Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Re: Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Threa

Thanks Tala and chelliyah. I've been a long time member of the Locker Room and I remember the thrill of googling this guy's name and stumbling across a message board thread populated by like-minded girls who also found him intriguing enough to bother doing an internet search. All the shower scene talk is fun ... for a few months until the novelty wears off. For me, that novelty is long gone. As a moderator, I'm on this board multiple times every day and was truly about to start banging my head against the wall. And many Locker Room old-timers stopped posting for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, the moment I see Danny reach for a shower facet, I'll bust out the TiVo remote and watch each droplet of water cascade from his finely chiseled physique in slow-mo, but until then it's great to move beyond his looks and I'm glad to see a fair number of you are game for that.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kimmychu said:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top41 said:
I'll go in with lookaboomerang on the romantic comedy just because I love them! As long as he's cast with someone he actually has chemistry with, I bet he could be cute in that.

*cough*EddieCahill*cough*

You know, if Carmine really wants to play a gay street hustler, I can think of a tall, dark handsome guy who really should play the guy shelling out cash for the services he provides...
Alright, forget intelligence here. Let me just say Oh Hell, Yeah! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Have you guys read On the Road by Jack Kerouac? Carmine would make a great Sal Paradise as well. It's just too bad the role already went to someone else... I think.
I have read it. It's one of the those books everyone should read, even if not a lover of Kerouac, but simply for the significance of his work in that it launched an entire movement in American literature. I agree Carmine would make a great Sal Paradise. Kinda like a more intelligent Gundy. And we all know he absolutely nailed that role.

Who knows, maybe he still could be Sal Paradise. God only knows what's happening with that film. I believe Francis Ford Coppola was originally on board to direct with Brad Pitt in that role. Now Walter Salles is directing and Brad Pitt is no longer attached.

Would also like to see what charcter he wrote for himself in Brink of Black.
There is nothing I would love to see more than that! While it's often said that the eyes are a window into a person's soul, and I don't disagree, I think a persons writing is another window into their soul. Carmine has said Danny is 40% him. I think seeing him perform something he wrote for himself would give powerful insight into that other 60%.

Nevertheless I'll jump in and make one point which is that he is a natural and utterly convincing actor - you cannot believe that he is anyone other than the character he is portraying. Unlike, say Dustin Hoffman who always makes you aware that he is acting; all those irritating little tics and twiches that function to remind you how of his [insert heavy sarcasm] supreme acting talent *sigh*....
:lol: That's true. Those annoying to watch little Dustin Hoffmanisms are present in all his work. :lol: Carmine does a great job of changing his body language to match the character. Gundy and Danny are polar opposites.
In LRC, i think the way Danny handled the whole lindsay fobbing him off story, very well. Yes, it was out his normal self, but i like it. It intrigues me as to why he has changed so much in a little time.
I'll be honest. I thought that scene sucked big fat donkey balls. Not for the acting, but for the writing. I'm all for having a character mature over time, but c'mon, does anyone ever buy that "It's not you, it's me" bullsh*t?
i can honestly not see myself being turned off by Danny Messer, by what ever he does. The whole "mafia" thing that might have gone on with his family - it jus adds "more fuel to fire" as they say lol i know a while ago someone mentioned about Danny's past, and about conflicts he may have had with his father, and i definately want to see some thing exciting come through for Danny from that situation. I think it will be a great situation / Issue to deal with, as we know what kind of a hot head Danny has been in the past... it will be interesting to see how it affects him, and any future he may / may not have with Lindsay.
I love Danny's backstory and can't wait for more of it. The mafia thing definitely isn't any sort of turn-off. You've gotta respect people for making choices that enable them to rise above their upbringing. Choosing the path of righteousness isn't the easiest thing. As for Lindsey, that girl seems to be weighted down by her own issues to such a degree that it would be ludicrous for her to judge someone else's issues.

chelliyah said:

The whole "mafia" thing that might have gone on with his family - it jus adds "more fuel to fire" as they say lol i know a while ago someone mentioned about Danny's past, and about conflicts he may have had with his father, and i definately want to see some thing exciting come through for Danny from that situation. I think it will be a great situation / Issue to deal with, as we know what kind of a hot head Danny has been in the past... it will be interesting to see how it affects him, and any future he may / may not have with Lindsay.

That "mafia"-thing is interesting. It has a big effect on Danny and he can left this episode of his past behind him. But he tries to handle that as good as he can. That's one of the things that makes his character so interesting, I think.
His relationship with Lindsay is another interesting point. But I think that Danny loves her more than Lindsay loves him. (We in Germany are in season 2, so LRC wasn't on air yet) Would like to know more about how they're going on...
And I think, I would be great to see how Danny's relationship to his brother Louie will develop.

I agree about prefering bad guys cool and calm. By a homicidal maniac I was picturing something calmly psychotic like Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear, Kevin Spacey in Seven or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. I think Carmine could kick ass in a role like that.
Thank you, MrsG! I'm bowing to you, because you understood the concept I was attempting to convey. Do we share a brain, or maybe a brainwave? :lol: I'm not saying Carmine should portray stark-raving lunatic. I'm thinking more along the lines of cool, calm and collected sociopathic menace, always out of reach of law enforcement. Deniro in Cape Fear is a perfect example. :)

^^Same. I was thinking of that quiet homicidal maniac protagonist who out-thinks the hero rather than going stark raving mad. Hannibal Lecter, not Michael Myers.

I'll be honest. I thought that scene sucked big fat donkey balls. Not for the acting, but for the writing. I'm all for having a character mature over time, but c'mon, does anyone ever buy that "It's not you, it's me" bullsh*t?

A little OT, but I literally put up a wall to keep my co-workers away today (cubicles really suck) and I used that line on a post-it. "It's not you, it's me." They laughed. It's an awful writing crutch to use that line under any circumstances and, sorry, chelle, but that was one of my top ten worst scenes for Danny over the last three seasons.

His portrayal of Danny though, is golden because he owns it. The best thing about Carmine's acting is that he inhabits these characters so fully that you really believe that he could be that person in real life. Except for the "noo yawk" accent. Can't seem to get rid of that! :lol: He owns every inch of that drama queen and it's a beautiful thing.

I can see this is going to be one long 'me too' post.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
I agree about prefering bad guys cool and calm. By a homicidal maniac I was picturing something calmly psychotic like Robert DeNiro in Cape Fear, Kevin Spacey in Seven or Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. I think Carmine could kick ass in a role like that.
That was the sort of scary intense sociopathic individual I had in mind of too. I don't want to see him in slasher pics, thank you :lol:

Tala said: Have you guys read On the Road by Jack Kerouac? Carmine would make a great Sal Paradise as well. It's just too bad the role already went to someone else... I think.
:blink: Funny, MrsG and I were just talking about Kerouac on pm. Talk about coincidence.

Twinkletoes said: I don't really feel qualified to participate in this thread as my knowledge of Carmine's acting is based almost entirely on his role as Danny.
Danny counts!! You want to talk about Carmine's portrayal of Danny ... you are qualified :) Jump right in, Twinkletoes, the water is fiiiiiiine. ;)

MrsGiovinazzo said: For me, that novelty is long gone. As a moderator, I'm on this board multiple times every day and was truly about to start banging my head against the wall. And many Locker Room old-timers stopped posting for the same reason.
Hear Hear. I'm not even a 'long-timer'. I didn't last long in there. Any sexual response I have to anyone (or anything) is more earthy and sensual than what I see expressed in there. People just have different ways of expressing themselves and "OMGhe's2hawt*drool*" is not my style :lol: I'll leave that to the more youthful people on this board :D

There is nothing I would love to see more than that! While it's often said that the eyes are a window into a person's soul, and I don't disagree, I think a persons writing is another window into their soul. Carmine has said Danny is 40% him. I think seeing him perform something he wrote for himself would give powerful insight into that other 60%.
Oh yeah, beautifully said :) My thoughts on the subject exactly. It's so way more deeply personal.

i don't think i would like to see him in a fluffy, fuzzy romantic comedy. i picture him in a dark comedy w/ a romantic interest- Grosse Pointe Blank comes to mind. he seems to have a wry sense of humor and that would fit him better.

speaking of shitty performances he was awful in that submarine movie (sorry the name escapes me). it was like he was just phoning it in, but then again if i were in that movie i would phone it in also. :(

honestly speaking--i haven't watch ANY film that Carmine did. *my bad* so I don't know if I should even contribute to this thread--but hey--there's always a first, right? so Moderator if I'm wrongly posting--I won't mind the deletion...

but I really do love him on CSI:NY hence my facination...I like it when he becomes so diverse in one scene being all tough guy then throwing off quips easily in those one-liners that makes you smile. i mean, it's true that script writers should be given the credit for the words the actor utters, but it takes talent to be able to pull it off properly for the audience to react.

if Carmine says that he's more a dramatic actor than a comedic one--then fine let him focus on that. but i'm thinking it's because he's not given a good script in the comedic field that he can really test the waters well...again I didn't watch the movie that he plays Gundy in so I can't say if the script was good or what...

i read a review somewhere coining his acting ability to Kevin Spacey and Harvey Keitel--so here I am trying to picture him in those actors movies...um--sorry but I don't agree. I could see Carmine fitting more in the shoes of Jack Nicholson--I could really see him doing a Jack Torrance in The Shining rather than Lester Burnham in American Beauty.

seeker said:
honestly speaking--i haven't watch ANY film that Carmine did. *my bad* so I don't know if I should even contribute to this thread--but hey--there's always a first, right? so Moderator if I'm wrongly posting--I won't mind the deletion...
You're not posting improperly at all. Welcome to the thread. This isn't limited to his film work. Feel free to discuss any of his work. TV, film, art, music, whatever.

i mean, it's true that script writers should be given the credit for the words the actor utters, but it takes talent to be able to pull it off properly for the audience to react.
Exactly. If you've ever read a script, the words that are spoken are on the page, but the delivery is what the actor brings to the role. A lot of the nuance that brings a character to life -- facial expressions, mannerisms, emphasis on particular words, body language, etc. -- are the actor's work.

read a review somewhere coining his acting ability to Kevin Spacey and Harvey Keitel--so here I am trying to picture him in those actors movies...um--sorry but I don't agree. I could see Carmine fitting more in the shoes of Jack Nicholson--I could really see him doing a Jack Torrance in The Shining rather than Lester Burnham in American Beauty.
Really? I think he could either of those roles really well. He's a little too young to pull off the Lester Burnham tired and disillusioned husband thing convincingly, but the overall essence of the character is something I think he could do. That freedom of spirit Lester finds in himself. Yeah, he could do that. Light up a fatty and tell his wife to bite him. No prob. Of course, if your only frame of reference for his acting is watching Danny each week, that probably would be difficult to see because Danny and Lester have literally zero in common.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
Thanks Tala and chelliyah. I've been a long time member of the Locker Room and I remember the thrill of googling this guy's name and stumbling across a message board thread populated by like-minded girls who also found him intriguing enough to bother doing an internet search. All the shower scene talk is fun ... for a few months until the novelty wears off. For me, that novelty is long gone. As a moderator, I'm on this board multiple times every day and was truly about to start banging my head against the wall. And many Locker Room old-timers stopped posting for the same reason. Don't get me wrong, the moment I see Danny reach for a shower facet, I'll bust out the TiVo remote and watch each droplet of water cascade from his finely chiseled physique in slow-mo, but until then it's great to move beyond his looks and I'm glad to see a fair number of you are game for that.

Here, here. There's only so many ways you can say someone is hot. It's always been the character of Danny for me...not so much Carmine, who seems like a perfectly decent person, but I know much less about him than Danny. Danny is an intriguing bundle of good intentions, insecurities, neuroses, and emotions that make him utterly fascinating. I love discussing the character. I'd enjoy a shower scene as much as the next girl, but I love to see Danny put through the emotional wringer just because it reveals interesting facets of his character.

Interesting--I don't believe I've heard that quote before. Where/when did he say that? Even 40% is a lot of oneself to put into a character. As I've said before, I love Danny's passion, and I'd have a hard time believing an actor just going through the motions could convey that range of emotion. I'm not surprised there's a lot of him in Danny.

^I'm with you on that, MrsG and Top. Whereas the Locker Room was great fun when it got started, you can only say so much for a time before the topic grows stale. I really have nothing much to contribute there. Carmine's hot, sure, and I am a fan of the guy in one way or another... but how much can you really discuss about someone you don't actually know? and it's hard to talk about Danny now since I'm not up-to-date with the latest season quite yet.

I have to add at this point that I am glad the LR is still around. It's proof that even if we old-timers don't hang out there as much as we used to, the love for Carmine/Danny keeps growing and is being expressed by new fans as each day passes. :)

Top said:
Interesting--I don't believe I've heard that quote before. Where/when did he say that? Even 40% is a lot of oneself to put into a character. As I've said before, I love Danny's passion, and I'd have a hard time believing an actor just going through the motions could convey that range of emotion. I'm not surprised there's a lot of him in Danny.
I didn't know he said that either! Nice. I only remember something about a lot of him being like Danny and a lot of him not being like Danny.

Going back to the topic of roles... I've only seen Carmine as Danny, and clips from his site as Gundy and the rest of the lot. I adore Gundy. Lookaboomerang is right about that character having the most quotable lines EVER! "Oh yeah, while we're getting acquainted I'd like to have you both know that I'm going to be trippin tonight." :lol:

But I'm blown away by Danny. I can only say, thank God Carmine is focusing on television right now because it's a guarantee we get to see him do something new every week.

And he even makes reruns worth it.

Did I mention Season 3 will only be starting here in April? Sigh.

I think the interesting thing to see will be how long Carmine stays playing Danny. I know he's said in interviews that he'll stay as long as they want him but he's clearly keen to work more in movies and on such a tight schedule, even with the summer break, it must be tricky to fit film work in.

Then again, he must be aware of the dangers of leaving a successful show only to plunge into near-oblivion - he's got David Caruso as a permanent reminder of that :lol:

But he's at the top of his game at the moment, it must be tempting for him to leave rather than become inexorably associated with one thing, "the guy from CSI:NY", however good and popular the show is.

Top41 said:
Danny is an intriguing bundle of good intentions, insecurities, neuroses, and emotions that make him utterly fascinating. I love discussing the character. I'd enjoy a shower scene as much as the next girl, but I love to see Danny put through the emotional wringer just because it reveals interesting facets of his character.
I wholeheartedly agree with that. To me, watching Danny go through the emotional wringer is a thing of beauty. It's kinda peeling the layers off my favorite character to see what's inside and those are the scenes in which Carmine absolutely shines.

MrsGiovinazzo said:
Carmine has said Danny is 40% him. I think seeing him perform something he wrote for himself would give powerful insight into that other 60%.
Top41 said:
Interesting--I don't believe I've heard that quote before. Where/when did he say that? Even 40% is a lot of oneself to put into a character.
When I first saw this question, I thought, "Shit. Now I'm gonna have to go back through every damn interview I've ever read to find that." :lol: I'd never make a statement without being able to back it up if called into question. But low and behold, watch my freakish talent for retrieving random info from the back recesses of my brain. Northwest Herald, May 12, 2006. You can read the interview here. :D

I have to add at this point that I am glad the LR is still around. It's proof that even if we old-timers don't hang out there as much as we used to, the love for Carmine/Danny keeps growing and is being expressed by new fans as each day passes.
The Locker Room is a precious piece of Talk CSI history that must live on and I'm glad that it has. Most of the girls who were there in the beginning have scattered, but I know many of us have made friendships that transcend this board and we stay in touch outside the Locker Room. That's a beautiful thing. And I love seeing new faces pop up and then seeing references to discussions in PMs and noticing the friendships developing between the new girls before they eventually move on. It's kinda like watching new classes of school kids. Eventually everyone graduates and moves on, but before then they have fun, learn a few things and make some new friends.
Did I mention Season 3 will only be starting here in April? Sigh.
:( You non-US fans have it rough.
I think the interesting thing to see will be how long Carmine stays playing Danny. I know he's said in interviews that he'll stay as long as they want him but he's clearly keen to work more in movies and on such a tight schedule, even with the summer break, it must be tricky to fit film work in.
That will be interesting to see. On one hand, I think he's a very smart guy who realizes that if he sticks with the show for as long as it runs, he'll have the financial security to do whatever he wants with the rest of his life after the show. On the other hand, there's an interesting progression one can see in his interviews, with particular reference to video clips from red carpet arrivals and such. Season one he looked excited and giddy as hell. Grateful to be there. Season two he looked a little calmer, getting into the swing of things and adjusting to his new life. Almost enjoying being there. Season three he looks tired and worn down. Doesn't want to be there. Unless he finds a way to center himself, my guess is that if the show runs for 10 seasons and he sticks with it the entire time, he'll lose his freakin' mind. Of course I don't know the guy or what he goes through. That's just the way some of the video clips look to an outsider.

Then again, he must be aware of the dangers of leaving a successful show only to plunge into near-oblivion - he's got David Caruso as a permanent reminder of that.
:lol: No kidding. Wasn't the guy selling t-shirts in, ironically enough, Miami before CSI:Miami? :lol:

But he's at the top of his game at the moment, it must be tempting for him to leave rather than become inexorably associated with one thing, "the guy from CSI:NY", however good and popular the show is.
I think that's always a dilemma for stars of big primetime series. Maybe he'll be able to make a name for himself in other avenues during the course of the show. For example, the way Jennifer Aniston established herself in film while "Friends" was still running enables her to continue finding work while some of her co-stars haven't been as fortunate.

I hope he does whatever makes him genuinely happy though. Sometimes truly creative people aren't meant to be confined for too long. They need freedom to soar.

That's a very interesting topic, I really love this thread.

I personally agree with you, MrsG. As grateful as he may be I can't see him sticking around for too long. We're talking about a man who likes to write, paint, make music and probably can't sit still for too long. It's just his nature. Give him a couple more years (crossing my fingers that the show will last that long) and just like he's using every single minute off the set to work on other projects right now he'll feel the need to do more. Be in a movie, maybe direct one. Explore other possibilities.

Btw, I read that interview you linked, which is fairly recent, and he still says "I don't really mix into the Hollywood scene. I'm kind of a loner." That's one of the things I love about him. :D

The day Carmine quits being Danny, is the day I die a little inside. :lol: Seriously though, I've NEVER had to deal with the cancelling of a favorite show or someone leaving before I was ready for them to. I really don't want to start with CSI:NY. Does anyone else feel like they care about a TV show a little too much sometimes? :lol:

Season one he looked excited and giddy as hell. Grateful to be there. Season two he looked a little calmer, getting into the swing of things and adjusting to his new life. Almost enjoying being there. Season three he looks tired and worn down. Doesn't want to be there. Unless he finds a way to center himself, my guess is that if the show runs for 10 seasons and he sticks with it the entire time, he'll lose his freakin' mind. Of course I don't know the guy or what he goes through. That's just the way some of the video clips look to an outsider.

He's been talking since the beginning that he has to find a way to center himself or he's going to lose it though. I don't think he's necessarily tired of it. It just seems like it's a job that's constantly in your face 24/7 and I think that I'd start looking tired and worn out also, when it's the same long ass schedule, day in and day out. Yes, he did sign on for this, but I don't think you ever know exactly what's in store for you upon first glance of things like this.

lookaboomerang said:
Does anyone else feel like they care about a TV show a little too much sometimes? :lol:

Sometimes? Make that all the time! :D
That's the reason I know from experience that you hardly survive the cancellation of a show or a character leaving. It hurts too damn bad.

Back