You're Invited: Summer NY Forum Meeting in LA!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: You're Invited: Summer Board Meeting in LA!!!

R
S
V
P

RSVP!!!!!

Subtle enough? ;) Send them in! If we're going to something super cool like a studio tour, we will need to book that in advance. The sooner we get the RSVPs in from you guys, the sooner we can do that. So please, send them in!

Thanks for the airline security rules update, it looks like they are the same as over here which is useful to know. :)

I'm here with a question...

I'm looking at flights and we have a number of options if we choose an indirect flight. So, many of the connecting flights are in US airports and it's many years since I last had connecting flights in the US, and I remember it being really awful when I did it. Does anyone know how long we would need between flights to make a connection? The bags will be checked through so we don't need to worry about those. The flight we are looking at connects in Chicago O'Hare and leaves us under two hours between flights, if anyone knows anything about the airport that would be useful. :)

OK, last thing from me...We are planning to arrive in LA earlier in the week, any suggestions for how we can best spend the first few days would be appreciated. :)

Well, I don't know about Chicago specifically, but if you are arriving from outside the US (which it sounds like you are) you will have to go through immigration first then pass through airport security again.

It all hinges on what time of day and what day of the week you're arriving and how many other flights are arriving from outside the US at the same time. Two hours is usually enough time, but again, I've never done that song and dance through Chicago, but through Miami, Philadelphia or Houston.

I have done the Chicago O Hare airport and it is hairy! :lol: Actually the first time I flew from there was to England, because it is an international airport. So, two hours should be ok, but like Springmoon said you have to go through immigration first and then get to your gate, which could be on the other side of the airport (they will have trams to take you there). A lot also depends on if your flight from Heathrow or Gatwick or where ever you are flying in from (it is England, isn't it?) is on time. I had no problems, I only had to go through customs on my way back of course (in the US, and in London), and I had to catch a flight from chicago to my home, and it took approx. 5 minutes to get through customs. But this was before 9/11 and I had nothing to declare.

WOO HOO going to buy the ticket this week I think. I found a flight out of Omaha for $200, but am having problems finding a red eye Sunday night, so I am getting some help in that department.

Thanks Springmoon and ThumpyG. :)

Hairy? That doesn't sound great, but then I wasn't expecting it to be. I was trying to gauge if they airline was realistically giving me enough time to make the connection. Usually when I've had connecting flights I went through immigration and then straight to departures, but the only time I have done it in the US was in Miami and we had to go through the whole process and it was a bit of a nightmare.

Yes, we are coming from England. The problem is that we want a flight from Manchester because that is closer to where we live than going down to Heathrow or Gatwick, but there are no direct flights to LA from Manchester. And I'm still being fussy about my flight times because I don't want to leave too early in the morning or arrive in LA too late at night. :lol: It would be easier if there weren't so many options to choose from...We're still undecided on which hotel to choose too, but at least we have booked the time off work and I'm really looking forward to meeting you all. :)

^ Good to know someone else's coming from old Europe... ;)

I know O'Hare! I was just there a week ago. :lol: O'Hare is a big airport, so I'd recommend allowing several hours between connecting flights if possible. Two at the very least, but really, I'd recommend 3-4 if possible. Flights can be delayed, immigration can take a while, etc. The more time you have, the less you'll worry. Worst case scenario in that case is that you get through immigration in half an hour and have a few hours to kill at the gate. There are always the duty-free shops! :D

As for other things to do in LA...I'd recommend The Getty museum (it's free), a museum in Hollywood (there are a couple), a visit to the Mann Chinese Theater and the Kodak theater, a Universal studios tour if you like amusement parks. A trip up to Griffith Observatory would probably be fun (make reservations first, though). If you want to go outside LA, Disneyland is about an hour and a half outside the city. And of course, there's always the beach! :) There's lots to do here!

Thanks for the advice Top. New day, new flight options, I am slowly becoming obsessed with checking flights and prices, actually it's quite fun. :lol:

Yeah, I wasn't convinced we could make it through Chicago in under two hours, not that it would really matter if we missed the connection, there seems to be plenty of flights to LA. New flight options mean that we might be flying back that way, but via Las Vegas on the way there.

Thanks for the touristy advice too, I'm planning to buy a couple of travel guide books this week. :) In case you can't tell, I'm quite excited about it all.

Orison said:
^ Good to know someone else's coming from old Europe... ;)
:D That's nice to know.

Alrighty girls, I just sent a PM to everyone who posted a yes or a maybe and hasn't RSVP'd yet. Don't you dare complain about receiving a form letter PM. :lol: There are just too damn many of you to respond with any degree of personal love. I do love you though ... that is provided you get off your asses and send in your RSVPs. :lol:

This is important: You have 7 days to RSVP or you will not be included in the reservations. I sent PMs since I realize not everyone visits this site everyday and may need an email notification to drag their butts over here. We really need to make the reservations though, so we need an accurate head count at this point. Thanks for your help with this and I hope you're all able to make it for a little LA fun. :D

*yay for me* I won't be asking anymore airport questions, as I have now booked and paid for my flights! :D

I am also resigned to the fact that I most likely won't make my connection on the way home, but I'm in no rush to get home and I quite like airports anyway. :lol:

MrsG has laid the smack down! :lol:

I know July seems far away, but in reality, we're only a little more than two months out from this trip! It's soon, guys! :D Because we'll probably be a large group, we want to make the reservations now so that we won't have to worry about these places being booked up. I know that sounds crazy when we're looking two months down the road, but there's a pizza place in Hollywood that books up for lunch for two people two whole weeks in advance! So yeah, hot spots around here can be tough to get into at times. If for some reason we do need to change any of the places we've picked, better to know that now then close to the date. It's a little wacky around here, but as long as you plan ahead, you're usually fine.

We also want to make sure to get that studio tour booked well in advance.

This is going to be an awesome trip guys! :D I hope many if not all of you will be able to make it! :D

Bought my non-refundable ticket today! :lol:

MrsG, I sent you a PM with the basics, once I get everything else, I will e-mail it to you.

Lookaboomerang , be prepared to get your ass up girl. My flight leaves at 6 am to LA and on the way home, same deal, I leave at 6:40 am from LA on the 23rd (that Monday) But I got a pretty good deal, with the taxes and all.

I'm probably going to buy a ticket that is really similar to yours anyway, flying all the way across the country and all. Yeah, still can't get myself to buy one yet. :lol: I'm rather lazy, forgetful and scared.

Thumpy - Awesome job getting the tickets, but um .... you do realize that getting your butt to LAX in time for a 6:40am flight on Monday requires us to leave Hollywood around 4:30 am, don't you? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lookaboomerang - I know those flights might be hard to match with all the travel you have to make to get to the airport, but if you can try to match hers, that would be awesome. Love you girls, but I'm not making two trips to LAX in the same day. I'd be looking at 3+ hours of driving time. Tell ya what, if they don't coordinate, the person with the shittier arrival or departure time is cabbing it.

The rest of you ladies, follow Thumpy's lead and get on those tickets. Two months may seem like a long way away, but in terms of travel planning, it's really not.

Thanks to all who have responded promptly to my PM. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back