You're Invited: Summer NY Forum Meeting in LA!!!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Orison, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Re: You're Invited: Summer Board Meeting in LA!!!

Sweet! Not that I can't talk or understand English, I just thought I'd warn you that if I tend to be quiet it's because I'm trying to make sense of what the other 16 of you are saying... ;)

2. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

Have you ever wondered if that sweet 19 year old girl you talk to online every day is actually a 57 year old man? Here’s your chance to find out! :lol: Kidding. Actually, here’s your chance to come to the land of sunshine, silicone and movie stars to meet all the friends you’ve made on this board.

It’s time for an official board meeting. When we posted the invite to a Suicide Girls show a while back, many of you responded, “I’d go … if it were on a weekend … if I had more notice … if the Suicide Girls didn’t scare me so much.” :lol: This time the get together is on a weekend, you’re getting six months advance notice and you don’t have to do anything you don’t want to do, so you’ve got no excuses.

Mark your calendars NOW -

Dates: Thursday, July 19 – Sunday, July 22

Wondering what we’re gonna do for four days? The options are limitless. Top and I will come up with a list of potential activities and you guys can definitely add to that list. Then once we know who is definitely in, those who are coming can help decide what we want to put on the itinerary. I’ll handle any reservations, inquiries into group discounts, etc. Everyone can choose which activities they want to participate in and sit any out that they don’t feel like doing. I figure during the day we can take advantage of some of the unique things LA has to offer – studio tours, a tv show taping, the Beverly Hills trifecta of Barneys, Saks and Neiman’s (God bless the genius who put those all in a row for my convenience) or hit some of the smaller boutique shopping areas LA is known for, see the Walk of the Stars or any other touristy shit that might strike your fancy. Then do dinner and go out afterward. Those who prefer to keep things tame can feel free to opt out after dinner without ridicule.

For those not afraid to get up at the crack of dawn and wanting to see something truly spectacular, I’d be all for an early morning hike in Griffith Park (amazing views high in the hills) or an early morning run on the famous stairs on the beach in Santa Monica (as seen in “Entourage” and other clips of celebs running up steep ass stairs on the beach). I say “early morning” because both these activities are best enjoyed before LA wakes up, in my opinion. But if your lazy asses choose to sleep till noon, that’s cool too.

Really, we can do whatever you want. The point is simply to spend some quality face-to-face time with the people we spend so much time with online and just enjoy each other’s company. Don’t know about you, but personally, I’m nosey. I like to know who I’m talking to.

Now for the nitty gritty details. Be warned, this is gonna be another epic MrsG post. If you’re not interested in the details, do yourself a favor and stop reading. I just prefer to attempt to answer most questions up front.

Getting There

We want to try to centralize everyone to the Hollywood area for logistical purposes. It’ll be easier to get everyone from Point A to Point B if we all start out in the same place. It’s close to Top (Studio City) and to me (Hollywood, when I’m down there) and it’s convenient to just about everything you might want to do. Particularly, we’re thinking that if people want to skip any activities and go off on their own or in smaller groups, it’d be helpful to have them staying in an area where there is a lot that’s easily accessible.

You can fly into either LAX or Burbank airports. LAX is further away, but often cheaper because it’s a much larger airport. Burbank is closer, but more expensive to fly into and has fewer available flights. While I personally prefer the convenience of Burbank, if I were visiting LA for the first time and wanted that feeling of truly “arriving in LA,” I’d go with LAX. Burbank is a dump, but that’s just me. :lol:

Once You Arrive

You’ll probably want to pair up into groups depending on your arrival times to shares taxis or rent cars. Some of you will likely need to rent cars. LA isn’t a city where you can get around without a car. Top and I (and likely any LA-based girls) will be driving, but depending on how many people come, we may need more drivers than that. In terms of figuring out who is arriving around the same time as you, I’m a master of organization. I’ll ask everyone to PM me or email me their flight info, which I’ll put into a spreadsheet and distribute to the other people who are coming (via email, not posting any sensitive info on the board). I’ll do the same for cell phone #s and hotel info, just so we can find each other.

If you take a taxi from the airport, the cost is approximately $35 from Burbank or $60 from LAX. So find a buddy or two who are arriving around the same time you are.

If you rent a car, you can do so either at LAX or at the hotel I’ll suggest in a moment.

Accommodations

After researching inexpensive yet reasonably clean and safe hotels in the area, it looks like Best Western Hollywood Plaza may be a good choice. The location is great. It’s a couple blocks north of a major intersection – Hollywood & Highland. Home to the Kodak Theater, the Walk of Stars, the Chinese Theater, a large shopping center, loads of touristy shops, etc. Great place to just wander around. Also, it’s close to the Hollywood hot spots so that if anyone wants to skip out on going to any clubs, it’s quick and easy to return you to your hotel and there’s even stuff to do once you get home. On the flip side of that, if everyone hits the clubs really hard, it’s also possible to have one or two sober people shuttle back and forth to get everyone home safely. But more on that later.

In terms of price, the current internet rate is $110/night. I spoke to the Best Western regarding group rates and learned that the July rate will be going up to $149-179/night. I was able to reserve a block of rooms at a group rate of $125. The only inconvenience there is that to get the group rate, you need to make your reservation by phone. Call Ash at (323) 851-1800 and tell her you’re with the CSI Files group. At this point though, if you know right now that you’re definitely coming, I’d jump all over that internet rate before it goes up. And definitely try to pair up with your other friends from the board. Share rooms. Save costs. However, I intentionally looked for something in this price range so that if some of you aren’t comfortable doing that, the price of doing the rooms as singles shouldn’t be cost prohibitive.

Before any of you complain that the Best Western sucks, I can only say, “No shit” and assure you that I’m in fully agreement. The idea is to make this trip affordable for everyone and many of you are students or just broke. Hence, I went for clean and safe and in a location convenient for tourists. It meets those requirements.

For those with more flexible budgets, I’d go with either the Roosevelt or the Renaissance. Rates run about $300/night, but you’ll get a really nice hotel in the exact same area.

In mentioning this get together to a few people before posting, it came to my attention that people traveling from halfway around the world aren’t going to be staying for just a few days. It wouldn’t make sense. Some would be staying for much longer. If you’re one of those people who might want to stay a couple weeks or a month, you might want to consider renting a furnished apartment instead of staying at a hotel. There are two properties in the Hollywood area I’m familiar with. Sunset & Vine and The Marlowe. If you’re interested in staying at either of those, you can make arrangements by calling Oakwood Properties at (877) 969-5142. I think my rent last summer was $4,200/month, but it’s cheaper than staying at a hotel for extended periods, plus you have the convenience and health benefits of being able to cook your meals instead of eating out three times a day for a month. I had a few upgrades on my rental last summer (“luxury” linens, maid service, etc.) that I’m sure people can do without in order to reduce the cost.

You can also find some good vacation rentals in a variety of price ranges through Vacation Rentals By Owner.

Concerns Some of You May Have

* I’ve never met any online buddies in person. How do I know you’re not all a bunch of freaks?
    You don’t. You just have to trust your gut on that one. Anyone who has been on this board for any length of time likely has a sense that this is a pretty good group of people. I’ve been fortunate enough to meet about a dozen of you and can say in all honesty that I genuinely like everyone I’ve met. I can also tell you that once you have the opportunity to spend time with an internet buddy “in real life,” it’s a beautiful thing to see that in fact these friendships do transcend the board and ARE real. Top is a part of my daily life off this board and that wouldn’t be the case if I had any reservations about real life meetings. I encourage you all to really know the people you spend time with online. Of course there are freaks lurking in every corner of the internet and I’m sure this site is no exception. But there is safety in numbers and this is a group get together.

* Is this going to be a Girls Gone Wild booze fest?
    No. The idea is really just to spend quality time getting to know each other face-to-face. I’m sure we’ll go out at night and I’m sure there will be alcohol involved. However, let’s be real here – for the amount of time you all spend online, I’m gonna go out on a limb and assume you’re not heavy partiers. For those who want to get tanked, feel free. For those who don’t, know that you won’t be alone. I don’t drink at all and I can name at least a couple other girls who don’t either. Also, know that because I don’t drink at all, you’ll always have at least one dead sober driver on hand. :D

* Will I get to meet any of my favorite CSI:NY hotties?
    Not likely. I spend as much time as possible in LA and Top lives there. Neither of us have ever run into one of these guys on the street and you’re probably not going to either. For any deluded fangirls out there – please do not fly halfway around the world in the hopes that you’ll run into Eddie Cahill one night, it’ll be love at first sight, he’ll dump his girlfriend, and you’ll live happily ever after. Get a grip. Not gonna happen.

I think this covers the basics and then some. :lol: Once we know who’s in, we can work out all the specifics and I’ll handle the details. I really encourage everyone to come. We have blast together online. Imagine how much fun we could have in LA!

3. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

I saw your post pop up here and thought you must have a serious case of insomnia happening again tonight :) But now I know - NOT. You've been up all night writing this :lol:

Oh MAN OH MAN. :( I'm half sobbing here. Half way around the world indeed. First I get a little excited thinking it might be possible, but then I think if I only hadn't gone to Western Australia in November. If I only had 12 months notice instead of 6. If only if only.

Finances. Finances are going to be the problem. $1500-$2000 for a plane ticket alone. And I would never be forgiven if I went over and didn't visit friends I haven't seen since 9/11 :lol:

Basically, I need a minor miracle for it to happen :(

I haven't been around this board all that long, but it would be the coolest thing to meet some of the friends I've made on here.

I visited friends in the US in 2001. Friends I had never met in person, but made on the internet. People I really clicked with online have become very very close friends since meeting up with them in person. I've had nothing but the best experience meeting with my online mates.

Awwwww WHAT?? (pout). Well, bum. :lol: :lol: Seriously .. no point telling the deluded that, because the deluded are, well, delusional :rolleyes: and they won't believe you anyway because part of being delusional is believing you are not delusional. Phew. :lol: In that way, being delusional must be a very happy place to be. :p

Another useless word to the delusional: Our favourite CSI hotties, if they are smart hotties, will be leaving town, en masse, for the duration as fast as their legs can carry them, knowing the talkcsi girls are in town :lol: Ergo ... what MrsG said ... it ain't gonna happen.

Wish I could wing this someway ... going to have to do some creative thinking :lol:

4. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Poo. I would love to come, this sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately I live on the other side of the world. I also have a husband and two children and think neither family finances nor family tolerance will run to this.

I am so jealous as I know you'll all have a fantastic time. Without me. Poo.

5. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

STRIPPER CLU- Uhm, tea. Yes. Many, many proper tea parties with only the most prim and proper topics of conversations in utterly decent, shapeless clothes.

:rolleyes:

Not when I'm there!!! :devil: :devil: :devil:

Oh, yes, LA, you better watch it, because when this girl comes, she's coming to stay. :devil: :lol: I'm going to do everything I can possibly do to get to LA before those dates. Thanks so much for the ascertained dateline, MrsG! *glomps ye and Top* It's gonna be a rush for me even with a six months' notice, but I'm gonna give it all I've got!

And, uh, just ignore the first two words of this post.

Unless the male strippers in LA happen to look as smoking hot as you-know-who. ;) :devil: WOO! (Or as one of the latest game consoles is out, WII!)

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

Since I have been playing the same Powerball lottery numbers for the past 6 years and 10 months without success, I can't decide yet. The jackpot for tonight, after taxes, should just about cover transportation costs and maybe a dinner for all. We'll see.

7. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Woman, you scare me. A lot. The organization thing alone has me bowing down to you.

That said, I'll be there. I'll make it a "working vacation" and spend the weekend with you in LA. I've met MrsG, for those of you who have a little trepidation about traipsing out to LA, and, aside from her unnatural teetotal state, she can get us into, or keep us out of as much trou... er, fun that we want.

Come on, people. The more the merrier! Faylinn, I'm looking at you!!

8. MrsGiovinazzo

Duuuude, are you busting on the length of my posts? :lol: But sadly, you are correct. Started this post around midnight. Went to bed around 3:30. :eek: Of course I wasn't writing this the whole time, but it does account for the bulk of that time period. Oh yeah, and it's now only 8:15 and I've been awake for 3 hours. Ugh! Wishing sleeping pills weren't addictive because I could really use some.

Damn, that's expensive! Here's hoping you hit the lottery between now and then. :D

*Prays for a miracle*

Those who have reservations about meeting online friends in real life, take note.

I'm sure they're all booking flights out of town this very instant. Boys, run fast. Should we find one of you, it won't be pretty. You won't know which hickey comes from who and you'll be lucky if you ever find your underwear again. :lol:

I know if it's at all humanly possible, you'll find a way. You're a creative gal.

Sorry, Twinkletoes. :( I know this trip isn't feasible for a lot of people and I do feel badly about that. In an ideal world, it'd be fantastic if we could all be there, but I know that's not reality for a lot of people.

Knew we could count on you to make it lively! :D

Uh oh ... I don't know if LA can handle that. :eek: :devil:

See, girls on the other side of the world, use kimmy as inspiration. She lives in freakin' Malasyia and is trying to make it!

Should those numbers pay off, we'll be counting on seeing you.

You have no idea. :lol: I am a certified FREAK. Wait till I bust a detailed itinerary and spread sheets on your asses. I plan an annual Girl's Weekend for a bunch of girlfriends I've had forever and the level of planning that goes into that is scarey. It's a disorder.

Woo hoo! Now I'm bowing down to the girl who finds a way to travel across country and stick her boss with the tab. :D

Damn right, baby. I may be sober, but that's actually to your benefit. I'll have the clarity of mind to both coordinate the trouble and then bail us out before the cops come. :lol:

"The more the merrier" is never more true than when applied to big group events like this. Make it happen, ladies. Do whatever you need to do to get the time off work or school (note - this is intentionally planned for when school is out). If asking nicely doesn't work, screw it - just call in sick. :lol: As for money - earn it, find it, win the lottery, pimp your ass out, whatever it takes. :lol: Just make it happen.

And, yes, Faylinn - you need this trip more than most. Make it happen!

9. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

My mother would never allow me to fly down to LA by myself (or with any of the people I do know) and stay for four days...but next time (if there is one) I will be down there so fast! And right now I'm saving for a trip to England. I'll look into it, but I don't think it's gonna happen.
    A girl can dream...but you're right, there's not a chance in hell. :D I'll get back to you, Mrs.G! Any calgary girls, take a look at WestJet, tickets under $300 dollars each way.

10. glam_chic86

glam_chic86 Head of the Graveyard Shift

Wow this sounds so tempting :lol:. I will try my best to make it down but it's the damn $$$ that's got a hold on me. Since I've been saving up for a trip to France as well the damn funds are holding me back :(. Anyhoo, I'm gonna try my best to get as many frequent flyer miles as possible so if I do come down most of the expenses will be paid for with my points. And, no jokes about the mile high club please :p. This sounds pretty frigging sweet & since I'll be legal around that time you gals better watch out :devil:.

11. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

I'd like to add my two cents to anyone who might be wondering about the freak factor...a year and a half ago I spent a weekend with Top and midnight_tiptoes and stayed at Top's apartment. The only scary moments I had were going to bed...and that wasn't because I thought they'd murder me in the night, but simply because there was a snow shovel perched precariously next to my head that I was sure was going to fall and decapitate me if I moved. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, Top is awesome and definitely knows how to have a good time. You'll be in good hands with her there. And like Mrs.G said, meeting friends from online can be a beautiful thing. In most cases if you've been talking to someone for quite some time you'd have already picked up a *freak vibe* if they have it. If you haven't got that vibe and you're still in conversation 8 hours a day, chances are you'll get along in person, too. That's just been my experience (says the woman who's marrying a guy she met in the E/C ship thread. :lol: )

Anyhoo, this is really exciting. I would love to go but that's coming up close to the wedding and I might not be able to swing it. I'll know a little closer to summer, but am definitely glad for the advance notice!

12. feenx

feenx Coroner

Wow, that sounds like fun. And there’s enough time for me to save money and maybe even to learn how to drive :rolleyes: :lol:.

13. MrsGiovinazzo

CSI-in_training - Too bad it doesn't sound like it'll work out for you. I remember your pic. You're a hottie. The ugly girls could use you as man bait at the clubs. :lol: ... Of course, you're also under age if I recall correctly, but that's okay. :lol:

jorja - Get your butt down here, girl. I can't even begin to fathom the craziness of the weekend if both you and kimmy descend on LA at the same time. :eek: :devil:

Very well stated. It's been my experience that the people I've met from this board are exactly as I thought they'd be. No surprises yet. If you can get along online all day, odds are you'll hit it off in person too.

I didn't know that. Knew you were getting married, but didn't realize you met your fiancee on this board. That's awesome! The Miami forum must have more men than we do ... do we even have any men in this forum? :lol:

It would be fantastic if you could make it. I'd love to meet Top's former partner in crime. :D

Feenx - You live in freakin' Pacoima. If you can't find a way to get to Hollywood with six months advance notice, you need to be bitch-slapped. :lol: For those unfamiliar with the greater LA area, if the girl started walking right now, she could be there by this afternoon. Not gonna take any excuses from this girl. :lol:

14. BittenByTheWolfe

BittenByTheWolfe CSI Level Three

Lol, yeah, we met in either the E/C thread on here or the E/C thread on FanForum. Either way it was through midnight_tiptoes. :lol: As for having more men in the Miami forum, I have no clue. My fiance only hangs around the E/C thread cause he thinks Emily Procter is hot. :lol:

15. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

Porny, I will be there, so you have no excuse. NONE. :p

But in all seriousness, I too have met MrsG and Top and they are NORMAL, as one can get! :lol: I am the freak! j/k It can be kind of weird to meet someone you met online for the first time, no doubt but as one can see, I was not murdered and they both took care of this midwest girl. :lol:

If anyone can swing it, do it!!!!! You get to meet cool people that are fun to hang around with, in LA and see some kick ass sites.

MrsG, I am up for the hike. *shudders* I can do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.