Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there is anymore answers I can provide to you. I hope others are better at it and you are able to gain the understanding that you are looking for. :)

I haven't really been reading this thread until this page so I really don't know what has been said, but I have to say that coming from this quote, there is no surprise really. I don't particularly care for any ships and I don't know if you are for one, but your quote right here proves the existence of personal opinions. No one can explain this any further. When Eric and Natalia got together(I don't know what happened in this forum) I know so many people thought that it came out of no where and that there was no chemistry and blah blah blah. And this was mostly, of course, coming from E/C fans and a few people who didn't want any ship on the show. So now that E/C is together, all of the people of other ships don't like it and the probably the same people who don't like any ship had their say.

So what I am seeing is no progression. One moment its about how Eric and Calleigh have no chemistry, the next its about how they have loads of chemistry, and it keeps getting repeated. I really don't think that anybody can explain anymore because I don't believe that you can change someone's opinions. Some people are going to love E/C and some people are going to hate it.

I have to say, about the ratings dip, I have a friend who lives far from me, and she was so upset about how she couldn't view Miami because of some game on the network? I don't know if that would have an impact, but I guess if there was a game between two teams, that could result in two cities not being able to view it...maybe? I'm not really sure. And even I was sort of glued to the Bachelor since it was a first in history type of thing. I think we need to wait for another big E/C storyline to see how the nation views it.:p

And also, about changing the characters, I can see why because Eric was such a player and if they were going to get Eric and Calleigh together they needed to change that. I am sure no one wanted to see Eric play yet again on another coworker. I'm not entirely sure when they started developing the E/C romance, but I think there was an article about it with Ann Donahue.

Well I just hope everything with this show goes well. :)

Last edited:
I'm not entirely sure when they started developing the E/C romance, but I think there was an article about it with Ann Donahue.

Yes there is. But a lot of us have issues with Ms. Donahue's explanation of exactly when the E/C ship developement began. She, like every show runner, is going to say whatever promotes the current path. Past interviews where Ms. Donahue has shared information have resulted in sometimes less than accurate information.

As I stated earlier, the show runner/producer wouldn't be my first choice as a source of accurate information. They will say whatever sells the product. ;)

And a significant amount of time, money and effort has been spent selling the E/C hook up. So of course they are going to say whatever they have to that supports it.

Yes you are entirely correct. As I may recall, back in season four, there was an ongoing controversy about two CSI favorites who would be spending a night with each other and I think that was Ann Donahue that said that. And it turned out to be Eric and Natalia, and I can't recall ever even knowing Nat at the time. I guess Ann just wants the ratings to go up and personally I would too.

All I have to say about the actors/characters chemistry, that is their problem not mine. It's them who has to go to work and kiss each other and they have to do deal with it. But I wouldn't be complaining if I were in their shoes, with all that money coming in, I wouldn't want to get fired! :p

She, like every show runner, is going to say whatever promotes the current path.

I absolutely agree. The writers/producers do it, & so do the actors; & also.. none of them are going to give away future plots or arcs - the actors don't know about them for one thing, & TPTB are definitly not going to spill the beans on whatever it is they have planned for anything.
They always tend to pump it up as positive as they can in the media - then the shockers/surprises & twists that they don't want to readers/viewers to know about eventually ends up played out on screen.

Just as a reminder to everyone also - the title of this thread is E/C romance: why WE dislike it. It isn't the e/c fans vs. the non e/c fans.
There is no need for any one of us to have to keep explaining our reasons to the people who DO support this ship.
We have it here for non-supporters to discuss with each other the things we dislike about the couple/storyline. Please keep that in mind.

Speaking strictly for myself, I am going to try to explain "chemistry" as I see it.
When the E/C shippers talk about the 'great chemistry' between Eric and Calleigh, I tend to think they are talking more about expectations rather than real, believable chemistry. Eric and Calleigh have been working side by side since day one of the series, have been through a great deal together, and have always been there for one another, etc..... THUS TPTB IS OBLIGATED TO PUT THEM BOTH INTO A ROMANCE TOGETHER. PERIOD! END OF STORY! Whether it is believable or not.
When I tend to refer to 'chemistry' I am refering to some thing that comes across visually. Something that comes across visually that says "Yeah, those two would make a great couple in real life! This seems believable." I remember clearly when I saw the scene of Eric and Natalia in hallway way back in season 4. I think the episode was "Payback". The scene of them talking after their first night together. I was totally blown away. I almost tended to think "These two aren't acting!" To add some info on the scene, I found out later from the season 4 DVDs, in the director's commentary that that particular scene was totally improvised and unscripted! They let Adam and Eva make that scene up as they wanted. Sorry, but I don't see Calleigh and Eric being able to reproduce the same effect.

I totally understand what you mean there, Doublehelix.
EP once commented that when she was shooting a scene with AR (I believe it was in the beginning of this storyline) that when it was over she looked at the crew & asked "Did that look romantic?" :vulcan:
& here they were going over the kissing scene & she had to practice the kiss with her real life boyfriend.
Personally, I think when there is a true romantic chemistry that is always there & always HAS been there, it would come naturally for the actors to just immediatly "feel it" when they step into the shoes of thier characters. With e/c there's far too much acting going on.....if that makes any sense at all.:)

& here they were going over the kissing scene & she had to practice the kiss with her real life boyfriend.
Personally, I think when there is a true romantic chemistry that is always there & always HAS been there, it would come naturally for the actors to just immediatly "feel it" when they step into the shoes of thier characters. With e/c there's far too much acting going on.....if that makes any sense at all.:)
I didn't notice this thing at first, but you're right.
If you want to make something look realistic, you have to make it look, at least spontaneous.
I read lots of EP interviews and when she talked about the kiss JW gave her in 7x01 she didn't mention any practising, something she did with AR.
IMHO, even when you're an actress, you should be able to get that scene as ralistic as possible without any practicising.
I mean gosh it's a kiss, I do think that a kiss looks as much as realistic only when it looks spontaneous. Surely a person who has to practice in order to get that kiss as spontaneous as possible it's not that spontaneous :p.
I don't blame EP for this (actually I enjoy the fact she was able to admit it, not lots of actors are able to do it), I do think it has something to do with her "chemistry" with AR which is isn't that spontaneous.

IMHO, a a kiss on the set, is one of those things you don't have to practice in order to get it "realistic" like a car crash. I remember once in the old CBS website there was a writers blog & for "Going Under" there was this blog where they told EP trained herself in her swimming pool so that she was able to breathe while the Hummer was sinking.
A kiss is not you sinking with your hummer, it's something you should feel so you don't need any practising. She was able to feel it with JW twice (I haven't read anything about her practising for it. Actually she she said she was pleasily surprised by her second kiss with Johnny and you could sense it while watching the scene). We never saw her kissing Holt McCallany & maybe that's because she didn't have that great chemistry with the guy.
So yep I think the same thing is happening with AR. I don't blame neither EP nor AR for this. Sometimes there's no chemistry between 2 people & when there isn't , you can't create it ;)

The good thing about this fact is that now I know she has a boyfriend, I thought she was single :lol:

Last edited:
I don't know, me personally, I'd be practicing with the person I was supposed to have to kiss on-screen, not some third party. Kissing one person is not the same as kissing another. I guess for some people kissing someone you've been friends with for years is a lot harder than for some... a lot more awkward or whatever. For me, I think I'd be more comfortable if it was a friend than if it was with someone I didn't know. But, its not the same for everyone I guess. :lol: I just can't grasp how kissing one person to practice kissing another would work. the only scenario I see that working in is if a girl didn't know how to kiss and wanted to kiss a boy for the first time and having her guy friend teach her how to kiss before she kissed the boy she wanted to kiss. But, for this scenario, I just don't understand it. :lol: I would have had several other people there and would have practiced on the guy I was in the scene with and then asked the "audience" if it looked romantic enough. :lol: But, that's just me. :)

I actually heard from actors\actress that they training kiss scenes. But they training with actors\actress, with who they should play on screen, you know, they need time to get used to each other. But i never heard before about training with boyfriend or girlfriend, how she can say that it's training, it's her boyfriend, she shouldn't act at that moment :lol:

I agree with you Florry86, if you as actress didn't know anything about guns, you learns about them. If you should play underwater, you training in swimming pool, training your breath, etc. But it's feelings! Something that can't be training!

I actually heard from actors\actress that they training kiss scenes. But they training with actors\actress

I've never heard that before, lol. Not saying I don't believe you, I just have never heard it.

People can only be directed so much when it comes to acting out a love scene. It's an emotion, like crying, screaming, showing anger or fear - it comes from the actor/actress.
I don't see why anyone would need to practice for a kissing scene...sounds ridiculous to me. When these people get into thier character, they should feel like that person, & they should feel the emotion that that person is portraying in that moment.
I don't see that with AR/EP. They've been playing these characters for 7 years now - I would think if they had it stuck in thier heads this entire time that their characters had something more for each other, then it would've showed; & when it came time to play out the romance it wouldn't have been that difficult or akward 'cause they would have already felt it within thier characters' interaction for all these years.

One question: Why are there two threads about disliking ships? Because on the shipper thread, there is one and why was one created here? You could've just went there instead.

The dislike a ship thread was closed back in 2007 but was opened back up February 26th 2009, a day after this thread was opened. It very well could have gone there after the fact but there was an extensive discussion here - based on events that have transpired on the show which allows it to be in this forum - and the dislike a ship thread has since closed (for the second time), so no harm done. It's fine here. :)

And while there is a debate thread in SC, this thread wasn't meant to be non E/C fans vs E/C fans and focuses on canon events which again, allows it to be in this forum all the same.

Last edited:
Okay. I realize that I'm being a little picky here, but E/C are together now. Why is it that the writers feel the need to still have Eric "daydreaming" about what he wants to do with Calliegh?

And what the heck did it have to do with this episode? Nothing. It was put there to give a sugar rush to the E/C 'shippers.

And why do their little "romantic moments" have to be in slow motion with those stupid blank smiles on their faces? It really makes it harder than normal to watch.

They really aren't doing the characters much of a service with this trick. Will this relationship be maturing into an adult relationship anytime in the near future?

And my biggest nitpick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was my understanding (from the commentary on my first season DVDs) that food and drink are not allowed in the lab areas. Again, Calleigh as the senior CSI (which shouldn't even matter with a subject like this) should know better, but she brings Eric a drink in the lab - with that dumb, blank smile on her face - and in slow motion. :rolleyes:

I'm feeling your pain Delynn.
The daydream was completely unecessary & just plain lame, along with her bringing him coffee. They just do not pull this off well in my opinion - they look incredibly stiff & not what 2 people in a relationship would look like.
Why didn't they just have E & C having a conversation about going away on a trip? Why not have Eric just making a simple comment to her about it?! It all smells very fishy to me that we're constantly seeing more from Eric's point of view (rather his dillusions/daydreams) than anything from Calleigh.
Seems to me that Eric thinks he's in a safe spot with her & that everything is so hunky-dorry between them....why am I getting the feeling that this is the calm before the storm, & that Eric could very well end up with his dillusional bubble bursting?! Something about it is too "off".
~~~

Now for my biggest rant about this storyline/episode. WHY in the hell must we have e/c down our throats EVEN in scenes with the other characters?!? Give. ME. A. :censored::censored::censored: BREAK.
Ryan & Natalia have been my "relief" from all this & now I have to sit through them gossiping over it ....am I supposed to believe that Ryan would actually throw this out there to the one person that he KNEW once had a thing with Delko herself...I mean Come. ON. This is such bogus.
TPTB have felt they needed to milk this so much that they've manipulated every character, now even Ryan & Natalia... how tasteless can a scene get?!
~~~~~
Team interaction? Uhhh, where? It was e/c teamed up, & Ryan/Natalia teamed up, then Calleigh having one scene with Ryan, & Natalia having one scene with Eric. Team interaction, my @$$.
It was great that there was more screentime for the others...I will say that much...but overall the constant "pairing up" thing they continue to do is beyond ridiculous now - it's just more e/c in our faces.
How about some breathing room?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back