Episode #501 'Rio' ***RE-AIRING DEC 4, 2006***

Re: Episode #501 'Rio' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

The episode had it's highs, lows and it's even lower lows.

What bother me the most was Yelina's dress... It was the same one - she must have stank. That's all I could think about.

Was it just me or did Calleighs' shirt change color or was I just not doing well on the color chart?

Megan

snickergeek said:
ray jnr killed someone off and didn't become punished in anyway... later H would tell he did it to protect the boy.

Actually Ray jr didn't kill anyone.

And Megan, I noticed the same shirt colour thingy too.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Horatio kill Ruiz in self defense? I don't recall him actually walking up to the guy & knifing him. I thought he came at Horatio. I just wished they's kept with the Brazil story & left Miami alone. Or like someone said stretched over into a two parter. Man I was ill they killed Ray off again. Writers. BRRRR.

When S3 ended nobody knew Raymond was alive except, H, Yelina & Ray Jr. So why were Calleigh & the lab not surprised by this info?
Good point, but the continuity on Miami is so poor, that it would have surprised me if they had reacted to this news as if it was out of the blue. ;)

well i thought the episode was just beautiful when they were in brazil, the opening shots of horatio were just great. not to mention he was looking as good as ever.

as for ray jnr, first thing i thought was wow - doesnt even look like the old character and i also thought maybe that's why they didn't bring back dean winters as ray snr because they were just killing him off anyway and you couldn't tell who it was in the face because of all the injuries and things, plus with him being busy with his other show i suppose. but.. i felt it in my stomach when horatio was with him while he died and he stood up and told him he loved him in a very serious voice before turning and walking out.

..boa vista as a CSI?!!? that is just unbelieveable concidering she was selling out the lab just last season but now she's part of the team, yeah that's quite acceptable. but i did love calleigh keeping it professional in the lab while the boss is away, and ryan's comment about natalia's ex husband being a bastard?? HARSH! but it did indeed strike a little smile across my face.

i didn't really get any closure out of horatio killing riaz because there was really no words exchanged and it just didn't do it for me, i could have thought of better ways to avenge the one who killed my significant other

all in all i might have liked this better had it been split into a two parter to fit more storyline in and perhaps not make it seem like H is in posession of super powers to slow down time and speed across the atlantic ocean back to miami in 10 seconds whenever he wants

i also kind of thought the "fight" scene between delko and riaz was corny and a bit ridiculous looking. XD

9/10

The shots of Brazil were really great. :) The comparison of the shots to Miami were beautiful .:D

Horatio did seem cold. Too cold for his character. Horatio is supposed to be sympathetic, even if his wife did die (and his brother). But I guess they are looking for something different this season.

Yelina was back (and I hope back for more)!!! But, why didn't they give her a special guest star credit instead of just a 'starring' credit? Hmm. :rolleyes:

I'm really starting to notice the differences in all the different Ray Jr.'s :lol: :p Can we just stay with one? And, did he or did he not have fake legs? :confused:

Added on to the opening credits, but we see less Tripp then we did last season. Boo! :mad:

Overall, a pretty good episode! xD

*sigh* Okay I was thinking of good points, but I don't have any left. I've been trying to defend the show all day in my head, and it didn't work. :lol:

One big issue these writers have: CONTINUITY. I suggest they re-watch all the episodes front to back, and get to writing a real episode before I puke.

And for God's sakes. Did anyone notice the COLOUR of this episode? I didn't think Brazil was situated on a RAINBOW. Had I known I was watching a Skittles commercial featuring David Caruso and Adam Rodriguez, I would have changed the channel long ago.

Man. I wrote a full review last night, but before I could post it, we blew a fuse and all my words went byebye. Then, I had to fight a vicious battle with the VCR to rescue my tape when it tried to eat it. Cue moment of absolute panic when the picture flickered out and the horrible squeaking sound began..but I saved it. So: recreating the review. It's still really long.

Most of my original post complained about the lack of emotion. The second time I watched the episode, though, I managed to see it. Especially at Ray's death - I was SO disappointed until I discovered that the trick is tilt your head about 100 degrees in order to actually see Horatio's expression. Once I did that, I thought it was incredibly moving, and watched that part about a dozen more times. All these years, I waited and waited and waited for a scene that would make me finally stop hating Ray, and appreciate the bond between the brothers. Mission accomplished! (come to think of it, I'm not sure there was a way to make that happen without him dying)

Speaking of Ray, my original one-line summary of the episode went like so: *bashing head into desk* Don't...have...words...to...describe...incomprehensible...stupidity...of...Raymond Caine...
I read all the spoilers and thought there must be a way to explain his involvement in drugs, because that was THE WHOLE REASON his life got screwed up the first time; that's the reason Ray Jr. almost got killed LAST time, and that's the reason they had to flee to Brazil at all! At what point did he think it would be okay to come within a hundred yards of the drug world? I mean...so! Stupid!

Knife fight on the hilltop! (Hey, am I crazy, or did H & Delko not carry guns in Brazil?) When I saw him grab the knife, my hopes for revenge swirled down the drain. I figured there was no way H would be so primitive and violent as to stab someone. I even fell off the bed laughing at the sight of him hunched over, knife in hand.
And then he actually did it. It's a good thing I decided to stay on the floor, or I would have fallen off again in SHOCK. Seriously. My eyes couldn't possibly have opened any wider. I mean, you can call it self-defense, and Riaz pretty much ran into the knife, but...Horatio stabbed him. Now I'm a little scared. And when he slowly turned his head and looked up to the statue, practically mesmerized by it, that was powerful. Possibly sort of cheesy and melodramatic, but I'd rather see it as powerful. Methinks perhaps revenge didn't bring the closure he thought it would.

Um, was it just me, or did Yelina's "Oh my God, where are you? Honey, I'm in Miami..." line sound straight out of a bad fan fiction? Otherwise, I thought she was great. Loved every scene with her in it, especially that first one - "You sent us here to give us a clean start. I'm sorry." Awww...sad.

Now that Yelina's back, I'm pretty sure I can get over mourning Marisol in a hurry, but all the same I liked that opening montage - clever way to do a "previously on."

So: I liked that ending, because it was sweet and simple. Quite pure. I also predict about half a season before the UST kicks back in. And by "predict," I mean "cater to my whims, PTB, just like you did when I begged you to kill Ray and send Yelina back to Miami."
-------------
Lastly: the lab. UGH.

Destiny said:
Overall storyline, honestly it felt compacted to me, if they were to have done it in a two parter or their 90 min way it might have felt differently
Oh God, YES. That's what I felt, more than anything. They WHIPPED through all the scenes. Worse, they took a really great lab storyline, good in both case AND personal ramifications, which would have made a great episode, and smashed it up in about ten minutes. What a waste.

When Ryan was bitching Natalia out, I couldn't help but think, "Hey Ryan, remember the first time you met Erica?" Does he remember how recently HE switched disciplines and joined the team? Even I thought he was out of line, bringing up her husband. But here's what I said as I giggled helplessly: "Oh, the vicious Natalia hate makes me happy! Oh, she absolutely doesn't deserve it...BUT IT'S AWESOME."

I was on the verge of liking her last year, as a glorified lab tech and semi-romantic-interest for Eric, but seeing her as a CSI just gets under my skin and makes me twitch. I don't want her to be on screen this much. It's like...dear God, it's like Sofia on the original CSI. *shudder* It causes me PAIN to hear her step up all bright and chipper and casually announce a case. It just sounds so fake.

Overall rating: 8 (as in "9, but minus 1 point for whole the stupid lab story")

Ok, who else thought the "B" case sucked?
*Watches as people everywhere raise their hands*
I expected better from a case that had Calleigh on it.

I think this episode could've used some help plot wise. I mean honestly, it felt like I was watching a television version of a bad fanfiction.

Yey for Yelina being back! Now she and H can get together and we can forget that Marisol existed.

I probably could've ignored all the nit-picky stuff like Yelina's dress, different Ray Jr. Actor etc...and enjoyed this episode if not for one thing: They made Boa Vista a CSI! What were they thinking?! What were they smoking, it must've been good if they thought that was a good idea. Honestly, why make Natalia a CSI?(Or as I like to call her, Jaws. Cause just when you thought it was safe to watch Miami again, there's CSI Natalia.)

You know you're watching CSI: Miami when at the end of one season you're pretty sure you know what the writers are going to do and then you find out they've done the exact opposite. Last season I was all like, "Yey, they'll get rid of Jaws cause she's the mole" and then Ryan said "I can't believe they made her a CSI." I actually almost left the room to go watch season 1 where things made sense and life was simple (And had Speedle :))

And to all the people who think Ryan was out of line, look at it from his perspective. He was in love with this girl and she pretty much ignored him in favor of Delko, so Wolfe's bitter, resentful and angry at her. Of course that statement kinda begs the question 'why wasn't he mad at Delko who took his girl'? The answer is that she screwed Eric over too, because she was the mole. Sure, Ryan was being a hypocrite and he was outta line but she deserved it. She did make that judgement call on the husband. She saw dead wife with a composed husband nearby and immediately thought, 'he did it' and you can't do that, you have to be objective, not judemental.

I kinda felt like Ryan was channeling me last night, because everything I was thinking about Natalia came outta Ryan's mouth. It was kinda creepy actually.

Delko and Riaz's knife fight scene was so stolen West Side Story, but that's ok cause everybody loves Eric (especially in his neoprine suit!!!)
I loved that H shanked Riaz! He didn't just stab him, that was a shanking! (And my favorite part, if you couldn't tell) Although, I don't think it was fair that Delko did all the fighting but H got to shank Riaz. Oh well.

Shame on you writers, shame on you. A caffine-addicted thirteen year old fanfiction writer could have done a better job at making this episode more believable.
(No offence intended to any caffine-addicted 13-year-old fanfiction writers, I was one myself a long time ago.)

Personal Rating: 7.5 (It woulda been a ten because of the shanking, but Jaws being a CSI made it drop.)

Isn't there a time zone difference between Miami and Brazil?

I have to check my phone to see if it would make a difference. Hold please.

Okay, right now it's 8pm in Brazil. So... it's only a two hour difference, but still!

I'm just a freak who was thinking about this on my way home from the movies.

Megan

Flackscountrygrl said
I actually almost left the room to go watch season 1 where things made sense and life was simple (And had Speedle )

I like the way you think. :lol:

It's funny because at the same time the premier was on, 'Tinder Box' was on A&E at the same time. I was oh so tempted to change the channel. (The fact that one had Speedle didn't hurt either. ;) )

The quality of this episode certainly had action, but it lacked in some places. - Mostly everything EXCEPT action. I could use a little less please. I actually thought the case B was a breath of fresh air, despite Natalia being made a CSI. Personally, if she can bring something good to the show as a 'CSI', then I'm all for it.

I'd still like the writers to go back to the Season Two format, but hey, baby steps. ;)

DaWacko said: Yeah, agree there. Still looked damn expensive house for three :lol: Besides... if Y had Ray, why H would need to support them? :p
D...want more of my questions? :lol:
Hmm :lol: That could be simple maybe Y didn't know about the money maybe he was giving it to Ray Sr. to get him started on what was suppost to be the straight and narrow. Course it could be he co-signed a loan that helpped them out as well. But as your question about Y and Ray, cause Y had Ray and well he isn't the most responsible of the family if she used any savings she had which may not have been much, The house was beautiful but she had a nice house in Miami to, maybe she sold that one add to the savings, still might not be enough, so H helps them out until "Ray" is back on his feet making what they probably hoped was an honest living.

Hmm Depends on the questions. :lol:
DaWacko said: What amazed me more... Y was wearing the same dress in Miami what she had in Brazil :lol:
Hmm okay they were in a rush if it was a private transport they may not have had time to pack and with all that was going on didn't have time to change. Unless Y has more then one dress that looks like that. :D
katpin31791 said: Excuse me for repeating myself *cough* again. As I've stated as far as I'm concerned Peter was the mole. How else would Monica? know alot of things that she did before Natalia arrived. Ryan & the rest of the bunch need to get over it and use their heads. Besides as I recall when Ryan first showed up he was out trying to make a name for himself by trying to impress everyone. Please leave Natalia alone and let her do her job.
Oh I agree we talked about this once that it was suspious that calleigh didn't blink an eye when Pete made the comment about it, but according to Natalia it was on a local level, and Petey boy is a fed, I agree that he feed Monica info but I still wonder if it wasn't someone else in there, I mean look back to when Stetler started that IAB file on H, he had to have had a source, and I don't think it was Monica, Peter or Natalia. :D
katpin31791 said: I loved the ep last night except for one thing. When S3 ended nobody knew Raymond was alive except, H, Yelina & Ray Jr. So why were Calleigh & the lab not surprised by this info? DUH!!!!! Somebody goofed somewhere.
:lol: Because silly no one is surprised by anything anymore J/K. Honestly it could be simple as they were surprised but if they thought about it probably figured out that his death was faked and from there it really wasn't much of a surprise. Or the Grapevine works just a little to well. :D
midnight_tiptoes said: I like how Calleigh handled it, with professionalism. She doesn't like Natalia but still tried to be a grown up about it.
I didn't get that at all from Calleigh, I got the fact that while she can't change what has happened, she is will to let it go and start fresh, and both times (this ep and the finale) she could have given off the "I don't like you vibe" but its not her way, it seems to be that she has decided that Natalia needed another chance same as they all have gotten.
midnight_tiptoes said: I wanted Natalia to slip on her high heels at the crime scene and get blood all over her pristine white pants. Sister, you're collecting blood, not serving cocktails at the Queen Mary. Dress appropriately!
Sorry but how many times has Calleigh showed up in white or really light colors and there were several in which she was wearing heals.
speed_cochrane said:
The quality of this episode certainly had action, but it lacked in some places. - Mostly everything EXCEPT action. I could use a little less please. I actually thought the case B was a breath of fresh air, despite Natalia being made a CSI. Personally, if she can bring something good to the show as a 'CSI', then I'm all for it.
I totally agree with what you said.

Also adding I agree that Continuity isn't the shows biggest assest, I am also guessing that they figure that by leave some stuff out they can pick it up at a later time, if they choose to. Thing is according to the season finale, things would be said that could be taken back, other then Eric accusing Natalia (because he was ticked off at her) of using sex for info (though provided no proof of what info was given from him to be worried about it or ticked off). The premise of that storyline didn't really happen until this ep, when Ryan making comments that in any work place to the boss was out of line (thank you calleigh) and then to a co-worker again Pot meet kettle.

*Shutting up now. :lol: *

I really liked the visuals in last night's ep, they really made Brazil "jump" and thankfully they didn't wash it all out in the Miami orange glow.

Most of my criticisms have already been mentioned many times already. So I'll refrain from being overly repetitive. I was, however, pretty floored by Boa Vista becoming a CSI. Where did that come from? It remains to be seen whether this is a good or bad thing, but when she was grabbing DNA off the cell phone SIM card, she seemed downright at home. *hint, hint* While Ryan's remarks were really funny to watch, I thought that Calleigh was classy. She put Boa Vista in her place without sounding like a whiny kid. I've always liked Calleigh and I hope they emphasize her character a bit more this season.

Wow, H killed two people in this episode. That does seem excessive, even by Miami standards.

Sigh. I didn't think so much of this episode. I don't think they used the Rio sites to very good advantage. I also noticed that their sound equipment didn't pick up all that well either. What was the point of filming at the base of the statue if it had nothing to do with the story?

Everyone also seems to be using age as an excuse for H's weight gain and, I'm sorry, but the amount he has packed on is not excusable at any age. Last season he was puffy besides, perhaps ill, but this year I didn't see any puffiness. Is he trying to self-destruct? He is the star of the most watched show on the planet and he doesn't care enough to hire a trainer and look the part? Pul-eez!

However, I have noticed that CSI, in general, seems to stumble on the first episode of the new season so I'm more than willing to overlook this little problem. I'm still hoping for a decent wardrobe, and, who knows, maybe someone will get DC a stationary bike to use between takes.

I do agree that Natalia is not a very likeable character. Do we really need her on the team? I'm all for Wolfe giving her grief, too. Irritate her some more, guy! :-*

Yay for Calleigh advancing to Lieutenant! Hey, props! What the matter? Couldn't find an extra gold badge to give her?

I don't think I'm asking too much of the show that brags about how hard they work to look wonderful!

I didn't care for the show much. I'm more interested in crime solving than in character plots.
And, please, cut it out with the split-screen effects!

Back