"Ficlets" about CSI: LV - Give me suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Hestia, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Ooh wow you wrote it!!! YAY!!! :D :D I've told you, right, that I've been waiting FOREVER ('forever'... vampires... kinda appropriate lol) to read it? You just made my day :D
    I've fallen in love with it... Didn't expect the twist and all. Oh my, I just have to say it: vampire Greg is SO DAMN sexy :devil: :devil:

:lol: :lol: LOVE that line!

Though I have to admit, I didn't expect Greg to be tied up on a stake :lol: But it still rocks.
    Brilliant as always :)

ETA: As promised... COOKIES!! *gives Hestia a handful of fresh Sandle cookies* Enjoy :D

2. hollie

hollie Pathologist

YAY! Vampire fic!!

That was soo good Hestia! My favorite ship. My two favorite guys. Plus it was hilarious. I'm very happy right now! Amazing!! :D

3. AmandaSzmanda

AmandaSzmanda CSI Level Two

:lol: That was awsome.

I'm not going to give you anything rediclusly hard, you just have to Nick say "I'll fetch for ya" and Cath going "I guess you can teach a dog new tricks"

4. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Jessica, I have finally responded to your request! Curse my procrastination! :lol: I sure do hope this is what you had in mind, and I tried to think of how to go about this particular ficlet.
    Anyway, I wrote this from the POV of someone who is deaf. I figured it would be easier, because it was visual. :)

It was one of those warm, sunny days with cerulean skies and fluffy white clouds. I could’ve gone to the park or the lake. A nice lunch in an outdoor café would’ve been great.
    Instead I decided to go shopping.

At least the walk over to the grocers was nice. I thought about getting something for this boy I know. He’s terribly sweet and his birthday is coming up soon. Do they sell birthday cards at the grocery store? Do I want to get him something that’s terribly unoriginal?
    No. I want to stand out. I want him to remember me.

There’s barely anyone in the store. An elderly woman in a polka dotted, cotton dress, and a ruffled blue shawl is currently browsing the pet food aisle. Why would anyone wear something like that on a nice, warm day like today?

A group of teenagers were standing by the magazine rack. Relaxed and casually dressed, they were probably a few years younger than me, and they looked like they were laughing about something. Something incredibly hilarious because an employee walked over and admonished them for being too disruptive. At least I think that’s why.

Walking to the produce section, a young, red haired woman with two equally red headed children caught my eye. Their freckles were adorable. I always wanted freckles. But what really caught my attention was how well-behaved the children were - and they couldn’t be more than 5 and 6 years old. They were pink faced and panting so perhaps they were too tired to do anything bothersome. A run around the park could do that to someone.
    I really want to go to the park, not just to run around but to enjoy the fresh air and do some people-watching. Apparently, I’m good at that, at least according to the people I live with.
    I should get what I need quickly, so I can actually go to the park instead of just wishing I could.

Tomatoes, peppers, onions, bread, milk, cheese, eggs, cake mix. I think that’s it.

I suppose I was in too much of a hurry, because as I hauled my goods to the front, I bumped right into this spiky haired guy.
    Well… not so much bumped, than ran into him, fell backwards, and spilled everything. The eggs cracked and the milk is ran all over the place.

He looked so embarrassed as he helped me to my feet. I could tell he was trying to apologize but I was more concerned about the things I spilled. And how much longer it would take before I would get to go to the park.

A brunette woman walked over and saw the two of us, along with the mess on the floor. She looked rather upset at the man, shaking her head and waving her hands. He was on the defensive, with his arms up and close to him, as well as the slightly slumped posture he got into. They looked like my friends when they fought or argued over something silly. But she was obviously the one in control.
    I took the time to check out their clothes; their features. With an ornate shirt of neon colors: blues, magentas, yellows, and worn, black jeans, the young man was visually the contradiction of the woman. She had a grey tank top and some dark, dress pants. Her hair was pulled back in such a way the almost seemed to pinch her features, while his hair was just all over the place.

When they finally turned back to me, they seemed to realize that I was studying at them. Like most people who get stared at, they looked confused, and then a bit self-conscious. I gave them a smile and waved good bye.
    The woman wouldn’t let me leave that quickly, especially since I seemed to have acquired a bruise on by elbow.

She looked right at me, asking something. I studied her lips carefully. A pink sheer and a small gap in her teeth. Interesting… I shook my head and nodded. She wanted to know if I was okay.

The man finally understood. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a scrap of paper and a stub of a pencil.
    ‘Are you deaf?’ he scratched down.
    I just nodded and smiled again. The woman looked embarrassed all over again. It was no big deal.
    I grabbed what I could salvage from the floor, which was just the bagged vegetables, the cheese, and the cake mix.

I was done in five minutes - thank goodness!
    At the register I caught sight of the two people from before. They weren’t arguing anymore. Good.
    She was leaning into him and he had his hand on her shoulder. It was not simply friendship, like I originally thought. Those two were a couple and they were smiling as if they were the only two in the store.

I looked at the cake mix in my basket. Maybe after I make him his birthday cake, he’ll look at me the way that man looks at her. A look of pure adoration.

Up next, a simple suggestion by AmandaSzmanda! *gasp* :eek: Simple suggestion? Cool.

5. Silhouette

Silhouette Pathologist

Awwww that's so cute, Hestia :)

6. hollie

hollie Pathologist

Aww. I really love it. It's so cuteyful. :D

7. AmandaSzmanda

That was so cute :)

Hey, I'm not always difficult, just 82% of the time.

8. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

I know… I haven’t been doing my part to keep this thread alive. But I’m not going to go on with my excuses. I’ll just say that the real world can be very time consuming and leave it at that... plus writer's block. I never thought I could get it, but here I am. -_-
    I hope you like what I came up with, AmandaSzmanda. :)

There were some things that Catherine never thought she would do. She baby-sat for Grissom’s roaches and looked after Warrick’s niece, so she could only assume this was another thing she was chosen to do because of her ‘motherly skills’.
    Still, she was having a hard time taking care of Nick’s dog while he was at some conference for work.

“I just got the little guy and I would really hate to leave him alone for the entire weekend.”
    Catherine didn’t realize what she was getting into when she accepted Nick’s plea.
    “Fine. I’ll check up on him. Just make sure there’s enough money for food and toys.”
    “Don’t worry, Cath, he’s a sweet, little guy.”

Sure the dog was nice, but Nick failed to mention it was a young pup. The dog had enough energy and a mischievous streak to rival any four year old. At the moment, she was looking for the little ball of fluff in Nick’s room.
    “Come on, you need to take a bath,” she sighed.
    Looking everywhere except for the bed, she knew what she had to do. She leaned over and saw a pair of shiny, black eyes staring at her.
    “Aha! Gotcha!”
    As quick as possible, she reached under and grabbed what she assumed was the dog.
    “What the…?”
    Unfortunately the two eyes belonged to a fuzzy teddy bear.
    “Okay… that’s it.”
    She was tired of chasing this silly puppy around the entire apartment. Twice. It ends here.
    Mustering some strength, Catherine moved the bed over and found the dog pawing at some dust bunnies in a corner. She wearily grabbed the dog and took him to the bathroom.
    After he got his bath, she determined she needed one too.

“Nicky will be back in two hours. Be good.”
    She put him in his doggy bed and placed it on a table. That would thwart any attempts of him exploring the place.

Lindsey seemed to know a lot about dogs when she found out why her mother looked so tired.
    “Oh a puppy? Well, you should try taking him outside. You know, playing with it until it gets tired.”
    “Nick doesn’t have a backyard.”
    “Then bring the dog here! I wanna see the puppy,” she grinned.
    The tired mother/pet sitter decided if Lindsey wanted to help, she might as well give it a shot.
    “I’ll call Nick and tell him to come pick up the dog here.”

After realizing she placed a chair right next to the table and the little dog was not in his bed, she pit two and two together and went on another wild goose chase lasting nearly forty minutes.

Catherine greeted Lindsey with, “I need a nap. You want him, take him outside,” before plopping the squirming dog into her daughters hands and heading upstairs.
    Lindsey looked at the dog, the dog looked at Lindsey.
    “I’m going to surprise your owner and mom, by teaching you some tricks!”

“I taught him how to sit and fetch!”
    “What?” Catherine just got up from her nap and walked downstairs to answer the doorbell.
    “Nick, finally!”
    “How was everything? Hope he didn’t give you any trouble.”
    “It was fine,” Catherine managed a small smile. “Your dog’s out back.”
    “And I taught him something,” Lindsey appeared behind her mother, looking quite proud.

“Okay. Now watch,” Lindsey had the puppy sit, making sure the adults noticed. “Here boy. See the ball? Go fetch!:
    She threw a tennis ball towards a tree, expecting the dog to go after it with excitement, just like he did a dozen times before.
    Apparently, she forgot the whole point of taking him outside. The dog was tired of chasing the ball.
    “Ummm… wait. He did this before.”
    “Maybe he’s shy in front of an audience,” Nick joked.

Undeterred, Lindsey grabbed a squeaky ball and tossed that, hoping for a repeat performance. Nick and Catherine just looked amused when the dog laid down and yawned.
    “That’s tough. But you know how it is. You can’t teach an old dog… actually a new dog, new tricks.” Catherine was still a little bleary eyed from her nap.
    “Don’t worry,” Nick smiled good-naturedly, “I'll fetch for ya.”
    Catherine just smiled as he ran to get the ball, "I guess you can teach a dog new tricks."

Writer's block begone!
    I really hope it will be gone when the new season comes! *sigh*

9. AmandaSzmanda

Aww, that was cute.

*takes writers black away* Better?

10. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

[​IMG] Like a phoenix rising from the ashes I have returned…[​IMG]

Oh who am I kidding? I’m sure you have all abandoned me and I don’t blame you! :( Summer hiatus + writer’s block = guilty conscience! I saved this thread and read it twice - I just can’t believe how great you have all been! All the encouragement and how happy my writing made you feel! (even though there were some mistakes I caught in my writing). Even if this gets no replies, maybe a newbie will stumble onto this and request something. However my first ficlet from my return shall tackle Greg’s harrowing ordeal in Fannysmackin’, That’s another thing that made me want to bring this thread back.
    So without further ado, this is for the Greg lovers (plus a hint of sandle because I’m in the mood!) :)

When he was wheeled to the hospital, he dimly wondered what would happen?
    Not just to him - the man in the alley, the people who attacked him, and particularly his parents. Grissom’s visit did nothing to ease his minds about his parents but at least his boss was worried. He was a hero but he didn’t really feel like one.

Should he tell his mother? She deserved to know the truth. But he couldn’t bear her seeing him like this. If he had to tell her, he would tell her later. He tried to sleep, even though he had this nagging question above him.

Greg sank back into his bed thoughts wandering in and out. Everything went by in a blur. First there was the man who was being attacked; Greg’s conscious drove him to do something. He couldn’t sit back and watch that man die before him. He remembered that he tried to scare them off with the Denali. He didn’t want to think about what they did to him when they dragged him out of the car.
    Actually, he couldn’t remember even if he tried. Perhaps it was his subconscious trying to block the terrible images from his mind. What he did remember was the pain. It was the worst pain he experienced and he never wanted to go through anything like that again. His face was bloodied and swollen, his arms were cut and bruised. His whole body ached.

It was truly a living nightmare. And that was just the beginning.

When he saw the patient in the room beside him, he felt numb. Stepping closer he recognized the boy who was dying. The boy he ran over.
    He didn’t know what to feel, but sensed that his feelings would come back later full force. And he was right.

Dozing in and out of sleep, he was in a turbulent of emotions, trying to shake the images of the boy who died, his family around him, looking helpless. The boy’s mother was devastated; the brother was quietly and angrily beside himself.
    Greg truly felt terrible for them. Her weeping figure stayed with him for many hours. After a while, still trying to make sense of things, he decided that he didn’t want to put his own mother through that - that was the only thing he was certain of. He needed some kind of certainty and assurance and he didn‘t have much.

A couple of days in the hospital and he was starting to get fed up. The few people who came to visit him were a welcome change to the quiet monotony. The television gave him a headache. Even flipping through a magazine was getting boring. If only he had more reading material.

Today, he heard familiar voices down the hall and felt his spirits rise a bit.
    Nick walked in with Sara and Warrick behind. They were happy to see him, and he returned the feeling.
    “Hey.”
    They all smiled and said hi. Nick and Sara were by his bedside while Warrick chose to sit in a nearby chair.
    “Thought you’d like to know we got them. They’re not gonna harm another person,” Nick was eager to give him the good news.
    “That’s good,” he felt himself nod slowly.
    “We got you something,” he handed over the Roberto’s bag. Greg gladly grabbed it, and took a few bites before looking back at his friends.
    “Thanks. I was starting to get a craving for something normal.”
    “No problem, man.”
    Nick looked around awkwardly before asking, “So how are you feelin’?”
    Greg simply shrugged lightly, “I think I’ll be okay.”
    Warrick broached the topic of his parents, “I heard Grissom swung by earlier. Talked to you about how your parents will handle this.”
    He didn’t look particularly happy with the subject, so Sara quickly broke in.
    “So, you’re feeling better, which means you’ll be getting out soon. Do you know when…?”
    “It’s hard to say. I guess a week or two.”
    She nodded, satisfied with the answer.

The three hung around for a while, talking about lighter things: the weather, music, and inevitably what they’ll do when he comes back to lab. He just stayed in his bed listening to them. Only responding with a few words when they asked him a question directly.

He watched as they glanced at the clock and bid their goodbyes. Sara, Nick and Warrick wished him well, hoping for a speedy recovery. He thanked them and closed his eyes, his head still swimming with thoughts of his parents and what they would say, as well as what his first day back at work would be like.

He was surprised to feel a light touch on his shoulder and someone kiss his cheek. He didn’t have to open his eyes to know it was Sara.
    “Feel better, Greg. I miss you.”
    He kept his eyes closed and as she left, he let a faint smile slip through - welcoming the sense of normalcy. He missed her too; he missed all his colleagues, and he told himself he would get better.
    He would meet any challenges that lay ahead.

And that's it. I hope people liked this. Anyone at all.
    Oh yes! ---> Please leave any criticism, comments, corrections (those are the three Cs! :)) And I still take requests! *gasps all around*
    Thanks for reading!

11. YouandMe1105

YouandMe1105 Lab Technician

:D Excellent ficlet. Of course it had Sandle in it, so I'm a bit biased. I'll have to think of a request or two for you now. Good job! ;)

12. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Has anyone done a LV/NY crossovr on here yet?
    Another suggestion: Post GD Catnip, if you write the ship.

13. AmandaSzmanda

Loverly. As always. Since you are back can I give you some of my weird funky suggestions again?

14. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Thanks for the review YouandMe1105 (I want to, but I cannot bring myself to call you Yummy… :lol:)
    MacsGirlMel, I don’t know if you can call them crossovers, but there are two ficlets around here somewhere which have a NY couple in a cameo role. (I don’t really watch CSI: Miami or CSI: NY, but I’m pondering whether or not I should start watching them. They sound so interesting!) Anyway, I shall gladly write a post-Grave danger CatNip ficlet. (GD = Grave Danger, right?) Any ships are fine with me.
    And AmandaSzmanda, you most definitely can give me new challenges. I hope they’re not too crazy! :p
    So, here we go: a post Grave Danger, Catherine/Nick story.

Buried alive.
    He survived being buried alive with several painful reminders of his ordeal. His jaw was clenched and his eyes were shut tight. While the sirens were blaring, Catherine repeated that everything was going to be okay, while Warrick was still beating himself up over it.
    Paramedics wheeled him to ICU and left a worried pair behind, hoping he would be alright. Only after he was stabilized and left to himself, did he let himself relax. The morphine helped as well. He felt silent tears run down his cheeks, but at least he was free of the confined space.
    Free. That’s all that mattered.

He woke up to the sound of a soft voice. She was his first visitor, and he initially thought it was because she was responsible for him.
    “How are you doing, Nick?”
    He just stared at her, a dry feeling in his mouth prevented him from answering. As if she knew, Catherine handed him a bottle of water, which he drank quickly.
    When he was able to answer, he told her he was doing okay. She didn’t looked convinced.
    “You got an awful lot of ant bites.”
    He looked down at his hands, grimacing at the angry red stings dotting both hands. If they looked anything like his face, he realized he might have looked worse than he actually felt.
    “I’ll survive, Cath.”
    “I know you will,” she let out a low sigh, “I have to… go. But I’ll come back. So… feel better.”
    He attempted to smile reassuringly but found that his nerves wouldn’t cooperate very well. She just looked sad, but quickly smiled back, leaving him alone once again.

It was several weeks until he was finally discharged, and she was the first who greeted him - with a grin and a bright balloon.
    She was the first one who approached him and gave him a fierce hug. He gladly returned it, saying he was glad to see her.
    “Where’s everyone else?”
    “They’ll be here in a second. I just wanted to be the first to see you when you got out of here. To make sure you were okay.”
    “Thanks. I appreciate-”
    “Nicky!”
    Warrick, Sara, and Greg were walking toward him. They looked very happy to see him.
    “Hey guys.”
    “You look like you’ve healed up.”
    “Yeah. I’m fine.”
    They were glad to hear him say that and invited him to lunch at his favorite place.
    “I’d love to, but I kinda have something to do,” he declined politely.
    “You’re barely out of the hospital,” Sara protested.
    “You gonna go home and get some more rest?” Warrick questioned.
    “Sort of. I need to do this to get peace of mind.”
    They all nodded - except for Catherine. She seemed concerned, and she had to find out what Nick was going to do.

“You didn’t have to drive me home, Cath.”
    “It’s the least I can do,” she replied smoothly, “I wanted to talk to you.”
    “Alright.”
    She hesitated but decided to plunge ahead, “What were you talking about before? What do you need to do to get peace of mind?”
    “Catherine-”
    “I don’t want you to get hurt. If this… whatever it is you need to do… I want to know, so I can help at the very least.”
    He nodded. He could understand her concern.
    “I’m not going to do anything stupid.”
    “Okay. If it’s not stupid, tell me.”
    He sighed, placing a hand on his forehead. He wasn’t eager to let her in on his plans.
    “I know that… Walter Gordon had… a daughter. I want to talk to her.”
    There. He said it.
    She was obviously shocked, but had to keep her eyes on the road.
    “Why?”
    “I need to do this. I have something I need to tell her.”
    Catherine didn’t look happy. He carefully avoided making eye contact until they got to his place. When she finally stopped the car and got out she took a deep breath and gave him a look of understanding.
    “I understand. I f you want I’ll help you find her.”

~~~~~~
    “I told her not to take it with her. I didn’t want her to be angry anymore.”
    Catherine gazed at him sadly, almost knowing what he would say, but she still asked, “Did she listen?”
    “I don’t think so.”
    “You tried,” she reached over and squeezed his hand. He didn’t say a thing.

The two sat in the silence of her car, staring out the window in front of them, the expanse of desert all around, except for the towering prison behind.
    “You tried,” she spoke softly, “that’s all you can do. And I’m proud.”
    He nodded silently before answering, “I didn’t want you to come with me because I didn’t want you to see me fail with her. I tried and I failed. It’s my fault you wasted your time here with me.”
    “You’re too kind, Nick. That’s your only fault.”

She leaned into him, her face close to his. Her lips scarcely brushing his. He stared wide-eyed, seemingly making Catherine lose her nerve. She backed away slightly, opting for a simple hug.

Nick didn’t know if his renewed disappointment was over Kelly Gordon.

So, I hope you liked it. I know that AmandaSzmanda is also a CatNip fan. Once again, thanks for the lovely responses and request away. :) Or you can just leave a comment or correction.

15. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I like it, it fits nicely into cannon :)