Will the REAL Danny Messer Please Stand Up?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 26, 2006.

1. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I was deeply saddened and disappointed of the demise of Danny Messer last night. I was oh so hopeful that he wouldn't die, and that this was just a terrible nightmare and I would wake up and he would be fine. But no, that was not the case last night. I will send flowers to his funeral.

How sad that they just ripped his manbits from him so unceremoniously. It is such a cruel, cruel world.

eta:
    dude, how could I not see this and not address this earlier? If I am in attendance at his funeral there will be plenty of alcohol and male strippers. That is a guarantee. :lol:

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

:lol:

I'm still pissed that TPTB decided to ruin a truly great, fascinating, complex character in favor of a superficial, juvenile romance. Still pissed and shocked. Poor Carmine--to put all that work in just to have it tossed aside for this crap? I'd be mad if I were in his shoes.

3. Twinkletoes

Twinkletoes Lab Technician

Let's hope he finds another and better job pronto...

4. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

After last night's travesty with his scenes, I think I might have to actually advocate for the same. I will cry when he leaves, but it would be worth it to see him move on to scenes more worthy of his talents. Unfortunately, he is currently being wasted as a scene-filler.

5. MrsGiovinazzo

MrsGiovinazzo CSI Level Three

You mean one where they don't tease with the promise of this well-crafted character that plays to his strengths, let him savor the taste of that for a while, ride it to success, then ultimately cut off his balls and shove them in some chick's purse while the life is suffocated out of all else that made his character interesting? Yeah, that'd be nice.

Edited to concur with Springmoon's post: The day he leaves the show is the day I stop watching, but he would wholeheartedly have my respect and support if that sad day ever comes. Surely this crap is even more painful for him to perform than it is for us to watch. He seemed to really, truly embrace and enjoy all the complexities of Danny. Playing this one-dimensional lap dog surely can't be rewarding at any point other than payday.

6. chelseagirl

chelseagirl Victim

oh I so agree with you. I dont know why everybody is so against D/L. I am a big fan actually. Even if Danny was serious about someone outside of the lab he would probably act the same way. anyway... thats my input

7. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

Detective Daniel Messer died Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 10:49 PM EST.

Detective Messer’s death was the result of a long illness that not even an amazing actor and fan outcry could overcome. Sadly, at this time there is no known cure for Lindsay, the disease that took Detective Messer’s life. It is believed that the fatal illness is caused by four smaller curable sicknesses that when converged lead to a slow painful and inevitable death.

The first of the sicknesses is network executives that can’t see the art through the field of green, no matter that viewership is up only slightly, no great hurrah considering Law & Order’s departure from Wednesday nights. The second sickness is a show creator that seemingly sacrificed his youngest to facilitate the greenlighting of the next failed network drama. The third sickness is writers who rely on Degrassi Jr. High, Saved by the Bell, and Beverly Hills 90210 for story ideas. The fourth and deadliest attributor to this fatal disease is an actress devoid of discernable emotion or charisma, an insidious tumor blocking the flow of blood to the heart and robbing the joy out of performances and the viewers’ enjoyment. Many fans feel that were this fourth part of the fatal illness removed in time Detective Messer would have experienced a speedy recovery. There were signs he had rebounded, but alas the three weeks were gone too soon and the Grim Reaper swiftly claimed him. More information on this deadly illness can be found all over the NY forum.

He remained beautiful even as death stole his heart, mind, and soul. Dr. Sid Hammerback, or so rumour states, is keeping Detective Messer’s balls in a glass jar should he ever rise from the dead and need them for his triumphant return to greatness. Unlike the rest of us, the good doctor is holding out hope and has employed a team of witch doctors to work a miracle, I fear his efforts are in vain.

This is indeed a somber day, a day we all hoped would never come, the day the infectious smile, lead by the heart, clever, brazen, intelligent, troubled, redeemed, and loved Danny Messer would die such a cruel and unnecessary death. Even worse, it appears Detective Messer’s death will be as painful as the final days of his life.

Detective Messer is survived by a resurrected mother, allegedly a father, and he may or may not have been preceded in death by an older brother, Louie. He will also be remembered fondly by his unshakeable yet neglected friend the usually unflappable Detective Don Flack, Jr. who is now be treated by a team of doctors for his unbearable grief. When asked for a comment Detective Flack muttered but a single phrase over and over, “I’ll kill her”. Though we all share the sentiment let us hope he does not follow through on the threat as it would be unfathomable to lose another great character to Lindsay, we must all simply learn to let go.

In lieu of flowers, the fans ask that you make donations to The Home for Great Characters that Once Were.

8. peanut

peanut Prime Suspect

oh *sigh*
    just got done LMFAO...

so true, he'll be beautiful no matter what...

all in all, best damn eulogy I've ever read! :)

9. PrettyEyes

PrettyEyes Pathologist

Thank you. The NCIS writers and NY writers must have gone on the same writing retreat, because they're doing the same thing with DiNozzo and Danny. Both have fallen for a girl, and have changed their ways. I don't know why that's so unpalatable.

I would think we'd all be open-minded. I've been watching S1 repeats on Spike, and I'm actually beginning to like Aiden and see why you all like S1 Danny. His immaturity was refreshing at the time. However, had Danny not matured and changed over the seasons I would have begun to think he was emotionally stunted and one-dimensional. That's unappealing.

10. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

Oh yeah..........wonderfully put.......

And I suppose I can only hope that the continuity fairy is going to be buried in the same mass grave as the whole Danny Lindsay shebang, debacle, farce, (northern England saying.... shebang...don't read too much into it...lol)

11. JDonne

JDonne CSI Level One

If they did go to the same school then that explains the awful taste in my mouth since I find NCIS to be an awful show. There is maturity and growth and then there is a complete annihilation of a character's foundation and history. The core of what Danny was has been driven away by an insane need to strap him into what I feel and see as a chemistry free poorly written sophomoric romance. I suppose the difference is in the way people see the character and the way people see the world. I suppose I could say I don't know why people find the relationship between Danny and Lindsay so palatable that they feel it has changed the show for the better - again I'll chalk it up to opinion, nature, nurture, and whatever else I can throw into the mix.

However, if the character on NCIS and this "girl" he has fallen for have any discernable chemistry then as far as I'm concerned they already have one up on Danny and Lindsay.

12. crankyjules

crankyjules Police Officer

[​IMG] Excellent point JDonne. There is a distinction between the two. And to attribute Danny's maturity to the advent of Lindsay arriving on the scene is utter crud. I would be more inclined to say it was because of his wish to impress Mac and be the best CSI he could be. He has ambition.

Too true. Gazing off into the distance? Hallucinating Lindsay? There is no doubt as to who this poor excuse for an adult romance is 'aimed' at.

Bravo woman. Love ya. ;)

13. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

Awesome post, JDonne. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry while reading it.

As soon as I saw the whole 'allucination' scene I knew that was it. Man, how sad was that? Lack of sleep doesn't even begin to explain what happened to his character.

It was far worse than I expected.

Still, I'm kind of hoping against hope that they'll resuscitate him in time for the season finale...

14. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

JDonne -- *standing ovation*

What a waste of promise. Maaaaaan.... i'mma cry.

Tell me where the wake is. I'll be picking out my black dress now.

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Well, what you pretty much outlined right there what's so unpalatable about it: that a once fascinating and wholly unique character whose development was so original and specific to him has basically been changed for a cliched love story that's being played out in pretty much exactly the same way on another show on the same network.

Going for an uninspired cliche is so inferior and disappointing compared to the richness that came before is just such a drop in quality that it's absurd.