Episode #501 'Rio' ***RE-AIRING DEC 4, 2006***

Re: Episode #501 'Rio' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

goldnhart said:
I didn't care for the show much. I'm more interested in crime solving than in character plots.
And, please, cut it out with the split-screen effects!
Oh, I remember when I used to love crimes being solved...I was so excited when this show first premiered and I got to see TWO of them per week. Five years and a dozen shows later, I have to turn on Law & Order repeats to regain that feeling.

But you're right about the split-screen effect. That's getting on my nerves.

1) Why why why did they have to make Snake Woman a CSI? She's in the opening credits now so I guess she's not going anywhere. They better give me more Ryan and Calleigh scenes if they want me to continue watching this show after this!

2) HC almost had an emotion! Damn. So close.

3) Rio looked really pretty!

As for that knife fight scene. All I could do was say to Eric "Kick him to the balls!"
"COME ON! In this situation they alwaus kick to the balls!"
"Oh man you suck, THE BALLS! KICK!"

:rolleyes:

Here's my review of Monday night's episode, RIO.
4 STARS.
I bet...CORRECTION...I KNOW I've watched where I recorded it more than I ever watched where I recorded the first episode of season 4. I just hope season 5 stays on this track and doesn't veer off into blah-ville...which is where season 4 started.
Rambling here: I'm still planning to buy season 4 when it comes out on DVD even though I don't care much for it or even remember 1/2 of it.
Back to RIO. I could've live without the Natalia story. It slowed the show down more than I care for. That's why I gave RIO only 4 STARS instead of 5.
More rambling: What I wouldn't give for CSI: Miami to LOSE NATALIA BOA VISTA.
Well, including a couple of ramblings, that's my review of RIO.

Honestly it could be simple as they were surprised (about Ray being alive) but if they thought about it probably figured out that his death was faked and from there it really wasn't much of a surprise. Or the Grapevine works just a little to well. :D
Very true D, but it really wouldn't harm if the writers would give a nod to this kind of thing now and again. A brief reference would go a long way to restoring some of our faith in the writer's understanding and awareness of what has gone before. They only seem to focus on the here and now. When we get a rare continuity reference that isn't contrived, it really stands out. I guess it's just one of those niggly things that gets to me. ;)

When I watch other TV shows that indicate a very good understanding of continuity, I find myself wishing that CSIM could manage that too.

Can I just say a word in defence of Ryan? I haven't seen Rio, but I have seen S3 and some of S4. It seems to me that although Ryan has made mistakes, they were mainly oversights (like not finding the blood on the tie in Addiction) or misjudging what to do (like taking the blood sample to the courthouse in Recoil). I think they were just a result of learning how to do a new job. And to start with, he did say he just wanted to do a good job, not impress anyone (can't remember the exact words from Under the Influence).

They've all made mistakes in one way or another (Delko lost his badge, Valera put the rape victim's data in the wrong place, can't remember any specifics for Calleigh but she's all over the place when it comes to her father). Horatio is, of course, a saint and therefore infallible. Natalia, on the other hand, sounds like she's screwing up from the word go, making snap judgements.

Like I say, I haven't seen it, and won't for another year *cries*, but I can understand Ryan getting irritated with Natalia, and I don't see that his kettle is as black as her pot. What do you think?

schizojuc said
They better give me more Ryan and Calleigh scenes if they want me to continue watching this show after this!

Well, in all honesty, my favorite character doesn't get ANY screentime anymore because he was killed off, so that won't stop me from watching the show. I normally don't complain about the amount of screentime for every character anymore. - I took it for granted before and I won't do it again. Anything I can get, I'll take. ;) - But to each his own.

As for Natalia screwing up, we all expected it. :rolleyes:

Everyone also seems to be using age as an excuse for H's weight gain and, I'm sorry, but the amount he has packed on is not excusable at any age. Last season he was puffy besides, perhaps ill, but this year I didn't see any puffiness. Is he trying to self-destruct? He is the star of the most watched show on the planet and he doesn't care enough to hire a trainer and look the part? Pul-eez!

Maybe it's not excuseable as people seem to think but, I'm sorry some of us at that age are no longer thin as people think we should be. :) I'm sure he has his reasons which to me is none of our business. :D Maybe he use to smoke & quit. :) You do gain weight from that. ;) Could be other reasons for it. Who knows. :lol: As far as I'm concerned he looked better in Rio than I saw him looked the last few mos. of S4. :lol: Hmmm yes, he is the star of a most watched show. So what? :lol: If the man wants to look as he does(which to me he sure doesn't look that bad) that's his business. :rolleyes: I think it's kind of insulting to make the comment about getting a trainer and looking the part. :devil: I didn't realize he was suppose to live his life according to our standards. :rolleyes: :confused: HMMMM. Okay enough drama for now.

As far as Natalias concerned get off her case. :) Everyone else in that lab has screwed up one time or another & noone got upset. :D Look at Ryan. :devil: To me it's been all about him since day one. He's had his share of them. Eric & the pot. Calleigh telling her dad to take a drink to cover up what he thought he'd done.

Why is it okay for them to make mistakes but Natalia can't? Oh, because of the mole thing I guess. Pls, time to lay that to rest. Give her a chance like the rest were given. You just might be surprised. :D

As far as Natalias concerned get off her case. Everyone else in that lab has screwed up one time or another & noone got upset.
Er, plenty of fans here have got upset in the past about other characters screwing up. ;) If people want to criticize a character, that is fine, as long as people attempt to back up why they feel that way. We can't ask fans to 'get off' a character's case just because we disagree with their opinion. Please respect the opinions of others. Afterall, this is a discussion forum and everyone is entitled to express how they feel. Thanks. :)

I haven't seen the epi - and it will be some time before I do, but there may be other factors involved in Ryan's attitude. Yes, he was hurt over the Natalia episode, and he probably felt used, but there was the effect on the rest of the team.
Horatio gave Ryan a chance when he (Ryan) was expecting to be rejected because of his OCD ("I've just lost this job, haven't I?"). H has confidence in Ryan, is aware he's going to make mistakes but (I think) he's aware of the potential. So Ryan has a very strong sense of loyalty to his boss (as well as admiring his competency).He used Ryan to try to 'smoke' the 'mole' out...and that put Ryan in an incredibly difficult postition, especially when Alexx became aware the the story of optic nerve damage was a line to find out if she would pass information on. (Both her and his reaction in that scene was heartbreaking). He loves Alexx as sort of big sister (can't say 'mother', Alexx is far too young), and to cause her such pain would have been almost intolerable for him.
He obviously adores Calleigh, and he has respect for Eric (in spite of the battles because of all the testosterone flying around) - anyone who threatened the team would be in for a hard time.
As for him not forgiving people easily, he soon folded in 'Nailed', Eric ended up giving him a lift home.
When the Natalia/ex-husband epi is shown, I wouldnt be surprised if Ryan helped to protect her from him.

Well, I've reading your posts. I think Natalia can make mistakes (yeah it's me CalleighWolfe who's telling this, nobody abducted me or something :lol:) 'cause she's new. Ryan is always making mistakes (I don't like that either). I think we're less tolerant with Natalia because of the mole thing, I didn't like that, and I don't like her now, but let's wait some weeks, give her a chance (far from Ryan's love of course ;)).

Don't we have to open another thread to talk about going under?

I edited my post and put it on spoiler tags, after reading the warning post, sorry again :(

And I've read something about her husband being in the show, I don't like at all, and it's not because it's her husband, I don't like story about the bad husband 'cause is so common I'd have expected more from CSI (any CSI).

Just a reminder - this thread is for discussion about the episode 'Rio'. If you wish to mention future spoilers, please use the Spoiler Code or allow spoiler space.

We post the discussion thread for the next episode a few days before it is due to air. Until then, please post other spoilers and speculation in the Spoiler Lab thread. Thanks. :)

Well I too think that when doing anything new that a person is bound to make mistakes because that is the way you learn. So as much as I don't really like Natalia (used to watch her on All My Children) I am ok with giving her a chance to maybe become a good friend as well as a good CSI. Calleigh seems to be trying to give her a chance.

As for Horatio killing the druglords---after he killed Riaz (I think) on the helicopter pad, he saw the Christ figure on the hill and I don't think he knew what he did was right but revenge is a powerfull thing. I like most of you do wonder about the whole authority thing with Brazil. It seems to me not right to just be able to walk away with no worries, I mean not even the drug gang was there to take care of things.

But alas it is season 5 and it is just starting......

Missing said:
As for Horatio killing the druglords---after he killed Riaz (I think) on the helicopter pad, he saw the Christ figure on the hill and I don't think he knew what he did was right but revenge is a powerfull thing. I like most of you do wonder about the whole authority thing with Brazil. It seems to me not right to just be able to walk away with no worries, I mean not even the drug gang was there to take care of things.

But alas it is season 5 and it is just starting......

I don't think people would have noticed Riaz's death before a couple of days. I mean it seemed a fairly isolated place. The interesting thing is gonna me in my opinion, whether we see more of the mala noche, trying to get Horatio bac for killing their leader...

pS: Great finish for Rio!

Well you think they (Mala Noche)would since they are such a powerfull gang. I mean you don't just kill the leader and not have someone avenge his death but then again this is Miami.

Back