Grade "Grounds for Deception"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 13, 2009.

?

How would you grade Grounds for Deception?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    27.2%
  2. A

14 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. A-

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. B-

6 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  8. C

9 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. C-

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  11. D

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    9.7%
  1. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I would like to know if the producers, other writers, and director actually thought it was good or did they just let her do what she wanted. Let's hope she sticks to acting and doesn't try writing another episode. I don't think I could get through it.

Regardless of whether she hadn't planned on staying, she is on maternity leave which means she is still under her doctor's care which means she shouldn't be allowed to work at all until her doctor releases her. Mac should have MADE her either leave or stay away from the case but then again, Mac seems to look the other way when it comes to certain people. :rolleyes:

Danny said that he and Lucy were running fingerprints so where else would she be except strapped to him like she was when he walked in with the results?

Also, I forgot to mention this in my original post but I love that Danny won the baby name disagreement. Seriously, when does Danny not get his way? :guffaw:

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

Yeah guys, I think this was meant to be a joke.

Oh it probably was a Chagall until they needed it to be a stolen Greek antiquity.

As for the rest of the episode.
    (sighs) Melina honey, don't quit your day job.
    That...was dissapointing.
    While I didn't expect there to be any accurate repurcussions from Stella and Angell's felony (kidnapping) a few eps ago, I was hoping for at least some sort of fallout. But no. Stella turns in her shield for about 40 minutes, and that's it. And don't get me started on the whole swiping evidence from a suspect's house. I guess that following proper procedures only applies when you're in New York. Can't imagine Mac being too happy if hot Greek cop showed up in New York and swiped something from one of Mac's crime scenes.

Blech. I would criticize Melina for her writing Mac out of character like that, but I guess after Mac didn't bother charging a woman with conspiracy to commit murder last week, then maybe it's less of stretch that he's not arresting Stella for kidnapping. (and I don't care if she had the Cypriot government onside, they don't have jurisdiction in the USA and proper extradition treaties don't include using shipping containers)

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I agree. And if Anna Belknap were capable of conveying any warmth or depth it would've been funny. As it was, it came off as another example of Lindsay being smug and self-important.

4. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I'm not sure I agree with this on the basis that while Mac has a habit of undertaking jobs that are not his obligation teaching Lindsay to be a good Mother isn't his duty.

Sure, you wanted to show off your shiny new kid at work. Fine, you dropped by said place of work to bandy her about. But what new mother arrives at work only to ditch the kid on a break room table and jump behind a desk to catch up with everyone else's work schedule?

It might have been Mac's job to tell her to GTFO on grounds that she's not following lab protocol by running samples while the techs babysit, but it's Lindsay's responsibility to figure out which comes first, her work or her kid, and apparently she's choosing work. Which begs the questions why they didn't nix this thing months ago. You cannot be a super-parent and super-CSI at the same time. At least not while maintaining any grip on reality.

5. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Whilst she is on maternity leave she is not covered under the lab insurance so Mac should have sent her straight out of there - nothing to do with her parenting skills.

Edit: I knew there ws something else I wanted to add, with regards to Melina writing the episode on her own - I would doubt that Melina knows how to test for calcium carbonate so I think she must have had some help (dare I say I think she oculd have done with a little more help?)

6. M-n-Mfan7

M-n-Mfan7 Victim

Hey you guys no offense meant here, but it is a fictional crime drama, so no there wasnt much reality there with the baby in the lab, however I thought the whole "theres only one man in her life and its me" line was cute.... I think that they are trying to get us used to the idea of the baby being there before season 6 and LIndsay goes back to work full time. I am assuming then that Lucy will be in daycare while they are at work. And yes Lucy is supposedto be in memory of Louie, Danny's brother. As far as Stella and MAc, I think he went to Greece to be there for Stella no matter waht happened, I think he has this unspoken sense of responisbility, he cares deeply for her.... this was a very very big SMACKED epi. I am glad that they didnt just leave the Greek coin and antiquities thing alone that they actually closed it...there are many out there that disagree with me but I enjoy the episode. But giving our opinions isnt that what this discussion is all about???? Well on the edge of my seat for tonights episode...im gonna cry its the finale....Does anyone know when Season 6 starts? I think in Sept, I know that they have already done the contract siginings for it. Howwver I have no idea about when it starts....Hope to see you all in here tonight or tomorrow after we all see the fianle....

7. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

This was one episode i couldn't put my finger on it just missed that bit of drama which i think would have made it a lot better because the shooting scene at the end had me going really in an open field... ooh great.

Tho I admit i was stupid and read some of the reviews before i actually sat and watched the episode which clouded my vision ever so slightly about how I watched it.

I did like the start I always like NY's big musical starts with the drama and the how is it gonna create a crime scene moment i get.

The DL thing was wierd, and Danny being overprotective is quite funny to watch he's a new dad he wants to be the best which might mean acting a tad stupid. It will definately be interesting tho to see how it works next season with the baby in tow.

Angell not being that was wierd for me being I thought seeing as she was involved and although Mac didn't know or probably did by the end it would have been nice to see her there and give a hand.

I also kind of wanted Kolovos(sp?) to have a bigger part than get killed at the start although was kind of like oooh hang on I was expecting him in Greece wanting payback.

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Grade: A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes it's very easy to realize how to describe the technical side of a job but you can't never know how to paint emotions, feelings, souls...

Melina DID IT

In every sense of the word she painted all her emotions, Stella's emotions,Mac's emotions, her fans' emotions, Smacked fans' emotions in just one episode

General comments

The opening sequence was just AMAZING. Because of the type of episode and because of the beauty of the scene itself, the Greek threatre scene was just perfect, especially because i have been on stage so i know it is unusual and it is full of beauty

The background music used during the whole episode. It creates tension and more tension

The Athens footage (i hope this is the right word in English). However they were in Tesaloniki, how is possible it was showed the Parthenon??? (there are 512 km between both cities ;)

I liked very much in any case "Plastic Greece":lol:.I liked the fact Melina used her grandma's story to give her Stella a proper background.

And i really liked we saw a glimpse of Greece on this

(Ah! I love Greek's eyebrows:lol: They give them a lot of personality:thumbsup:

Personal comment

Nobody understand in the world to Stella better than Melina. And She did. Even when Stella knew she screwed up, her fear for losing Mac was very obvious. She had already handed her badge to him so she wasn't afraid of losing her job. It was the relationship with Mac she was afarid of losing it.
    Stella felt she had the right to walk freely without the fear oif being attacked. This is not the first time that it happens. She already lived a terrible episode with Frankie and she didn't need another wacko chasing her to kill her. She didn't want to be a victim of her own fear . That's why she went after Diakos and Koslovos. Her wish of justice and her wish of being free of danger. She alkready knew the experience so she didn't want to repeat one more time
    Itr wasn't easy for Mac either. It was so obvious he was upset because she lied to him and because she put herlsef in jeopardy regarding Sinclair.He didn't complain because he was his boss.He complaint because he CARED FOR HER
    I truly enjoyed how realistic it was the Flack/Stella relationship. Usually he is weak towards her but now he wasn't.He was worried for Angell's participation and Stella's words to him made obvious she never intended to hurt anyone or put someone else in danger.So she only wanted Angell could know everything was ok and Angell was safe.
    Beyond that, Flack is still her friend so i laughed when he said "Something i should do????". That's my Flack!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    Poor Stella, she felt how her world was falling apart, first when she felt she lost Mac and her job and then when Danny and Flack went to pick up Professor Papakota

This episode also explained a lot of Stella's background. She always showed a great love for Arts.Of course, that's Melina's thing but we also found out, Stella's mother was a restoring artist. In 1977 she brought her 2 years old girl with her to NYC. So our Little Stella is Greek.
    Which leads me to say her american side was emphasized at the beginning when she asked P.Papakota's brother to talk in English. I said: "WHAT?STELL, YOU TALK GREEK!"
    However it was all very clear when at the end she talked in Greek with that man in charge of the Investigation. Stella finally ASSUMED and DISCOVERED who she was. Stella is GREEK. And She is proud of her inheritage!

Stella, many times was acussed of being "cold", however it was desmitified when Mac revealed her Professor P. was involved in the case. "He is not a murderer". Her voice broke 3 times. In those three times Little Stella appeared to reveal our Adult Stella has that little one inside her, who was an orphan, who grew up alone, who made herself, who built herself who knew her inheritage because of this tender Professor who resulted to be a thief
    And Little Stella cried for all lies given to her but she was comforted by the only person who never lied to her: Mac. Shy Mac, Tender Mac, who outside the office showed all her feelings for her. He went across half world to be with her.
    It was a revelation for them the very moment they found each other again at the Museum.He was shy, she was shy. She needed him. He needed to be there for her.
    It will take sometime to make the obvious step in their relationship but the basis was already settled. They reached the moment when they discovered what they meant for each other

LOVED THIS EPISODE. LOVED IT because what it meant for Mac and Stella. I LOVED IT because what she still needs to discover (I don't think t all Professor papakota was her father)

I am in HEAVEN and i DON'T CARE the naughty comments. you are free to post whatever you want-. I feel it was perfect:bolian:
    And let me tell you, i didn't feel the DL was a big deal.The first impression i had from comments i almost believed it was a DL episode when it wasn't and the lab scene were short and painless:bolian:

ps: I want love and laugh for my Stella. She cried a lot in this epiusode and Melina broke my heart each time:(

9. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

To be fair on Melina, as a first time effort this wasn't any crappier that the rest of season 5, which was written by supposedly experienced writers (who used to be good).

First Mac is 45 and now Stella is 34. Does someone on this show have number dyslexia?

I remember reading on here a quote from a producer about the baby name. He said it had been chosen but they weren't revealing it yet, as they didn't know how the viewers would react. What kind of reaction were they expecting to a ordinary, normal, bog-standard name like Lucy? You either think 'a lovely name' or 'ok, but not what I would pick', maybe even 'not too keen on it'. Methinks, they chickened out of going with Montana because forum folks thought it was lame.

How many sane people, over the age of ten, would open a picture frame by smashing the glass against a table? Obviously it didn't get even slightly damaged.

Mac may think that girls can do no wrong, but well done to Flack for letting Stella know he wasn't happy with her behaviour or dragging his Angel into it.

Poor Angel, you can try hiding but I'm quite sure it's all going to be in vain. :(

I'm not quite sure as I was watching this on a laptop, but did Stella say "who is she", when shown the picture of herself in the dodgy wig?

Do we all get a prize for guessing the Professor was involved?, 2 months prior to the arc's finale. Yet again the 3 episode arc seems to fall flat on the third episode. I'm not sure why they keep using this routine, if they cannot keep it interesting to the end.

Mac promised the Greeks that they would return the evidence after the trial in New York, yet Stella decided to dispose of the treasures they found in Greece. Threw them down a hole no less, saying if someone else found them (hopefully still in one piece), it would be the Greeks business. Surely the Greek government would have wanted the artifacts in one of their museums.

My favourite parts were Stella saying to the Prof's brother, "can you speak English, though I spreak fluent Greek, the viewers don't and we've run out of money for subtitles", also getting a flashback to the picture being smashed, almost immediately after seeing it the first time.

Not good when my main thought throughout the episode was, Danny needs a haircut, the Rin Tin Tin look is not good on a 30 something boychild.

One more episode, then I'm retiring, hope it's a good one.

10. roximonoxide

Right, but she said she was there part time... so she would have been looked after under any insurance policy as much as any part timer at the lab is. The baby however not so much.

Leaving your infant in a breakroom whilst running around work might not say anything about parenting skills to you, and that's fine, but it definitely does to me.

It is possible to write a work of fiction that still has basis in reality. Maybe not for these writers, but it's something a lot of people think they need to take care in doing when they're basing a show around procedural sciences. Writing fiction does not excuse you from breaking the rules of your own canon.

You know that for a fact? Did you read it somewhere? I'd love to see the source.

I agree, I thought they could have put Kolovos to better use rather than making him the corpse that starts out the investigation. Especially since the plots lately seem to have less and less to do with the initially discovered crimes. I don't feel like I'm the only one noticing that trend lately. It's getting kind of tired.

11. eyewitness

eyewitness Rookie

Ok finally I had the time to write this post.

I rated the episode D. :(

I am a smacked shipper, and that's the only reason I didn't rate it an F, because I loved all of the smakced moments. But apart from that, everything in the episode was a little bit overdone. There was just too much going on.

- McGyver style forensics in the middle of a plaza in Greece? Seriously? :rolleyes: :(

- That whole Alexander the great bs made it look like it was a Lara Croft movie. Come on! Small talk about old artifacts and carbon dating?? As if ancient history was basic knowledge amongst the CSI's!! That was preposterous!

- The begging of the episode was bad and it lacked continuity (the scenes just looked totally disconected): jump from the greek play scene right to Mac and Stella fight? That scene looked misplaced, as we were not given further details as to how the hell did Mac find out about Stella's lie.

- I think I don't even need to mention the whole D/L+ baby in the lab history, that was from far the worst thing in the episode. :scream::scream::scream::scream: Aaaahh!! I am actually starting to think this DL baby thing was the worst thing that could have ever happened to CSI: NY. Because if things go on like this with these 2, I am so quitting CSI: NY. The scenes with DL + baby just make me want to turn off the TV and never come back.

- What kind of a plane is that, which takes people from the US to Greece in like one instant? What about buying flight tickets 72hrs earlier, visa, bureaucratic custom procedures and all those things that I have to go through when you do an international travel? CSI's don't have to do that? :scream::scream::scream: An they can even carry their guns with them?

- Stella's gonne for like a few hours and everyone is already tracking her credit card and looking everywhere for her?

Overall I was very disappointed with the episode. It was amongst the worst in season 5. And hey, season five was bad really. :rolleyes::(

If they still want me to watch CSI:NY for another season I hope they come up with something irrefutably amazingly great tonight.

12. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Can I just side with everybody else on the whole baby Lucy in the lab thing? Please, writers! Do not make a habit of doing that. I was already having a bad day and that scene did not help my mood one bit. I came this close to smashing my t.v. screen.

So we get Angell involved in this whole Greek thing but she isn't there for the big finish? What a rip-off! *SIGH*

It was a pretty interesting finish though, and nice to get out of New York for awhile, even if they didn't shoot on location.(Like they could afford to...)

I did feel bad for Stella, having this person she trusted and looked up to her whole life betray her like that.(And then redeem himself by taking a bullet for her.)

That whole thing with her mom though was kinda odd... if Stella was born in Greece, that would make her a Greek citizen, right? So how did she end up in foster care in the U.S.?

Season Finale tonight! I'd better not forget. And if baby Lucy is back at the lab, I'm never watching this show again!

How much you want to bet by next season she'll be thirteen years old?

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

And Mac will be 35, Stella 25 and Danny and Lindsay will both be 17. :rolleyes: :lol:

14. roximonoxide

^^ Oh God they're regressing! Turns out NY is being sucked through a crack in the space time continuum! We shouldn't worry though, Mac is a super hero after all. I'm sure he'll fix it.

15. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I may be wrong but I thought we were supposed to believe that the theme of the play and the theme of the episode were somewhat connected. At first I thought it could be Antigone because of the betrayal part. I love Greek mythology and tragedies, but I always forget which is which. Any thoughts?

Actually, I found her delivery slightly better than usual. Her tone is flat as always, but Anna seems less awkward for some reason. Maybe portraying a mother suits the actress better? ;)