooler

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by sarahvma, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csi_fan_uk

csi_fan_uk Police Officer

Re: Grissom&Sara#21 - Cuz Dating Secretly is SO Much Coo

I can see what you mean and I'd agree to a certain degree. However, no-one is spawned from nothingness and if a character is to be truly believable then eventually you have to deal with the fact that they have parents.

It would have to be dealt with well, though. The episode of House where we meet House's folks is a good example of it being done well. House's parents aren't monsters - his mother's lovely and his Dad's a little strict. The episode gives some clues as to why House is the way he is but they do not explain all the bitterness inherent in House's character. If they could do something similar with Gris's mum then I'd say go for it.

You may be right though - I'm not sure they could. It may be best to leave well alone. Or, make reference to off-screen scenes.

2. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Re: Grissom&Sara#21 - Cuz Dating Secretly is SO Much Coo

Oh, I agree - learning about his mother, learning about his upbringing... that's all good.

House is an excellent example. While you know he has parents, if they're too nice, then it's a little ironic that he's so bitter, and if they're bitter people, it will feel like too much of a cop-out for explaining his personality.

Same with Grissom - if his mother is this immaculate, stylish, cultured woman, it almost feels like they're saying "Grissom is the way he is only because of this factor". If she's a crazy old cat lady then it's "isn't it wonderful that he pulled himself up from nothingness?" and if she's just sort of... normal, then it's not very interesting at all.

That's the problem, in my opinion.

Like with Sara, we already know the impact (or lack thereof) that her mother had on her life, and we also already know what to expect from her - probably a hardened, bitter woman.

And I don't think that meeting her gives anything away about Sara. Like I said, Sara is sort of an open book at this point. We don't know everything, but we know quite a bit.

I think if we lose a lot of the mystery to Grissom - like, say, if his Mother is embarassing or they play the scene in a goofy way, I think a great deal of his appeal (not the attractiveness, Adzix. lol) will be lost.

3. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

okey, i just realized something, that probably everybody already realized like a million posts ago, but in case somebody missed it: both of their dads are dead, and their moms are alive :D now, it would be the most fluffy script EVER if the both moms met each other.

i kinda think it can work both ways really. why are we assuming his mom'll be embarassing or goofy? if they figured out a fantastic way to bring her in, made her a very original character, cast a great actress, this could give a lot more to Grissom's character, and in a good way.

but i see that there would be a tremendous risk involved, and the chances that it would work out are pretty small. i think even though it would be completely great if it worked out, it's just not worth the risk of loosing some of the Grissom's appeal, as you named it sarah.

and of course, his attractiveness is eternal and undestructible. nothing, even Grissom's mom bouncing around the lab in figure skating suit with swimming googles on, won't change that. ever.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I assume it simply because it seems like there are always two extremes when it comes to showing elderly parents. Both of which can be summed up by Will and Grace.

You either have Grace's mother - quirky, embarassing, old-ladyish, or Will's mother - stately, cold (but kick-ass cuz it's Blythe Danner even though she forgot her Emmy when she left the stage).

But I think the best way I can describe it is that I don't think that anyone can "be" Grissom's mother. I don't think they can really find the right person for it. No matter what she's supposed to be like.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they just up and have her die and have him attend the funeral or something.

Even if she brings a matching outfit for him?

5. ziggystarduzt

ziggystarduzt CSI Level Two

^OOH! OOH! Speaking of W&G, how fantastic would it be if Debbie Reynolds guested as Grissom's mom. I would SO LOVE THAT. She could sing show tunes with Nick and Greg and make snotty comments about Catherine's attire. Then she'd take Sara for cocktails and try to convince her to "dish" about really personal moments in her relationship with Grissom. Classic moments could include her referring to her son as "My little Gilby" and playing matchmaker between Brass and her niece! WOO!

6. Reeble

Reeble CSI Level Three

Zigz, you are completely and utterly insane and I love it to death. One problem - how would Grissom's mom get all this across with sign language, unless the team learned it or knew it from before?

Except pudding. You can't forget the pudding.

Let it all out, M_C, let it all out. We all feel your pain. It was hideous, I know.

I would love love love to see Grissom's mother. But you know who I would love even more to see? Sara's brother. What do you guys think? It might have been just TPTB trying to build a backstory for Sara in the early seasons with the whole "found my brother's bag of weed" thing, but I think they would be able to incorporate it into her current story. Maybe, they got seperated and got put into different foster homes or something like that. Or, they could of been foster siblings. Either way, I think it would be awesome if they brought him in. I would prefer if he wasn't a suspect or victim or related to the case at all, but I've never seen CSI do that so I wouldn't hold my breath. Either way, I think it would make for a pretty kickass episode.

"Sara, it's me, <insert clever male Sidle name here>!"

Magical.

Oh, and by the way...welcome to all newbies! This ship is the place to be. We pretty much rock your world.

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I have a feeling they might go for either victim or suspect if her brother was on...could work, might not, depends how they go about it. I agree, it'd be unique if they went different but I'm not holding my breath either. But if bad things happen, Gris can be there to comfort her at least :)

8. ziggystarduzt

YAY!!!!!!!!! I'm insane! *rolls around on the floor* My boyfriend is trying to say that she can't sing if she's deaf either. This makes me sad. I forgot about all these flaws in my logic. Alas. TO THE BATCAVE! Where I will review my ingenious theories.

IT SHOULD TOTALLY BE HUMPHREY! Humphrey Sidle. How clever is THAT? Yeah. I thought so.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I'm going to have to go with false suspect with the brother - have him come in, Sara seems wary, maybe he's claiming to be cleaned up, but she's not sure. Then a crime hits, he's being blamed, it turns out to be a set-up, blah blah blah.

Long story short, they couldn't definitely have the brother and work him into a normal casefile.

10. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

ESPECIALLY then. no, i'm kiddin'. oh, she can bring whatever she wants, he won't wear it anyway. he wore the BH in the finale and i still think he's sex on legs. how cool's that?
    corn pudding ... *cough* yeah.

about the brother, i'd enjoy his presence for sure (he could be played by Dean, don't ya think?). and you know what i'd like the most? i'd like Humphrey to interact with Grissom. i'd like him to somehow catch G/S, well on nothing really extreme like sex or a make out, but being close and just sweet to each other. then, he'd ask what's going on and have a Dean-puppy-i'm-confused face. they'd have to admit they're together and the next day Humph would have a little chat with Grissom face to face about Sara. now THAT is something a need to add to my wish list.

ETA: i don't have to add i'd DIE of too much hottness, right? cuz, i don't think, i realy, SERIOUSLY don't think i'd live through that. i mean, Dean AND Billy in the same time on screen, would be just ......... *freakin' faints, wakes up, runs to take a very COLD shower, faints again, screams during being uncounscious (..huh?..) and generally freaks out for the next two hours, period*

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

BH standing for... Blue Hawaiian?

And it's very very cool... *coughs - loser - coughs*

But it brings me to a related point. Greg can do anything to his hair, Nick can wear any manner of ugly or kitchy stuff and Warrick can pretty much stroll in with his shirt fully unbuttoned, but nobody says anything.

Yet you notice that if Grissom or Sara dress in a way that is seemingly out of character, it causes a commotion. Hence the robe and the shirt.

And perhaps it's simply because they just seem the most... unconcerned with fashion or style within the group. I'm not saying they dress badly, but they almost tend to dress more functionally than anything else.

And so again, I come back to the clothing choices. Were they strange? Yes. Do I think that was the point? Yes.

We're suddenly getting a peak into their lives for the past year that we weren't really let in on. So I wouldn't be surprised if now that we are a part of it, we see Grissom dressing more casually or Sara dressing in a way that's more feminine. Simply because, while not really logical to the storyline, it does represent that we are seeing a further layer of them than simply their work personas.

12. ziggystarduzt

^Adz, as much as I would SO LOVE to see the hotness that is Dean on CSI, I really can't see him playing Grissom's brother. He's too much younger. And. *cough*hotter*cough*. And you know. Not the same race as Grissom.

I like your point, Sar. Clothing as a character device. If CM can claim the fugly hat was a statement of character, than hell YEAH the robe and ugly shirt can be as well. Can't you just imagine Grissom wearing that hideous hat with the hideous shirt? Oh God that would hurt my eyes so.

Hey, btw, are we watching the premiere together? Do you have a class Friday am? Cause you could sleep over and we could *cough* have like. a two-person party of mucho coolness. We're so totally rad like that.

13. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

I'll need it after my first Psych test. Yes, but I have to pretty much bolt out of your house somehow cuz I'll have work Friday morning, but I could take it the next morning, and I think no one else cares about our finale plans, so blah.

But yeah - I wouldn't miss it.

As for Dean... you know, you would think race would be a factor, but I'd like to point to one of the great semi-demi-asians of our time, Keanu Reeves.

When he was cast in Bill and Ted, both his father and brother were white white white.

And wasn't Adz saying that he could be Sara's brother?

I'll bet Sara likes him to keep on both in bed ;) epsecially with loafers. Always with loafers.

14. Mini_Catherine

Mini_Catherine CSI Level One

Ziggy, ILU. Sweet terms. I use rad, but mucho coolness? I think SO! :)

I think the clothing statements are totally wicked! Yes, I do indeed. :) baha, I do. Marriage. GSR.. I'm lame :(

15. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

lol. MiniCatherine, is you drunk, child?

Anyway - my deep clothing sentiments are somewhat out there. But CM defending the hat? Now that was just crazy. lol.

Nah - in truth, that could've been WP's or CM's way of saying, "a return to the old Grissom, but with a twist". It WAS supposed to have been the year of Grissom. While I didn't feel that, i did get the sense that in several instances they were showing that *something* about him had changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.