Will the REAL Danny Messer Please Stand Up?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Because I feel like I haven't see the character I loved all season.

Danny isn't (wasn't?) the most popular character on CSI: NY because he's cute. Good looking guys are a dime a dozen on TV. It was Danny's passion and intensity that made him interesting to watch. This sedate, supposedly more "mature" Danny is just plain boring.

In real life, people mature and grow, but that doesn't necessarily make for great drama. It was impossible to take your eyes off Danny when he was going off on a suspect or taking a case too personally; now it's hard to remember any of his lines. I think he can change and grow up a bit (like he did in Run Silent, Run Deep, when he went to Mac with the evidence that his DNA was found at a crime scene) without changing the core of who he is.

Of course he can't be yelling at suspects or having an emotional meltdown all the time. But the little things that made his character fun to watch--complaining about the smell of fish, sighing dramatically when he couldn't make sense of evidence, teasing the people he works with--seem to be missing as well.

Oh, and making him Mary Sue Monroe's bitch was a major misstep. Regardless of whether you think Danny and Lindsay are the best couple in CSI history or a chemistry-free match up, there's nothing sexy about a doormat, and that's what Danny's been this season.

Love him or hate him, Danny was always interesting to watch and discuss. There's nothing worse than a boring character, except for maybe one who was once compelling but has now lost all of his bite.

Agree? Disagree? Have at it! (but keep it civil ;) )

2. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

I have a confession to make.

The real Danny Messer is currently living in my bedroom. You see, I abducted him over a year ago, performed many interesting tests on him, and have kept him nicely fed and trussed up. In order to make sure nobody figured out he was missing, I created an identical clone and stuck him in place of the real Danny.

Unfortunately, it seems the stupid cloning procedure has watered the clone's personality down along with his DNA. I mean, going after Wheat Girl over Nixon Suicide? Please let me go kick my cloning machine after this post.

Ah, hold on a sec.

The real Danny says he'll be back soon. Right after he's done with the Jackhammer. That battery-hogger. Does he know how much they cost?!

3. Orison

Orison CSI Level Two

I still haven't watched last night's episode but I assume there's been no change since you opened this thread and that's a real shame.

I have to say though what I read for episode #11 made me very hopeful, it was just like the good, old days. I know it's kind of frustrating to see some old spark pop up here and there but I'm convinced the "real" Danny's still in there somewhere, it's just up to the writers to bring him back. Now how do we convince them?

And I'd LOVE to know what Carmine thinks about S3 Danny...

4. messinwithmesser

messinwithmesser Lab Technician

kimmychu - i hope you release him soon! WE NEED THE REAL DANNY MESSER! he was barely noticeable in tonite's episode! as TOP mentioned, he must have been on his meds... i might have to re-watch it to remember he was even in it! :rolleyes:

don't mean to disrespect the D/L shippers, but i really don't like the fact that he's come off as a pu$$y when it comes to lindsay. :mad: wonder what she's got that he's so attracted to her? it just makes me even more curious what the other danny girlfriends were like.. :confused: move on danny, there's better looking and more interesting women in NYC! hopefully later in the season, we'll see the old danny back!

5. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Well, I haven't seen any of the season3 episodes yet but I sort of get what you're trying to say, Top.

Like I said previously on the Carmine thread at the News Topics, they have exhausted everything on the character development of Danny. I think it's because maybe the producers plan to make every season 'themed' per character. Last season's was his ... this one... idk.

As for them forcing Danny to be with Lindsey -- idk. I'm no D/L shipper and as much as I want to warm up to the idea, I just can't. Chemistry (biology, physics even) isn't there on-screen and you can almost feel the actors themselves...not being excited or even interested in entertaining the idea.

So there, I hope the producers realize that Danny is one of those characters whom you need to see.

6. goreshi

goreshi Rookie

I agree with chaos (we always agree on things... ;)), they are trying to make a character themed season, but they should also take in mind that they should not let one character to be stagnant.

As for the danny/lindsay thing....they don't have chemistry, I just don't get it why they are making an item about it when they don't spark on screen (i'm sorry for those d/l fans...)....and you don't feel anything about it when you're watching both of them....:(

but we'll have to wait what's in-store for them since we have a long way to go with season 3 and we still do not know if they will pursue with d/l or not... :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I haven't watched season 3 since it is not out in the uk yet, but I have read somethings. I agree with you guys, it does seem that Danny has changed alot. The whole Lindsay and Danny I screamed when I heard about it. I was not impressed at all. I mean I know it has been a whole season but I can't get used to her, for some reason I don't like the character.
    They don't have chemistry like Danny/Aiden (I know , I know I have to get over it, but it is really hard)
    I'm glad that lindsy said no to Danny and I hope that the writer do not develop their relationship any further

8. kissmesweet

kissmesweet Coroner

:lol: Thanks; that cheered me up. Even though I'm a DL fan, I do see how much Danny has changed. He's turned from teasing and fun to... a little bland and a pushover. But I'm sure that CBS will do a better job in the future episodes.

9. Tequesta

Tequesta Rookie

I haven't seen any of the Season 3 eps yet, as they're still showing repeats of Season 2 in thwe UK. But from what I've read,Danny seems to have changed a lot :( give us Danny back pleeeeeeeeeeease?

10. CSI808

CSI808 Rookie

They need to put him back with Stella on cases so we them both play the "bad" cop. It would've been fun to see Danny yell at that prissy model had he gotten to be the one interrogating her.

11. jolein

jolein Pathologist

It`s been a long time since I been here but I felt I should react to this cause seriously this a subject which is annoying me a lot.Personally,I like that Danny has grown.
    You think he isn`t interesting I think he is actually more interesting.
    I rather see someone who is growing and maturing and keep his own temper then a 30 year old drama queen.
    Danny became pretty boring in season 1 cause I could tell what he was gonna do.

I guess this is a dangerous thing to say here cause people here seem to think differently,but for me seeing Danny grow is much more to enjoy and I hope he gets even more mature

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Now that I have seasons one and two on DVD, I'm going to watch it all in a marathon and really try to analyze the character development of Danny Messer.

I like him better now that he's mellowed a bit and is less of a hot head. As far as who Danny Messer is as a person, he just can't keep being a loose cannon and expect to keep his job. I don't see that he's "on Prozac" any more than the rest of the cast. You don't see Mac or Hawkes running around flying off the handle.

It has occured to me more than once, (and I'm hope I'm wrong) that perhaps Carmine is getting tired of playing the role. Period. Not tired of how they are writing his character, but just tired of being Danny Messer. Like I said, I hope I'm wrong!!! I think that most actors go through periods of developing their characters and maybe that's where Carmine is right now. I don't think you can blame it all on the writers. The actors *do* have input. Look at how many times Eddie has ad-libbed or told us how he had input into the delivery of Don Flack.

I agree that things are different but I don't see that they are bad. I didn't really get into the show big time until S2, but I have gone back and watched all of both seasons now, and my assessment of Danny in S1 was that he'd better grow up and settle down or he's gonna be out on his ass.

As for Lindsay, as much as I try to see the best and not be condemming of anyone or anything, I wish they'd decide who they want her to be. It's like they spent all of S2 experimenting with the character and they still haven't figured it out yet. I'm hoping that this stuff that's coming up will give Lindsay some stability. As she relates to Danny, the way I see it is that Danny has grown up and he's wanting a real relationship, more than just casual stuff. After spending that much time working so closely together, it makes sense that something would develop. These people don't have much time for a real social life, so who are they gonna hook up with? Each other. It's happened to me many times, so it makes sense. But I don't see that Danny is Lindsay's *bitch*. Why? Because he has feelings for her? Because he's trying to be sensitive and mature? I know I'm in the minority, but I like Danny Messer the way he is at this point.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I love CSI and when I tried watching CSI NY then (Season 1), I didn't like it because of Danny and Aiden, ESPECIALLY Aiden. But I'm not going to go on detail why I don't like her, it's just that she was annoying to me as Lindsay is annoying to most of the people here. Anyway, when I had the chance to watch an episode of Season 2 and saw Danny different from what I've seen in Season 1, I got interested. When I saw him interact with Lindsay, I got hooked!

I firmly believed that Danny and Lindsay are one of the reasons why the ratings are up. So, I hope the writers don't do another "season 1" Danny. His character has evolved now which is a normal occurence after going through a lot, especially the one with his brother. To move on and stay tough and unperturbed all the time is just freakishly impossible.

So, writers, please let the present Danny stay and concetrate on quality writing now that a lot of people are watching the show.

14. Nim

Nim Pathologist

I read some opinions before posting mine.
    Because I wanted to see all your observations about the characters and the evolution of it during the seasons.

I don't know, maybe it's because everytime I see Carmine, my heart goes boom and I lose my sens of criticism :rolleyes:, but... I like Danny in all three seasons.
    He's different, from the lab geek of S1 to the level headed detective of S3. And I like this evolution because he gotta prove to Mac he deserves his respect and trust, after the Tanglewood case.

About Danny and Lindsay, well... I've always liked CSI because it's centred on science and forensic case.
    When there was that Grissom-Sidle thing, I was like "oh no... not a love story, please".
    Same with Caine-Salas on CSI:Miami.
    What I'm trying to say is that I'd like to see Danny happy with a woman, but I don't wanna actually watch it on tv... well, if it's a sex scene under the shower, I'm for it 100%!!! :devil:

About the look... like I said, I'm totally in love with Carmine, I sigh everytime Danny is on screen... :rolleyes:

15. detectdevotion

detectdevotion Police Officer

I agree that it would be nice to see some of the volitile Danny back. This kid grew up in the Bronx in a family under surveillance for mob activities. He hung out with the Tanglewood Boys. He's obviously not a passive-aggresive guy.

But I have to also agree with the fact that had Danny continued on the path he was on in Season 1, he would have been fired long ago. I think what we're seeing is an attempt to show that Messer has learned his lesson -- unfortunately, I think they didn't spend enough time developing this over time. Instead, the character we're seeing now seems a bit muted.

It's possible -- maybe not probable, but possible -- that this quieter Danny is also the product of what happened to Louie. I think he's come very close to losing two very important things thanks to his temper: his job AND his brother. Rather than attributing this to Lindsay, I see it as Danny realizing that it was his immediate anger at Louie for brushing him off that night at the stadium that lead to years of strife between the two. I see Danny as realizing that his temper has cost him a promotion and came very close to costing him his job -- and more than once.

But on the other hand, I'd like to see Danny get a little fired up again -- in appropriate situations. He's a passionate, protective guy, and I'd like to see him acting as such once again. It sounds like his protective side, at least, might come out in full force from the spoilers about episode 11, and it'll be nice to see him standing up for Hawkes. Maybe we'll see some of the old fire back, but in a way more professionally acceptable than simply shrugging off everyone's good advice and acting like a hot-headed child. Not that I didn't like Season 1 Danny, but growth in a show like this, especially for a character like that, is vital.