Carmine Giovinazzo Discussion: The Non-Locker Room Thread

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by MrsGiovinazzo, Dec 28, 2006.

1. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

PLEASE READ THIS POST IN ITS ENTIRETY BEFORE POSTING

It saddens me to see a fan base fragmented, with some fans frequenting other sites to fill a niche not met here. Many fans whose comments I truly enjoy post here infrequently due to the lack of maturity in The Locker Room. In an effort to draw that traffic back to this site and retain some valuable members, I am opening a new thread. Before you roll your eyes at the thought of yet another Carmine thread, please note the ways in which this one is different.

This thread is intended for intelligent discussion of Carmine’s work. If you’re a diehard fan who is familiar with Carmine’s work and are prepared to discuss it, this is the place for you. On the flip side, this is NOT the place for fangirl fantasies, squeals of “OMG! He’s 2 hawt!!!,” posting of tank top clad pictures, etc. There are other threads for that. I’m not saying to stop talking about his ass. By all means, please discuss those taut orbs of perfection ‘til you’re blue in the face in The Locker Room and continue to post your evidence of it’s beauty in The Drool Thread. This is not to devalue those threads or encourage inane discussion there. The more intelligent the discussion in all threads, the better.

Also, while it’s true that there is no such thing as a stupid question, please don’t post your stupid questions here. :lol: For the newbie fans, there are plenty of veterans on this site who can tell you that the cat on Carmine’s website is his or that he has been known to respond to fan emails, etc. We’re all more than happy to bring you up to speed, but please post those types of questions in The Locker Room.

This thread will be moderated more closely than the others. You will be reminded of the guidelines and asked to stay on topic. If it degenerates into simply another Locker Room or Drool Thread, it will be closed.

Also note that because this is intended as a discussion thread, all views are welcome. This is not some sort of blind admiration thread. Opposing views foster meaningful discussion.

Just to get the party started: What is your favorite Carmine performance (from CSI:NY or elsewhere), and most importantly, why? What makes this performance stand out for you?

2. CarmineFan

CarmineFan Lab Technician

At first, good idea to open a new thread beside the 'groupie'-threads. We should appreciate more his work because he does it well.

And now to Carmine's acting.
    I like his performance in 'In enemy hands' because I only knew him like the CSI-investigator who always wears a suit and looks maintained.
    But in that movie Carmine shows another side. He has to play this sailor who isn't just nice and like everything.
    I think it shows the flexibility of Carmine. He can play just more than one kind of character, for example always the nice good-looking person.

3. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I just wrote an essay and my computer farts and loses it all. :(

Anyway, I think I love you for this thread. :lol: I've been dying for stimulating discussion here.

To answer the question, I'm going to have to go with BHSK. I don't know if it's my absolute favorite, because some CSI stuff sticks out, but I can't quote anything CSI like I can his lines as Gundy. What isn't to like there? He starts out baring his ass to world, because he just doesn't care...probably because he's stoned. :lol: His lines are witty and perfectly executed.

I've said this before, but Carmine has truly mastered changing his body language to fit the character. He gets in his element and you're convinced that this actor IS the person they're portraying. I love that he threw himself into with such depth, though he was in the movie for all of 15 minutes. Such depth that they asked him to write a song to go along with Gundy's schtick and he did.(I know the words to that too. :)) That's awesome.

4. CarmineFan

Yes, Carmine LIVES that role. It fits perfectly to him.

5. MrsGiovinazzo

Sucks when that happens. :( But the thought that care enough to write an essay about your favorite performance is good. :D

You've both mentioned what I think are great performances. Their greatness lies in their diversity. The man has got some serious dramatic range. In "In Enemy Hands," everything about him acknowledges the severity of his character's circumstances. As a POW, he's gritty and scared. In "BHSK" he goes completely opposite, as a stoner without a care in the world. In my opinion, he completely stole the show as Gundy. The was absolutely classic and completely quotable. His body language, his delivery, his expressions, every aspect of his emotions allow him to transform completely into these very different roles.

6. CarmineFan

I think it's good when actors are flexible and can play different characters with different characteristics. I've only seen him in'For love of the game', 'In enemy hands' and in CSI:NY but I think Carmine is one of those actors.

7. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

I agree with what's been said already.

As "Gundy", I swore Carmine was on 'something'! That's how strong and hysterically funny his performance was.

However, I loved his Marine portrayal in Black Hawk Down. My late Dad was an Army man, and I remember the stories he told me about war and never leaving your fellow soldiers. Carmine may not have had a long time on screen, but he emoted a poignancy that reflected the true military code of brotherhood and camaraderie and resonated long after the movie was over.

Well done! :)

8. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

YAY for the new thread! :D

I have to admit I still need to catch up on Carmine's filmography before CSI:NY because sadly, I haven't watched anything he's in except for "Black Hawk Down". One of my New Year's resolutions is to hunt for these two movies you guys have mentioned and enjoy every minute of them.

This said, what turned a casual viewer into a devoted fangirl was of course "Run Silent, Run Deep". We've only watched S1 in Italy so far so it was a "random" episode for me but man, I totally fell in love with the character right then and there! Carmine's performace was so convincing, raw and real, that I just needed to know more about Danny Messer.

9. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

I wrote an essay too, but the board farted, not my computer :lol: Luckily, I've learned to copy before I press the 'submit' button just in case.

/me bounces into the room throwing m&m's to everyone and issuing huge sighs of relief. Sits down and gazes adoringly at MrsGiovinazzo

It's official. I love you. I do :lol:

It's been yonks since I've posted anything over here.

Favourite Carmine performance? There are so many little moments to choose from. The scene where he is being interrogated in Bigshot: Confessions of a Campus Bookie. The flashback scene at the train station, where he is crying, in The Big Brass Ring. Gundy in Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss ... that was something. It's a cute movie, but Carmine's performance in that really made it. He can be really, really funny (although we've seen that in Danny, too). The song he does is a classic. And for those that don't know ... he wrote that himself. It was bad (funny bad), but deliberately bad. The guy has some nice versatility :) I like that.

These are up on his website I believe. I own them so I can watch them all at my viewing pleasure :) That said, I've only watched them once ( :eek: gasp - what sort of fangirly does that make me?? :eek: :D) I will watch them again at some stage.

But by FAR my favourite Carmine role is as Frankie, in Fallen Arches. That one I've watched over and over. I love the movie, not just his performance in it. I haven't seen may people on talkcsi that like this movie, and I guess it's an acquired taste. Like a lot of offbeat independent movies, people either love it or hate it. I'm in the former group, I love offbeat indie films. I think this film could be misunderstood by a lot of people who don't get that it's not bad, but offbeat. But then everyone has different tastes (shrug). I'm off on a rant here. This is definitely an essay :lol:

The film opens with a scene where Frankie and his brother are fighting. That scene is just spitting intensity and tension. Makes you sit up and take notice straight away. Frankie is sweet, and young, but definitely the most mature of his little group of friends. His character is multi-dimensional. He did a really good job. And the chemistry between Carmine and Justin Lewis is fantastic.

Love it love it love it :) Hope we get to see him in a lot more cinematic work.

Edit: How could I be remiss and not note my favourite CSI NY moments? Run Silent, Run Deep of course. On the Job is a kicker. And Raising Shane.

10. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

I have to admit that the only piece of work that I've seen Carmine in is CSI:NY. When I do get the chance I plan to watch a few of his films. Now, I'll metion why I love his portrayal of Danny Messer:

Carmine makes Danny into a likeable character with humane qualities. Most shows try to make their characters into those abnormal people who never do anything regular or who have no flaws. Danny is a perfect example of the exact opposite of that. He has a temper like most of us. He gets into trouble like most of us. He whines & complains like most of us. He's unsure of who he is like most of us. He cries like most of us. He's scared like most of us. He's someone most of us can relate to.

I was happy to see that his relationship with Louie wasn't peachy keen & filled with sunshine & rainbows. I'm not saying that I don't want them to bond but the reality is that most siblings have their moments where they can't get along. That aspect of him shows he isn't perfect & quite frankly, I've never been one to admire the perfect characters.

Another great moment of his was when he was in called in by Shane, one on one. He blew my mind with the way he showed his fear & the way he voice quivered & how he was unsure of the situation. He didn't act like a big scaredy cat but he did exactly enough to show how he felt in that moment.

However, Danny's best performance was clearly in "On the Job". Carmine was able to make me feel for him, to have some sympathy & some apathy. You knew when he was frustrated, when he was upset & when he was hurt. My feelings for him came naturally. He didn't act like he wanted us to feel sorry for him, to baby him. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I handled the situation the way he did. I loved that he didn't kiss Mac's ass or do what didn't feel right for him.

Basically, Danny is one of the most realistic characters on television. He's someone I see myself in, even though we're both different genders. People can relate to him & it's all because of Carmine. Carmine breaths life into this character & makes Danny the way he is. He's dynamic, talented, raw, realistic & full of life. He makes this show an absolute pleasure to watch & I just frigging love this man.

11. Lonia

Lonia Witness

Nice thread!

I haven't seen the whole film BHSK yet, but I think I flipped through most of Carmine's Performance. He played that stoned guy so perfect! You really thought he's filled with something! I also loved his role in "In enemy hands", which is so totally different to the roles in BHSK or CSI:NY for example.

I also agree that he plays the different characters so "real". You really see different people, it's not Carmine in that moments, it's Gundy or Cooper. The ability to perform such total different characters so great is stunning. He really belongs to the flexible actors who won't always have to play the same kind of role.

Next film I want to watch is "Fallen Arches". I just got it over ebay from someone in Australia. I think I like the story, but I have to be in the mood for watching such dramatic films - with I think probably not the best ending!

12. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

Where are you from, Lonia? You may have a problem with region coding if you bought it from Australia, unless of course you have a dvd player that plays all regions ... the only thing I made SURE mine does because I'm from Australia and I buy a heap of stuff from Amazon (cheaper and quicker, if you can believe it).

13. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

That's another great thing about Carmine. He's a very versatile actor & from what I can gather he seems to play each role differently & with a bit of an edge as well. There's nothing worse then an actor who makes every character they portray the seem despite one being a sociopath & the other a priest or whatever.

If I do ever see Carmine in anything else I doubt one of his characters will be similar to Danny unless the role requires it. I love that he can distinguish(sp?) one character from another without making people think that they're watching the same person in the same film but just with a different name.

14. Lonia

Lonia Witness

crankyjules: I'm from Germany and the DVD is a "all PAL" one, so it should work on every DVD Player here. But I'm glad mine is playing "All regions", so I can more often buy DVDs from abroad - just to get them earlier and/or cheaper than here in Germany.

15. MrsGiovinazzo

I am loving you girls! Proof that intelligent life does exist here. :lol:

Also a fan of indies, I love that movie. I think a lot of people miss the fact that it's got a semi-satirical slant to it and simply perceive it as a bad mob story. It's well-written and acted. Carmine's character is multi-faceted and, as always, he plays both the tough and the sensitive well. I agree about the chemistry between Carmine and Justin Louis. That was a really nice brotherly relationship that wasn't all roses (hmmm ... kinda like Danny and Louie). There is also an intimate mother /son conversation in a bar that shows really nice chemistry between Carmine and Karen Black.

I love that about Danny. His beauty is in his flaws. That truly is one of the best written characters on TV right now. I think with Danny and Carmine, it's a perfect marriage of writing and talent.