The "I Need Fanfic Help" Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by MacsGirlMel, Dec 28, 2006.

1. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

i guess it's
    too late to give you explanations :D

2. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Okay, I'm back with more RP confusion- what are RP aurditions and all this? Is a RP where you, the author, takes on the role of a character? I must sound so stupid and clueless...thanks for the help, again. :D

3. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

the RPs are where various board members play characters; it's more like a game than a fic. Except without winners and losers and stuff like that. The audtions are to make sure the players know what they're doing when they ask to play a character.

One quick fic question: Are crossovers allowed or no? I forgot.

4. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Yup they are :D

I usually receive the auditions for the main characters, cainesugar, and then i choose them. Later the main players will choose by themselves the other game players :)

5. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Thanks, I'll just stick with my current fic. Thanks for all the help. :D

6. Mariiah

Mariiah Dead on Arrival

I've been trying to write my very first fanfiction (CSI:LV) but I realized there's too many things I'm not sure about...
    For example, what is the age difference between Sara and Catherine? Has it ever been mentioned? How about the other characters?
    And how do the shifts really work? I mean, it's a night shift, right? But sometimes the work at night and sometimes in the daylight... I'm confused...

Thanks if someone is ready to spend few moments and write me an answer.

7. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

^ I'm sorry, I don't watch LV, I wouldn't know.
    I have yet another question. Can a fic be told in first-person, and if so, can it be from another persons' (as in, not a CSIs) perspective? Thanks in advance!

8. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Mariiah: I don't think the age gap has ever been mentioned, but I don't think Sara and Cat are that far apart in ages, I've always imagined it like this:
    Oldest-Gil
    Cat
    Warrick
    Nick
    Sara
    Youngest-Greg

Also, Im extremly confused about shifts! I think they're all on night shift, but if they have a case, and it goes into the day, they work it still. Hope I helped in some way!

Cainesuger: I think it can, as long as it ties in with CSI.

9. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Thanks CSIVegasMiamiNY

10. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Well there is a Day Shift, Graveyard Shift, and Swing Shift. I believe it's divided into three shifts every eight hours.

So the Day Shift would be in the morning so around 8am to 10pm. Swing Shift is usually around 4pm to midnight or 3pm to 10pm. The Graveyard Shift covers early mornings such as 11pm to 7am or midnight to 8am. All of them sometimes overlap so there is always someone on shift during shift changes. Hopefully that helps somewhat with that aspect of your question, Mariiah. :)

As for the character's ages, I looked up Sara Sidle on Google and it states she was born in 1971 and Catherine Willows was born in 1963. So if you were going to go roughly by this as a general timeline, Catherine would be around 44 and Sara would be around 36. :) Again, these can't be confirmed as the 'correct' information as CBS.com doesn't have their age stats but as a general idea I hope that helps!

11. Mariiah

Mariiah Dead on Arrival

Thank you. :)

12. CSIVegasMiamiNY

CSIVegasMiamiNY Pathologist

Wow, thats a lot of information there! We know who the goldmine is! :p hehe, j/k :lol:

-Jems

13. CSIElizabeth

CSIElizabeth Witness

I have sort of a legal question having to do with a case. In this new story I'm working on, a character is found after being missing for five years and had amnesia. He apparently was taken by a man who was replacing him for his dead partner. The rest of the CSIs find out that he's been questioned in cases of six different murdered men who all have some resemblance to the CSI that went missing. If they investigate and find too many coincidences in the case, would that be enough for them to get a warrant from the police to question the man? So far they know the man has used alias' and about his history of dating men who all disappeared.

14. Gabinka

Gabinka Victim

I have gotten an opportunity to teach a class about fanfiction! It's through the community education program called Communiversity from the University of Missouri-Kansas City. If you're in the area, and looking for some tips and advice, you might want to sign up.

Some of you here may not know my credentials as I haven't written much CSI. Two short pieces: one after Grave Danger and one after Fannysmackin'. But I've been quite successful as a fanfic author in the Deep Space Nine fandom, as well as Lord of the Rings. I've also written in The Young Riders, and Angel/Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

If you're in the area (Kansas City) and interested, you can see the Summer catalog on the Communiversity's site: http://www.umkc.edu/commu

The class will begin on June 11 and run for 8 sessions, Mondays at 7pm. Class fee is $20.

I love writing and am really looking forward to this.

15. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I've got a question about Las Vegas. Just want to know if it ever gets really cold there, like with snow and icy roads and all? I don't know anything about LV and didn't find much on the net. Thx in advance!