Grade 'Snow Day'

I enjoyed CSI:NY's Die-Hard finale, that's for sure. It's quite different from its usual go-for-the-evidence style. Seeing Mac, Stella & Hawkes drenched and holding guns was a real treat!

Two questions I have...this one blatantly stolen from Elsie because I think it's a great one--do you think Mac was wrong to rig the bomb and thereby kill two men? Do you think he'll be held accountable for it?

And the second--do you think the mob guy was really going to kill Danny when he went for him in the warehouse, or was he just trying to freak Flack out? Killing a cop would probably automatically get him the death penalty, but they obvious thought they'd escape. I'm really not sure--what do you guys think?

I did wonder about the bomb too. It was kind of extreme, wasn't it? What if someone else, Hawkes maybe, accidentally walked into it?

And I think the mob guy was really going to kill Danny. Any gun-fire inside the warehouse would bring Flack and gang in immediately. They would end up killing their own (the 2 poor bounded cops). And the 2 mob guys would be able to get away easily since they were wearing uniforms. Just my thoughts :)

I think that the bomb going off the in the lab was clearly accidental, but Mac does have a clear responsibility for rigging the pipe bomb in the first place. There should be some consequences for his actions, after all the mobsters have now escaped justice because of a pipe bomb. Now, their jail sentences probably would not have been very heavy, but I feel strongly that they should have had their a$$es kicked then had some fun in a 6x6 cell for several years.

Top41 said:
do you think Mac was wrong to rig the bomb and thereby kill two men? Do you think he'll be held accountable for it?

I'll be the first to admit that I thought he was dummy-rigging the tank simply to psyche out the robber. He's most definitely going to have to explain his actions to the Brass which makes his flippant 'London' comment strange because they're going to want those answers now and not later.

I also believe he will step up and tell them that he did what he felt was necessary to protect the lab and the cocaine from falling into the wrong hands. A lab can be rebuilt, the evidence to cases can not. Unfortunately, it's too soon to know just how many current case outcomes will be compromised due to the blast.

I'd love to see just how much internal damage was done but I'm sure S4 will start out with pristine looking labs...maybe with some solid walls this time for privacy? lol.

m

If only Gerard and Sinclair had been in there at the time of the blast... AT GROUND ZERO!!! Now THAT would have rocked! :D

Top41
do you think Mac was wrong to rig the bomb and thereby kill two men?
I didn't quite understand why he did it the way he did. I suppose he wanted to keep this 'player' out of the game and by constructing the bomb he made sure that none of his accomplices could set him free after Mac left him alone. But Mac left the tape on the guy's mouth so if anyone else -friend or foe- had approached him there was no way he could have given a warning.
Do you think he'll be held accountable for it?
He should. There at least has to be another hearing, but I highly doubt we ever hear about it again.
do you think the mob guy was really going to kill Danny when he went for him in the warehouse, or was he just trying to freak Flack out?
I think he was going to kill Danny or Adam, still leaving one (or actually three if you count the uniformed cops too) for negotiation purposes.

I think he was going to kill Danny or Adam, still leaving one (or actually three if you count the uniformed cops too) for negotiation purposes.
Yeah, for all of Danny's reassurances to Adam, I don't think those guys would have hesitated to kill someone--and Flack would have still negotiated for the release of the others.

do you think Mac was wrong to rig the bomb and thereby kill two men?
In a word, yes.

I have to admit, having seen the promo video prior to the episode I knew the bomb plan was doomed. Clearly, when Mac is rigging up the bomb he wasn't expecting it to actually go off. It was meant as a deterrant. That said, rigging a bomb in a government building? All to keep a man that you have already disarmed and tied up from escaping is, by anyone's standards, extreme.

I still believe at the point when the bomb exploded, Mac didn't mean for the men to die. He did shout 'No!' in what I am taking as a belated warning rather than any fear for himself, for the two men. Mac wanted the siege to end differently, and I'm sure he would have loved to simply capture both men.

Do you think he'll be held accountable for it?
Nah, he's super Mac! Coming so soon after the internal investigation one would think that Mac would have some serious explaining to do, which he can't do in London...I'm sure it will be mentioned in the fourth season, but, despite my dislike of Mac's terrible bomb plan, I hope that TPTB decide instead to focus any fallout from the finale on those characters injured and changed by the experience. Mac practically ended the season with an internal investigation, to start a new one with the same would be disappointing. I can only put up with a small amount of sanctimonious Mac in any one season, why waste it all at the beginning? :p

Stella looked fairly pleased with the bomb plan too. 'He looks confused Mac?' she says in a sarcastic voice, and she has a look that says 'look how clever we are, you will never win'. I'm sure she'll back him 100%.

The moral of this story...just because you know how to make a bomb and rig up a laser trip wire, doesn't mean you should. Fool.

do you think the mob guy was really going to kill Danny
This I'm really not sure about...I didn't think so. In a way it would seem to be a stupid thing to do, but also, keeping them alive then you would have to think that your chances of escaping from the situation is highly unlikely. Of course Danny and Adam fairly quickly would have mentioned that the two men dressed as cops were actually the bad guys! So killing them would have made some sense, but it's pretty much a given that once you shoot, the warehouse will be stormed by armed police, so they must have had some sort of plan?

Actually, there are very few decent plans that can be thought of for this scenario. And a team that was put together in less than a day to get back their drug stash probably didn't really have time for too much in the way of detailed planning. Essentially, they had the makings of a good plan, but with no exit strategy. I think the guys in the lab had more chance of getting out alive than the two in the warehouse, so I believe they may have been lower down the food chain and acceptable losses for the group. This would probably make them slightly more unpredictable, and maybe the more outwardly violent and sadistic members of the group, so by that standard anything goes.

On a different point. They have one hell of a sprinkler system in that building, it could do with some controls and replacing with a zoned system. They managed to set it off with a tiny flame, and yet there are people in that building everyday creating more heat, smoke and flames without any problems? Yes, when you've seen this episode as many times as I now have, you start to focus on the tiniest of things... :lol:

And don't get me started on the processing of evidence whilst under siege! Mac follows the guys from the elevators, collects trace evidence left from their shoes and matches it back to the warehouse! :lol: I would have preferred him to be looking for Stella, after his previous 'let's split up and see what's causing the fake gas leak' plan, although to be fair she's no better with her fingerprint collection and analysis...sometimes I really do wonder about that man!

Despite all of this, I completely adored the episode, and it may well be my favourite all time NY episode. :D

They have one hell of a sprinkler system in that building, it could do with some controls and replacing with a zoned system. They managed to set it off with a tiny flame, and yet there are people in that building everyday creating more heat, smoke and flames without any problems?
Yeah, didn't Hawkes burn a lot of cigarettes in one episode, and have the lab filled with smoke? *thinks* If that didn't set off the sprinklers...

yeah! the black shirt was hot....and it was nice to see some of theold Danny more towards the middle...when he was with Adam

Mac with shirt or no shirt looks HOT. :devil: :p :p
When the sprinkler system went off and it started raining and he got all wet and he was all sexy and WHOOO, I loved this episode out of all of the other ones. :lol:

Back