CSI books.

Discussion in 'Merchandise' started by Daquien, Jul 19, 2005.

1. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

I'm pretty sure that Max Collins has stopped writing CSI (LV) books ... mostly because I've started writing them for Pocket Books. I finished the first one (IN EXTREMIS) a few weeks ago. Assuming the manuscript gets final CBS-CSI approval, the book should be available in bookstores sometime in October, 2007.

As an aside, it was an interesting experience to work with thoroughly defined and otherwise well-established characters ... a little 'restraining' at times (I've been in the habit of causing my protagonists a lot more grief in my previous thriller novels than CBS-CSI would allow), but fun because it gave me an opportunity to focus my efforts on a nicely-evil and exceedingly dangerous bad guy.

2. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Which of the CSI series do you like best to write for, as to scenery, characters, style?

3. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

Given my recent (international) work in developing CSI techniques to investigate damaged coral reefs, CSI-Miami would probably be a fun backdrop for CSI stories; however, Pocket Books only hired me to write CSI-LV books ... and the fact that I used to work CSI (as a deputy sheriff/criminalist) out in the Mohave Desert (San Bernardino, CA) makes it easy to incorporate sand, rocks, cactus thorns, and an assortment of desert critters into the stories. As for the characters: I spent a lot of time watching and listening to the DVD episodes in order to get the 'voices' and mannerisms of Grissom, et al, correct, so I'm perfectly happy to stick with the Las Vegas team for a while. Of course, it all depends on my ability to keep the book-buying readers happy, curious, unnerved, horrified and occasionally scared. :)

4. Dynamo1

Since Pocket Books allowed some Star Trek book series with new characters, would they or CBS/Alliance allow you to create a new CSI team in a different city? Or would you want to?

5. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

I'm sure any new CSI team would have to be approved by CBS et al. Not something I'd really be interested in doing ... mostly because I can create new characters/teams/scenarios with my other thriller book projects, and not have to worry about being true to established series/protocols. So far, it's been fun to run Grissom, et all, through their paces ... and to see how difficult I can make their lives without transgressing on the TV episodes.

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

That's great news, good luck with it. And thanks for posting the information it was really helpful and very interesting. :)

7. mj0621

mj0621 Pathologist

:D just wanted to say i finally got the csi:ny deluge :rolleyes: took me a while to get to it but it was worth it. when is the next one coming out? and is there a new csi(lv) coming? is it by Max A. Collins too?

8. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Yes, there should be a new one coming out later this year but not by Max Allan Collins. If you take look at the previous page of this thread (page 11) you'll find some further information about the book and the author. :)

9. mj0621

mj0621 Pathologist

^ thankies :D not M.A.C. eh? that's interesting.

10. csi_chick

csi_chick Victim

I've got like 8 CSI books. I've only read 2 of them so far. I have(they're all LV):
    CSI: Snake Eyes
    CSI: Body of Evidence
    CSI: Sin City
    CSI: Binding Ties
    CSI: Grave Matters (and yes it is grave matters cause i actually looked at my books)
    CSI: Double Dealer
    CSI: Killing Game (i've read)
    CSI: Cold Burn (i've read and it was really awesome)
    I know this has nothing to do with the subject but i gotta tell you guys. I also have the board game, the extension to the board game, the facial reconstruction kit, (and i reconstructed it already, it was loads of fun) the DNA lab, a calender, 3 CSI t-shirts, 3 CSI sweat-shirts, (one of them is a wind breaker that looks like the ones that they actually wear in the show) and season 1 and 2 on DVD (hoping to get the others soon). Oh, and i've seen all the episodes and know them from heart. I can quote a lot of the stuff off the shows and my mom calls me a CSI freak. :rolleyes: lol :lol: :D

11. KRAD

KRAD Dead on Arrival

The next CSI: NY book after Deluge will be out in May of next year. I know this because I'm in the midst of writing it right now. :)

It's called Four Walls, and will include a double murder in a prison on Staten Island and a homicide in an Italian bakery in the Bronx.

12. Dynamo1

Welcome, sir, and [​IMG] live long and prosper. Looking forward to your book. Any personal preferences on favorite CSI series or characters? Any forensic cases on the Enterprise being planned?

13. KRAD

KRAD Dead on Arrival

:lol: No, no plans for forensic cases on the Enterprise right present. (For those of you who don't know, I've written a dozen Star Trek novels, as well as a bunch of Trek short stories and eBooks, with more of all three on the way...)

Actually, my favorite CSI series is the original, of the three, but I was tapped for the New York series in part because I looooooooove writing about my hometown.

I think my favorite character on any of the shows is Don Flack.

14. Dynamo1

But Mac will not be using a tricorder to speed up DNA tests?

15. KenGoddard

KenGoddard Hit and Run

You don't think they're fast enough already (in the fictional CSI sense)??? If us fictional CSI writers make the analytical tests any faster than they're already portrayed, the real-life forensic geneticists (and other forensic scientists) will really start to flop around on the floor in dismay/outrage. But then, too, it's always nice to encourage the forensic researchers (ours specifically included) to come up with better/faster instruments and protocols. :)