Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

It wasn't me Rocky Holland wasn't on this list from the newspaper:confused: congrat anyway:bolian:

CANADIANS PULL OFF REVOLT ON THE ICE:AMERICANS GET SILVER

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir capture Canada's first Gold medal:thumbsup: in the ice dancing with a tender, sensual performance. It's not often the Russians get knocked off their traditional spot atop the ice dance podium. But, Virtue and Moir won Monday night, a first for the Canadians-heck for anybody in North America. For only the thrid time since Ice Dancing became an Olympic sport in 1976, the gold went to someone other than a Russian couple. "I'll probably wear it in the shower", Moir said, "I'm not taking it off all week" The Russians, who likely will go home without a figure skating gold medal for the first time since 1960, couldn't win the Silver either. That went to two time U.S. champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White,[they were fantastic] giving the United States back-to-back- dance medals for the first time. Davis and White's Silver was the 25th medal won by the U.S., matching it's record set in 2006 for medals won at a Winter Olympics away from home. Virtue's jaw dropped when she saw their overall score of 221.57 Moir jumped to his feet, screaming almost as loudly as the crowd that was shattering the decibel meter. Reigning world champions Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin of Russia came in third~

Source PE.com Riverside, CA.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I think it's great that the Canadians won Ice Dancing. And the American team that was not heavily favored won silver.... I think it's great!

3. MelinaStellaFan

MelinaStellaFan Hit and Run

what tonight plans for winter olympics cause I am missing it:(

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Canada has won another Gold Medal :)

Ashleigh McIvor has won Gold in Woman's Ski Cross. This is Canada's 6th Gold Medal. We have 4 Silver and 1 Bronze.

In Curling news Canada's Kevin Martin has finished the round robin portion a perfect 9-0. If I'm not mistaken this is the first time a team has finished with a perfect record since curling became an Olympic sport.

Go Canada Go

5. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

The gold medal for Ashley McIvor is the only Olympic medal by a Canadian I've missed :( All the others I saw when it happened.

Either way, I'm watching the Canada-Germany Men's Hockey game right now. We're winning 4-1 right now. And Luongo is in net!!! I'm happy about that. Personally, I think he's better than Brodeur, or at least right now.

6. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay this is how bored I was, I watched the olympics, okay I was also tired from some long days (long story and it involves the flu, but not for me) anyway I saw this segment on Kevin Pearce (that link is to the google search news on him) but Tom Brokaw talked about him last night.

After that like usual I fell a sleep. :lol:

7. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

8. Rocky11

Rocky11 CSI Level One

[​IMG] Sorry everyone,I have no words what happends with speed skating and Sven Kramer [​IMG]

9. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

In our newspaper today~

Vancouver, British Columbia-Like a true Bond Girl, Kim-Yu-na knocked off her rivals. Nobody did it better. The biggest favorite to win the Olympic women's figure skating title since Katarina Witt in 1988, South Korea's Kim was cool under presssure with a playfully sexy and sophistacated number that delighted fans and judges alike Tuesday night. Her score of 78.5 points not only shattered her own record, but it also put her almost five points ahead of longtime rival--and chief threat--Japan's Mao Asada. With two triple axels planned, Asada can make up the difference in Thursday night's free skate. But it sets up the best showdown in figure skating since the "Battle of Brians" the epic 1988 duel between Canadian Brian Orser and American Brian Boitano--so appropriate considering Orser is Kims coach. Not surprising either, considering the 19-year-olds have been trading titles since their junior days. Kim and Asada have combined to win the past two world championships and five Grand Prix final titles. "It was perfect that she skated right after Mao" Orser said, because she's a competitor. "She's very fierce. Canada's Joannie Rochette was skating two days after the sudden death of her mother, and gave the most moving performance ot the night and came in third~

MEDAL COUNT

United States.. Gold..7..Silver..9..Bronze..10.. TOTAL..26
    Germany..Gold..7.. Silver..9..Bronze..7..TOTAL..23
    Norway.. Gold..6..Silver..5..Bronze..6..TOTAL..17
    Russia.. Gold..3..Silver..4..Bronze..6..TOTAL..13
    Canada..Gold.6..Silver..4..Bronze..1..TOTAL..11
    South Korea..Gold..5..Silver..4..Bronze..1..TOTAL..10
    Austria..Gold..4..Silver..3..Bronze..3..TOTAL..10
    France..Gold..2..Slver..3..Bronze..5..TOTAL..10
    Switzerland..Gold..6..Silver..0..Bronze..2..TOTAL..8
    Sweden..Gold..3..Silver..2..Bronze....TOTAL..7
    Netherlands..Gold..3..Silver..1..Bronze..2..TOTAL..6

Source. PE.com
    Riverside, CA.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. MelinaStellaFan

MelinaStellaFan Hit and Run

Nice medal count status thanks and now it hockey later tonight is skiing.... :):) I will watch skiing tonight.

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Here in medal count golds have more value ;) if you have one gold, you are ahead of countries who can have as many silver or bronze as they want but...

Anyways.

Oh our men skied so well! After how crappy we've been, 5th place was great! And only 8sec from bronze! If Matti only skied little better...

Men's hockey so far.. Switzerland/USA - it's a tough game :eek: And funny to see how canadians always cheer for 'the other country' when USA is playing... I guess it's like a Finn would never cheer for Sweden :lol:

Women's alpine skiing... felt bad for Mancuso for that stupid mistake that was made... and our Tanja didn't do so well than I expected :sad:

Meh this is hard night.. I don't have any lectures tomorrow (but floorball game in the evening) and would love to see 2nd run of alpineskiing, end of Switzerland/USA and Kanada-Russia starts at 2:30am andthen Finland's game at 5am... (and Sweden's at 7am)

12. Axelsonfire

Axelsonfire Pathologist

Hehehehehehehee Today was a good day for Canada.

Clara Hughes won Bronze in Women's 5000m. It's her last race so I'm very happy that she won.

Canada beat Russia in hockey 7-3 :D That was great :)

And now, Canada just won Gold and Silver in Women's bobsleigh. Not sure how they're going to show that on the rings. They change the Olympic rings in the harbor from whichever colour they are to the colour of the medal, but I'm not sure how they show two!

Plus, I just learned we won silver in the women's 3000m short track speed skating relay :D

A great day for Canada. Great, great day.

13. Ducky

GOAL \o/ can't believe we actually beat Czech Rep!

Thank god next one is USA (sad that Swiss got bit tired on 3rd perioid)

Oh Hagman is on fire and I hope next time Miettinen won't miss that much :p
    And our grandpaline (even our commentator uses that name) was playing better today!
    Ages for that line: S. Koivu 36, J. Lehtinen 37, Selänne 40, Timonen 35 and Salo 36 :lol: :lol:

IF (big if there) we get to the final and there is either Sweden or Canada against us..we're screwed. (of course I can always hope that Slovakia beats both Sweden and Canada :p But I think now Canada is on fire and hard to stop)
    We have serious problem against Sweden always and Canada is just..Canada and our playing never does well against them.

But my respect for Canada has a bit raised from the old days - they used to play so dirty that it just made everyone mad. Now they play with their skill. And now we have bigger players, poor Finns were tackled so badly by Canada :p (something called Chris Progner in defence :lol: )

I didn't watch Canada-Russia, but feels like Russia has been Russia again.. and I saw some goals and goalie didn't seem to have his best game.

EDIT: OMG! Slovakia beat Sweden! YAYAY! We shouldn't underestimate them when we meet 'em in final ;)

Heh, funny to watch Facebookstatuses - people are as excited about Sweden's lost as Finland's win :lol: :lol:

14. Ducky

Erm..sorry for double.

TWO BRONZES! \o/ Women's cross country skiing relay - silver was lost in 1st leg, but I don't think we could have beaten Norway.. perhaps if Roponen (3rd leg) had chance to start with Steira. (and Sweden was 5th)

And women's hockey! the best ever.. first, to beat SWEDEN and the best thing that winning goal went to the net from Swedish player's stick \o/

Swedish papers have been bit upset of Finns taking all the fun out of their men's lost but so do they when Finland loses (After Torino 2006 they e.g. showed how Finns could make their own gold medals)

Hee, when Finland lost to Sweden, Swedish press though we lost on purpose... well guess has there been headlines "Did Sweden lose on purpose?" today... and there is even facebook group almost with 10,000 fans "Did Sweden lose on purpose!?" :lol: :lol:

15. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

^^^ Sounds like you have a good rivalry over there. Seems like the Canada/US rivalry here. Fortunately, when the whining begins, it's not usually by the Canadians. :lol:

Watched the women's game with the Finns- crazy game! Very exciting! Last I saw they were heading to OT! Awesome!

Oh! Edited to add the Finnish Women's team got Bronze! Way to go! :D