The "I Need Fanfic Help" Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by MacsGirlMel, Dec 28, 2006.

1. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

^^ cannon characters you mean? You have to be really careful about making things up, sometimes people push the extreems a bit.

Some things are okay, but when people make up the characters place of birth for example, it leads to problems (by problems, I mean me shouting ;) )

On the CBS website though, one tends to find character bios. Just click 'choose a show' at the top of the page and go to the show you want. :)

2. Natasha Romanoff

Natasha Romanoff Police Officer

I really meant making up stuff like family and stuff, whether they have brothers or sisters, stuff like that, middle names. I do know a little about say Mac, I know he's from Chicago, so I'm staying true to that, and that Flack is from Yonkers and Danny from Staten Island; is he from Staten Island. Anyone know where Stella and Hawkes are from.

But thanks for letting me know though.

3. CalleighD

CalleighD Lab Technician

I don't claim to be an expert as I am arelative newcomer to the world of fanfic, but I think it's okay to make up stuff about a characters family if you haven't already been told about them specifically in the show. If siblings have been mentioned, but not named or anything, then I think it's okay to give them names and backstories. The less background information is established about a character the more creative you can be with their history (in my opinion :))

>sorry I can't answer your NY question- I haven't a clue :confused:

LeAnne xx

4. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I think it's quite difficult to stay true to canon for all of these things. For example, I believe that Danny is from Staten Island as of this season, but this wasn't previously the case, Flack was originally said (in his bio) to be from Yonkers, but this season he has referenced being brought up in Queens, and Adam was originally from Arizona but is now said to be from Seattle... So, basically these things can change quite a lot. :lol: People can get a bit funny if fan fic is too far removed from reality, but you can only try your best with these things. I've read many fics with original characters for siblings etc, and as long as they are written reasonably sensibly they seem to work.

Hmm, I really not sure where Hawkes is from, but I always imagined he wasn't that far from home, so possibly East Coast somewhere. Stella was brought up in an orphanage, or in a foster home, both of which were in New York. So it's safe to say that she is pretty local.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

I'm writing a story with the CSI:NY characters and since I've only watched a few episodes, I need a little help...specifically, I've got the following questions about relationships...

1. Danny & Lindsay are dating...do any of their colleagues know? Or are they keeping it 'hush hush'?
    2. I know Stella was dating a guy that turned out to be the one after Mac in the 333 thing...is she seeing anyone else right now?
    3. Is either Flack, Sheldon, or Adam seeing anyone?
    4. I know Peyton broke it off with Mac recently, and that his wife was killed...but is HE dating anyone right now? Any flirtiness going on between him and Stella?

Any help you guys could provide would be great.

6. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

1. It's open to debate. But it hasn't been openly discussed that they are dating or that their colleagues know.
    2. No, Stella's not seeing anyone as far as we know. I think it would be a little soon to write her with anyone, if you are writing it from a current perspective, I personally think it would be out of character considering her relationship history.
    3. Flack has flirted a little with Det Angell, and Adam with the lab tech Kendall, but nothing openly said on either. Sheldon's love life hasn't been mentioned.
    4. No, again it's not been mentioned so probably not, and I would say no they definitely haven't been flirting.

I hope that was of some use to you. :)

7. Jennifer

Jennifer Lab Technician

Thank you, that was a HUGE help, especially the extra note about Stella and not writing her with someone as it would OOC.

Another question...

- In CSI LV...Warrick was fighting with his wife...are they still fighting or have they taken steps toward a separation or divorce?
    - Same show...the weird lab guy with the dark hair(what is his name?), does he have a girlfriend?
    - Finally, for CSI:M Alexx has 2 kids...Janie is one. Anyone know the name of the other child? And are they both about elementary school age?

FYI...the fic I'm writing is about relationships, all different in some way. And since I need to use characters from the other shows, I need help to make it as canon as possible.

8. Zelda49

Zelda49 Rookie

^^ I can't answer all your questions, but here's what I know:

--> Warrick and his wife Tina are in the process of getting divorced as of "Cochroaches"

--> Alexx's second child is younger than Janie, and a boy, but I don't know his name. He was definately elementary school aged, though, the last time we saw him. Janie could be in middle school by now.

I hope that helps!

9. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Ok I need some help from any american :D (Which shouldn't be hard lol)

OK for my fic i'm writing about the life of a child and I need to know the ages when children start pre-school, high school etc and how 1st, 2nd etc works :)

10. csi_miami_babe

csi_miami_babe Rookie

I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this in this thread but does anyone post on fanfiction.net? If yes then what do they mean by Doc Label when you're trying to post a story? :confused:

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^^ It simple meams the name of the file you are uploading eg Chapter 1. So when you go to add a new story you can identify the document you need ;) If you need any more help PM me :)

12. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

Re: The "I Need Fanfic Help" Thread

Google is your friend :)

I typed 'Education in the United States' and the wonderful wikipedia did the rest. I've glanced through it, no glaring errors.

Hope I've helped.

J

13. marymagdalen

marymagdalen Lab Technician

I know it's a while since you posted this question, but I think I just found the answer! In Season 1 Episode 6, BROKEN, Alexx appears at the end with both her kids, and I noticed in the end credits "Brian Woods" - so I suppose that's the boy's name. I hope half an answer helps! I don't know how old he is, but I guess younger than Janie.

Leni

14. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Maybe this isn't the place for this (mods please tell me where I can post this if not here)
    But.... I'm not happy at the moment.
    First, I had to copy/cut/paste my WORD doc onto notepad just to get it to post.
    THEN, notepad won't let you edit it, so I had to edit when I posted here... not biggie EXCEPT.... apperently my doc was TOO LONG so it took longer than I expected to edit it and the server kicked me off.

When I logged back in (can you tell how frustrated I'm getting???) :scream:
    And re-edited my doc, the board said it was TOO LARGE and I have to edit it down to 20,000 words.
    Okay that would have been good to know before I uploaded a HUGE chapter. :brickwall:

Sorry, I guess I'm just frustrated at the moment.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Well, the server hasn't kicked me off, but I have had problems copying and pasting from Word. It puts weird coding on the post. I haven't done it with a story yet, just a post where I've replied to many comments from different pages of a thread. What kind of internet provider are you using? AOL? DSL? I'm on DSL. If you're on AOL, that could be the problem. I had trouble doing stuff like that when I had AOL (not at this forum, but at others).

Also, if you are on AOL, you could try putting your story in an email window and editing it there and then copying and pasting into the forum thread window. That's what I did back when I had AOL. I suppose if you don't have AOL you could still try the email window thing if you use yahoo, hotmail, excite, or whatever. I haven't tried that yet with the problem I'm having with the weird coding.

----

About Alexx's kids' : In a recent episode, her son Brian was a teenager, so I'd imagine that the girl is too. I'd say Brian was maybe 15-16, so Janie is probably 17. The show might have aged them more than what they would normally be. I know a few seasons back when it showed Alexx reading to them, they were probably no older than eight.

-----

Can anyone tell me if CSI LV has mentioned how many siblings Nick has? I know he mentioned having brothers. I wonder if he has a sister too. I'm thinking of giving him a sister in a fic. I know Greg mentioned being an only child, but didn't he also say that he was adopted (when he was in the hospital after being beat up)? I think he did, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know any of the CSI's middle names (from any of the three shows)? Does Calleigh have siblings or do we know? Does anyone know why Nick's father calls him "Pancho"?

Last edited: May 19, 2008