Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Now what would make you say that? :confused: *looks at avatar and signature* :lol: Okay well true enough, and my undying love of the show flashpoint, and liking the other show Durham County (okay yeah they both contain him lol) but also because I have many Canadian friends online and in real life. Not to mention (though I have never been to canada not sure who of my relatives were) part of my heritage is Irish Canadian and Indian (err Native american lol). While I am a basic mutt when it comes to heritage lol. So does that count too, along with your observation? :p:lol:;)

2. Bonasera-Taylor

Bonasera-Taylor Prime Suspect

Just waiting for the snowboarding to start now

3. Rocky11

Rocky11 CSI Level One

[​IMG] And we have another gold medal with snowboarden [​IMG]

4. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

It was another good day for Canada yesterday.

The Men's Hockey team beat Slovakia and will now face the Americans for the Gold Medal on Sunday.

In Women's curling Canada won silver. Sweden beat us 7-6

And in speed skating Canada the Men's short team got 2 Gold and a Bronze.

Canada's Medal count is 10 Gold, 7 Silver and 4 Bronze.

Go Canada Go

5. Destiny

LMAO why does this happen to us? I mean Men's Hockey now, the Jays/Indians in the summer, geez. :lol:

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Really not happy with the short track results. If Apolo was DQ'd the Canadian dude should've been too. They were both the same scenario. And I wish Apolo hadn't made his comment about the Canadian judge. I agree with him, but he should've kept quiet about it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Ah, people say stuff in the heat of the moment, and he must've been pretty disappointed. Especially since he says he's retiring now.

I am glad the brothers did well though, ;) Sorry, I'm obviously a little biased, being Canadian... :lol:

8. Jacquie

Joannie Rochette of Canada and Petra Majdic of Slovenia have won the Terry Fox Award that has been created for the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. Rochette won for her courageous skate in light of her Mother's death. Majdic won for her courageous effort in winning a Bronze Medal in cross-country skiing after suffering 4 fractured ribs and a collapsed lung in a training crash.

Rochette, Majdic share Terry Fox Award

Go Canada Go

9. Destiny

I believe they said on Fox news that the team from Chile will not be staying for the last of the ceremonies (as they are all done in competitions), they are preparing (or on their way already) to head back to their home country because of the quake.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I hadn't heard about that story. Holy crap! Good for her.

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Man, a lot of pain and tragedy around these games, in various forms. Death, injuries, world catastrophes... And these folks were real competitors throughout the whole thing. Hats off to the dedicated athletes!

The mood here is pretty high since we won a couple golds today (and look to be on our way to a third, hopefully). I know everyone here has their eye on that big hockey gold tomorrow, but I gotta say that win or lose that particular game, I could not be happier with the efforts all the Canadian athletes have shown. I'm also proud of how all of them have been constantly saying that they didn't do it for themselves, they did it all for Canada. Yeah, I know it's a little cliche and you expect them to say stuff like that, but either way it really means a lot to me. I've shed more than a few happy tears over the past couple weeks. :)

12. Jacquie

It's getting difficult trying to keep up with all the goings on today.

Canada has tied an Olympic Record by winning 13 Gold Medal :) We could break the record on Sunday :) Norway and the Soviet Union also have 13 Gold Medals from 2002 and 1976 respectively.

Today's Gold Medals came in Men's Long Track speed skating, Men's Parallel Giant Slalom and finally in Men's Curling.

Our Medal count so far: 13 Gold, 7 Silver and 5 Bronze

Go Canada Go

13. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

I love that there is still Drama in the Olympics this year Injuries, loss of loved ones and the athletes still compete etc... all in all these Olympics have been the best and again I maybe an American BUT Congraqts to all the Canadians and all their wins on home turf

14. MelinaStellaFan

MelinaStellaFan Hit and Run

today is the last of it one thing going on the hockey usa against canada or something then the closing thing

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Oh it was horrible. Seriously horrible.

Now almost screwed up bronzegame as well (I turned TV off when Slovakia was leadin 3-1 and didn't believe when my bf woke me up and said Finland won 5-3) :lol: And man our President was on fire :lol: :lol: high fives with Jari Kurri when Finland scored :lol: :lol:

Felt bad for Slovakia tho.

As for Finland. Canada will win it. IMHO, they do have better team (even Miller is on fire) and them playing on their own soil...

Ok, sorry I am sceptic and Majdic's fall looked really awful but something doesn't fit here.. You don't have collapsed lung and race 4 hard races and do so well. But I don't think she fell on purpose. (erm, for the record - some Finns broke their equipment in 2001 WC when they didn't want to get caught with doping)

Sometimes (or quite often) sports(wo)men tend to... well in Athletics when Pitkämäki's throw (javelin) hit Sdiri (frenchman) thru his side and there was big talk how his career is over and life-threating situation and.. wow. Who was on track next summer?