"Ficlets" about CSI: LV - Give me suggestions!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Hestia, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hollie

hollie Pathologist

That was really cute.

2. umbrello

umbrello Rookie

I came up with a couple of tough ones - I hope your up to the challenge! :lol: ;)

-Catherine plays mathmaker to a reluctant G/LH.

-Catherine/LH friendship set after POTR. Cath helps LH with her daughter's funeral arrangements.

3. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

AmandaSzmanda, your suggestion was cool. The song titles sounded great for an angst ficlet. Just so you know, I chose sandles and I shall include each title into the conversation in the track order! :)

They’ve been together for a month and a half now, and things seemed to be going alright. At the moment, they haven’t told anyone in the lab about what’s been going on, but she kept insisting it would be all in due time. She offered him a ride, after work,

“You know, we could end all the secrecy by just telling them we’re dating. It’s no big deal. We’re adults, and it‘s our lives.”
    Her brunette hair was tied back into a low, messy ponytail and she told him the same things she always said.
    “I don’t want them to know about my private life. That’s why it’s private.”
    “So you think of me as your dirty little secret?” Greg teased.
    She rolled her eyes before getting in the car. By her stiff demeanor he could tell that she was not in a joking mood.
    “Ummm… did I do something wrong?”

She got into the drivers seat and started the car. He was quiet for a bit, not expecting her to answer.
    “Do you think I find it funny when you flirt with other women in front of me?”
    “Oh. Jealous streak strikes again, huh?”
    She glared at him, “Did you go out with Sofia before asking me out?”
    Greg’s guilty look was all she needed to know.
    “I guess you got me. Stab my back after I told you about Grissom. I dated him before you, but at least I said something. Where you ever going to tell me about the thing you two had?”
    “There was no ‘thing’ to speak of. Let’s just move along,” he leaned against the glass window.

After driving for a few minutes she spoke up.
    “Maybe we’re too different. I think we should just end this.”
    “You can’t be serious, all this over a past relationship? he looked at her solemn, weary face.
    “So you admit you too had a relationship? Maybe she would be a better match with you.”
    “What are you saying?”
    She looked a little regretful, but her voice was firm, “It’s over, Greg. It ends tonight.”
    He frowned, wondering where all this bitterness and envy was coming from.
    “Don’t this already. We barely started this relationship,” he half pleaded, half talked her into thinking it over. She wouldn’t budge. “What can I do to make you change your mind?”
    “Nothing. I‘ve been thinking about this for a while. I can’t stand feeling this way. Being worried every time I see you flirt with another girl. Even if you don‘t mean it, I don’t want to stay in a relationship that gets me so worked up.”

He had half a mind to tell her to go back to her old flame, but thought better of it.
    The air around them grow cold. It may have been the chill air of their night drive, but even though he really wanted to be with Sara, he realized that if a small fight got between them, maybe it was the best for both of them to end their relationship. Sara needed time to get over her insecurities.
    “You can drop me off here.”
    She stopped the car in front of his apartment and said a soft goodbye. He had her for a moment and lost her just as quick. It was an unpleasant feeling to say the least.

He walked into his apartment, noting that it was 11:11 pm. Everything seemed a little more dull than usual. Glancing at the mirror, he spotted a ghost of a smile on his face. He was thinking of the better moments in the last month and a half.
    The way Sara would lead him to his place so they could dance inside. The way she looked at him, making him feel like he was on top of the world. She even shared a few of her worries and expectations, making him pause when she told him she was feeling a little crazy. He remembered comforting her through her “straitjacket feeling”, an interesting term he coined when he spoke with her.

After an hour, he grew restless and figured he could kill some time by watching a movie. . It didn’t matter that they were originally supposed to go to the movies later on. He could still go alone, and he didn’t need anyone with him to enjoy it. But just as he started to cheer up, he spotted her familiar, lanky frame by the door of the Cineplex.

“Sara? What are you doing here? Are you waiting for someone?”
    “I'm waiting for you,” she took a few steps forward almost reaching out to him. He stepped back, still feeling wary and a little confused.
    “Why?”
    “I thought a lot about those things I said before. The thing is… I didn’t mean them. Not really. I was just upset, and I’m sorry.”
    He stared at her. She swallowed her pride and looked genuinely sorry. But he was still unsure. He wouldn’t forget that easily.
    “You weren’t the only one who was sorry. But you have to understand that this whole jealousy thing is an issue. I wouldn’t flirt or sneak around with some other girl, and I thought you knew me better than that. When you’re able to trust me, maybe we can try this, but right now, we should take a break.
    “Greg… I want to make it work. That’s why I apologized.”
    “Sorry, but I can't take it. Your apology. I’ll see you around,” he sighed and walked inside the theatre.
    No one could blame him for what he said but he could still feel her eyes on him even as he sat inside and watched the screen.

Sara was sitting in the back row on the theatre, watching him as she thought about what he said. Tears pricked at her eyes and a few lyrics came to mind, of course it had to be one of Greg’s favorite songs…
    ‘When all you got to keep is strong, / Move along, move along like I know you do.
    And even when your hope is gone, / Move along, move along just to make it through.’

I almost thought I was home free, but then I spotted umbrello's suggestions. :lol: It's okay, though. I shall get started on them soon. I am always up for the challenge! ;)

4. hollie

hollie Pathologist

That was really good. I also love the All American Rejects so I noticed all the song titles. It was really sad though. :(

5. AmandaSzmanda

AmandaSzmanda CSI Level Two

Aww, sad, but good.

I couldn't decide between Panic! At The Disco, or Fall Out Boys next, but since I was listening to Panic! I picked them.

Introduction
    The Only Difference Between Martyrdom And Suicide Is Press Coverage
    London Beckoned Songs About Money Written By Machines
    Nails For Breakfast, Tacks For Snacks
    Camisado
    Time To Dance
    Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off
    Intermission
    But It's Better If You Do
    I Write Sins Not Tragedies
    I Constantly Thank God For Esteban
    There's A Good Reason These Tables Are Numbered Honey. You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet
    Build God, Then We'll Talk

A Catherine Willows Fic (No pairings nessicary, but if you do you should pick one in particular *coughCatNipcough*

I somehow want you to manage to have a dead girl named Amanda (I like when stories kill me off)

6. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Real world is going to affect how quickly I respond to these challenges. :( So I hope you will all bear with me as I take in any new challenges over the summer. With that in mind, here are two requests by umbrello. Hope you like them and thanks for the suggestions and positive criticism everyone! :D

Everyone in the lab heard about the LVPD Ball. While graveyard wasn’t officially invited, Brass and the under-sheriff encouraged them to attend. Even though the younger CSIs said they had other plans and politely backed out, Catherine was happy to attend, and she wanted to make sure Grissom would be going as well.

“What do you mean you’re not going?”
    “Exactly what it sounds like. I’m not going to a policeman’s ball. It’s mainly for the police officers.”
    “But you’re invited by the sheriff. You need to be more sociable, Grissom.”
    He held up a hand as if to say ‘enough.’
    “Come with me. I need a sort of… date.”
    “You don’t have to bring someone.”
    “Well I am and I bringing you! So I’ll see you tomorrow at seven and call if you need help with your tie,” she smirked and left his office.
    “She always does this,” he sighed.

On the eve of the ball, Catherine strode into the room, with Grissom slowly trudging behind her. She led him to the bar, hoping a few drinks would loosen him up.
    “Thanks for coming. Now all I need you to do is lose the negative attitude.”
    “Mmm hmm.” He barely paid attention.
    After Catherine downed a few drinks, she looked around the room, hoping to find Brass or even Sofia - anyone who would be more pleasant to talk to.
    The person she did see was not who she expected.
    “Grissom. Do you see who I see? Over by the corner?”
    He looked over and looked surprised. Never in a million years did he expect to see Lady Heather at a policeman’s ball. Let alone after what happened with her daughter recently. His curiosity was killing him, so he got up and walked over to see her.
    “Oh sure, leave me here alone,” Catherine sighed.

“Hello Heather.”
    “Oh. Hello.”
    “I didn’t expect you to be here…”
    “The sheriff invited me. He owed me a favor.”
    Grissom didn’t ask how exactly the sheriff got into the position of owing her a favor.
    “Alright. So…”
    “So…”

Catherine was slowly making her way to the pair, carefully listening to them and realizing that they were acting like two bashful teens at the prom. A few margaritas in her did wonders for her giddiness. The sparks between them, despite the silent awkwardness, was so obvious. She had to give Grissom a nudge. He used to tell her about Heather, and she knew that if anyone should needed someone to play cupid for them, it was those two.

“Hey Heather! I haven’t seen you in ages. Special invite from the sheriff, huh?”
    “Yes. Hello to you as well, Catherine.”
    The blonde smiled.
    “Well, I notice you were both in a deep conversation, so don’t let me interrupt you.”
    “Actually, we weren’t saying anything of much importance,” Heather responded.
    At that moment, a slow song came up and set Catherine’s gears wiring.
    “Don’t you just love that song?”
    “It’s okay.”
    “You two should share a dance. I mean, you said that you weren’t talking about anything important, so you guys should dance. That’s what this party is for.”

They were reluctant to move, so Catherine literally dragged those two by the hand and walked them out to the dance floor.
    “She’s very aggressive,” Heather spoke up when Catherine left them to dance.
    “Well, it’s her nature,” Grissom gave her an apologetic smile.
    Grissom and Heather danced to the slow song carefully, and still hesitant.

Near the end of the party, after all the speeches and congratulations were given, Catherine approached the couple with Brass beside her.
    “Hey, I’m catching a ride with Jim, so you don’t have to drive me back home, Gil.”
    “Alright,” he gave her an inquisitive look.
    “But I hear that Heather could use a ride,” she strongly hinted.
    “It’s alright, I can just take a cab,” Heather was trying to decline.
    Catherine didn’t let her, “Nonsense. You wouldn’t want Grissom to drive home all alone. I’m sure he would love to have you… in his car.”
    Grissom was feeling more uncomfortable and embarrassed by the second.
    “Alright, party is over, so let’s just go. I’ll take you home if you want, Heather.”
    She stared at him then nodded.

The two halfheartedly got inside, under Catherine’s watchful gaze. When they finally pulled out of the parking lot. They shared a look and finally burst out laughing.
    “You think Catherine was trying to set us up?”
    “What do you think?” she sounded quite a bit sarcastic.
    “I think we should try this again, without everyone else around.”
    She stared at him and slowly relaxed into a smile.

Up next a Lady Heather/Catherine friendship ficlet.

7. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Up next a Catherine/LH friendship set after Pirates Of the Third Reich. Hope you like how this one goes, even if it is kind of short. :)

“Hey. It’s been a while, huh?”
    Catherine was standing in the doorway of Lady Heather’s dominion. It was a surprise to both women, especially since Catherine stopped by unannounced, and managed to catch the former dominatrix packing up a few boxes.
    “Hello, Ms. Willows,” she didn’t let the surprise get to her.
    “May I ask why you stopped by?”
    The CSI smiled. And here she thought that she was the investigator.
    “I haven’t seen you in a while, and I heard from Gil that you’re finally getting around to putting Zoe to rest.”
    The dark haired woman simply nodded.
    “Is there any way I can help?”

Heather realized why this women stopped by. Truth be told, she did need some help with the arrangements, particularly the set up and appointments. Besides, Catherine was the closest thing she had to a friend. Grissom already offered his help, but there was only so much he could do, especially with his busy schedule.
    “Thank you, Catherine. I actually would appreciate the help.”
    The investigator smiled and joined Heather in the living room.
    “So, what were you doing before?”
    “I was going through some of Zoe’s things. Setting them in boxes and moving them around. I found a picture I could use for the funeral services.”
    She nodded silently letting her finish packing before waiting for instructions.

“Alright, I’m done here. Now I just need to make a few phone calls. Can you help me with that?”
    “Sure.”
    The two women divided the tasks; booking a day for the viewing, setting up an appointment with the funeral home, ordering flowers, and inviting quests. It took a good solid hour, but they managed to finish the phone work and moved on to picking out a headstone
    “This one is beautiful.”
    “Yes. I suppose it will do.”
    Catherine didn’t say anything. What could she say? Cheer up, things will get better? She just kept to the task at hand - helping this grieving mother.

At the end of the day, they were taking a break and drinking some coffee, at Catherine’s suggestion. They were quiet as they drank their coffee but Catherine soon became tired of all the silence. Heather needed to talk about things; she was becoming too much like Grissom.
    “Heather, so you need to talk about anything? Anything at all. I’m here for you.”
    “I’m not exactly in a talking mood.”
    “Alright. You don’t have to talk. I’ll talk and you can listen.”
    She stared blankly at her.
    “That’s if you want to listen. Heather, I lost my husband a few years ago. It was not easy, and I didn’t want to talk about it. Actually, I lost him around the time you were being investigated for that second case.”
    Catherine almost paused when she mentioned the second case but quickly apologized and kept going. She needed to get her point across.
    “Well, I just want to let you know that I know what it’s like to lose someone dear to you, and the best thing you can do is talk about it. It may help more than you think.”

The raven haired woman pondered over the advice she received.
    “I know it’s going to take some time but right now I need to handle this in my own way.”
    She still wouldn’t talk about it, but Catherine understood. She wouldn’t pressure Heather, she could talk about it when she was ready.
    “I appreciate the concern.”
    “No problem.”

The two woman went back to their respective silence. This time, they knew that they had something. A friendship and a sense of understanding.

I'm finally done. Wait... AmandaSzmanda suggested something! :p Okay, back to the 'drawing' board. ;)

8. hollie

hollie Pathologist

Those two were really good!!

9. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

I know you almost done but I got a suggestions! I saw episode called Boom last week, no shippers or no slash. Just a friendship between Nick and Grissom. After Nick find out that Kristy lied to him, he went to see Grissom and talk to Grissom that he was right all along about getting involves with Kristy. I know Grissom gave anybody a hug. I like to see that Grissom gave Nick a hug after the confession that Grissom and Nick talk. If you can't do it, I'll understand.

10. AmandaSzmanda

I'm always doing that, aren't I? Oh well.

11. Sandles21

Sandles21 CSI Level One

I haven't suggested anything in a while... I can't decide whether I want to request a sandles fic or a yobling fic... maybe both? Hmm... you pick, sandles, yobling or both, but I'd like it to have some sort of special stuffed animal that means a lot to one of the characters.

What did you mean when you said you were done???

12. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Alright, well I finally got around to writing the CatNip ficlet with Songs from Panic! At The Disco ( I love the song I Write Sins Not Tragedies ;)) Some titles were harder to work in than others, and you’re already dead in this ficlet. :)eek:) So, AmandaSzmanda, hope you like it.

BTW Sandles21, I haven’t seen you in a while. But when I said 'I was finished' I meant with the previous suggestions - but looks like I have two more after this. ;)

Brass looked up as Nick and Catherine finally arrived at the scene.
    “Meet the club DJ, found slumped over in the women’s bathroom. Used to go by the name Amanda, no last name known as of yet.
    “Yeah, thanks for the introduction,” Catherine replied with an air of sarcasm.
    “Some of the patrons claim she may have committed suicide. Others say she did it to gain attention. Suffering for a cause or something.”
    “Yeah well, maybe she figured the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is press coverage,” Nick looked around at the gawking spectators and scattered cameras.
    Catherine turned to look at him, “That sounds almost Greg-like.”
    “Doesn’t it also sound kind of deep?”
    “Don’t quit your day job,” she smirked.

Interviewing one of the last people who saw the girl alive proved to be a frustrating task for Sofia and Catherine.
    “London beckoned songs about money written by machines,” he spoke with a thick British accent.
    “O-kay… that still doesn’t tell us how this girl ended up in the bathroom of this place,” Catherine pointed out.
    “Some blokes were hanging around her, and she was brushing them off. Ask them,” he pointed out a few guys hanging around by the bar.
    “Now we’re getting somewhere.”

Catherine found herself rushing over to the lab. She was feeling terrible about the case. A young woman was just found dead in a club. She had her whole life ahead of her but know she was just another statistic. Catherine promised to find out who killed her. There was no doubt in her mind that it was foul play. She ran into Doc Robbins, hoping for a COD.
    “What did you find?”
    Looking over some x-rays, he responded in an almost fascinated tone, “Nails for breakfast, tacks for snacks.”
    She stared blankly at him, “Is that our case?”
    “Hmm?” he looked over to a file on the table, “Oh. No, sorry. In your case, TOD was about six hours. From what I can tell, she died of asphyxiation.”
    Catherine frowned and thought about what he said. There were no noticeable bruises or fibers found on the body. She walked over to the evidence room and explained her findings to Nick.
    “A camisado…”
    “Spanish. It means… shirt?” she looked at him in confusion.
    “Actually, it means a surprise attack by night. I’m thinking Amanda was attacked in the bathroom.”
    “But there were no marks,” she informed him.
    “Not visible ones. I reckon they slipped something in her drink which made it easy to subdue her.”
    “Something tells me this is more than just speculation.”
    Nick nodded, “Just got results from Trace. Positive for gamma hydroxybutyric acid.”
    “Date rape drug,” Catherine simplified it.
    “Yup. More than one person could have suffocated her, which goes along with doc’s theory of asphyxiation.”
    “Good theory,” Catherine remarked.
    “Just have to go back to the club and find our perps,” he gave her a sly look, “Time to dance.”

“She was a tease! She turned us down and some of us wanted to scare her… if you ask me, lying is the most fun a girl can have without taking her clothes off!”
    “Well no one asked you,” Catherine glared at the guy.
    “We didn’t kill her! She was alive when we left,” a guy put in.
    Their ramblings were cut off by a voice over the intercom blared, “Intermission! Cocktails now half-off.”
    “Let’s get these guys down to PD.”

Sofia and Nick were ready to question the three nervous looking club hoppers.
    Catherine was feeling irritated, “I want to interrogate those guys so bad.”
    Nick gave her a knowing look. She shared his look and sighed. If she got her hands on those chauvinistic jerks she would surely lose some of her composure, no matter what she told herself.
    “…But it's better if you do. So go get ‘em Nicky.”
    She stood behind the two way mirror watching the guys admit to the crime after very little badgering.
    “Dude, I cannot go to jail. I was barely involved!” One of the guys was very flustered, “I’m an English major; I write sins not tragedies.”
    Nick and Sofia gave him an odd look.
    “…I’m not crazy. Besides, my step-dad will bail us out you’ll see.” The ‘English major’ turned to his two pals, “I constantly thank God for Esteban. He’s gonna come through, you’ll see. That Amanda chick deserved what she got!”
    “Get them out of here,” Sofia motioned for the two officers to lead them back to their cells.

At the end of the night, two tired CSIs found their way to a new club. One would think that the grisly scene they saw in the other club would’ve turned them off to the idea but Catherine suggested it, and Nick was willing to comply.
    “Hey Cath, any reason why there are numbers on all the tables?”
    “There's a good reason these tables are numbered, honey. You just haven't thought of it yet,” Catherine smirked.
    Nick looked around and let himself relax. Before he could answer with his own suggestive comment, a particularly loud girl shouted, “Build God, then we'll talk!”

Everyone in the club just turned and watched her storm off.
    “Let’s go somewhere a little bit quieter,” he suggested.
    Catherine just smiled and agreed, “You read my mind.”

And Gilbert, I can definately do it! You used reverse psychology on me, so now I'm determined to write a response! :)

13. AmandaSzmanda

Hey, you made me sound so nice :p Liked it though.

As promised Fall Out Boy next (Decided to go with their newest CD)

Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued
    Of All The Gin Joints In All The World
    Dance, Dance
    Sugar We're Going Down
    Nobody Puts Baby In The Corner
    I've Got A Dark Alley And A Bad Idea That Says You Should Shut Your Mouth (Summer Song)
    7 Minutes In Heaven (Atavan Halen)
    Sophomore Slump Or Comeback Of The Year
    Champagne For My Real Friends, Real Pain For My Sham Friends
    I Slept With Someone In Fall Out Boy And All I Got Was This Stupid Song Written About Me
    A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More "Touch Me"
    Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying (Do Your Part To Save The Scene And Stop Going To Shows)
    XO
    The Music Or The Misery

(So I don't have Music or the Misery, thats only because I don't have the Japenesse version.)

Yes, you have to include the whole title of Get Busy Living...even the part in partentese (including that Summer Song part thing). And no spliting them up either.

Oh this one is a Greg and Sofia one written all over it.

Someone (Main cast) must do an Opera voice thing while saying one of those titles.

14. hollie

hollie Pathologist

I am loving AmandaSzmanda's challenges. Cause I mean of course, AAR, FOB, and P!ATD are my three favorite bands.

And I love all of these stories Hestia. You're an amazing writer!!

15. Hestia

Hestia Coroner

Thank you, hollie ;) Well, this ficlet takes place after Boom, and seeing that both Nick and Grissom went through some tough times (one involving Kristy and the other involving security officer Dominic) a friendship between them was actually not very hard, and I hope you like this Gilbert. :)

“You told me you weren't dating her.”
    “I wasn't till last night after I broke up her fight with this guy, uh ... Jack.
    “And Ecklie's at her house now.”
    “Yeah, and I can tell you what he's going to find. My fingerprints; my DNA.”
    “What were you thinking, Nicky?”
    “I wasn't.”

It was a terrible moment in his career; he was a prime suspect in the murder of a prostitute. On top of the embarrassment of his private life being exposed to most, if not all, his co-workers, Nick felt that the worst part of everything was losing Grissom’s trust. And his boss had good reason to distrust him. It wasn’t a great feeling. He was relieved that he was cleared but found himself wondering how this would affect everyone’s perception of him.
    Catherine reassured him, told him that Grissom is a professional and wouldn’t treat him any differently but Nick still had a nagging feeling in the pit of his stomach.

After the bitter confrontation between him and Kristy’s pimp, Nick found himself wandering around looking for his boss, if only to apologize and tell him about the wrap-up of his case. Would Grissom accept his apology, or would he just brush it off. Maybe he wasn’t even in the lab. He could still be out in the field. Nick kept his spirits up hoped for the best.

At that time, Grissom was eating in the break room. He just finished reading the front page of a newspaper, smiling as he spoke quietly, “Above the fold.”
    After hanging the article on the bulletin board he went back to his food, quietly thinking about the young trusting officer who risked his life in an act of foolish bravery. It was times like these when he wished he didn’t have this job. People did crazy things. And this didn’t just apply to the security guard. Even his own CSI admitted to succumbing to a moment of weakness. Luckily he got out of it okay, but Nick had to be more careful. As Grissom was about to leave, the very subject of his preoccupied thoughts entered the break room.

“Hey Grissom.”
    “Hello Nick. I’m glad to see that your cleared.”
    Nick found himself shaking his head, “Word travels fast.”
    “Especially from Catherine.”
    “I’m sorry.”
    Grissom gave him an intrigued look, “For what?”
    “I should’ve listened to you,” Nick told him.
    He seemed to think about what Nick said before replying, “It’s alright.”
    “I never wanted to jeopardize my job, and I never wanted to lose your confidence in me.”
    The older man nodded slowly, “Actually, we both have a lot of work to do in the listening department. I didn’t lose my confidence in you. I never did.”

That caught the young man by surprise.
    “Sometimes we trust the wrong people, and sometimes we distrust the right people. It‘s all about good intentions.”
    Grissom didn’t want to elaborate any further but his CSI got the gist of it. Grissom still seemed a little shaken after the explosion case.
    Nick realized his boss understood and simply smiled and nodded.
    “Thank you. For understanding.”
    “No problem.”
    He watched Grissom walk over to him and stick out his hand. It was an odd gesture, but Nick accepted it. Just when he thought things couldn't get any more odd, his boss pulled him into an abrupt hug. It was brief, and almost half-hearted but it was definately a hug.

“Uhhhh... thanks.”
    Grissom started to leave, so Nick called out, “I’ll see you tomorrow.”
    “Yeah. And try not to let this whole thing affect your work,” he replied quietly.

There was the boss he knew so well. Back to work, as usual. Nick gave a shrug and figured that was as close as a heart to heart he would get with his boss.
    But it did help, and Nick knew that Grissom meant what he said.

Things would go back to normal physically but their words and his kind gesture stuck in his mind.

Alright, so Sandles21's suggestion is up next then I shall work on another "CD challenge" by AmandaSzmanda! :cool: