Why Lindsay Must Go (Part 3)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miss_blue

miss_blue Lab Technician

Again I try not to feel offended by that, but I get again the vibe that you are assuming that we like Danny because he is hot. Not true, and I think it will be the last time I will say it.

Even when the writers gave Lindsay a storyline she needed Danny around. I am thinking about the Montana trip Danny made just to be there for Lindsay. I always felt like TPTB are always making other people mold after Lindsay's needs. And the biggest one for me is Mac's sudden transformation from Mr. You Have To Do Everything By The Book, to completely opposite. Nothing excuses what he did with her, when he has chewed up Hawkes and Adam for a lot less.

And I don't think that Carmine is as bad as you think. But this is a matter of perception. We are at 3300 posts for reasons why we don't like Lindsay. This must be a sign right?

2. jolein

jolein Pathologist

3. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

OKay, I'm not all that good at this multiple quoting yet, so if this is a mess, that's my fault, so sorry.

My take on it is I don't see why she has to be with mainly ANYONE. She can be put with different people in different situations. Notice that Mac's not only with Stella, Flack, Danny, Angell or Hawkes. He's spread around. Same thing with Stella, Angell, Flack, and Hawkes. Even during Season 1, they didn't staple characters to each other exclusively. Lindsay is the only character that's stapled to another. Perhaps from season 3 onward, when she's not stapled to Danny, she fades into the background. I agree, it would be REALLY OOC for Mac to be closer to Lindsay like that. He's always been a bit of a father figure, but he's not the soft and cuddly type father figure. The rules are the rules, and he considers all of his staff adults, so they should know what they're supposed to do.....Although with that scene in LWfM, I don't know....Still, I wouldn't like it if they went there.

IIRC, what put Lindsay on Mac's radar, according to Stella in "Zoo York" is her work on some case in Bozeman. Her thouroughness and attention to detail was the reasn she gave for him hiring her.

Of course, he had to know about her "dark secret," though I agree, having been a victim of a crime does not preclude one from being a good CSI/Cop. Nor woule it make one unstable... (Look at was Stella went through in All Access, Nick Stokes in Grave Danger, etc. Yeah, there were some after effects, but nothing like the emo trainwreck that was Season 3 Lindsay.) I can see why her having dealt with that would have made Mac want to send her back to the Lab in Manhattan Manhunt, but....still, there was nothing before or even up until Season 3 to indicate that there would be a problem in that regard. I can see her having issues after receiving the call about them getting a suspect, but....not to the level she showed.

I don't know, I think the writers really botched her character, and there may not be a way to get around it or explain it away.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Maybe--although this might shock you--you're as repetitive (if not more so) than the people you repeatedly chastise. I realize that you like to get attention by being a long-winded ass, but this does not remotely make your opinion better or more correct than the rest of us.

Also, you're no more qualified to say what other people think than we are.

Opinions = a**holes, blah blah blah.

Are you intentionally dense?

Repetitive post is repetitive.

Is it impossible for you to agree or disagree without being contentious? 'I don't agree with _____. However, I do agree with ______.' Of course, you might not get people so annoyed with you if you did it that way. :rolleyes:

5. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

With Anna's acting skills (or lack thereof), I don't see how they like her performances. But I know, that might shock you.

And I know for a fact I personally and most of the people I know can't stand her performances. God, I watched "Silent Night" the other night, just for the fact that Marlee Matlin was in it, and Lindsay was just so darn horrible.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Urgh. I am not thrilled to come home from a long day of work to find this.

Fay, you're a mod. You know better than to call someone a "long-winded ass." Flaming is not okay from anyone, especially mods. I don't care how obnoxious you think someone is being--that's not the way we let users address each other here, and mods are supposed to uphold a higher standard. If you think someone is out of line in this forum, let Elsie and me know.

Surreal_44, the condescending has got to stop, as has the off topic posting. Saying stuff like "although this might shock you!" is meant to inflame. That's trolling. If you want to come in here to post something relevant (like the second half of your post), great, but leave out the condescension or stay out of the thread. Also, this thread isn't about Carmine. Want to start a "Why Danny Must Go" thread? Be my guest. But constantly trying to drag this thread off topic is annoying and undermines any valid or thought-provoking point you might make.

I'm not warning either of you, this time. Next time, I will. So let's not have a next time.

7. Faylinn

I apologize, it won't happen again. I do know better, and it wasn't an appropriate response.

8. snickerdoodle

snickerdoodle Dead on Arrival

I think my issue with Lindsay has been around since the beginning, and it has to do with character development, or lack of it.

To make my comparison, I'll use Danny as an example. With Danny's character throughout Season 1 there was always a vibe that there was something much deeper about the character. It made you wonder what happened in his past and what he was capable of in the future. He had an intensity and an energy simmering just under his skin. There was a darkness and a cockiness and to me it left the viewer wanting to know more about Danny.

When Lindsay was introduced, it was immediately known that she was from Montana and other than determining that, the writers didn't develop the character enough, and it seemed like that was enough explanation in their eyes. She's from Montana; what more do you need to know. I never found there to be anything below the surface that said "you want to know more about me, to know about my hidden depths". Even when the big, dark secret was coming to light, it felt like it was coming from left field and the effects of her past on Lindsay didn't appear in previous cases and came out of nowhere.

If any other characters were to leave, I think it would leave a hole in the cast and I would miss them throughout the season. Lindsay could go and it wouldn't be a blip on my radar. The writers blew it on her character development and I invested nothing into her.

I try not to be hard on Anna as an acress, as my only experience with acting was in the 3rd grade when I played Santa's lead elf and my performance blew chunks! Also, Anna is a Maine girl and I try to be supportive of anyone who comes from my state. But....Anna's performance really hasn't pulled me into any of Lindsay's storylines. They feel flat to me.

9. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Yep, there were quite a lot of people who mentioned very similar sentiments when Lindsay did 'leave' for a few episodes (or was it just one or two episodes?). :lol: Some people commented in their reviews that the show improved with her absence, and that the show did more than fine without her. If I recall correctly, there were even a few viewers who'd stopped watching the show because of her return to watch it during the woefully short period which Lindsay was gone.

10. Faylinn

I was surprised at how relieved I was to watch the show without her there during season 3. I believe it was only three episodes (3.15-3.17?), but my viewing experience was much improved during that time. She wasn't going to pop up, and seeing the non-reaction from the other characters to her absence was telling IMO. I don't watch Vegas very closely, but I believe when Grissom left for a few episodes, his absence was important to the plot of the episodes he was not in. When Lindsay was gone, it was like she may as well have fallen off the face of the earth.

Until she was coming back, of course, and then Danny suddenly had to be over-the-top about it. I don't think Danny acted at all odd during her absence, as far as I remember (and I mean 'odd' as in seeming out-of-character), but as soon as she was going to return, so did his strange behavior. How can we blame it on anything else? How is he 'maturing' or 'changing for the better', or whatever else, if he only acts that way where Lindsay is involved? I don't like that one inconsistent character makes another character seem inconsistent.

Or, for that matter, that one annoying character can make a character I like more annoying by proximity.

11. miss bolshoi bz

miss bolshoi bz Victim

Hi..i'm new here,well,obviously.I just want to say i was so surprised AB got the role for Lindsay.I mean,that girl simply can't act.The romance between her and Danny is so forced and stiff,with the passion of p##.The storyilne between them is just beyond ridiculuous.But what makes it worse is her acting.I'm a big fan of prison break as well,sorry,so i can't help but comparing Lindsay with Sarah.I completely disagree with that kind of romance thingy in PB too,but at least Sarah can act for what it's worth..I'm a bit put off to watch season 4( season 4 has just started here) after what happened between them in finale.Cringe...Anyway,i'll stop blabbering.Forgive my limited vocabularies and grammar as my English is still being repaired.

12. privatename

privatename Rookie

I completely agree that there is no chemistry between Danny and Lindsay and that it has always seemed forced. I do wonder if they had just left her the way she was in Season 2 and not tried to give her a lot of drama (e.g. the deep dark secret and a rocky relationship), if I would be as annoyed by her presence as I am because where she really falls short is in the scenes where she needs to express emotion. I don't ever think I would have liked her, but if they kept her light without a lot of angst, I don't think her shortcomings as an actress would be as apparent. Of course, I thought her "I rock" scene was pretty awful and awkward so maybe she would be as annoying to me even if she had been kept light and fluffy.

And don't worry about your English. I am always really impressed with anyone who can speak and/or write in two languages!

I don't know much about acting either and I really don't think I am that critical of actors in general, so I can't help but feel that if I think that her acting is subpar, it must be glaringly bad.

My viewing experience was also improved during that time. I also am always pleased when I catch a rerun from Season 1 because I know that Lindsay won't be in it.

13. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Same here. Those episodes are some of, if not the best proof that Lindsay is expendable and, well, useless as a main character. Even as a recurring (which TPTB did originally plan to make her), she won't have much to keep her around apart from being the Llama in the Drama Llama. So if my suspicion that TPTB is separating Danny and Lindsay and distancing her from him in order to stop using Danny as a prop, season five may be the make-or-break season for Lindsay.

Either that or she's hoisted onto the rest of the cast so they become her new props instead, with the difference that the Prop Job may now be spread out to everyone. Gah.

That made me :lol: big time. The Passion of Pee!

Yeah, that's one of the biggest gripes people have about her. The emotion never reaches her eyes, and half the time not even in her voice. Pretty damn difficult to figure out what she's emoting, unless you look to other actors in the scene for cues and play the guessing game. (And then there are those who simply don't care whether she can emote or not because she's only useful as a proxy for their fantasies, but that's a whole other discussion.) Why else was she lobbed onto the most popular and emotionally expressive character?

If her acting was much better and she actually put in effort, things might be different. As it is, yeah ... the phrase 'dead fish eyes' comes to mind.

I think TPTB came up with all that drama for the very sake of getting Lindsay into the limelight in the hopes it would generate interest from the audience for her character. Without that drama, would we even have taken notice of her? She's never been able to stand out even though she's from Montana and all that, hence the writers coming up with drama for her to 'force' the audience to know more about her. Seeing as the WLMG thread is going strong as ever after three seasons of her being on the show, TPTB's failed to endear her to viewers.

(Hah, don't even get me going on how desperately they're pimping Lindsay where I am right now. They're resorting to giving free prizes, with the catch that you have to, I kid you not, 'listen to what Detective Lindsay Monroe has to say about the show'. :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: It's so sad you wanna send TPTB pity checks or something.)

14. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

I wouldn't necessarily mind her foisted onto the rest of the cast, so long as TPTB did it in an unobtrusive, non-obvious way. IMO, they weren't obvious about it in Season 2, so I barely noticed it. I've seen All of the first two seasons, most of Season 3 (I think there's four eps I've not seen) and all but two of season 4, and I agree, when Lindsay's not there I just don't notice/care. I'd imagine a lot of the other viewers feel the same way.

It would be really nice if they'd make a decision about her, either keep her or dump her, although, with the quotes from Zuiker, saying that her crying scene in SOoH was great acting or whatever, I don't think they'll dump her anytime soon.

Fact is, however, Anna can't do drama, so it ends up looking ridiculous most of the time. I agree with you, Kimmychu her expression DOESN'T reach her eyes, and thus, she's not believable.

I find that ridiculous about them saying "Pay attention to what Detective Monroe Says!" That's just unreal. :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw: Indeed!

15. Jaer

Jaer Police Officer

Maybe they hope that if you're paying attention to what Detective Monroe is saying you won't notice how atrocious her acting is. It's a theory.:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.