The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Great Ship Debate

I want to just say first, Great Tyrant that I completely back you on just not "getting" chemistry with certain pairings.

For instance: I know a LOT of people who watch Law and Order SVU think that Mariska Hargitay's character and the other main character will get together. I don't see it. For me, they lack any kind of spark.

I'll also admit that Grissom and Sara don't have the kind of sexual chemistry that Grissom and Catherine or Grissom and Lady Heather (Lady Heather to a much deeper and greater degree) have or had.

But I think this is where the definition of chemistry becomes vague: even people who hated GSR knew there was tension in certain scenes. Maybe they didn't call it romantic, but it WAS tension. I think that no matter how you feel about the pairing itself, most people will agree that these two actors do do an interesting back-and-forth.

Some see it as Sara following Grissom, others see it as Grissom rejecting Sara, and so on, but it's still tense and it's still thick, and it's still there.

I don't think chemistry has to be specifically an "I missed your tush" "You can say stop" moment. Those are the most in-your-face and sexually obvious, but I don't believe that, in the long-run, that's all you should or even can have.

Now that's not a slam to the other two ships, because they have had other moments that weren't just, "I want your body".

But with Catherine and Grissom... I'll be honest: I thought the two actors had fantastic chemistry, I thought the dynamic was fun and flirtatious, but they never set off an alarm bell for me. I was never considering that TPTB or the characters would ever want to take things further than that.

So here's where my second argument comes in: Yes, it's a story by TPTB. Everything you see on CSI is a story by TPTB. So while I get not seeing chemistry, I think to dismiss a storyline entirely, saying it's somehow "not real" or "doesn't make sense" is a little bit... I don't know - it doesn't fly with me. If it's part of the show, then it is canon and it is fact.

Just like it's fact that Grissom wanted to be with Lady Heather at the end of Lady Heather's Box. I'm a GSR shipper, I don't support Kessom, but I will freely admit that that was something intentionally put in by the writers. I don't like it, nor do I think that that relationship would've been good for either of them, but it was part of the story that TPTB told about them, and so I accepted it.

So... while it may not be interesting, while it may not be fun, while it may totally go against what you were expecting, I've always been a big advocate of "If it's there, it's the truth".

sarahvma said:
I want to just say first, Great Tyrant that I completely back you on just not "getting" chemistry with certain pairings.

<snipped for brevity's sake>

I've always been a big advocate of "If it's there, it's the truth".

I completely understand your position...And I respect your right to enjoy GSR...

However...*I* do not feel compelled to accept nor enjoy that particular storyline simply because the writers wrote it...It doesn't make sense to me...I thereby reject it, just as I would a dish in a restaurant that tasted "off" to my tastebuds...If the rest of the diners enjoy it, great!...I'll order up a new dish more to my liking, thanx...

I adore TV and movies...It takes a certain amount of "suspending belief" to enjoy fiction of any sort...One must be able to, at the writer's behest, fall backwards into the storyline with the trust that if you suspend your belief system, the writer will bring you safely to the storyline's satisfactory conclusion...Not all writers have the skill to do that...Likewise, not all readers will feel equally satisfied no matter the writer's skill...

Interestingly enough, I do read vorcaiously and that includes CSI fanfic...Some is GSR, some is not...And I am able to enjoy certain writers' work because they craft a storyline that *MY* belief system can accept and enjoy...Some are quite delicious...

TPTB on the actual TV show have not written GSR in a way that convinces *me* that it is a viable storyline...I accept that fact...I enjoy the show despite GSR...And will continue to do so...I simply ignore it, as I have always done...I am not conceited enough to believe that my one opinion will change the product that TPTB are peddling...<shrugs>...S'OK...I can live with that...

And those who do accept and enjoy GSR?...I wish them well...Doesn't affect my opinion nor my enjoyment of the rest of CSI in the least...I would think my deliberate rejection of GSR wouldn't affect the acceptance/enjoyment of those viewers who do support it, either...Why would it?...

GT;)

I'm just going to jump in here- sorry for interrupting! My 2 cents:

Cath and Warrick- Love their chemistry, characters and therefore love this ship.

Cath and Grissom- (yes I'm a multi-shipper :rolleyes:) They just IMO seem to know each other so well. She is always honest with him and he covers for her :D. I suppose I like their friendship more than anything but they do have some good moments.

GSR- Can't say I'm a fan. I tried to be because GSR was the first ever "ship" I heard of :lol: but I just don't think there is that much chemistry. I don't mind the age gap. I can see what GSRers see in certain moments but I just prefer other ships and can't say I pay too much attention to GSR.

I think it's interesting how one show can start so many ships and so much debate. From reading most of these posts, I can see that every shipper sees their ships differently. I guess it is all in the eyes of the beholder. It is interesting to see the different opinions of shippers and I think it is great that these opinions can be freely expressed.

Personally, I'm partial to Grissom/Catherine. They just have so much chemistry and their flirting and comments always hint at something more. They are equals and they view each other as equals. There was always the mystery of suspecting something more (and of course this is the same for every ship). It was this mystery that kept me glued to the tv.

Maybe this is why I can't get into season 7. It's not that I'm anti-GSR, it's just that with a cannon ship, every shipper is deprived of speculating what goes on beneath the surface of their ship. The mystery is gone and now CSI has turned into a predictable run-of-the-mill show. I don't know about everyone else, but I prefer the good old days when my ship would say something to make me wonder: is there something more? Am I the only one who is bored with the predictability of the ships nowadays?

Maybe I'm just rambling, so in short, my theory is that the show was ultimately better when every ship seemed to have an equal chance. I know I had fun woking out hints hinting at Catherine and Gil in a relationship. I'm sure N/S shippers had a blast when they imagined their ship together. Even GSR shippers probably had more fun working out the clues CSI handed to everybody to justify and theorize about their ship. It is my belief that a cannon ship can stifle any shipper's imagination. It's easy to conform to the views represented by the show and collectively support the same ship. One ship, one right idea. That's the feeling I get from TPTB lately. Call me crazy, but that sounds like communism.

I long for the no-ship days because there is so much diversity among shippers. Even if I don't always agree with what someone may say, I'll support their right to say it. Diversity is a good thing. Just look at all this discussion and different views on ships. No one is right and no one is wrong.

Hit and Run,
I agree you've hit (pun intended) on a great point...With no "canon" ship, there was so much more fun in innuendo...I have always thought Griss & Cath might've had a lil sumthin'sumthin' way back when, but decided they preferred being friends...But that's me...

i've also heard GSRs complain that this season things are kinda anti-climactic...Nothing much to "hope" for now...

So, yeah...ITA...

GT;)

lately i noticed something, and i think this is the best thread to write it in. as we got couple of new threads like "what's your OTP" or "CSI ratings" etc i can see a little tendency of ships to group together like soccer fans in Europe.

fans of different soccer clubs in various European leagues make friends with some other clubs, and together they kinda don't like other teams very much. to be clear, i'm not talking about the pathological, crazy skinheads who kill each other everytime there is a game, but about normal people.

so from what i observed GCR and Snickers usually like each other very much. on the other hand GSR, YoBling, CatNip, GLH and Sandles are the closest to each other.

also due to GSR being canon, the Grillow/Snickers frendship seems to raise.

i don't know, maybe it's just an impression that i'm getting. ;)

Interesting theory Adzix I never looked at that way
I think the mods are tyring to get us all to understand why some folks like one ship, some folks LOVE anther so there won't be any of the ...[my ship is better than yours] or the [how you can say that THOSE TWO should be together?] sort of thing. That's my opinion
I love Grissom and Lady Heather
I love Catherine and Grissom's relationship
and I also at one point liked watching Grissom and Sara

Yes these characters are fictitious [sp] but we obviously are very passionate about them otherwise we wouldn't all be here posting on TALKCSI :D

I personally like to see less on screen romance between any characters when it comes to the show, I'm more for subtlness myself ( my brain won't let me spell at the moment sorry) because that is not what CSI is about anyway

Subtleness for sure, they used to keep viewers hooked by constantly keeping them in suspense about couples. Certain ones would have a flirty or angsty episode and it alwasy kept everyone wondering. I like that. Now that they have Grissom and Sara "together" they've stopped any joking around between them and other characters and it really sucks.
It's true about Snickers and Grillows, you do tend to find them together. An example being myself.

I have something to say in response to the TV Guide letter that was printed last week.

First off, I'm not trying to "silence" anyone. I'm not your mother, and I'm not trying to be.

But I do want to say I think it was a huge step backwards for the fandom in general.

Not only did it come (ironically) after two episodes Sara was barely in, but it also seemed to be suggesting something that... I just don't think is true.

Forget the ratings - no one can prove one way or the other whether people left for Grey's Anatomy, whether they stopped watching, whether they're watching on the 'net or whatever else.

What I do mind is people saying that it's taking over the show, and being shoved down their throats.

This isn't Grey's Anatomy. We don't sit through half an hour of serious discussions between couples. If someone were to count up the minutes that Sara and Grissom have spent being flirtatious or in any way a "couple" this season, I think it would amount to a great big "Ten".

I understand not liking a ship, I understand disagreeing with the ship, but I suppose I don't understand the point of blaming everything that you don't like about a season on a pairing that haven't so much as touched romantically yet.

with a cannon ship, every shipper is deprived of speculating what goes on beneath the surface of their ship
Being a GSR shipper myself (well, a multi-shipper, but primarily GSR) I agree with this point to a certain extent - but in a way that almost goes against what 27dayz was saying. Seem contradictory? Hear me out:

If anything, I think the GSR shippers have been the most deprived of subtext since our ship became canon. Because, with everyone knowing Grissom and Sara are together, the 'answer' to their comments to each other is obvious. They make flirtatious comments and it's like "Well of course they're flirting. They're a couple". Less is left to our imagination (which, I know, was a point you made, 27dayz). Whereas, say, if Sara makes a seemingly flirtatious comment to Nick or Greg, even now we can still wonder "Did she mean it that way? Did he realise what that could imply?" and so on and so forth.

Just because you're with someone, doesn't mean you automatically stop flirting with all others ever. That doesn't make you a tease or a bad person. Plus why would any of the others stop flirting with Grissom or Sara when their raltionship hasn't been made public yet?

So yeah, I totally think all the other ships - even those including Grissom and Sara that aren't GSR (eg. Snickers, Grillows, Sandles) - still have plenty of opportunity to have knowing winks towards them in the action, dialogue and so on and so forth. Just like in season 6, it was made canon that Cath's fantasy was to be with Warrick. But that doesn't mean things like CatNip are automatically made null and void, y'know?

Despite that, though, like sarahvma is saying, Grissom and Sara haven't even touched romantically yet, and their screen time together hasn't really increased either. Really not all that much is different between them this season from last season, except that now we know they're together. It might seem more obvious, but that's simply because their being together has been made clear.

It's like, Reeble said to me a while ago how funnily I say the word 'Awesome' (we have different accents). I had no idea before then and it didn't seem out of the ordinary. Didn't seem to stand out from any of the other words I said, but now that it's been pointed out to me, I notice it every time, and that can get annoying. In that way, I do get where other shippers who don't support GSR are coming from. Now the ship is canon, probably sticks out to different shippers a lot, and I can understand how that might feel.

I'm really not meaning to seem patronising here, so I'm really sorry if that's how I'm coming across.

Anyway, what I'm saying is, just because Grissom and Sara are together, it doesn't mean all other ships should lose all hope or resent TPTB because they think they(TPTB)'re trying to make them feel that way.

Like the Yo!Blingers said when Tina came around: "He's married, not dead". Now, while I personally don't feel Grissom and Sara's relationship is as unstable as Warrick's marriage, nor again, do I personally think Grissom and Sara will break up - this is the land of film & TV. Rarely, if ever, is anything final here.

And as for the ships outside of Grissom and Sara (CatNip or TheLove for example) - think of it like Friends. Just because Ross and Rachel became canon, didn't mean Monica and Chandler couldn't get together, too.

I'll also admit that Grissom and Sara don't have the kind of sexual chemistry that Grissom and Catherine or Grissom and Lady Heather (Lady Heather to a much deeper and greater degree) have or had.
I dunno, sarah, I would liken the sexual tension in the 'You can always say stop' GLH scene to the 'Pin me down' scene in IE. And the dummykicking scene with Grissom checking out her ass there in Fannysmackin' - it was pretty hot, and made it pretty obvious they wanted each other there and then, even if Grissom had to make the call not to after long, eyebrow-raised, consideration (they were at work, after all). And you can't say the 'mouth-to-mouth' scene in PT wasn't hardcore flirty. Nor can you refute the smouldering tension across the breakroom table at the end of TOYD.

So while I don't think the MAIN thing about GSR is sexuality, as it is with GLH (IMO), or flirting, as with GCR (again, IMO), I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't have those elements in there too.

ETA:
so from what i observed GCR and Snickers usually like each other very much. on the other hand GSR, YoBling, CatNip, GLH and Sandles are the closest to each other.
I think the ships here seem to be a bit Venn Diagram-y with each other. For example, Grillows and GSR are very much separate ships, but they do overlap in the sense that many shippers from both camps are also Yo!Blingers.

But I agree with you that Grillows and Snickers seem to get on brilliantly, as do GSRs and Sandles (interestingly with the latter, since the two ships kinda negate each other).

I think Grillows and GSR do a bit of a venn diagram with the Kessom shippers as well. Though not entirely, because there are probably lots of Kessoms who don't support Grillows or GSR at all (which I suppose could be said of plenty Yo!Blingers, too).

I'm not familiar enough with the other ships to be able to make an informed guess as to where they fall in the whole situation.

OK...Here we are well into Season 7...And after the last few seconds of Season 6...All the Summer celebration and speculation, what?...

They've spent hardly any time onscreen and definitely nothing a casual viewer would remotely be able to attribute to a "relationship"...

Now Griss is on sabattical...And Sara was apparently "not consulted" so she's unhappy...

Am I imagining things or does it appear that TPTB are sinking the "canon ship"?...

Cuz it suuure as heck feels like it...

If it were my "ship", I'd be very disappointed at this point...

But who knows?...I could be wrong...

GT;)

Bumping this up just so other posters know where to post.

I still think GSR has been shoved down viewers' throats this season. They have had more interaction than any other two characters in the show. In fact, the overuse of the pairing has denied Sara the oppurtunity to work with Nick! Seriously, it has been 12 episodes without one significant scene. I don't care who you ship, that is completely ridiculous.

That's just one of many reasons why I detest the pairing, and since I've already named all the others in this thread (at least i think i have), I'll shut up...for now.

Bumpage accomplished.

I agree with you, and it's not even because I'm not a GSR shipper. One of my favourite things about the show is the great chemistry the ensemble has. Each pairing (not even in a romantic sense) has a really interesting dynamic and one that they do not share with any other member of the team. Depriving any duo of on-screen time is a terrible waste. So yeah, GSR is starting to annoy me a little, because I fear it's in danger of overshadowing everything else on the show.

Just a little comment on this:

Adzix said:
theatresporter said:
But I agree with you that Grillows and Snickers seem to get on brilliantly, as do GSRs and Sandles (interestingly with the latter, since the two ships kinda negate each other).
I never knew GSR nand sandles were such buddies! :lol: Awwww, I almost want to call a group hug... but then that's not why I'm here.
You see, I know a few other sandle shippers who might disagree with this (where do you think I came from?), and even though I'm overall okay with GSR, I have to say that the couple can get a little... what's the word... enervating and even querulous (for the SAT aficionados ;)).
So, basically I would have to agree with CSI_Ali and even ollieuan (to an extent)

On a sidenote, I really like all the great debating so far. You've all had wonderful ponts and counterpoints. My slight penchant for Grissom and Sara keeps wavering depending on the posts. (Although I tend to be indecisive on the shippy front. :rolleyes:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back