Eric/Calleigh romance - why we dislike it. **spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjszud

mjszud Captain

First off, before anyone attacks me for starting this thread, I have already gotten it approved from a Mod.

This is here for the people who don't wish to support the E/C romance, & here for us to discuss it. It is not intended to offend anyone, but there are some folks who don't like the pairing & if they would like to elaborate on thier thoughts then this is the place to do it.
    This is not out there to bring on heated debates. There are some who love the couple, & some who don't, & this is now the appropriate place to discuss it for those who DON'T.

Keep in mind the rules of the board when posting comments. No bashing, spamming, or trolling. Also, please be sure to back up any comments you do have about the dislikes of this pairing.
    ~~~~

I've always enjoyed the interaction between Eric & Calleigh as friends, however since they began this "exploring", I just haven't seen what I would expect out of a TV couple. I see a lot lacking from this pairing, & I've always disliked that they've had to go through all these manufactored deaths & tragedies just to "like/love" each other. To me, that is the furthest from organic that you can get.

I also don't enjoy that TPTB have pushed aside other characters & potential arcs all for the sake of this couple. There's been no team interaction, & even the interaction between Calleigh & other characters, & Eric & other characters have been simply been decreased next to practically nothing just so the writers could throw e/c into almost every single scene together, & then focus on them in every other episode.

I hate that everytime I click to view any material regarding CSI:Miami (interviews, articles, any media) that I have to constantly have this couple in my face. Even when the interview is with someone other than Emily or Adam.

Personally, I think having 2 lead CSIs in a romance is way too much for any crime show to handle. It has already taken over this show! TPTB have not managed to balance this story along with anything else other than Horatio drama. It's almost literally ALL we've seen in the past 2 seasons.
    I've had to sit through 2 dreadful years of them dancing around this subject that has never been at all subtle or in the background, so I really don't care to sit through ANOTHER 2 years of watching these two IN a relationship. I can only imagine how worse the team interaction & character balance will be. ;) NOT my cup of tea.

2. MaddyAnn

MaddyAnn Lab Technician

I'm sort of neutral on the E/C romance. I don't really support it but I don't hate it either. I simply have never felt the chemistry between them. But to me, it's a non-issue. I don't mind if they get together, because I know that makes a lot of people happy, and I know the feeling of wanting a couple to get together.

That being said, I don't want it to become this constant storyline that gets in the way of the science. I do feel that lately all we've seen is interviews and articles about their romance. For instance, I was excited to hear that CSIM was going to be featured on E!, but when I saw the clip it was all about E/C.

If people promoting the show could talk more about the actual cases and then throw in a few tidbits about character storylines, including but not limited to E/C, that would be great.

I'm glad that so many people are happy to see them together. For me, it just like...whatever. I would like to read more spoilers not relating to them, however. ;)

3. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

I won't bash or anything, but the only thing I find not fair about the show is that the other characters don't get enough air time. I agree on that, but not the E/C hating thing, that's all.

4. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

Seriously?! Even when Eric and Nat got together, people (even EC fans) were not this ridiculous. Just get over it. There are things with this show that I am not happy with but I still watch it. Why? Because I like the actors and I appreciate the writers actually listen to their fans. So all I have to say is that this thread isn't going to stop the couple, okay? And this show is NOT stupid enough to let the couple lead the show. Maybe every once in awhile they'll show some romance.

I'm not mad...:p

5. C.H.E.A.R.

C.H.E.A.R. Pathologist

^:guffaw:I'm just laughing my ass off reading this thread. Nicely said hahagirl. By tomorrow this thread'll have over 100 posts. I seriously can't believe that this whole thing is started over 1 single episode.

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Those who don't like EC shouldn't be told to "get over it". They have a right to be upset. It's kind of unfair for someone to come in and tell them to get over it and to say it's ridiculous for them to feel the way they feel. This thread was started so those who don't like this development in the storyline could have a place to vent so as to not offend those who do like it.

It was stated in the opening post not to bash other posters or post anything offending and I'm sorry but I honestly feel that someone telling others to "just get over it" and that they're being "ridiculous" is VERY insulting. It's like saying they don't have a right to feel what they feel or that they don't have a right to have a place to vent about how they feel.

It is NOT ridiculous to start a thread to vent about something one doesn't like about the show. The intention of this thread is to give those who are upset a place to talk about it without posting it in other places where everyone has to see.

Honestly, I can't say from personal experience whether or not people got upset when Eric and Natalia were together because I was not here then, but lets just say I have heard things about that time period that make me want to disagree. However, I can't fully since I didn't see it for myself.

For most the issue is not the pairing itself, but the way it has been written so far. In one ep we have Calleigh seeing Eric's thoughts about her on paper. In another ep we have her telling him he has to tell her what he wants because she is confused. In a following ep, he's telling her how he feels (or trying to) and she's saying "I didn't know you felt that way". Um huh? Then in another ep, he's keeping vigil at her hospital bedside. The following ep, there's not really much E/C interaction... then suddenly they're gonna be together? Some viewers feel that it's a bit erratic (the writing that is) like it's in one place in one ep and the complete opposite place in the next ep. It's all very confusing for some.

Well, I honestly hope you're right about that one. However, I'm going to have to wait and see.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  7. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

Uh yeah, you have a place for that and that is your ship's thread in Shipper Central! Trust me, people know what you say in those threads...they're not blind or anything. I'm not saying you don't have a right to feel the way you do, but, think about it, in 20 years will it really matter?! Just because the spoiler thread has a bunch of E/C news its like "OH! Way too much Eric and Calleigh! They should DIEEE!!" okay everyone gets it. not to start anything...just sayin' :cool:

8. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Talk about disrespect. ;)
    As I said above this post is not intended to offend anyone. You can laugh your ass off all you want, but this thread is for the people who don't like them, ok.
    I will not "get over it", & I do not have too.
    Whether or not it will stop them from being the couple is not my point here. The point is that some of us don't like them & we sometimes have things we want to say about them WITHOUT having an e/c fan jump in & down our throats for not sharing thier same opinion.

This whole thing didn't start just over one episode or interview. Some of us have had these thoughts since it all started & never had anywhere to speak freely about it.

If you don't like this thread, then I would advise you to just look over it. when browsing the forum. It is not here for you to come in & make smart remarks about our opinions.

9. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I'll admit that I have several issues with the E/C hook up. I guess my biggest issue is that it has caused me to loose most of my respect for the Calleigh character.

Someone on another thread commented that Emily's take on when the relationship started would have created the possibility that Calleigh cheated on Jake and Calleigh would never do that. In seasons 1-4 I would have totally agreed with that statement. The way Calleigh is now, I don't know that that I would necessarily agree. Tell me that when Jake kissed Calleigh in the lab and she got on the elevator and looked back at Eric that she didn't see the hurt and betrayal on Eric's face? Of course she did. And she left with Jake anyway and went on vacation.

Calleigh is Eric's supervisor. In that capacity she knows that a relationship is a violation of the fraternization policy of the department. The same was true with Jake. I can be a little more forgiving with Jake in that she wasn't his direct superior and she didn't work with him day in and day out. But still, Jake and Calleigh were in violation. Eric and Calleigh are in violation. So, if this relationship continues, who moves to another shift, Calleigh or Eric? Or will the writers simply rewrite the show's history just for Calleigh and Eric?

Calleigh has hidden and covered for any number of emotional and health related issues that Eric has experienced from Horatio - their superior. These issues should have been reported to Horatio the moment she became aware of them. That is her duty. When Horatio became aware that Eric was "seeing" Speed, he showed compassion and understanding. He told Eric to seek help (much the same way he told Ryan it was time to get his eye checked) and then continued to help him until they figured out what was going on. What is it Calleigh is afraid Horatio will do? These issues are dangerous to other officers who may have to work with him and should have been reported. It was irresponsible of Calleigh and tells me that placing her as second in command should be reconsidered. (And yes, I do know that Horatio has issues that should be addressed, but that is not what is being discussed here. And after reading here for a while now, Horatio's faults seems to be pointed out in great detail regularly.)

My respect for Calleigh took a serious hit when she read Eric's psychiatrist's files because the writers needed an easy way for Calleigh to find out how Eric felt about her. They sacrificed Calleigh's integrity because they couldn't think of a better way to do it. Calleigh has been in control of this relationship from the beginning with Eric trailing her like a whipped puppy.

I simply do not see the romantic chemistry that some people say they see. That doesn't make me less somehow than someone who claims to see some kind of chemistry. Neither does it make my feelings any less valid than an E/C shipper. I actually don't have a ship that I prefer, so I have no agenda here.

I miss the friendship that I so enjoyed with these two. Possibly the writers could have Ryan and Natalia fill the void. I've really grown to love these characters - along with Frank. God, I do miss the team!

I'd like to see a promo that isn't all about Calleigh and Eric. I'd like to see an interview with another member of the cast where they aren't hounded about Calleigh and Eric. I'd like to see anything having to do with CSI Miami that doesn't have to do with Calleigh and Eric. I'm really tired of hearing about Calleigh and Eric.

They've taken people who really didn't care either way and made them dislike this whole thing because of the constant bombardment!

So when people tell me if I don't like it just "go away", I think about how I've been a loyal and faithful viewer of this show since the first episode and huge fans of both David Caruso and Emily Procter for a very long time - long before CSI Miami. They were the reason I began watching CSI Miami.

For me to loose respect for Calleigh is a huge disappointment for me.

I can promise you that it is not just a few people who are not thrilled with this hook up. I'm the only one left of my family and friends who still watches CSI Miami. I doubt that TPTB, CBS or the show's advertisers really want everyone who has an issue to "go away" and if you think about it neither to the E/C shippers. You might not have a show left if the ratings take a dive.

I'll probably just record the show and fast forward through the E/C shipper stuff.

And when I stop watching CSI Miami, it'll be my decision and not because someone has told me to "go away".

10. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I have too. TPTB wanted so badly to draw this thing out that they managed giving her traits that have never meshed with her characteristics. She's been played very inconsistantly & appears to not completely know what she wants from one day to the next.

It kinda makes her look like she has an ego trip, which is something I would never have before in my life associated with her character, but given that now she's fallen for Eric (so we're supposed to be believing in this next episode) it makes it look like all her actions in the past 2 years was like a game to her.
    When she initially chose to be with Jake (proven in 'Dangerous Son') she didn't at all appear to give a hoot how it would affect Eric.
    Then onto season 7 & she's still telling Jake she's waited for him for the last few months, again Eric is not even a mention.
    The ball was always in her court, yet she later threw it back on Eric (in Head Case) as if it was all up to him.....like he needed to prove something more to her.
    What more did she think she really needs - then she goes onto ditch him & the team at the bar & goes off with Terrance the Horse guy?
    Now suddenly after all her so-called "trauma", Eric says nothing different than he had before & acted no different than he had before yet this is where we're supposed to believe what magically changed her mind.

She's appeared very wishywashy to me, & in all honesty I've never viewed Calleigh to be that flaky. She seems to be proving me otherwise now by her upcoming decision.
    IMO, she has never once even appeared to be in love or even close to being in love with Eric. It all looked like pure sympathy coming from her part; she acted more like a concerned friend who didn't want to hurt this man in such a delicate state from his PTS.
    Her actions have completely baffled me, & I can't quite feel the respect & sympathy that others do for her. Her tragedies alone feel too "made up", & I've never thought it was necessary to do that to a character just for the sake of developing her with a man.

11. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I ship EC so I probably shouldn't even be in here, but I have to say that I agree with the people who are saying they hope it doesn't take over the show. I certainly hope the show doesn't completely revolve around them after the next episode. Even I as an EC shipper would hate that. It's fine for them to have personal lives and an episode here or there, but we can't forget about the CSI aspect or the other characters either.

I'm just going to wait and see what the rest of the season has in store before I even get really excited over this. For all we know it could be a huge disappointment, with their relationship, or with the rest of the show because of them. *shrug*

By the way this thread reminds me of the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread on the NY forum. :p

12. Hollyyo

Hollyyo CSI Level Two

Well, though I am an EC shipper *don't hurt me!!* I do agree with a lot of what you said. There are characters that could have more/better stories if they weren't so focused on this ship. Like...what happened to Natalia? She's never there anymore! I guess they just feel like this relationship is more important than the other characters.... :(

I am happy they'll finally be together in the next episode, but the whole situation has been kinda made more important than the whole show itself.

But I have a feeling that after next week it won't be so blown out of proportion. Hopefully there will just be little mentions here and there, but it will all be balanced out.

13. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Just want to clarify a few things and this is directed at no one in particular.

1. This topic is regarding events appearing on the show, past and present. So it's allowed in this forum. On the same note, dislike threads are allowed just the same as tribute threads; we're not going to censor them.

2. Remember: You're responding to the post, not the poster. Let's not make this personal, let's keep it civilized and respectful. In the long run, this is just a television show with fictional characters and like I said in the Spoiler Lab, if we can't keep it civilized in here, then perhaps one should put the keyboard down and go outside for a while. It's not life and death.

Also, this isn't about 'so-and-so should really be with so-and-so because they're much hotter together' because that's material for Shipper Central. This is about this specific storyline development brought forth by TPTB.

I'm sure there are some interesting perspectives in here regarding the recent developments and I certainly look forward to reading them. :)

I was kind of reminded of that as well, heh.

14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I just want to repeat what I said earlier in the spoiler thread. While I have my own frustrations about this storyline, I AM HAPPY for the E/C fans that they get to see their favorite pairing play out on-screen. Just because I don't happen to share the love of that pairing doesn't mean that I can't be happy for those who do. :)

--

The reason some felt this thread was needed was because they were being told not to discuss E/C in opposing ship threads. :)

Please point out to me where a post actually said they should die. I've NEVER seen anyone say that.

Another thing I wanted to address is the question about would it really matter twenty years from now. Answer: No, it won't and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter now. However, there are some things that are frustrating for some people and they need somewhere they can vent those frustrations.

-----

Actually, I don't think Calleigh and Jake knew about that rule at first. At least that's the impression I got. If they knew a rule like that existed, they probably didn't think it would apply to them since they didn't work together day in and day out like Calleigh and Eric do. Still, I'll be interested to see if that rule comes back into the storyline. I'll also be interested to see how both Calleigh and Eric respond to it.

I wonder about that too. She has to know that Horatio isn't just going to go "okay Eric, you're fired because of your health issues". I really don't know what she's afraid of unless it's not Horatio finding out that she's afraid, but someone else (IAB perhaps?).

That bugged me a bit too. But, I don't take issue with the character over it, I take issue with the writers. Calleigh of a few years ago would have seen Eric's name on that sheet and promptly put it down without reading it IMHO. I think the writers could have found another just as effective way for her to discover his feelings for her.

I don't either personally, but I guess it's like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. :)

Personally of all the friendships of the current characters, my faves are the Calleigh/Ryan friendship and the Natalia/Valera friendships. But, I have a sinking feeling that in ep 720 (Ryan's story arc), the writers are going to destroy the Calleigh/Ryan friendship. That makes me sad because I really do love their friendship. I know some ship them as more, but I just love them as friends. To me Calleigh and Ryan have always seemed to have a very sibling like vibe. It's very playful and caring. And I loved the ep where Nick Townsend died and the way that Natalia and Valera were standing up for each other. That was great and I really miss those types of interactions. I really do hope we get to see more of that in the coming months.

I totally agree. Personal lives are fine, but shouldn't be the only thing shown. Hopefully the writers will balance it all out.

And that I'm sure is the biggest issue people have with this whole situation. While we used to have scenes with three or more CSIs together, now we only get mostly two of them. Most of the time its C&E or C&R and once in a while Ryan and H or Ryan and Eric. But, they've for the most part obliterated any scenes with Eric and Natalia. Okay, I get that the two of them are no longer a couple and are now just friends. And that's all fine and dandy, but what is the harm in showing that friendship more? The scenes involving the two of them have been few and far between this season. Sure I liked them as a couple, but I also enjoy their friendship. I don't think its too much to ask to see more of that friendship. If Eric wants Cal and Nat's okay with that, then what is the harm? I'm not saying we have to see them going to the movies together or anything, but working a scene together would be nice once in a while, that's all I'm saying.

15. Half

Half CSI Level Two

I don't mind the ship. I post in their thread. The problem is that it is entirely possible that TPTB will put too much emphasis on their relationship, which is where my hesitation comes in. I hope that Miami doesn't do what CSI and NY have made the mistake of doing, by putting too much emphasis on one couple. That's my only problem with E/C: I'm worried that it'll end up being too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.