Review The Last Film You Saw ~ Thread 3

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Tinkerbell, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

The Wolf Man- awesome from start to finish! my 16 year old brother and i were the only ones in our family to think this movie looked really good and we were not disappointed. there are some great pop out scenes that make you jump. the acting by Benicio del Torro, Emily Blunt, and Anthony Hopkins was perfect. i will say the coloring of the movie was very depressing grays and off whites and tans.

Jezebel- the only reason i even finished the movie was b/c Bette Davis was in it. she was fantastic in the movie and totally deserved her win for her role but the rest of the movie wasn't interesting to me. Henry Fonda was also very good in the movie.

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Thank's MakeTracksCowboy for the review on "The Wolfman" we were gonna go see it, but if this is accurate, maybe not:(

This weekend we saw the life story of "The Temptations", I had no idea all the turmoil they went through, so many bad things that happened so many incorrect choices, Almost all of them had some major problem from killing their selves, to cancer and other horrible things they all went through Barry Gordy made them a huge hit and so many songs that I knew and was singing along with "My Girl" "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" "The Way You Do The Things You Do", Alan Rosenberg was ther manager and was always upset from all the bad stuff that they were constantly going through. They were sensational on stage. A good flick, if one doesn't know their history~But know matter what happend to them they were always close, and always "The Temptations"~

3. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I also saw "The Wolfman". I saw it yesterday and I am very enthousiastic about it. It's a remake of a movie from the 1940's and it has the atmosphere of a classical horror movie. Grim, dark, sober and very scary. The only difference with a classiscal horror movie is that this film actually has good acting in it. Benicio Del Toro has always been one of my favorites and he proves again why he is. Emily Blunt is a charming actress, she plays her role just right and her acting is perfect. She made a great duo with Del Toro. I don't have to convince you about Anthony Hopkins' acting, because just like Denzel Washington he's one of those actors that hardly ever stars in a 'bad' movie.The only down side was the running time of the film. It was only 102 minutes long, they could have stretched that a little bit. That's just a minor point, so don't let that stop you. "The Wolfman" was definitely worth the money and I could recommend it to every horror fan.

4. MakeTracksCowboy

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief- very good. i really liked seeing all these actors portraying the Greek Gods and Goddesses. the story was very good. i just finished reading half of the stories the movie was talking about like Persephone and Athena and Hermes so i liked knowing what everyone was talking about. Melina Kanakredes was beautiful as Athena and was the only Greek actor in the whole movie lol. she needs to play Athena or some other Greek goddesses in a movie again she was perfect.

King Kong- the original 1933 version. i thought it was hysterical. the stop action was done really well and the acting wasn't too bad. i loved it when there was a scene with Kong or some other jungle creature and the actors had to walk in front of a screen the creatures were being projected on. Fay Wray definately had the easiest role in movie history as a lead actress b/c she must have had like 10 lines the entire movie and then all she did was scream.

5. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ Oh, I've been really wanting to see Percy Jackson and the Olympians- I've always been a fan of Greek mythology, so it totally appealed to me. Glad to hear it's good! Coincidentally, I'm waiting for the Olympics to finish before I go see it! :lol:

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

i watched the imaginarium of dr parnassus last night, and i really didnt like it. i dont get what the movie was supposed to be about, i couldnt sum up the plot if i tried. i had such high hopes for it because of who was in it, and some of the visuals in the trailer looked very interesting, but it was so boring! it was so random, i dont know what the point of the movie was.

7. Miyukiseta

Miyukiseta Rookie

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightening Thief - it was surprisingly refreshing and one of the only movies I've ever watched in theaters in my entire life. I really liked the cast they chose to portray the gods and goddesses (and Chiron too!) The only real thing that was wrong with it was the messed up time line and the lack of some things that happened in the book. Oh, and sometimes the special effects looked fake.:lol: Overall, a three outta four.

8. MakeTracksCowboy

La Dolce Vita- i watched just to see a Fellini work. it was way too long for my liking with the subtitles but i liked it. i liked seeing how this guy viewed celebrities and working with the papparazzi. it's different from watching American films from the 60s and even before then, the style is different and the way things are viewed through the camera were interesting. i say definitely watch this movie if you have a love for film.

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

We saw MALCOM X this past weekend, with Denzel Washington playing him. He actually resembled him somewhat. I never knew much about him, [way before my time] but I do now. He was a radical guy, who hated white people literally, and thought the black race was superior. Very interesting. He was so dedicated to this cause, that he was assassinated for his beliefs. In later life he mellowed out when he found his idol/mentor Mohammad was a con-artist and a liar, and changed his views about races. Denzel is stunning and riveting, in this role and his wife in the movie was Angela Bassett, also great. He had 6 daughters, no sons. If you didn't know about him, this will clarify his life's passions & his work~

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malcom_X

10. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Babe

This is a movie that I loved as a kid. It was ages ago since I watched it, but I realized that I still love it. I can't help it but I felt so sorry for that little pig who just had good intentions but hings often go completely wrong. I love how Babe is a special pig, and does what he can do to become a sheepdog. It is so adorable, and I both laughed and cried a lot while I was watching the movie.

I know it is a family film, especially aimed for kids. But I love it anyways.

11. BabaOReilly

^^^ I still cry when I watch that movie, and I'm 40! :lol:

I just watched "Legion" online and while it wasn't the best movie, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting... then again, low expectations may have been the key.

I didn't find it confusing at all, so I rarely understand when people complain about that; the acting was fine, the dialogue was so-so. It's just a fairly average movie that could have been way cooler. I did enjoy some cool angel wing weaponry though! :)

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

^ I tried to watch Legion online, but it was so dark that I couldn't tell what the heck was going on. I tried to brighten my screen, but it didn't help any. :lol: I hope it was just the source though. I guess I'll just have to go rent the movie and see.

13. BabaOReilly

Yeah, most of the versions were handheld-camera-in-the-theatre filming, but I found one that was like DVD quality, so I went for it. :lol:

14. MakeTracksCowboy

Shutter Island- bored me to tears. i had Leo's character's issue figured out from the first scene but not why he was on the island in the first place. it seems to be with this movie that some people say it was really good or very boring. the beginning dragged and the end went fast. it just didn't grab my focus and attention too much at first.

15. Ginnna

Ginnna Lab Technician

Sci-Fi's Alice (2009)

It's a Sci-Fi channel original movie. Those movies are notorious for being absolute tosh. Just mind-scarringly awful. Ever seen Mega Snake? That's a great example of a typical Sci-Fi original. I've always loved Michael Shanks in pretty much whatever role he's played. I watched Mega Snake... and I hated Michael Shanks for participating in such a soul crushing film. That's what these movies do to you. They crush your soul, crush your will to live.

I watched Alice last night and... and... god, I feel dirty for saying this... and I liked it. I actually liked a Sci-Fi channel original movie.

This one is the exception to the rule. It had great production values (for a made-for-TV movie), an entirely decent female lead, a brilliant male lead, an enjoyable (if somewhat predictable) plot, a few amusing one-liners, and best of all, even during the slow parts or the goofy parts, I didn't feel compelled to tear out my hair or throw up!

To be honest, I first heard about this movie from a LiveJournal community called "Comment Fic". People leave prompts, then writers reply with very short stories (100-1,000 words long, generally) if they feel so inspired. People kept asking for Alice/Hatter stories and I thought to myself "uh...... where did THAT come from, pairing Alice with the Mad Hatter??" It all made sense after seeing the movie. :D

Despite the way I usually roll my eyes and blow raspberries at schmaltz, I'm a sucker for a sappy romantic ending. I am. Especially if the movie doesn't try to gag me with the love story every damn step of the way. This is why I liked the ending to Alice. There was CLEARLY a love-story aspect in there (what with the looks and the almost kiss and the "oh, that feels good" hug and the epic awkwardness near the end) but the movie didn't grind the love story into my face with its heel every 2 minutes, so I was cool with it... and I wanted a happy ending for it, which I got! Yay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.