"Father of the Bride" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Apr 25, 2011.

1. schedius

schedius Victim

What happened?? wow they lost me in the middle of the episode there, good thing for Ray's recap in the end. So did Nate have plastic surgery? coz he looks the same to me...

and I agree.. what's the point of having Sofia back, she hardly did anything... is she going to be in next week's episode?

2. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

I didn't see that part of the episode, but I know that here in Delaware when you are fingerprinted, they do it electronically so there is no ink used. (I teach, so I've had to have multiple background checks. That's how I know :shifty: ) I'm assuming that in Vegas they'd be a little more hi-tech with everything lol

3. murph116

murph116 Dead on Arrival

Did Haskell look any different at the end? Given that we saw him with bandages on his face in the flashbacks and everything, I was hoping they had done some cool makeup trick to change his face. The only thing that looked different was that his hair was darker haha

4. LionsHeart

LionsHeart Lab Technician

If I'm not compleatly wrong, I think we saw Nick put her the fingerprint ink. :)

I didn't really like this episode either. The only part I liked was the case where Nick and Greg were working together, but then they had to make that about Haskell too.:scream: After that I pretty much stopped paying attention to the storyline and just concentrated on drooling over Greg whenever he was on screen.:lol:
    Right now I'm just waiting for this season to end, because I'm so sick of this whole storyline. (I know they could still bring Haskell to next season too, but right now I'm just happily blocking that thought. :))

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

The episode was ok. I'm just glad the Haskell story is coming to an end.

Loved Nick and the cow. :lol: Let's see first it was the pigs and now it's a cow, he does have a way with farm animals. :lol:

Nick and Doc was hilarious too: "you smell like a port-a-potty" :guffaw:

Yay for seeing more of Akers. :)

Wanted to smack Ray a few times in this episode. He was definitely placating Catherine.

Tawny with Nick :lol: I didn't even know that was her until I saw it on here.

Very disappointed that Sofia didn't give Ray hell.

I still don't like Sofia (I hope she doesn't come back) and I don't like when Nick and Greg work together.

The bodies...yeah...they were gross. :lol:

6. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I do have to ask, what happened to the big conflict the spoilers promised? I want Sophia back for that.

7. Lt.Sugar

Lt.Sugar Hit and Run

Yes, we saw that and she never washed her hands, that's why I said, there's a mistake

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Hahaha that was an irritating episode! It's not even compelling. Good thing is I don't roll my eyes when I'm annoyed or else I would have gone to the doctor to adjust my eyeball. Happy the end is near!

9. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Frankly, I thought it was a mess. Not sure it's even worth commenting. There were some decent character moments (loved seeing Archie and Henry), but the Haskell character ran its course for me long ago. Now it's just sensationalizing Raskell for the sake of drama, and I don't have any interest in it.
    Louise Lombard looked great! But, her appearance was wasted; and I'm not really sure why her character needed to be there.
    I've been neutral on Ray most of the time, but this whole Raskell storyline has pushed me over the edge. It defies reason. Even if you are a LF fan, can you really take this seriously? CSI is just getting further and further away from its roots, IMO. I love drama as much as anyone, but the only thing I care about anymore is seeing JF/Sara; it's no longer about the show.
    I will say I'm interested in the finale just to see the aftermath of this ridiculous plotline. The show can still be salvaged, but who comes back and how next season starts out will be the key. Will tptb gloss over Ray's apparent foray into his dark side? If so, I may be done. Sad, too, since I think there have been some great episodes this season.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  10. byline

byline CSI Level One

I agree with this completely. I remember an interesting observation that Brian Cox, the actor who played Hannibal Lecter in "Manhunter," made about the difference between his and Anthony Hopkins' approach to the character. He said that Hopkins played him as crazy, while he played him as insane. There's a subtle but distinct difference; the former appeals more to a horror film mentality, whereas the latter aims for more of a psychological thriller.

It's like in the first two episodes, Bill Irwin played Haskell as insane, but ever since then, he's played him as crazy. I don't know if the problem is with the writing, or the direction, or the acting, or some combination of all three, but it's created a character who lost his scariness because the thing that was so frightening about Haskell was his apparent ability to fit in, revealing the fact that he's a monster only to his victims. Now he's behaving like a monster pretty much all the time, and who wouldn't see that coming? Just too cartoonish for my tastes.

As the episode was getting underway, and it became clear this was yet another Haskell-oriented episode, my husband said, "Please let this story be over soon!" He's never said that about any of "CSI"'s continuing story arcs before. Not a good sign.

OK, having said that, and given that it was a Haskell episode, I did find myself wanting to know how it turns out. Though, as others have noted, Haskell's fixation with Ray is very strange. I can see him wanting to egg Ray on, and that being a "fun" game to him, but the anger he's displaying? Or maybe it's just Irwin's attempt to appear "evil" gone awry.

The scene where Nick, Greg and the young cop, Akers, entered the farmhouse and found the bodies upstairs was extremely well done. The odd, off-kilter camera angles and lighting meshed perfectly with the strains of cello music drifting downstairs. Greg's facial expressions -- apprehension mixed with a careful watchfulness -- were so bang-on. One saving grace about this season has been the development (finally!) of Greg's character. As my husband said, he's Greg again, only more mature . . . which of course we would expect, given developments in his life and career.

I liked the fact that the cop went in first, for a change. I thought Nick was going to lead the charge once again, but then Akers asked to take it. Good call from the powers that be.

I liked the fact that Catherine took charge of the situation with Ray -- as she should have -- and Ray actually stopped and listened. Great acting between these two; too bad it's wasted on this storyline.

I loved seeing Sofia again . . . all 30 seconds of her. I would've liked to have seen more interaction between her and Brass. It's too bad that apparently her presence was there only to further the Haskell storyline, same as with Lady Heather. It would be nice if this points to Sofia coming back next season; we can only hope.

I don't really get the whole point of giving Haskell plastic surgery, since he didn't look all that radically different there at the end; just darker hair, which a simple dye job would achieve. A good makeup job radically altering his appearance would have improved the believability of that final scene.

Also, I thought it was a pretty direct leap that Brass made about Haskell "fitting in" in L.A. I realize that Brass has a connection to L.A., but frankly there are lots of places in the world where Haskell could easily fit in with a new babe, a hot car and a couple million dollars. Seems to me it should've taken them a wee bit longer to figure that one out.

11. CazzBlade

CazzBlade Lab Technician

Totally agree with this, I was on the edge of my seat while Nick, Greg and Akers were walking through the house! I rarely say that about shows nowadays.

I really enjoyed the Nick and Greg storyline for this episode, and I'm actually glad it turned out connected to the Haskell case as it made the Haskell case not solely about Ray, and made sure that the B storyline wasn't insignificant to the episode. I would have been annoyed if they'd passed the case over to Ray and Cath once they found out, so that was a pleasant surprise.

The episode as I whole, I didn't pay much attention to Ray's scenes unless Sofia was in them. I had the Royal wedding on mute while I was watching it, so I paid more attention to that during those scenes, I just didn't see the point as I only got annoyed with Ray and knew what was going to happen anyway.

12. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

WOW this episode was spectatular, intense, riveting, intriguing and suspensful. Just re-watched to post my views, and comments on this episode. How the whole team were on the same page and so connected on catching this freak-show. One of the things I love about CSI, they want to get him as much as Ray does. And I guess if someone had been tormenting, taunting and on a killing spree for two years I'd be a little, no alot more miffed off than Ray was. I guess we could call this Cathskell, Brasskell, Nickskell, Gregskell, & Docskell, not just Raskell beings they were heavily into getting this creep captured.:thumbsup:

The opening scene with Nick and Ray seemily lost out in the sticks, a cow in the road and Nick MOOOOs:lol: Ray so full of angst, he's so good his timing so perfect. Nick "manure with a hint of decomp" Body parts that don't match up:confused:Ray gets a call and splits leaving poor Nick abandoned~

Brass, Cath waiting, Haskell on video rambling agin about Ray "Maybe you don't like looking in the mirror Ray" [oh shut up] and Rays expressions:bolian:

Tinsdale one of Haskells brides parents [Bruce Davison] good in this role. hey haven't seen Vivian in years. Cath: "We all want the same thing, we don't want Nate Haskell to kill your daughter"

Nick and Doc going over the body parts Doc:"You smell like a porta-potty" Thinks' the hads were cut off with an hand ax. Archie [so cute] and good always to see him. In walks Sofia and Archie congrats. her on her promotion. She still looks the same very pretty. and good to see her back.

Ray and her meet, he's so distracted by what's going on hes a bit stand-offish. She wants to call in the FEDS, he doesn't Archie finds out where he's been sending these videos. Rays right on, or is he? Trickery:evil: He calls they can't track his call. Doc to Nick "Thank you for showering" Nick: "I didn't necessarily do it for you, but your welcome":rommie: One of the hands was that of a doctor, so Greg and him find the seedy office and once again Nick breaks a door. Blood everywhere~

Brass and Ray at the park they tell Tinsdale to answer his phone but he screws up. One of Nates gals was lurking around, he finds a little gift box And this chick Tina Vincent stars running and Ray knocks her to the ground:wtf: "Where's Nate", she just laughs again he asks and then Brass yells "Ray, hey Ray"~

Cath and she was great in this, and looked stunning and was on top of her game. Her and the girl bantering and she goes "I admire his courage because he's a victim" oh PLEASE:scream: Her attorney defends her with Ray watching through the 2-way glass. Your prison's can't hold Nate" :rolleyes:

Ray going over the pkg. and Henry a bit timid cause' he sees how ticked off Ray is. Ray: "Where's Hodges" ? Henry: "He's moving out of his mothers house, finally, don't know who's more traumatized":vulcan: He says he'll help~

I've never seen Ray this short-tempered with his team, but for good reason. They go over to Tinsdales house Brass: [from cell phone] "That's not the deal, sounds like it was about you". They seize all his records~

Nick & Greg examning the crime scene, someone killed the doctor and the nurse.

Nick and some freaky chick she and him go round and round "Vegas is the fugitive capital of the world" Nick: "I didn't know that'" [sure he did], then she goes into vivid detail about her hubby and vibrators & it makes Nick wince [he's so cute] and very uncomfortable:cardie:

Greg finds bullet that matches in Haskell's escape. Nick think's he might have has plastic surgery Greg: "Haskell could just be another face in the crowd" NIck: "we don't know who we're looking for anymore":confused:

Round table discussion [but the table is square] why, where and how . Ray comes up with the real deal, he's so brilliant, and has been researching his evil ways for 2 years. Brass: "So why the dog and pony show in the park? Ray: "Don't know, but it's got something to do with the pic. in the box?

Archie finds another video [he's so creepy and spooky] EWWW:klingon: So Cath goes "blackmail" Greg says he withdrew $2 mill [Tinsadale] The Ray goes on a total ballstic rampage Cath goes after him "I know what your going" Cath calms him down. She was fantastic in this scene. He does calm down and he goes "What do you want to do boss"? Cath: "we go after Haskell together" a team effort.

Tinsdale kills himself and there's another video to Ray GEEZ:eek: Mrs Tinsdale talls Cath some off-the-wall eerie stuff about him and Vivian.

Greg in lab, to Nick, Greg: "You sure you got all the body parts"? Nick: "I'm sure I'm not going to like what you tell me" Nothing adds up again, they g back to the farm, and find unbeliveable crap and another corpse. Haskell is the killer from hell. Sofia [she sure wasn't in it much for a return visit]:confused: Cath finds file Ray and Super Dave, Ray wants to see hands finds lead on them. Doc: "I know your curious for answers" so Vivian killed them all and it goes back and shows Haskell with bandages on his face, Ray goes "this isn't Haskell's MO, it was Tina plus Calvin Frost an innocent bystander, helped them, the they killed him too. Cath: "He's been playing us the whole time" Brass :"The joker without the laughs":rommie: More discussion and Ray hits pay dirt "He's not in Vegas", he fits all the pieces, like a puzzle. Cath "So their traveling as a couple, less attention, plastic surgery cash and a bimbo" Brass "call LAPD"~

Then it cuts to the recital, with Gloria playing the bass fiddle with her husband watchng [he doesn't seem to be palying with a full deck], says "it is his wife" and who's sitting next to him Tina with Evil Haskell, those eyes are the devils:devil:chills down my spine.. and the to be continued

13. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

That's nice Haskell still gives you chills with his eyes/look that we've seen 342 times since season 9.

For me the last scene was funny because Haskell still looks like Haskell and his stupid eyes has been focused 342 times already. Oops I already said it.

14. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

I wouldn't use the word "nice" in describing a "serial killer' who gives one the creeps, like Hannibal Lector, no matter how many times one sees him he's still "creepy" than there's the remote for fans how don't want to see this creepy character:confused: the whole ep was chilling and dreadful, he's cagey, shrewd and one step ahead of the CSI's.. for now:shifty:

15. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I didn't think there was ever a good reason to be so pissy with one's co-workers - and not just one or two, but his entire TEAM of co-workers and cops. Absolutely NO reason - not even a serial killer on the loose because he screwed up to begin with is any reason.

Instead of "Brilliance", this would spell "incompetence" to me. He let Haskell outwit him in a 'mind game' (including in the courtroom) and now is free to kill others and even have his "brides" kill more.

I'm still quite miffed at the little-used return of Sofia. If they were going to have her back for such a small part and not really be needed, what was the point unless they're going to have her back as a recurring character (which would include more than once or twice a season)? I really wanted to see the big 'blow up' Sofia was going to have with Brass, Cath & Ray. Then again - I'm still not surprised since they've screwed around with Sofia's character many times so far, only to have her vanish into thin air.