The Great Ship Debate - CSI:Crime Scene Investigation

Discussion in 'Shipper Central' started by lament, Jul 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lament

lament Captain

Okay, fogi and I have decided to put this one thread up for inter-ship discussion. This thread is for discussing and debating the pros and cons of the various ships from all three shows.

There will be some ground rules. If the rules are followed, we should be all right.

Ground Rules
    1) No personal attacks/flames on individuals or groups (ex: "Those Grillows are jerks" or "All GSR shippers are whiney babies"). You have to respect each other.

2) No homophobic comments when discussing slash.

3) No trolling. (ex: Don't jump on and say "This ship SUCKS!!! :devil:") This is a discussion thread, so present a reasoned argument.

4) The "GSR is incest" argument is out-of-bounds.

5) No polls. We have TONS of poll threads. This thread is for discussion and discussion only.

If you use this thread to flame or otherwise abuse each other, we'll warn the offenders and lock the thread. When in doubt, check the Board Rules.

2. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Re: The Great Ship Debate

[edited]

3. forensicsgirl

forensicsgirl Captain

Sarah, this is a thread for in-depth discussion and it was created in direct response to shippers expressing a desire to see something like this here. So lets use it as a place to discuss, not simply to pimp other sites. Thank you.

4. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

I'm in a chatty mood so sue me :D I never did post in the 'dislike ship' thread. It's nice though that here we can discuss both likes and dislikes.

Nick/Sara
    On the first episode that they were together (Crate n Burial) he told her, 'stop flirting with me', which indicates the non-bro/sis relationship that they have. This along with other instances too many to mention. :D I love the natural chemistry but that's subjective.

I like that Nick gets her and has always been there for her as shown mostly in Season 3. In One Hit Wonder, he was sure to check on her and give her proper advice. He knows exactly how to handle her; for instance carefully telling her about having a 'gun in your face' in Play With Fire. Another good example is Invisible Evidence wherein Sara ranted about cases and Nick handled her well. I like that she's comfortable with him enough to rant out like that in the first place.

I like that Sara gets him and is there for him as shown in Gum Drops. She said what needed to be said and let it go after getting her point across. She handled him perfectly in that episode in my opinion.

I like that Nick trusts her and respects her as shown in Last Laugh when he went to her for help in Brass's case. She also respects him cause she'd 'take him and her over Cath and Greg any time' (After The Show). There you go, mutual respect.

I like that even though they have differing opinions, they still work great together. They respect each other's opinion and use that to broaden their perspective and to solve the case more effectively. (Gum Drops, The Unusual Suspect, Rashomama).

Grissom/Sara
    I'm totally fine with the age thing; actually my mom and dad got the same age difference with the one they have. I'm not going to the chemistry part(or lack thereof) because I understand that it's subjective. I'm not even against the boss/sub part because I admit, it could be hot if done correctly.

I don't like that when Sara asked him out in Play With Fire, he turned her down without any sort of viable explanation except for not knowing what to do about 'this'. They've known each other for a while and I think Sara deserved more than that. She poured her heart out and got nothing. I understand that it was a difficult time with Grissom having to deal with going deaf, which is another indication that Sara doesn't get him fully. Otherwise, she would've noticed the problem like Catherine has.

I don't like their entire exchange regarding the promotion in No More Bets. Once again, Grissom didn't feel the need to explain himself probably because of lack of respect. I have to agree with Sara that it was a 'stupid reason'. Given that Grissom was her boss and he technically don't need to explain himself, still if they had the connection that they supposedly had, he would have explained himself anyways. Which led me to believe that they don't have that connection.

I don't like that in season 5, Grissom apparently didn't make time for the required PEAP meeting, as Sara pointed out in Snakes. It was required, still Grissom didn't make time for it. Goes to show how far Sara is down his list of things to do.

I don't like that Sara supposedly waited three years for him. Alright, three years is debateable according to Way To Go. It was definitely at least two years if we're going to look at Snakes. I used to perceive her as a strong woman, but putting up with all the rejections(see above) goes to show that she's not.

Whoa this turned out to be a long ass post. I'll get to the other ships later. :)

5. diamondgirl

diamondgirl Lab Technician

Grissom/Sara- No chemistry and they don't work
    Grissom/Cath- Meant to be
    Sara/Nick- Hawt!
    Warrick/Cath- No bling
    Warrick/Mia- Hell yeah!

6. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Okay, I'll try to go through all the ships I do like, and those I don't.

Grissom/Sara - Obviously, I'm a GSR. I was never a fan of the older-man, younger-woman relationship, being a bit of a hippie, and so this wasn't a ship that on face value or the first viewing of a show I would EVER support. Likewise, when I first started watching, I hated both characters. The more you really gave the two characters a chance (and now they're my favorites) and the more you saw the relationship as more than just an itch the two need to scratch, you see a lot of complexity behind what could have been a very one-dimensional stereotypical relationship. And that's why I like it.

Greg/Sara - Maybe I just think they're cute together, maybe I just loved Greg's crush, but these two are really sweet. While GSR is my OTP, I always said that if they wanted to have Sara date Greg before getting together with Grissom, I'd really love that.

Catherine/Warrick - Catherine's single mother problem has been plaguing a lot of her relationships, and Warrick has always been really great with Lindsey. It also helps that they're both hot. But more than that, they just seem very right for each other and definitely respect and care for one-another very very much.

Nick/Greg - Now, I am REALLY not a fan of slash ships for the sake of slash ships (sorry, Fogs) because I do tend to want to stay where the canon is. So, having said that, I don't know why, but you just get such fantastic chemistry from these two. And, as I said before, it helps that they're both hot.

The ones that I don't like...

Catherine/Grissom - I am a big GC friendshipper. I think that whenever Grissom has his head up his ass, she's the first one to say so and has no problem knocking him down a few pegs in a gentle but firm way. They fit - they've known each other forever, they're great with each other, but that does not, to me, equal a good relationship. Cath wants to go out or wants to be around people and Grissom would probably prefer staying at home. Catherine doesn't really go for men like Grissom, either, preferring powerful or dangerous men, as Marg herself said. And while I think something may have happened in the past, I just don't think these two could ever make a long-term romantic relationship work. They make a great platonic married couple, though.

Nick/Sara - In truth, I think they make really really great friends. Obviously the fact that Sara immediately clued in on what was bothering him in Gum Drops and really gave him someone to lean on the way he has over the years. When she broke up with Hank, he was already trying to set her up. He's sweet and loving and they've probably thought about dating one-another because they care so much for each other. As I've said before, other than Grissom, Nick was probably the only really welcoming person for Sara when she first arrived in Las Vegas. Yet despite all that, I can't see them romantically. Like with GC, I can see them trying it, but I couldn't see them going any kind of distance. Unfortunately, I think Sara likes a little bit of friction (not like that) in any kind of relationship, or some kind of challenge, and I think Nick really would prefer everything to go smoothly.

7. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

Is this thread just to discuss ships from the original CSI? Because I honestly just don't have much an opinion on any possible ships for that show.
    However, I have a LOT of opinions in regard to ships for CSI:NY.

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

It's in shipper's central, so you should be fine.

9. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

See Islandgirl, Lament answered that on her post ;) so you are free to talk about CSI NY ships ;)

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Speaking of New York, although I know she has fans, as do her ships, I keep hearing that Lindsay is not a well-liked character.

Is there a reason for this?

11. cfar

cfar Pathologist

^ummm...probably not the place for this, but I think she's much more liked than some posts at the NY forum would indicate. If you want to read the diatribes against her (and Mrs. Belknap), try the "Why Lindsay Must Go" thread. If you want to read from people who like her, try the Anna/Lindsay and "Lindsay Love" threads.

On to ship-talk...

12. tabbiez

tabbiez Witness

I am a proud multi-shipper. Though my primary ship is GSR.

GSR: I love the angst. I just love how their love is almost taboo. It's meant to be :)

Sandle: Adorable. Though I mostly see it as a playful crush. Very cute ^^

Yobling: They have a great chemistry. I predict that we'll see more of this couple in season seven.

Snickers: I love Snickers. These two characters have a really special friendship. I like the Snickers sweetness, whereas with GSR I like the angst.

I don't like Grillows, I see Grissom and Catherine as a working relationship rather than a romantic one. It just doesn't work for me.

13. Dutchie

Dutchie Coroner

GSR: I just don't like it. I think he's too old, and she's trying too hard, he already turned her down.

Sandle: Now this is the LV ship for me, I just love the way they talk with each other, how he makes her laugh and they're just so cute.

Snicker: I think Sara and Nick are more like brother and sister...don't know why though.

YoBling: I wouldn't mind to see this. There is chemistry between them, I mean watch 'down the drain' Catherine needs someone and Warrick (in my opinion) is the best choice.

Grillows: I totally agree with Tabbiez on this one.

Maybe I'll post ships from the other shows later.

14. NHRFan

NHRFan Coroner

GSR- I don't like it. He way too old for her and treat her like crap. She is trying too hard for him and she has a crush on him.

Snickers- This is a ship I love. Nick and Sara flirt way too much and they don't act like brother and sister. Sara wouldn't say, "That shirt is ugly to Nick and he change it for her." And They look at each other for a while because they understand each other.

Sandle- I don't like this ship, Greg has a crush on Sara, that all is it. Sara don't have a crush on him, she care about him, that all it is. They act like brother and sister, right there and he is too young for her and too immarture for Sara. Sara is too serious. Don't get me wrong, he does make her smile, so it Nick. They don't make cute couple. Greg need someone that match him and except him for who he is.

Yobling- I'm not racist. I just don't think they make a cute couple, attraction, yes. In love, no.

Grillows- I like them, they are great together, Catherine know Grissom so well, so it Grissom.

I don't do slash, so I won't say anything.

15. hollie

hollie Pathologist

GSR - Really dont like it. Other people have mentioned that Grissom treats Sara like crap, it's true. And her character is strong and driven, but her weakness is Grissom, and that just annoys me.

Snickers - I've always though of them more as brother and sister, you know? Plus Nick is more of the romantic type, and Sara's not. Hard to explain.

Sandle - I love it because it's really fun and cute. Gilbert Greg has gotten more serious though out the series. So I think that they could end up together. I really want it to happen, but that's just me.

Grillows - Ehh... they're more friends then a couple. I really don't like this ship.

Yo!Bling - I love it! Cath and Warrick get along so well, and Warrick's great with Lindsay. They're both there for each other. It works out.

I don't have anything against slashes [trust me, Nick and Greg getting together would be .. hott!!], I just don't see it happening on the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.