Why Lindsay Must Stay!

I like how Lindsay gets excited about the small things. One of her best scenes was when she first started on the show, shooting that crossbow. Her excitement was amusing, as was her interaction with Mac. She really interacts well with Mac and Stella. In some ways, I wish the show had kept course with that Lindsay, and while I like Lindsay, things could be different in her characterization. That being said, I see no reason why Lindsay shouldn't stay, I, being in the minority it seems, have liked her.

^ I too liked that scene.

The only problem I have is that her character (and this is down to Anna and the writers) seems to change constantly. It's like Anna's not aware of who her character is, she doesn't have a 'base line' from which to work from. As a result, she just seems really up and down all the time.

Scenes like that ^ are great, and if they kept her in character for the rest of the series, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem.

Lindsay just doesn't seem to be a character; she'd be good to pop in every now and then, that way she might be 'Lindsay' rather than have me going, 'oh, I wonder what she's going to be like this week'. It gets annoying.

adorelo said:
^ I too liked that scene.

The only problem I have is that her character (and this is down to Anna and the writers) seems to change constantly. It's like Anna's not aware of who her character is, she doesn't have a 'base line' from which to work from. As a result, she just seems really up and down all the time.

Scenes like that ^ are great, and if they kept her in character for the rest of the series, I probably wouldn't have as much of a problem.

Lindsay just doesn't seem to be a character; she'd be good to pop in every now and then, that way she might be 'Lindsay' rather than have me going, 'oh, I wonder what she's going to be like this week'. It gets annoying.

Exactly. She never does anything consistently enough to say what her actual personality is.

Well, she's consistently selfish and rude, but that's about it.

Top41 said:
Lindsay must stay to provide long, hard-to-follow expositions that are so drawn out they sometimes even frustrate Mac!

Lindsay must stay to remind us that people who are Not From New York do in fact work in New York! At least one Montana reference per episode should do it, bonus points for more.

Lindsay must stay to remind us that not all CSIs are empathetic. She can give bad news to fathers all day!

Lindsay must stay to show us the importance of brownnosing. Leave the work to a colleague until it becomes apparent that the case personally relates to the boss, and then by all means, jump in!

Lindsay must stay to remind us that complaining can get you out of tasks, especially if the person you complain to is a sweet guy who likes you.

Lindsay must stay to show us it's okay to yell at a superior, if you're having a bad day.

Lindsay must stay to leave crime scenes if they don't suit her.

Lindsay must stay to show us that it's possible to be thoroughly unlikable and still land the hot guy at work (never mind if the hot guy has self-esteem issues that cause him to trust those he shouldn't and seek out people who hurt him).

Lindsay must stay to remind us again and again that it's All About Her, whether it be because her boyfriend is in pain (mentally or physically, it makes no difference! It's still All About Lindsay), she wants to be at a crime scene, she doesn't want to be at a crime scene, she thinks she's right about something (regardless of what that silly evidence says!)...just remember, in Lindsay's mind, the world revolves around her, period. All other people and things are incidental.

And for my final one...Lindsay must stay because NY has a huge insect problem and, well, someone's got to eat them! :lol: ;)
Top, there are many reasons why I love you and this list just made that list.

Well, this thread sure opened a can of worms, didn't it? :lol:

I present this challenge in all sincerity:

I would like those who are fans of Lindsay to tell us why you like her without ever mentioning or make any reference to her being in a relationship with Danny. After all, a main character should be more than capable of standing up on their own without another to prop them up all the time, right? What happens if and when Lindsay is no longer tied to Danny? Tell us about her as an independant character! If the only good thing Lindsay has about her character is that she's with Danny / Danny 'loves' her (not proven in canon unless you consider sex = love, in which I'll tell you you're gonna be in for a real wake up call in the real world) ... then I guess that speaks for itself.

I would also like to see these reasonings backed up with canon proof from the show. Moreover, this proof shouldn't be presented as influenced beforehand by shipper preferences or TPTB statements outside of canon. It's what's visible and clear on the show that makes for the strongest evidence. For example, when you say Lindsay is funny or feisty or can hold her own, tell us where in canon this was shown. What episode, what scene, what exactly did she say or do, etc. Simply listing out random adjectives doesn't prove anything but only tell us how you see her, which is very different from trying to prove why she must stay and also likely different from describing Lindsay as she is in canon.

This thread is about Lindsay, not D/L. If the only reason you have for why Lindsay must stay is D/L, well, please to be reading the last line of the first paragraph again.

^^ Thank you Top41 and Kimmychu . Well said. You just made my day!!!!

Okay, really? Another Lindsay thread? Just Kidding. I only liked Lindsay in Zoo York because she seemed so professional, was a tough girl ready to work in a big city and was ready for anything (like tackling that suspect). I mean, I think she said it was her dream to work in a big city, not sure, don't quote me on that. Instead, she comes to New York and whines about everything as if other people should do her job for her because Mac personally chose her to join his team? Gah, everything about her just went downhill. Perhaps the country would suit her better, she could just sit there and shoot at boys.

^^Yeah, but why do you think that because I think she is far from awesome. :confused:

Does anybody have any canon reasons Lindsay should stay?

BTW, I do agree with catey about liking the crossbow scene. However, that is just about the only scene of her I enjoyed.

I'll take up the challenge. Since we are being so specific, I am going to research. Now, every analysis, unhappily, has some form of opinion in it, and my interpretation of character reactions to Lindsay will definitely be different from those in the "Why Lindsay Really Must Go" thread.

So I will back up my choices on Lindsay, and as an added bonus, I will even write up how she could improve character-wise.

This is a great exercise...I have a whole thing on Danny, Stella and Hawkes I'd love to post. Should I post those in their character threads? They aren't excessively positive unfortunately, so I wasn't sure if I should start up a new thread or not.

Surreal_44 said:
I'll take up the challenge. Since we are being so specific, I am going to research. Now, every analysis, unhappily, has some form of opinion in it, and my interpretation of character reactions to Lindsay will definitely be different from those in the "Why Lindsay Really Must Go" thread.

So I will back up my choices on Lindsay, and as an added bonus, I will even write up how she could improve character-wise.

This is a great exercise...I have a whole thing on Danny, Stella and Hawkes I'd love to post. Should I post those in their character threads? They aren't excessively positive unfortunately, so I wasn't sure if I should start up a new thread or not.

As the mods have said, character threads are for all opinions, positive or negative. It's only when things get personal and/or disrespectful that problems arise.

I for one would be very interested to see someone who has repeatedly said they are at best indifferent to Lindsay expound on what makes her likeable.

Surreal_44, I look forward to your thesis on Lindsay.

Just to forewarn you, though, since you have promised to write all that you have mentioned, we will all be waiting for everything listed out in your post.

What interests me most is ... if you think she's such a wonderful character, why do you still feel that she needs to improve?

PerfectAnomaly: I actually didn't really care much about Lindsay until I got to this forum. I saw the utter hatred people had for her, and I wondered what I had missed out on. About this time I finally had the money to order the dvds, so I spent a lot of time watching Lindsay, and I discovered I kind of like her. She's not my favorite character, but I don't find her the unlikeable evil of all evils that a lot of people on this forum say she is.

Besides, I do this kind of thing. For example, I dislike (in the Pirates of the Caribbean fandom) the pairing of J/E...but I've written J/E fics with various people, as well as a long explanation on how they could have ended up together in AWE.

I like the challenge of thinking outside the box. Anyone can say Lindsay's hair is ugly or that Anna is a horrible/wonderful actress. What's challenging is proving either viewpoint with true, strict analysis of canon, which I will attempt (I may fail, who knows) to provide.

Kimmychu: I'm sure everyone is just overly-anxious to read my character analysis. I'm also looking at complaints of Lindsay's character, and offering up analysis on whether I agree the particular complaints are true canon or not, as well as adding in character comparisons.

Also, while working on this project last night, I decided I would add a section in on her relationships with the other characters. This does include Danny. Fortunately, I am NOT a Danny/Lindsay shipper, so you will not be forced to endure "OMG, they is the hotness!!!111!!1".

Also, I'd like to point out that I never said that I thought Lindsay was a wonderful character. I disagree with many people on who and what she is as a character.

One other thing: I love Flack. I really do. I think he's the best character on the show. I love Mac too. I still see room for improvement for both of them.

If I like a character, it does mean that I think they are perfect and without need to change. There is always room for improvement both with writing and acting.

I kinda wanted to say something because I actually like her as a character, not because of the DL stuff that I can give or take I don't like the fluffy scenes and a show like CSI it doesn't fit.

But I've kind of liked her since she started mainly because she is different and brings a whole different way of looking at things and she is almost a breath of fresh air see's it different to they do maybe in some respects. Her long explanations can be annoying at times but she gets to the point and normally the explanation has relevance.

her excitement is one part i love, its nice to see someone excited by results and enjoy there job. if you've worked so hard to get there, make the most of it.

I understand why people say she doesn't have a real personality in a sense because she has been given a whole heap of different traits and some really clash against what we see in one ep and then different in another. Between s2-s3 we saw her kinda grown into it she was fully part of the team by s3. If this season they could start to build on her as a single person it would be great.

S3 was awkward anyway i did find it mixed but when it was non her past stuff i liked her. The whole DL stuff could have been done a hell of a lot better. I liked the end scene is SD a lot say she was self centred but if i was her i would be thinking "i should have been there"

Though this season its been soo much better i like her when she's more light hearted it suits her style if thats the right words.

Its really hard to write what I wanna say because it never comes out right. I hope I didn't just babble.

Back