Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Oct 22, 2009.

1. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

3. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

That was a nice article, thanks for posting it. It was a great hockey game and that coming from someone who doesn't watch sports. :lol:

I was glad to learn, though, that even though he didn't block the puck for the winning goal, Ryan Miller was named MVP for the hockey event at the Olympics. Way to go Ryan!!!!!

4. BabaOReilly

Even as proud as I am of my Canadian team, I cannot deny that Ryan Miller was the biggest force to be reckoned with, without a doubt. He was so good I wanted to hurt him! :lol:

Seriously though, I think he just sold a kajillion more seats for his NHL team. He's just that fantastic. :)

5. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

I loved the Olympics this Winter and glad the Canadiens were able to win at home. The Americans beat the record for medals with 37 which was also cool!!

6. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Hey I got a little enthusiastic, but for days before I heard comments from Americans about 'frying bacon' and one player on that team said,"Canadians are wimps" and so forth so..I was just giving back. I apologizie to all, with the exception of one person, for my own enthursiasm. But also hearing people say that Miller let the team win wasn't acceptable. I doubt a goalie who made it to the Olympics was just going t let anyone win. It was a good goal and as talented as Miller is, Crosby is as well. Two talented players, one hockey puck.

Hey the coach of the USA Hockey Team was even taking pot shots at Team Canada.

And that's my opinion.;) But I'm not about to call someone out on the web like another person did, that's equal poor sportsmanship. That person doesn't know me and doesn't know what I do outside TalkFiles. They don't know that I do a lot for my community and people around me.

That was a nice article, thanks for posting it. We Canadians are a wonderful and generous lot, but we do play a mean game of hockey. I certainly like to have Miller on the Leafs as they need it.

And even though the US and Germany won more medals, Canada won more Gold. We've never won that many. We've been looked at as the under dogs of the Olympics. And throughout the games, countries, including the USA were bashing us and so forth. It was nice to Own the Podium, even if we didn't get the most medals.

And you know as much as Team USA wanted that Gold, Silver is nothing to sneeze at. There were alot of other teams like Slovakia for example, who would have loved to had Silver. They were one fiesty hockey team. They played very hard. As did Finland, Sweden, Norway.

Have a nice day.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  7. allmaple

allmaple Judge

my mom told me something interesting last time i talked to her, she went so a talk and the speaker used the olympics as an example of different perspectives in different countries. back in north america they list the medal winners by totals, but in other countries (i forget which, sorry!) they listed by golds won so canada topped their lists :)

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

At least FInland these are always listed by goldmedals - of course it doesn't make other medals any less..

I mean, in Finland had 1 gold, and Canada 20 silvers and no gold, Finland would be ahead of 'em :p

I think it's something new that people of the country, where olympics are held do so well. Usually they are under so much pressure that they may fail but canadians did well. But then again I am annoyed over this... [by any nation] ..well like Men's Ski Cross they were almost sure Canada can take all medals.

9. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

You bet! We beat the odds.

And while I'm sorry some people took offense to my patriotism, I'm not sorry for feeling it.

But there were other countries who won no medals but did better than anyone expected. No one expected Slovakia to do as well as it did in hockey, but they beat the odds and they'll do better next time around. They have a lot to be proud of.

And there were athletes from countries where they get little or no snow, that was awesome.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/02/26/winter.olympics.snow.leopard.africa/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

What you said to a mod hasn't anything to do with patriotism.
    It has to do with this board, Misc and your icansaywhatiwant attitude towards mods or other posters.

You could have said "sorry if I offended" and explained but no, you have to go to post this little remark towards another poster (I mean, if it was said by not-a-mod poster, it would have been the same)

I think you've been warned quite many times and looks like attitude hasn't changed, and when (it's when with this attitude) the day comes that BAN knocks your usernamedoor, don't be surprised.

We are patient mods, but even it will end in some point...

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Play him off..

As it will for me..

12. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Administrator Administrator

This is not the official viewpoint on the matter. I saw some teasing, but nothing over the line (as a fellow sports fan, part of the fun is teasing and part of being a fan is taking a bit of teasing.)

Myfuturecsi, I have no issues with your present behavior.

I'm sorry for what went on in this thread on our side. It is not how I prefer this place to be run and hopefully it won't happen again.

(Sid still sucks for scoring the winning goal, says this Pittsburgh native.)

13. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

But you guys are very lucky to have him! But if Pittsburgh is that mad at him, just send back to Canada and he can join the poor Toronto Maple Leafs..we need him.

Miller can come too!

On another matter, this was in the Toronto Star today about Bronze Medalist Joannie Rochette. What a remarkable, brave woman to have skated her program just days after her mother's death.

Joannie Rochette

14. BabaOReilly

It was sort of like when Ryan Kessler scored the last goal on Team Canada in the first Can/US game... in Vancouver. :lol:

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yeah that was painful.:(:(:(

:guffaw: